PDA

View Full Version : re: "We miss Mike Stoops"

the_edge
9/30/2007, 12:20 AM
The biggest difference I have seen since Mike went to Arizona is a lack of fire and intensity on the field.

Remember 63-14, 13-2, the absolute ***-whippings of Iowa State and Texas Tech in 2002, the beating put on Washington State in the Rose Bowl, 65-13, and 77-0? The whole team, not just the defense, was on fire. They overwhelmed those teams with a passion to kick *** that I have not seen since.

I just don't think we have a "motivator" on the coaching staff right now that can match what Mike did. Sure, we have a lot of guys that can scream their heads off, but it doesn't seem like the players actually listen like they did to Mike.

"Big Game Bob" perhaps should have been "Big Game Mike." OU was 8-1 against AP top 10 teams with Mike here, and has gone 2-5 against them since. There were still the clunkers (just like today) that occured against weaker teams with Mike, but the way the team came out and dominated against those top teams seems like a 100 years ago now.

Yes, I'm well aware of how much Arizona still sucks even after Mike has had four years to turn them around, but I think there was a certain synergy with Bob and Mike together at OU.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I don't think we miss Mike just because the defense gives up more passing yards under Venables. It might be a lot deeper than that.