PDA

View Full Version : We may still have a chance

boomersooner28
9/29/2007, 10:33 PM
With us losing this early, we still might have a shot at the big one. Everybody is getting beat today. USC is NOT gonna go unscathed. LSU will probably lose at some point. We just gotta win out. What a frickin day.

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2007, 11:21 PM
I thought the talk of national titles was premature before we lost. I think talk of even a possible title is now out of the question. Utah State and North Texas are getting hammered every weekend. The Big-12 as a whole has fared very poorly. Even if we win out, there will be plenty of one-loss teams in the mix that will have the strength-of-schedule to edge us out.

Sorry, but I think our next title cannot be won until next year.

westcoast_sooner
9/30/2007, 12:00 AM
My initial thought was that we just took our beautiful storybook season and threw it in the toilet. But after today, and what's happened all season, this one is probably more up for grabs than any time in recent memory.

Think about it. LSU still has to play Florida and the rest of a tough SEC schedule. Hopefully Les and company will find a way to lose.

USC has to travel to Berkeley and there are always possible upsets at Autzen or ASU.

Point is, with one loss, if we can run the table, we'll still be in good position to make a run for the title. Never give up. I love my Sooners, and was pretty upset to blow a 17 point lead today. After seeing what happened to Texas, Florida, WV and Rutgers, it took a little bit of the sting out of the loss today. Next week, one team will leave the Cotton Bowl with 2 straight losses, we just want to make sure it's not us. If we take care of business, we'll be back in the hunt.

SoonerGM
9/30/2007, 12:14 AM
leroy, are you one of those fans that goes to the game and says "pull your head out stoops!" because we only get 8 yards on 1st and 10 instead of a first down?

Leroy Lizard
9/30/2007, 02:02 AM
No, I am actually one of the more reasonable fans when it comes to expectations and putting a game in perspective.

If we happened to meet KSU in the Big-12 title game and they were undefeated at the time, then maybe. I see no other way.

Bottom line: We absolutely need KSU to win out from here.

bcgvh
9/30/2007, 02:14 AM
Well, I don't know what we'll be ranked when the new polls come out, but I'd say that we'll be right in the mix as long as we win out and everyone ranked ahead of us loses. :)

OU Adonis
9/30/2007, 02:40 AM
If we can't beat a poor Colorado team how can we beat a good team?

Crucifax Autumn
9/30/2007, 02:58 AM
Our guys just had a bad day against a team that seems to have improved dramatically. It's not the end of the world, the sjy isn't falling, and based on a lot of what I saw today there are still a lot of teams with a shot at the big game, probably more than had a shot before today. SUC is obviously a team that can be beat and so is LSU. I'm just gonna hope we win out and watch everyone else take some losses along the way.

We weere getting too much media respect for comfort. At least now they won't start talking about how we may have the best team ever and all that assorted BS. We'll be OK..We fans just need to keep on doing what we've been doing - hoping we win the rest of our games and hoping the right teams lose, hopefully more than once.

MamaMia
9/30/2007, 07:11 AM
Even if all the top 10 teams lose one, it probably wont do us any good after the Colorado game. Even if we win the rest, we still have a big problem this year, which is, that the Big XII as a whole didn't look real good during pre-conference play. Thats not going to help us with our SOS. Even though Transghese folded under pressure and went about the business of shaving off the percentage that a teams SOS means in the grand scheme of things, its been our SOS thats helped us out of some possible binds caused by bias voting.

Then...with all the smaller schools allowed to make a bid, we may have some little unbeaten school some of us have never heard of win it all. After lasts years bowl game, we gave schools like that who win out, the opportunity to walk right through the arch down the big red carpet. Maybe after a few years of it turning out like it should be, that wont be the case, but for now, we made our bed in more ways than one.

At this point, the best we can hope for is a Big XII Championship, and the bowl game that comes with it. I would be real happy with that.

KABOOKIE
9/30/2007, 07:17 AM
All I know right now is if OU falls below Florida, I'm going to be ****ed.

Both lost on a last second FG but, OU was on the frickin' road.

MojoRisen
9/30/2007, 07:18 AM
As long as LSU looses 2

I think other teams will fall back - would not count on SC loosing more than one game this year.

All others are teams that can loose any week

jrsooner
9/30/2007, 07:24 AM
With us losing this early, we still might have a shot at the big one. Everybody is getting beat today. USC is NOT gonna go unscathed. LSU will probably lose at some point. We just gotta win out. What a frickin day.I've always said with the BCS, it's better to lose early than later. We can recover from this and move up pretty quickly. We just need to take care of business for the rest of the games.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/30/2007, 07:42 AM
Let me first say that I thought the defense played well yesterday but Colorado just seemed to slightly play better than us. While they did play better, this does not mean that the stars didn't have to align for them to win. So, they played better AND they got lucky. Now let me say that the team who showed up Saturday was not the same team we saw vs Tulsa, Miami, etc. If that "other" team shows up for the rest of the season, a one-loss season is very, very reasonable, and highly likely.

On the other hand, if "this" team we saw Saturday plays again, there is no reason to even suggest we will win the Big XII. If we lost to C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O, who the hell has the audacity to say that we could run the table?

Good thing is I think the "other" team will show up for the rest of the season. We need to get back to dominating from the beginning. It's always fun to score on the first possession, anyway, right? Easier said than done. :)

Oh...and....Malcolm Kelly.....YA HURD?

The_Red_Patriot
9/30/2007, 11:07 AM
Hate to say it but there is no chance of a national title game this year.

Maybe next

Soonerus
9/30/2007, 11:10 AM

Maybe next

There is always a chance...

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 11:16 AM
Let me first say that I thought the defense played well yesterday but Colorado just seemed to slightly play better than us.

We gave up 400 yards and 27 points!!!! Would have been 30 points but they missed an easy FG. Not to mention it was the #3 team vs an unranked team.

I hope we never play this well again.

kevpks
9/30/2007, 11:18 AM

These things happen in college football sometimes. Someone once told me they are called "upsets".

I think OU has beaten a few "good" teams already and will beat more of them and Baylor and OSU.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 11:22 AM
It ain't over till the fat T.Boone State cherleader sings.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/30/2007, 11:28 AM
We gave up 400 yards and 27 points!!!! Would have been 30 points but they missed an easy FG. Not to mention it was the #3 team vs an unranked team.

I hope we never play this well again.
Yeah, those are pretty bad numbers. The fact is that they can't be expected to play that much football and cause much more disruption for the CU offense than they did on Saturday. We knew, going into this game, that the secondary got exposed vs Tulsa. Maybe they should have had five interceptions, but they got two! They set up major points for the offense. And now, the most valid point for the defense.. time of possession. Ridiculous.

Let's see...
First Quarter:
--3rd and 7 at COL 28
Cody Hawkins pass intercepted by D.J. Wolfe at the Colo 44, returned for 33 yards to the Colo 11.
Sets up a touchdown for OU.

Second Quarter:
--Colorado drives from their own 31 for a touchdown.
DRIVE TOTALS: Colo drive: 8 plays 70 yards, 04:01 Colo TD

Third Quarter:
--3rd and 10 at COL 33
Cody Hawkins pass intercepted by D.J. Wolfe at the Colo 45, returned for 28 yards to the Colo 17.
Sets up a touchdown for OU.

--Colorado drives from their own 27 for a field goal.
DRIVE TOTALS: Colo drive: 10 plays 50 yards, 04:01 Colo FG

--Sam Bradford pass intercepted by Ryan Walters at the Colo 38, returned for no gain to the Colo 38.....sets up.....

Fourth Quarter:
--Cody Hawkins pass complete to Tyson DeVree for 4 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
DRIVE TOTALS: Colo drive: 9 plays 62 yards, 03:32 Colo TD

--Sam Bradford pass intercepted by Daniel Dykes at the Okla 43, returned for no gain to the Okla 43.
--Cody Hawkins pass complete to Dusty Sprague for 15 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.
DRIVE TOTALS: Colo drive: 3 plays 16 yards, 00:39 Colo TD

--Colorado drives from the 50 to the OU 28.
Kevin Eberhart 45 yard field goal GOOD.

Average play. Looks to me like the punt coverage and the offense gave the game to Colorado, not the defense.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 02:41 PM
Because it is a different game every week. How did Auburn beat Florida but almost lose to K-State and lose to USF and Mississippi State which has only beat Tulane and Gardner-Webb? If OU and CU play 10 time OU probably wins 8 of them, but anyone has a one time shot. I also think CU isn't as bad as they looked against ASU and FSU, they have improved greatly. They may win the North if they play that way the rest of the season.

KC//CRIMSON
9/30/2007, 02:45 PM

Maybe next

True. And I think most reasonable fans knew it before the first game.

Piware
9/30/2007, 02:45 PM
The Sooners aren't out of this at all. Everyone had left us for dead last year and the next think you know we are the Big XII champs. I agree that if you are going to lose, do it early as there is lots of football to be played.

Boomer Sooner!!

KC//CRIMSON
9/30/2007, 02:50 PM
The Sooners aren't out of this at all. Everyone had left us for dead last year and the next think you know we are the Big XII champs. I agree that if you are going to lose, do it early as there is lots of football to be played.

Boomer Sooner!!

Sure, we could finish strong maybe go to the CCG, but this team would get their a** handed to them in a NC game.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Who knows? No one has looked "great" this season so far.

KC//CRIMSON
9/30/2007, 03:44 PM
Who knows? No one has looked "great" this season so far.

I think it's pretty safe to say that USC or LSU would beat OU soundly even if they haven't "looked" great.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 03:54 PM
Was it safe to say that CU was going to beat OU this past weekend or that Auburn was going to beat Florida at The Swamp? Every game is a different set of circumstances so pretty much anything is possible....good or bad.

Now do I think it is probable, no but I also didn't think that OU would go to the Big 12 CCG or a BCS bowl last season.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 05:05 PM
Personally I believe the REAL OU team plowed UM51-10 and that the team that lost to Ralphie and Herd will not be seen again this year.Yes,I realize that I am looking through CRIMSON lenses.What can I say?They are a genetic gift.

LRoss
9/30/2007, 05:30 PM
To me, this is feeling a LOT like the year that there were no undefeateds and 3 1-loss teams. A lot of things have to fall and we have to do things like not lose again before any of them matter, but I don't think ALL hope has been vanquished.