PDA

View Full Version : The official "WAAH we lost a game let's fire all the coaches" thread.

mikee likee
9/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Our Defensive secondary is very porous. Bobby Jack Wright you sir are out of your league. I know the offense sucked in the 2nd half but damn.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 04:09 PM
IN

Widescreen
9/29/2007, 04:09 PM
They did everything they could but they were on the field the entire 2nd half. Blame the offense and the coaches. And give Colorado credit. They played WAY better than we did in all 3 phases.

.Tim
9/29/2007, 04:11 PM
It would have been nice if the receivers actually put some effort into catching the ball.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 04:11 PM
Wouldnt playin man worked better instead of that zone we were running?

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 04:12 PM
I wish we would save OUr meltdowns until after the RRS. &%**&#%@* I better not see one bring back Mike Stoops thread. F this nickel defensive scheme. F those officials. I guess all the Big 12 whiners can quit whining about the other B 12 teams embarassing us.

soonercody
9/29/2007, 04:14 PM
Coaching and a big case of the dummass lost this game. Colorado also beat us.

tommieharris91
9/29/2007, 04:15 PM
If we could have cought the ball we would have won, but the drops today counted for all 3 of our turnovers and would have kept the defense off the field.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 04:16 PM
I'll just say I was IN before this game.

snp
9/29/2007, 04:18 PM
Yea let's fault the defense for being on the field for the entire second half.

tommieharris91
9/29/2007, 04:19 PM
I'll just say our non-catches that turned into turnovers is what cost us this game. If anyone needs to be fired its Wilson and the recievers coach.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 04:20 PM
If we could have cought the ball we would have won, but the drops today counted for all 3 of our turnovers and would have kept the defense off the field.

Agreed,

Much like the ball, the reason for this loss can be found at the feet of the receivers and tight ends. (pardons to Iggy who played fairly well)

Newbomb Turk
let's just fire the whole darn coaching staff every time we lose a game.

:rolleyes:

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
Granted their were turnovers, but the last possesion for CU in the 3rd Q started the meltdown, and yeah I put that drive on the OU D!!!

1-10-CO38 (3:22) Byron Ellis rushed for 5 yards.
2-5-CO43 (2:48) Hugh Charles rushed for 10 yards.
1-10-OK47 (2:20) Byron Ellis rushed for 12 yards.
1-10-OK35 (1:55) Hugh Charles rushed for 23 yards.
1-10-OK12 (1:24) CO was penalized 5 yards.
1-15-OK17 (1:00) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 3 yards. OK was penalized 7 yards.
1-0-OK7 (0:53) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 3 yards.
2-0-OK4 (15:00) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 1 yard.
Colorado Buffaloes at 15:00
3-0-OK4 (15:00) Cody Hawkins passed incomplete.
4-0-OK4 (14:50) Touchdown. Cody Hawkins passed to Tyson DeVree for 4 yards.
(14:50) Kevin Eberhart made the extra point.

55 yards on five straight running plays, that is just awful :(

OU Adonis
9/29/2007, 04:21 PM
Our offense stunk.. our defense stunk....

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 04:22 PM
Well the defense is out there to defend. If they just do their job then they are not in that position. yeah yeah yeah the dropped passes and what not as well. I GET IT.

Doged
9/29/2007, 04:22 PM
1. Mike's not coming back. Get over it.

2. Colorado's defense won this game. OUr defense played well enough to win if OUr offense could have handled the CU defensive effort.

3. Agreed the secondary STILL needs work.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 04:23 PM
Granted their were turnovers, but the last possesion for CU in the 3rd Q started the meltdown, and yeah I put that drive on the OU D!!!

1-10-CO38 (3:22) Byron Ellis rushed for 5 yards.
2-5-CO43 (2:48) Hugh Charles rushed for 10 yards.
1-10-OK47 (2:20) Byron Ellis rushed for 12 yards.
1-10-OK35 (1:55) Hugh Charles rushed for 23 yards.
1-10-OK12 (1:24) CO was penalized 5 yards.
1-15-OK17 (1:00) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 3 yards. OK was penalized 7 yards.
1-0-OK7 (0:53) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 3 yards.
2-0-OK4 (15:00) Demetrius Sumler rushed for 1 yard.
Colorado Buffaloes at 15:00
3-0-OK4 (15:00) Cody Hawkins passed incomplete.
4-0-OK4 (14:50) Touchdown. Cody Hawkins passed to Tyson DeVree for 4 yards.
(14:50) Kevin Eberhart made the extra point.

55 yards on five straight running plays, that is just awful :(

They were worn smooth out. Even if Bob Stoops poo poos the notion, people not used to the air up there get winded easily. You can't leave the D out there all day without negative consequences.:mad:

Remembering Tom Stidham
Did Kelly play?

OU Adonis

Your right.. Lets not over react. Most pundits had this game even up.

Not to mention the fact the talent level was the same on the field.

stoopified
9/29/2007, 04:24 PM
This game just totally sucked.

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/29/2007, 04:25 PM
Did Kelly play? I don't remember his name being called.

Sooner1979
9/29/2007, 04:26 PM
I have never seen Stoops call that conservative of a game....I am extremely ****ed....We ran up the middle for no gain on every play....I am very very ****ed....I honestly think that as many times we dropped the ball, we never went deep...

Honestly, I usually do not rip our coaches, but that was pure coaching....Sure we did not execute, but we also did not play to win that game...Colorado is not that good....In fact, Venables is the reason we lost that game....

I Have always had faith in our coaches, but that game was the poorest coached game that OU has played with the talent that we have, ever....

We new Colorado had a decent run defense, but we never tried to expose their Secondary....Just awful....freakin awful...

Our game plan was not to win, but they developed the scheme to hopefully not lose....

I dont care how many dropped passes we had, Malcolm Kelly never even was a variable in this game....We should have known that our running game was not working because they stacked the line...Instead of going 3 and out on run plays every single down, I would much rather of gone 3 and out going down field trying to spread their defense out...Why didnt we even attempt it...It is going to take a long time to get over this loss....A very long time...

Just Pathetic....

anonamoose
9/29/2007, 04:26 PM
This thread is idiotic. If you think the secondary lost this game then you are clueless and should watch tennis instead of football

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 04:28 PM
*%#^ Mike Stoops. Let's run a 4 -3 attack defense with superior athletes. We don't need to play 4-2 gap give em all day to throw it BS against inferior talent. BV doesn't get to call the Base scheme. As long as we continue to run this scheme we will lose a game or two that we should not lose every MFing year. I don't give a F if Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry is your D coordinator, keep running a prevent and somebody will drop it in your zone all day.

D-Sweet
9/29/2007, 04:30 PM
Kelly played. But he didn't have a single ball thrown his way.

IronSooner
9/29/2007, 04:31 PM
No. I don't know why everyone's ragging on the WRs. We only had one. I think Gresham had one catch, Finley got thrown to maybe twice. I think those were accidents. Would've been nice to have Kelly though, I remember him being a pretty decent WR.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 04:41 PM
We need another thread about coaching. What does everyone else think?

1890MilesToNorman
9/29/2007, 04:45 PM
No way I am blaming the D for this one, they put the O in great shape for 2 TD's. This one lays squarely on our O and Colorado's D, CU's D did their job and our O did not. I congratulate CU for keeping the ball out our hands, the time of possession was lopsided in their favor.

On any given Saturday my friends!

Newbomb Turk
Your right.. Lets not over react

you should have stopped right there.

usmc-sooner
our defense pulled the same stuff it's always pulled under Venables a total breakdown late in the game. The secondary is so freakin over-rated it's not funny. After the Tulsa game I was like geeze I hope our secondary isn't as bad as it looked against Tulsa.
and with all that our offense was worse. Sam your a Fr but we've got a WR who's good enough to go pro as a Jr. and you don't even throw it his way. Yet you can fire 20 passes to Iglesias even into double coverage. Finley you're a TE catch the ball. We ran the same sweep to Patrick on just about every first down in the second half. Heck we were setting up to run it on 3rd and 6. This looked very familiar to the offense I thought Chuck Long was responsible for, yet he's been gone 2 years.
Oh well, once again we've some of the best athletes in the nation, but we've got Coaches buddies running his DC and OC. So again today we got outcoached and outplayed by lesser talent, which seems to be a trend. Over the last several years we are set up as being (aside from Michigan) the team that suffers the shocking upsets.

today vs CU
last year vs BSU
the year before with TCU
the year before that USC
the year before that KSU and LSU.

RedGiant
The receivers were lazy, perhaps the position coach thinks they have the right to win. Finley drops two valuable passes. A CRITICAL muffed punt. BUT...

The team had yet another melt down in the 4th quarter against a team that keeps coming at them. The defense was on the field all day because they couldn't stop CU in the second half so yes the majority of the blame goes to the vaunted "best secondary in the nation" and a coordinator that can't make adjustments, thus leaving his D "on the field all day". Receivers were wide open for TD's and catching passes in space. And those mistakes I talked about earlier made against TU that other teams would take advantage of, were cashed in by Colorado. I hate to say it but they looked like they just didn't have the heart to win. They gave up a 3 score lead and in the second half Colorado ran, blocked, tackled, passed, and covered, better, faster, and harder than OU. They took one to the chin and then stood around waiting on someone else to respond for them. I talked about this very thing being what would separate the top teams. We saw today how it worked out. We saw in the OB how it worked out.

I'm all in...

Theskipster
9/29/2007, 04:46 PM
No. I don't know why everyone's ragging on the WRs. We only had one. I think Gresham had one catch, Finley got thrown to maybe twice. I think those were accidents. Would've been nice to have Kelly though, I remember him being a pretty decent WR.

We had more than one drop.

Three things cost us this game.

1. Our Receivers dropping easy balls
2. Reggie Smith's mental error
3. Kevin Wilson channeling the spirit of Chuck Long.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/29/2007, 04:48 PM
I think I need more drinks.

RedGiant
9/29/2007, 04:50 PM

This type of thing is becoming a trend with these guys. The one consistency is the coaches. You do the math. After 4 years of defensive meltdowns, something needs to be looked at. Talk about being on the field all day all you want but giving up touchdowns and an all around team collapse to inferior teams is getting to be a habit.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 04:50 PM
We had more than one drop.

Three things cost us this game.

1. Our Receivers dropping easy balls
2. Reggie Smith's mental error
3. Kevin Wilson channeling the spirit of Chuck Long.

4. our typical BV second half defensive melt down.

We didn't even have a guy lined up on the guy who caught one of there TD passes.

StoopTroup
9/29/2007, 04:52 PM
I smell a merge.

LittleWingSooner
The offense did nothing all 2nd half and we weren't prepared for a bad Colorado team. This was a team loss, Offense, defense, special teams, coaching everything.

Boomer.....
I would rather lose now than late in the season. We still have the opportunity to save our season and an outside shot at the MNC

RedGiant
9/29/2007, 04:54 PM
NO shot at the MNC.

LittleWingSooner
9/29/2007, 04:55 PM
Not even close to the poorest coached game. Oregon last year, TCU, UCLA, Tulsa year before, USC the year before.

We have looked a lot worst coached over the last few years.

A lot of todays problems were youth related.

SoonerBOI
9/29/2007, 04:57 PM
I did not like our playcalling. We were out of our comfort zone. No fire. We froze. But I still love our Sooners.

StoopTroup
9/29/2007, 05:01 PM
CU's Coach did a great job of waking his kids up at the half.

They should be very proud of themselves for beating OU.

I hate that they did but....it's in the books.

Hopefully our guys will use this as a positive.

Hopefully many of our posters will too.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/29/2007, 05:03 PM
Not to take anything from our offense's suckiness, but I thought our passing defense sucked from the beginning. And the Buffs must have set some sort of record for 4th down conversions against us.

There's plenty of blame to pass around everywhere. I have never seen us get so many STUPID, AVOIDABLE, COSTLY penalties.

RedGiant
9/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Yes the offense played poorly. Yes special teams were less than spectacular. BUT, the defense looked worse than either of those. When you're giving up wide open first downs and all by your lonesome TD's, you stink and should be blamed. They had yet another opportunity to win a game and failed once more. OU used to win games with defense. Now they're winning in spite of it. OU never adjusted to Colorado. They got blocked and blown open for chunks of yardage and TD's in the second half all while standing around looking dumbfounded.

devOUt
9/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Some pressure on the qb like we put on him in the 2nd quarter would have been nice in the 2nd half. There were also plenty of open colorado receivers.The defense deserves some of the credit for this one.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 05:05 PM
We don't belong in the same breath as NC.

trey
9/29/2007, 05:08 PM
we have a coach that is going to win his 5th big 12 title.....anyone who hates on bob is an idiot! like the great michael irvin once said, "big time players, make big time plays, in big time games", we didn't make the plays today! let's go down to dallas and kick ut's ***!

tommieharris91
9/29/2007, 05:10 PM
Yes the offense played poorly. Yes special teams were less than spectacular. BUT, the defense looked worse than either of those. When you're giving up wide open first downs and all by your lonesome TD's, you stink and should be blamed. They had yet another opportunity to win a game and failed once more. OU used to win games with defense. Now they're winning in spite of it. OU never adjusted to Colorado. They got blocked and blown open for chunks of yardage and TD's in the second half all while standing around looking dumbfounded.

Defenses will be exposed when that team's offense keeps finding ways to put it's teams defense on the field. Colorado controlled the ball for at least 20:00 of the second half, it seemed like.

KABOOKIE
9/29/2007, 05:19 PM
The defesne was on the field the entire game because they couldn't stop a freaking team that had only completed 20% of their 3rd conversion until today.

24 Points. That's enough to win on the road and the defense looked like that same defense during the 1 point loss last season to BSU. Out of position and absolutley clueless.

Hey look! A colorado player is open again!

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 05:26 PM
as ****ty as the offense was and it was ****ty, they weren't responsible for giving up more 4th down conversions and 3rd and longs than I think I've ever seen, missed tackles stupid penalties.

Just think they didn't even have to run the hook-n-ladder or the statue of liberty play to win this one.

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 05:27 PM
Brent and Kevin should share blame equally in this one

Sooner1979
9/29/2007, 05:28 PM
we have a coach that is going to win his 5th big 12 title.....anyone who hates on bob is an idiot! like the great michael irvin once said, "big time players, make big time plays, in big time games", we didn't make the plays today! let's go down to dallas and kick ut's ***!

You have completey taken what I said out of context....I love Bob Stoops and wouldnt change for any coach in the nation, but if you do not think that the game calling wasnt **** poor this game, then you know nothing about football...Bob Stoops still is and has been the winingest coach in the last 8 years, but this game was very poorly called....Think outside the box....

If you want me to compare, Pete Carroll, aka deuchbag, couldnt have won this game with the play calling in place...That is all I was saying, so quit defending something you know nothing about...

I have and always will be the biggest defender of Bob in the Sooner Nation, but I am very dissappointed in the predictable and poor playing call today...That is all I was saying....

RedGiant
9/29/2007, 05:28 PM
This was a big time game apparently, it was certainly in need of big time plays, by big time players. None responded for OU.

soonersn2007
9/29/2007, 05:33 PM
To be honest, to take this one game and analyze it.............you would have to lay alot of blame at Kevin Wilson's conservative play calling. We just got Boise'd again.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 05:35 PM
Brent and Kevin should share blame equally in this one

I agree

fadada1
9/29/2007, 05:36 PM
see texas last year. i almost broke the TV watching the second half of that game. this game was a close second to that game for second half playcalling.

MissouriSooner
9/29/2007, 05:36 PM
We just got Boise'd again.

Amen. Same sick feeling all over again.

sooner518
9/29/2007, 05:39 PM
anyone else think that Hawkins should have had about 6 interceptions today? Smith dropped one in the first quarter that wouldve been a pick 6. Lendy had at least 2 that he dropped, one that was right to him. Lofton dropped one in the endzone right before the TD that got CU to 17.

Just seemed like we had alot of chances to get takeaways and didnt take advantage.

otis
9/29/2007, 05:42 PM
Could be that we havent played anyone colorado seemed to realize that and we didnt. Fact is we overlooked colorado and we got our monkey spanked.

Boomer.....
9/29/2007, 05:42 PM
You never know..........

Say we win out and LSU and USC get beat, which could very well happen, we will be in the rear view.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 05:43 PM
anyone else think that Hawkins should have had about 6 interceptions today? Smith dropped one in the first quarter that wouldve been a pick 6. Lendy had at least 2 that he dropped, one that was right to him. Lofton dropped one in the endzone right before the TD that got CU to 17.

Just seemed like we had alot of chances to get takeaways and didnt take advantage.

yeah that's true, but we had a lot of chances for tackles we just whiffed on, man that sounds familiar. They had 2 Fr. one their O-Line, we should have taken advantage of that. We gave their WR's way to much cushion. I'm really at a loss for words.

Its the same thing I've seen since 2004, missed tackles, a poor secondary, rush the QB falters late in the game.
Only to be complimented by our WTF was that offense.

aurorasooner
9/29/2007, 05:47 PM
wow. where can I start. 1) Our D got gassed. Our offense tested our D today, and lost. 2) CU's running game formation sets are light years ahead of ours (as was Alabama's when we played them--we just out-talented them, with some luck as well) That deep back 1-back set needs to go, it's too predictably simple against a team with a quality defensive front and good, fast LBs, even with a good OL. 3) Our receivers and DBs need to get with the tennis ball machine and start practice catching, catching, and more catching and we need to definitely use the roll-out or moving pocket more with Bradford 4) Our OL is not great. they're good but they need some quality running back sets to give them an edge instead of just having to beat sometimes 2 defenders. Sorry can't see this against BV and the D, imo the O lost this game with sorry execution 3 and outs, lousy 3rd down play calling and execution, and KW got punked again imo, trying to not show too much before the Texas game. Sam is a 1st year QB, but you would think he was a 3 year starter the way the plays were called today. Congrats to CU, they came out in the 2nd half and especially in the 4th quarter and were able to run the ball and win the game.
JMHO we won't win the big 12 championship with the 1 back deep I-back set especially if Sam comes back down to earth, M. Johnson catches 1 pass and Kelly is completely shut down. BTW, I thought either CU (just like Boise State) was either intercepting our offensive calls or it's just too damn easy for a D-co-ordinator with a good D-front and good fast LBs to game plan against our running game. Tough loss.

Texas Golfer
9/29/2007, 05:47 PM
I blame the defense. They never put any significant pressure on Hawkins and, when they did, they let him merely juke them out. We had at least two interceptions right in our defenders hands and merely dropped them without contact.

I blame the offense. There were at least 10 dropped passes and both interceptions came of OU receivers' hands. If you can touch the ball, you can catch the ball. The OL got manhandled all day.

I blame the special teams. They got way too many return yards. And our receiver just let the ball slide right through his hands.

It was an all around very bad performance by the Sooners. Perhaps we were looking past Colorado at Texas. Whatever the reason for the bad performance, we gave this game away.

But the biggest problem I have is that none of our players (offense, defense, or special teams) could catch a football. No excuses for all of the dropped balls.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 05:48 PM
You never know..........

Say we win out and LSU and USC get beat, which could very well happen, we will be in the rear view.

there is still tOSU, Florida, W. Va at least they didn't lose to a .500 team, and another thing LSU and USC aren't going to lose to a .500 team and they don't have the history of being the team that loses the shockers like us right now.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/29/2007, 05:50 PM
I better not see one bring back Mike Stoops thread.

Too late.

LittleWingSooner
9/29/2007, 05:51 PM
The offense didn't move the ball at all. The defense played well as long as it could but was worn down by having to play 80 plays.

LittleWingSooner
9/29/2007, 05:55 PM
Stoops is a defensive guy and wants to beat teams physically. OU won't ever again out play teams. Just outphysical teams. That's the way it will be from now till Stoops retires.

aurorasooner
9/29/2007, 05:55 PM
Do NOT blame the defense for this I agree completely. This one is on the offense. Players and coaches, and congrats to Coloado, they just flat beat our azz down the stretch. jmho.

Texas Golfer
9/29/2007, 06:02 PM
Stoops is a defensive guy and wants to beat teams physically. OU won't ever again out play teams. Just outphysical teams. That's the way it will be from now till Stoops retires.

I don't think "outphyical" is a word but, if it is, we got "outphysicalled" today.

KABOOKIE
9/29/2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, well I guess OU's offense can't score 60+ everygame. :rolleyes:

wileyousooner
9/29/2007, 06:11 PM
ultimately, the loss is on everyone...the players and coaches. i do believe some of the coaches need to be sent packing though. improvements need to be made. and what is up with the offensive line? couldn't open a hole today.

SoonerGM
9/29/2007, 06:17 PM
honestly i dont know how you can blame it on the playcalling. the offense hardly had the ball in the 2nd half. that would be a problem of execution. although i thing we got jacked by the refs yet again, i do give credit to CU for having a good defense.

my only disappointment with the coaching for now is the running game up the middle. i have been saying that this is a weakness. you can probably search my posts for this pretty easy since i dont post much :)

but i was countered with something about the opposing defense stacking the box. whatever. you have to find a way to run up middle, especially when our offense puts so much emphasis on it.

i feel sorry for our defense. they played so long... it was probably about 3 normal games worth of defense. i hope thier bodies have enough time to heal and recover for next week.

Doged
9/29/2007, 06:20 PM
I say it was the dropped passes, with the inspired Colorado defensive effort coming in a close second.

You?

Killerbees
9/29/2007, 06:23 PM
Poor poor game plan and prep on part of coaches and players. and it showed.

soonermeteor
9/29/2007, 06:27 PM
I agree with most of you guys, the D doesn't deserve to get blamed. They had some iffy times giving up those 10 yard pass plays, but we still would have won the game if it weren't for turnovers. In fact, they even saved the game for us, twice. Hold Colorado to a field goal, we throw an int. Hold Colorado to a punt, we freaking drop the ball. :(

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/29/2007, 06:30 PM
Colorado was hungrier for it than we were.

StoopTroup
9/29/2007, 06:31 PM
Reggie dropping that punt hurt as bad as both of the tipped INT's.

Also....

During the half they commented on OU going 1 for 5 on 3rd down in the first half.

I discounted it as I thought we had the game under control at the time but as we made turnovers in the 2nd half...I think we put pressure on ourselves and our offense shut down.

After that the defense was just trying to make something happen. We dropped a couple of balls on defense that would have changed the tide too...

If I had to put it all on one thing though....

Not calling a TO and trying to ice the CU kicker was a mistake IMO.

soonermeteor
9/29/2007, 06:32 PM
Turning over the ball in the fourth quarter.

Pigface1
9/29/2007, 06:41 PM
Coaching.

Our offense looked like some 1927 three yards and a cloud of dust dog turd. Don't throw to the tight ends, don't get Kelly involved, keep Demarco on the bench. 3rd and 7 and running 4 yard curl routes.

Our defense had them 3rd and long several times and never blitzed. Never sent the dogs, never pressed, no pressure on the QB, nothing. The CBs are sitting 10 yards off the WRs b/c they're afraid they'll get burned deep.

I'm sick and tired of hearing Vennables post games.. "Oh, I don't know, they just ran the ball well." Bulls***. Nut up and blitz on third and long instead of this conservative crap.

Stoops needs to tell those guys to get it together or GTFO. If he's going to get paid that kind of money, then show up.

Getting tired of this crap.

Rhino
9/29/2007, 06:43 PM
Playing crappy was the biggest factor.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 06:44 PM
Dropped passes and fumble.

We didn't execute like we should have, but if you just make a few catches, that hit you in the hands, and field a punt cleanly we are griping about how close the game was instead of why we lost.

Beef
9/29/2007, 06:45 PM
Our lines getting their asses handed to them. All. Day.

devOUt
9/29/2007, 06:48 PM
We failed to take control of the game early in the 3rd quarter. It was there for the taking.

tbl
9/29/2007, 06:49 PM
Underprepared... overconfident... poor play on both sides of the ball... bad coaching adjustments... dropped passes... wait, you actually think we can isolate this to ONE factor?

soonersweetie
9/29/2007, 06:59 PM
not involving Malcolm Kelly. 2 interesting tidbits. Coach Hawkins used to be at Boise St. and during the Fiesta Bowl against BSU, Kelly was taken out of the game too.

Missing Kelly hurt us in both games.

OklahomaTuba
9/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Freshman QB+Under-rated Colorado D+turnovers+worn out D+special teams meltdown+busted coverages+dropped passes+looking ahead to texass = upset.

It won't happen next week, I can assure you.

Rocker
9/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Mike Stoops will not be coming back to OU.

FirstandGoal
9/29/2007, 07:03 PM
not scoring more points than them.

I think that's what did it.

Texas Golfer
9/29/2007, 07:05 PM
Dropped passes and fumble.

We didn't execute like we should have, but if you just make a few catches, that hit you in the hands, and field a punt cleanly we are griping about how close the game was instead of why we lost.

I agree. We dropped almost a dozen passes. Our defense dropped two sure interceptions (one in the endzone allowing CU to score on the next play). Our punt returner dropped an easy punt.

All three turnovers were the result of poor catching attempts. Their two fourth quarter TDs were both off of OU turnovers.

I'm having difficulty trying to understand how players at this level still don't know how to catch a football.

Notice that I'm intentionally not mentioning any names.

silverwheels
9/29/2007, 07:05 PM
Mike Stoops won't come back and he wouldn't help either.

OklahomaRed
9/29/2007, 07:16 PM
What was our D's deal with not being able to stop them on 3rd and long, and on 4th down? That hurt. Our O's inability to catch a pass and move the ball, and the dropped punt was just the nail in the coffin.

ruf/nekdad
9/29/2007, 07:23 PM
altitude.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 07:26 PM
altitude.
exactly.

The altitude of the ball was always less than our players hands.

FtwTxSooner
9/29/2007, 07:27 PM
This was a total complete failure. From the head coach, down to everyone that stepped foot on the field. Its hard to find any sunshine out there. The team deserves to get ripped for that performance.

OklahomaTuba
9/29/2007, 07:29 PM
Remember when we almost lost to Kansas before the texass game in 2000???

There was way more looking ahead then anyone wants to admit. This was a trap game, pure and simple.

mdklatt
9/29/2007, 07:34 PM
NO shot at the MNC.

You're right. Nobody has ever won an MNC after losing a game before.

soonercop
9/29/2007, 07:35 PM
Just got back from the game.

The Offense lost this game, end of discussion. They were absolutely terrible, terrible, terrible. From their opening possession they seemed to play with a lack of motivation and enthusiasm. If you weren't at the game, you wouldn't understand.

The problem I have is that it seems like every single season Stoops and his staff lays an egg in a game we should not lose. Whether it be OSU, Texas A&M, or whoever. Maybe my expectations are too high and, if that's the case, I will adjust them. Losing to Texas is one thing. Losing to a 2-2, unranked CU team should just not happen. Period.

And to all the people who said OU was unproven and hadn't played anyone, well, you were right. We were exposed today.

r5TPsooner
9/29/2007, 07:38 PM
Is Malcolm Kelly hurt or did he decide to take his 2nd game in a row off?

Did he even have one catch today?

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 07:39 PM
Too late.

LOL....it had to happen:)

bluedogok
9/29/2007, 07:42 PM
It's all about perspective, this is still better than the Smells of bourbon or Blake years.

MextheBulldog
9/29/2007, 07:42 PM
Offensive game plan was very questionable. Other than that:

-Turnovers (INT's and punt fumble)
-Two 4th down conversions by CU, including a touchdown
-Dropped passes
-The overturned first down catch with 2 min to go

Colorado made this into a four quarter game. And we could not hang in there.

OklahomaRed
9/29/2007, 07:43 PM
After today's play, we are not MNC material. Perhaps, through the course of the season, Sam can read a little better, learn to avoid the rush a little better, and our secondary can strengthen up a little. Our linebackers played okay, but we needed a little more heat on the passer. Can't give another MNC team that much time to pass. Our secondary can not leave a MNC team's WR's that uncovered. Our TE's can't drop passes, and our special team's can't drop punts. I think we can still win the Big 12 South, and we'll see how we are playing, and who we end up against in the Big 12 Championship; however, we are going to have to improve some between now and then to be considered MNC.

Fred Garvin
9/29/2007, 07:45 PM
not involving Malcolm Kelly. 2 interesting tidbits. Coach Hawkins used to be at Boise St. and during the Fiesta Bowl against BSU, Kelly was taken out of the game too.

Missing Kelly hurt us in both games.

QFT

MextheBulldog
9/29/2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, if you cannot beat Colorado, you are not MNC material. Fully expected Sammy B to struggle at some point during the season, but not here or like this.

MamaMia
9/29/2007, 07:48 PM
A lot of the players looked tired and unrested to me; like they didn't get a good nights rest. I think thats why they had so many turnovers.

mightysooner
9/29/2007, 07:52 PM
Another incompetent performance by Venables and an arrogantly conservative offensive game plan by Wilson in my opinion.

I'm sorry sooner fans to have to say this.....but Venables has cost us game after game after game with his underprepared and scared defensive play calling. It's been 3 years of poor secondary play with busted play after busted play and looking confused in the defensive backfield. I'm tired of our superior corners being lined up 12 yards off the opposing receivers when their WR's are crap. Enough of this soft zone crap. Any decent QB can pick a soft zone apart. Just run to the hole in the zone and stand there and you'll be open every time. Enough....

Sorry for the rant. I'm frustrated.....

bluedogok
It could happen, there are no "great" teams so far this year. Already this weekend there have been 7 losses by top 25 teams to lower or unranked teams including 4 in the Top 10. LSU didn't look that good against Tulane, USC is struggling right now, Florida was behind Auburn at The Swamp the last score that I saw.

It is a wide open season and there are too many more games left to play before things are settled.

tulsaoilerfan
We don't belong in the same breath as NC.
Right now i agree.

MamaMia
9/29/2007, 07:53 PM
Until we can do that consistently, there will be no National Championship. :(

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 07:54 PM
Yea let's fault the defense for being on the field for the entire second half.
I'm sick of hearing that statement; get your asses in gear and stop a freakin' run play once in a while and you can get your *** off the field; that argument is pretty lame IMO(No offense to you Pirate)

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 07:55 PM
It's all about perspective, this is still better than the Smells of bourbon or Blake years.

Hmm would I rather have Boo or Snelly??? Obviously, I would rather have Stoops. I wish he would get back into attack mode. On side kicks, fake punts, try to block a filed goal try to block a punt, run an attack defense vs. a two linebacker zone. I can promise as long as we run this Defensive scheme we will struggle against great talent and lay an egg against crap talent once or twice a year. Successful coaches all get more and more conservative as the years go by. OUr defensive scheme is designed to be a gap control bend but don't break defense. That is good if the Offense is controlling the ball and scoring, but if they don't you are f'd. Bottom line, we need to go back to a base 4-3 with multiple looks. I would rather have an extra linebacker in the game than an extra db that can tackle after a catch has been made in his zone. Mike Stoops would not help OUr situation as long as we run this scheme.

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 07:56 PM
Do we ever play anything on Defense besides that very soft zone?

OklahomaRed
9/29/2007, 08:01 PM
I'm sick of hearing that statement; get your asses in gear and stop a freakin' run play once in a while and you can get your *** off the field; that argument is pretty lame IMO(No offense to you Pirate)

Good point. If you want off the field, then stop them three and out and get off the frickin' field. Yes, the O was flat, and KW called perhaps the most conservative game I've seen all year. How about some pressure on that mediocre QB of theirs? Guy has a weak arm, and we're acting like he's Bret Favre or something. Conservative play on both sides of the ball, along with the inability to execute lost us the game. Don't lay this loss at the feet of the Offense. The D played like crap, too.

OklahomaRed

Good point. If you want off the field, then stop them three and out and get off the frickin' field. Yes, the O was flat, and KW called perhaps the most conservative game I've seen all year. How about some pressure on that mediocre QB of theirs? Guy has a weak arm, and we're acting like he's Bret Favre or something. Conservative play on both sides of the ball, along with the inability to execute lost us the game. Don't lay this loss at the feet of the Offense. The D played like crap, too.

OklahomaRed

Argggghhhh. Dreaded double post.

soonerhubs
9/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Does anyone think that maybe the boys were affected by this thing called altitude? Now remember per Billy Tubbs that doesn't affect you indoors ;), but I know that 2nd half must have just taken the wind out of our team. I really don't think they gave up, I think they were exhausted.

SoonerEmpire
9/29/2007, 08:06 PM
What factor MOST cost us the game?

I don't think there is any ONE factor that cost us more than any others. We were beaten in EVERY aspect of the game. In no particular order:

- Not having ONE single pass going Malcolm Kelly's way is unacceptable!
- To Kevin Wilson: How many times do you have to run the ball to figure out we can't run the ball?!?!?! WHERE THE HELL WAS OUR PASSING GAME?!?!
- Special teams were NOT special by any stretch of the imagination!
- Dropped passes on the few opportunities our receivers/tight ends got!
- Thin air in high altitude
- Defense got tired
- Team looking ahead to texass
- EXTREMELY vanilla offense

I don't think any reasonable and rational human being can possibly blame the defense (although, I do admit, our secondary seems as suspect as ever). But for the most part, the defense played their a*ses off. Problem is, on offense, the coaches play calling - along with the offense's inability to execute - didn't really do the defense any favors. The defense was on the field all day. They got tired. The altitude and thin air didn't really help much either.

So, what factor MOST cost us the game? None of them specifically. It was a combination of EVERYTHING with all things being equal. Don't get me wrong. You have to give CU credit for kicking our a$$. They won that game fair and square and deserved to win that game. Congrats to CU for that. However, OU gave them a lot of help too. Fact is, if OU and CU play 10 times on a neutral field, OU wins 9 of them. Today just happened to be that 1 time in 10.

Am I p*ss*d about this loss? You're damn right I am! But I also realize that this is just the way it goes from time to time... with EVERY team - not just OU! I realize that OU is NOT as bad as they played today. It's college football. It happens.

Texass' loss is interesting. When was the last time both OU and texass lost in a BIG upset on the same day?! I STILL think OU is far superior to texass this year and SHOULD destroy them in Dallas on 10/6. However, with our loss today, all bets are off. Especially considering that this is THE greatest rivalry game in college football. Throw out the rankings. Throw out the stats. Anything can happen in this game, and often does.

With both teams coming off a loss today, next weekend's RRS may get VERY... VERY... NASTY! Why? Because BOTH teams now feel they have something to prove... and in a big way.

In the end, I think we'll be okay. It's not the end of the world. The sun will still rise tomorrow. For all the doomsayers out there, keep in mind we're not the only ones this happened to. 5 ranked teams went down this weekend. 3 of them were all in the Top 10. And that's just THIS weekend. There have been NUMEROUS upsets in the previous 4 weeks of the season. I can't remember seeing a season with so many upsets... and we're not even to the half-way mark yet! The season is NOT over just because we lost ONE game. Lets let the season play itself out and reserve judgment on our team until it's all said and done.

In the mean time, let us all now put our focus on beating the hell out of texass!!!!!

Katy's Most Wanted
9/29/2007, 08:07 PM
The similarity is to let their friendship cloud their assessment of their assistants.
Mac has hung onto his OC and DC regardless of their inept performance when it comes to having to coach, plan and execute. And he has paid dearly for this shortcoming.
We have the same situation and Bob just will not cut these guys loose in spite of their obvious deficiencies and continual failure in big games.
A previous thread hit it dead on - everyone has good players because the high school talent pool is so big so you cannot win on raw talent alone. Plus the fact that these high school kids need more instruction on the finer points of the game and how to play in big games. they still require coaching.
How many times have we come into a game unprepared, lacking motivation, and getting no direction when needed in the heat of battle.
Sorry, Offensive and Defensive coordinators have got to go.

bluedogok
9/29/2007, 08:07 PM
Argggghhhh. Dreaded double post.
Nah...you got a triple play with that one.

OklahomaRed
9/29/2007, 08:08 PM
I bet RRSO game tickets might get a little cheaper, and hotels a little more easy to find? :D

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 08:09 PM
I agree. We dropped almost a dozen passes. Our defense dropped two sure interceptions (one in the endzone allowing CU to score on the next play). Our punt returner dropped an easy punt.

All three turnovers were the result of poor catching attempts. Their two fourth quarter TDs were both off of OU turnovers.

I'm having difficulty trying to understand how players at this level still don't know how to catch a football.

Notice that I'm intentionally not mentioning any names.
I think all the drops are the result of a team not being mentally ready to play

soonervet
9/29/2007, 08:13 PM
I have never seen Stoops call that conservative of a game....I am extremely ****ed....We ran up the middle for no gain on every play....I am very very ****ed....I honestly think that as many times we dropped the ball, we never went deep...

Honestly, I usually do not rip our coaches, but that was pure coaching....Sure we did not execute, but we also did not play to win that game...Colorado is not that good....In fact, Venables is the reason we lost that game....

I Have always had faith in our coaches, but that game was the poorest coached game that OU has played with the talent that we have, ever....

We new Colorado had a decent run defense, but we never tried to expose their Secondary....Just awful....freakin awful...

Our game plan was not to win, but they developed the scheme to hopefully not lose....

I dont care how many dropped passes we had, Malcolm Kelly never even was a variable in this game....We should have known that our running game was not working because they stacked the line...Instead of going 3 and out on run plays every single down, I would much rather of gone 3 and out going down field trying to spread their defense out...Why didnt we even attempt it...It is going to take a long time to get over this loss....A very long time...

Just Pathetic....

I totally agree, did you see how Stoops coached Reggie into dropping that punt.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 08:13 PM
same defense I've seen for a while, can't count on them. If you can get them in 1st or 2nd and 20, 3rd and 10 it's almost a gimme

I'm amazed at how some of you just roll over for this, that CU offense was pathetic until it met OU.

the D, the O, the special teams, the coaching, pathetic

one of those teams was hungry, one of them came back from a 17 point lead, one of those teams wasn't us.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 08:14 PM
I think all the drops are the result of a team not being mentally ready to play
I think they were the results of shaking hands with Avon reps.

GrapevineSooner
9/29/2007, 08:16 PM
I think Tuba and General Akbar were right to a degree.

But our offensive line did not play well at all today. And when the offense couldn't sustain any semblance of a drive in the second half, our d-line got gassed.

Sooner1979
9/29/2007, 08:16 PM
The similarity is to let their friendship cloud their assessment of their assistants.
Mac has hung onto his OC and DC regardless of their inept performance when it comes to having to coach, plan and execute. And he has paid dearly for this shortcoming.
We have the same situation and Bob just will not cut these guys loose in spite of their obvious deficiencies and continual failure in big games.
A previous thread hit it dead on - everyone has good players because the high school talent pool is so big so you cannot win on raw talent alone. Plus the fact that these high school kids need more instruction on the finer points of the game and how to play in big games. they still require coaching.
How many times have we come into a game unprepared, lacking motivation, and getting no direction when needed in the heat of battle.

You may be on to something, but do not ever, I repeat ever compare Bob Stoops to Mack Brown....I would rather have Fran up here than Mack...Well, maybe not, but Mack is the Anti-Christ.....

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 08:19 PM
I think they were the results of shaking hands with Avon reps.
Too much :pop: before the game maybe?

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 08:19 PM
Maybe this loss can be pinned on crappy message board posters.

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2007, 08:20 PM
Agreed mama, this has been a problem going back to 2001 and it ain't getting fixed

Soonerus
9/29/2007, 08:21 PM

Thank you for the analysis, Chicken Little...

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 08:22 PM
well, truthfully, it didn't appear like we could defend against the run too well either.

adoniijahsooner
I agree; Brent V makes his assignments too complex for the kids to pickup. I remember him saying that mike reed cant catch on to the defense; but when they recruited him he played a defense where you fly to the ball. Not all this gap control and zone crap that allow young players to think themselves out the game, by over analyzing what's going on on every play.

TMcGee86
so true. We are much better than last year, but the underneath stuff is kiling us. I didn't like how the lb's looked in coverage today.

That being said, it was not the only thing that lost us the game. The OL seems to have been reading their press clippings. Uninspired, to say the least.

tulsaoilerfan
well, truthfully, it didn't appear like we could defend against the run too well either.
Yeah, and that makes for a pretty long ****ing day for your defense; is it scheme, execution, or talent?:pop:

getrdone
9/29/2007, 08:26 PM
How about not calling timeout with 20 seconds left, make them kick the fg then, if they make it, they have to kick off and we at least have a prayer. it seemed as though we accepted defeat. never leave a timeout in the bag in a close game if it can help you. That is coaches not communicating or thinking. The timeout we had left could have made a difference.

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 08:27 PM
Yeah, and that makes for a pretty long ****ing day for your defense; is it scheme, execution, or talent?:pop:

it could be GWB's fault.
according to the SO, everything else is.

getrdone
9/29/2007, 08:29 PM
How about not using the timeout with 20 second left. if they make the fg, which they did, they have to kick off to us and we have 1 or maybe 2 plays, or hell a good return might get us in range to tie or win, but we walked off the field with the last timeout not used, hey stoops, they can't be redeemed at chuck e cheeses for prizes, why not use the damn thing

jduggle
9/29/2007, 08:32 PM
I couldn't agree more.... this zone defense that Stoops and Venables believe in works great against poor teams. But once you get a decent QB and an OC who knows anything they expose it for what it is... soft. I don't see the Baltimore Ravens playing much cover 2...and I can't understand when our secondary is obviously clueless as to how to make transitions and how to read routes why Venables stays with this defensive scheme. How many times are we going to see somebody wide open in the end zone and a DB trailing the play badly burned.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 08:33 PM
They hadn't accepted defeat.

That's a terrible leap of interpretation.

They obviously felt they had a better chance by taking the route they took.

It's easy to pick it apart since it didn't work.

TMcGee86
I watched the team take the field and I had a bad feeling. They didn't have the inspired look that they had shown the four previous games.

The last time I saw them take the field so nonchalantly was TCU two years ago.

I love Bob more than life itself but if he has one big flaw it is getting a good team inspired to play a mediocre team.

Soonerus
We basically did not have the ball to establish any type of offense, especially in the 2nd half...

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 08:34 PM
heh.

Yeah, the way Bob held his clipboard was a sure sign for a long afternoon too.......

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 08:35 PM
what part of Brent's complex defense allows for a WR to not even be covered for a TD? What about the numerous mis tackles, the secondary?

My Gawd when did football get so complex? It's been a few years and we just don't seem to get it.

Mean while LSU has the #1 defense in the nation, and we make excuses for Brent.

mightysooner
9/29/2007, 08:36 PM
Ill sign on with this. Please come back Mike.

jduggle
9/29/2007, 08:37 PM
I just don't agree with BVs zone defense philosophy and I'm surprised that Stoops continues to stay with it. When you have the athletes we have, jam the receivers and play some man. The pros play more man than anything because they know any good QB will the zone alive.

85sooners
9/29/2007, 08:37 PM
I couldn't agree more.... this zone defense that Stoops and Venables believe in works great against poor teams. But once you get a decent QB and an OC who knows anything they expose it for what it is... soft. I don't see the Baltimore Ravens playing much cover 2...and I can't understand when our secondary is obviously clueless as to how to make transitions and how to read routes why Venables stays with this defensive scheme. How many times are we going to see somebody wide open in the end zone and a DB trailing the play badly burned.
we have seen it for 6 years now and it sucks ....fix it !!

birddog
9/29/2007, 08:39 PM
some of you people are out of your effing minds.

mightysooner
9/29/2007, 08:40 PM
Yup....I've had enough of this busted coverage crap and soft zone "give it up" defense.

captain_surly
9/29/2007, 08:41 PM
Conference championship is still in our sights. Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

zevogolf
9/29/2007, 08:42 PM
Yup....I've had enough of this busted coverage crap and soft zone "give it up" defense.

The most complete TEAM loss in many years!!!!! We have great coaches but they STUNK it up today!!!!! Need to get way better to win next week!!!!

*****Horrible offensive game plan…*******
Are there any other receivers other than Iglesias???
Not one pass thrown to Number 4!!!!!
Cannot run off tackle!!!!
Cannot run wide!!!!
NO SECOND HALF adjustments!!!!
FRESHMAN quarterback!!!
Offensive line STUNK it up today!!!!

Corners playing 10 yards off receivers will keep getting us beat!!!!
Defense played pretty decent, but just gor tired.
Why is Reggie even catching that last punt???
From the 3 yard line let receiver run free in endzone IN FRONT of defenders!!
Walker lets receiver get behind him after playing off 15 yards????
Bobby Jack Wright ???????

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 08:42 PM
and ask him if he knows a good OC.

getrdone
9/29/2007, 08:44 PM
and what route was that san antonio-let's sit here with the timeout up our *** and hope he misses?

zevogolf
The most complete TEAM loss in many years!!!!! We have great coaches but they STUNK it up today!!!!! Need to get way better to win next week!!!!

Cannot run wide!!!!
FRESHMAN quarterback!!!

Plus no leadership displayed by any player!!!!!!

mightysooner
X2

royalfan5
9/29/2007, 08:45 PM
This same thread is probably on the Nebraska boards too.

Texas Golfer
9/29/2007, 08:45 PM
We lost the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 08:46 PM
Does anyone think that maybe the boys were affected by this thing called altitude? Now remember per Billy Tubbs that doesn't affect you indoors ;), but I know that 2nd half must have just taken the wind out of our team. I really don't think they gave up, I think they were exhausted.

Agreed, I think if you look at the way the game played out it was a factor. We seemed to loosen up their D as the first half wore on. Why, because the offense began to move the ball in the 2nd qtr and our D were getting the short drives and 3 and outs. We were wearing on them good at the end of the half. After halftime we had several 3 and outs on offense and continued to have 3 and outs even as their O was starting to move the ball in the middle of the 3rd. Even our 1 scoring drive in the second half was all of about 1 minute. The more our D was on the field, the worse they got. By the end, they all looked gassed. If we had not left the D on the field as much as we did, or if we were better acclimated to the altitude, it most likely would not have happened.

Not an excuse
IMHO for what its worth.

zevogolf
Mike is not perfect but he is better than what we got. But you have to remember OSU and TAM when Mike was here!!!!

mightysooner

Cannot run wide!!!!
FRESHMAN quarterback!!!

Feelin ya on all counts.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 08:49 PM
and what route was that san antonio-let's sit here with the timeout up our *** and hope he misses?
Kickers fully expect to be iced. By having them come out and try to hit it with the clock ticking and not getting the expected time out you force them to deal with the situation without having time to talk about it and plan.

Yeah, it's debatable, but I don't disagree with the approach myself.

Texas Golfer
9/29/2007, 08:50 PM
Blowing a 24-7 lead in the third quarter is causing me to reconsider that decision.

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 08:50 PM

and the rest of us?

:D

LSUdeek
9/29/2007, 08:52 PM
they coulda hired him as HC.. o well, your loss is our gain. :D

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 08:55 PM
honestly i dont know how you can blame it on the playcalling.

Kelly: 0 catches. 0 passes thrown his way.
Grisham: 1 catch, 1 pass thrown his way.
Murray: 3 touches(possibly wrong on this one)

I think Finley and Iglesias had more drops each than the total touches by the above players.

But yeah, the coaches can't influence who is in the game or who gets the touches. :rolleyes:

SOONER STEAKER
9/29/2007, 08:56 PM
Marcus Walker couldn't guard the water bucket. Reggie Smith fumbling the punt and those receivers who couldn't catch a cold at a grade school.

Pure pathetic play!! Were we looking forward to smexas?

TMcGee86
9/29/2007, 08:56 PM
Kickers fully expect to be iced. By having them come out and try to hit it with the clock ticking and not getting the expected time out you force them to deal with the situation without having time to talk about it and plan.

Yeah, it's debatable, but I don't disagree with the approach myself.

I agree, i think it's almost more likely to catch the kicker off guard by not calling it as it is by calling it.

It definitely didn't cost us the game.

We just came out flat. And stayed flat, both coaches and players.

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 08:58 PM
DC doesn't matter as long as they have to run the 2 linebacker prevent scheme.

zevogolf
9/29/2007, 08:59 PM
This thread is idiotic. If you think the secondary lost this game then you are clueless and should watch tennis instead of football
You my friend are the one that is clueless. The secondary had a BIG PART in this loss, probably not the only reason but a BIG PART!!!!!!

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 09:00 PM
We basically did not have the ball to establish any type of offense, especially in the 2nd half...

I'm confused about the logic of this type of post. Are you trying to say that the offense sucked so bad nobody should be held accountable for it's suckiness?

I guess the suckiness that was OU's offense was just a natural phenomenon or an act of God. It was nobody's fault....least of all Wilson's. :cool:

illinisooner
Schemes

canes4ever
OU is not out of the NC picture by any means however the margin for error is probably gone. It's must win out now and your schedule allows for that to happen. With todays upsets OU should not drop more than a position or two. You now need either USC or LSU to lose which is certainly not impossible. It's not the end of the world..yet. Good luck.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 09:04 PM
don't start applying logic to Rus's posts.

You'll stay happier.

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 09:06 PM
Folks don't fool yourselves. The Head Coach is responsible for the defensive scheme we run. It works great if the O is controlling the ball and the inside tackles are causing havic and controlling the middle gaps. At other times this scheme has troubles. This was a total team loss. Dropped balls, a muffed punt, exhausted defense, bad timing on some calls and presto magnifico we are at least a year away from getting OUr hopes up for #8.

Soonerus
9/29/2007, 09:09 PM
I thought Hawkins called a pretty good game...

mightysooner
9/29/2007, 09:10 PM
Agree with Katy. Sorry.....but the parallels are definitely there. Nepotism is in full effect in Soonerland and has been for 4 years now.

SoonerGM
9/29/2007, 09:12 PM
Kelly: 0 catches. 0 passes thrown his way.
Grisham: 1 catch, 1 pass thrown his way.
Murray: 3 touches(possibly wrong on this one)

I think Finley and Iglesias had more drops each than the total touches by the above players.

But yeah, the coaches can't influence who is in the game or who gets the touches. :rolleyes:

oops. in another thread, i did actually say that iglesias should have been taken out of the game since his rubber hand syndrome had resurfaced. but still, thats not necessarilly play calling.

JLB
9/29/2007, 09:13 PM
The offensive and I mean "OFFENSIVE" coordinator and our starting O lost this game.
The offense must have thought they where the 'Greatest Show on Turf" and got their asses handed to them.

JLB
9/29/2007, 09:16 PM

Just Pathetic....

Man I agree 100 percent.It was a **** poor coaching job.:pop:

JLB
9/29/2007, 09:22 PM
what part of Brent's complex defense allows for a WR to not even be covered for a TD? What about the numerous mis tackles, the secondary?

My Gawd when did football get so complex? It's been a few years and we just don't seem to get it.

Mean while LSU has the #1 defense in the nation, and we make excuses for Brent.

HaHa,no ****.Statue of Liberty.

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 09:22 PM
Maybe this loss can be pinned on crappy message board posters.

Damn, I've been found out.

Actually, I blame this loss on the law of averages. The law of averages caught up with this coaching staff. Sooner or later if you play conservative and allow the opposing home team to stay in the game it is going to cost you.

OU may have snuck another one out if they hadn't had a couple of bad breaks go against them but , again, that's where the law of averages is going to catch up with you.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 09:25 PM
I just hate this. Screw replay. I only cried because know there is this big "What if?", you know?

I hate it.

Octavian
9/29/2007, 09:26 PM
It's not the defense.

Without the defense's assistance that gave us great field position....we would've scored 10 points.

It wasn't the defense. The offense pathetically underachieved because there was no leadership and no vision as to how to utilize all the studs we have.

There were people in the stands that could have called a better game than Kevin Wilson.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 09:26 PM
crying is for girls and little kids.

tator
9/29/2007, 09:27 PM
Welcome to college football :)

It's a love/hate for sure.

Octavian
9/29/2007, 09:28 PM
Once again...if you're an offensive coordinator....and you have Malcolm Kelly....and you never even ATTEMPT to throw his way.....you're very lucky not to be fired the Monday after a loss.

tator
9/29/2007, 09:29 PM
I don't dig Elmer's. Crown is my vice. Except I never decided to stop that... hrmm...

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 09:29 PM
crying is for girls and little kids.

nah, i just care that much.

soonergirlNeugene
9/29/2007, 09:31 PM
Plain and simple, we just didn't execute. That goes for the offense, defense, and special teams. Though you have to give the defense a bit of a break considering that they spent almost the entire second half out on the field.

It's hard to put a finger on what went wrong for us in that game as there were just so many areas where we looked sloppy. Colorado came ready to play but I can't help but wonder if we spent more time thinking about Texas than Colorado this week.

birddog
9/29/2007, 09:31 PM
problem is we hardly ever lose so it is tough to take when they do.

i take all the losses hard.

OUmillenium
9/29/2007, 09:32 PM
Good point on MK.

The Venables zone appears too much. Oregona and Boise carved it up lasty year, CU today.

Dio
9/29/2007, 09:32 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Dio
9/29/2007, 09:34 PM
Bob and Mack are alike.............

You shut your dirty whore mouth.

;)

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 09:35 PM
I hate losing. But I've got too much real life to worry about to go on suicide watch.

soonergirlNeugene
9/29/2007, 09:35 PM
Settle down, guys. It's a long season and we have a lot more going for us than we did this time last year.

tator
9/29/2007, 09:37 PM
I hate losing. But I've got too much real life to worry about to go on suicide watch.

My real life is more reason to go on suicide watch than an OU loss.

Seamus
9/29/2007, 09:39 PM
Give me a break. :rolleyes:

CRASH 02
9/29/2007, 09:40 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/679c2e20-d2de-4296-a1bf-a9b62624f2b2.jpg

AllAboutThe'O'
9/29/2007, 09:42 PM
they coulda hired him as HC.. o well, your loss is our gain. :D
Unless Arkansas hires him to be Nutt's replacement.

Rogue
9/29/2007, 09:44 PM
We have some of the best DB's I've seen in one backfield. The scheme back there sucks bad. Let'em play some man, that's why you recruit kids with 4.3 speed. We just lack fire on the defensive side of the ball. And, yeah, we got pushed around in the trenches some, but a major problem the slow developing, delayed run plays that get stuffed unless the stars happen to align perfectly. Hit the damn hole, hit it hard, hit it fast! It's been a winning proposition for 115 years, but for some reason KW doesn't coach it.

I need a big old drink.

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2007, 09:47 PM
I dont mind seeing a player be devastated by what happened today; especially one that played a big part in the loss.

Soonerus
9/29/2007, 09:49 PM
Reggie is a great player....

OUmillenium
9/29/2007, 09:49 PM
Roger, Roger.

Brent Venables has never seen a grown man naked, unless you count Vince Young.

colinreturn
9/29/2007, 09:50 PM
i saw that earlier. it is really a great picture. it really explains what we are feeling.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 09:51 PM
Reggie is a great player....
....that knows he contributed heavily to this loss..........

RedRum
9/29/2007, 09:52 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

HE'S COMIN' RIGHT AT US!!!!!!!!!

Ever
9/29/2007, 09:52 PM
I was sitting with 5 Longhorn fans desperately trying to find the game on Dish Network... I thank God UT lost too, or I would have had an even worse afternoon...

No worries - always better to lose early in the BCS. Beating UT is really all I wanted this season.

adoniijahsooner
9/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Did anybody else see Ryan Reynolds look extremely slow and unathletic today? I almost felt sorry for limping all over the field; it was pathetic. BV says the "linebackers are better with him in there", but today he couldnt get in to coverage, and on top of that he whiffed on alot of tackles.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 10:02 PM
....that knows he contributed heavily to this loss..........

What are you cool for this comment?

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 10:05 PM
What are you cool for this comment?
Just commenting on the particular look of pain on his face.

It's not just a "we lost as a team" look on his face.

It's a "I screwed up" look on his face.

and yeah........I'm cool for making the comment.

GottaHavePride
9/29/2007, 10:05 PM
Jeebus. Overreact much? First Road game. Hostile environment. Low oxygen due to high altitude. Sloppy play caught up to us.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 10:08 PM
Just commenting on the particular look of pain on his face.

It's not just a "we lost as a team" look on his face.

It's a "I screwed up" look on his face.

and yeah........I'm cool for making the comment.

I'm pretty sure it's a "we lost as a team" look on his face. That's why Colorado fans are running onto the field. Because they just lost as a team. Thanks man.

Oh and you're pretty cool.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a "we lost as a team" look on his face. That's why Colorado fans are running onto the field. Because they just lost as a team. Thanks man.

Oh and you're pretty cool.
Interpret it how you like.

Since I'm smarter I'll stick with my interpretation.

birddog
9/29/2007, 10:15 PM
Agree with Katy. Sorry.....but the parallels are definitely there. Nepotism is in full effect in Soonerland and has been for 4 years now.

do you know what nepotism means?

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 10:16 PM
Agreed,

Much like the ball, the reason for this loss can be found at the feet of the receivers and tight ends. (pardons to Iggy who played fairly well)

What game did you watch? Iggy looked like his last year's version of Mr. Butter Fingers. Yet he was no where near as bad as Finley. Finley was just out and out atrocious today.

Maybe that was CU's gameplan. Once they figured uou Iglesias and Finley couldn't catch a cold today they triple covered everybody else and dared OU to throw to those 2.

Gresham should have had way more balls thrown to him.
Kelly should have....don't even get me started.
Murray should have gotten more touches.
Wilson should have brought an oxygen tank to Boulder because the altitude apparently caused him to have a severe case of the head-up-his-@$$itis.

Mjcpr
9/29/2007, 10:17 PM
I just hate this. Screw replay. I only cried because know there is this big "What if?", you know?

I hate it.

Hey, Mrs JeffMaxWell has been posting under your screen name. I don't know if you knew that.

badger
9/29/2007, 10:19 PM
NP and I decided to go Christmas present shopping three months early for the past four hours. It was a lot of fun and we enjoyed it very much. There will be a very happy future sister-in-law with a Sooner Build-a-Bear this December :)

TRUST STOOPS. He's led us to numerous conference titles and a national championship. Oh, and please stop starting a bunch of new threads every two seconds that basically say the same thing as existing threads. It's annoying.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 10:25 PM
What game did you watch? Iggy looked like his last year's version of Mr. Butter Fingers. Yet he was no where near as bad as Finley. Finley was just out and out atrocious today.

Maybe that was CU's gameplan. Once they figured uou Iglesias and Finley couldn't catch a cold today they triple covered everybody else and dared OU to throw to those 2.

Gresham should have had way more balls thrown to him.
Kelly should have....don't even get me started.
Murray should have gotten more touches.
Wilson should have brought an oxygen tank to Boulder because the altitude apparently caused him to have a severe case of the head-up-his-@$$itis.

I haven't looked at stats but I do remember Iggy making some catches, as well as Gresham. Kelly didn't show up at all. (prob not his fault) And JJF just stunk it up everytime the ball came towards him. If Iggy was the one that gave up the 2 picks on tipped balls, so be it. But both those balls were high. It really falls on the receivers as a whole cause none really showed up.

I still say this loss is the ultimate result of all the 3 and outs and short drives by our O.

UberSooner
9/29/2007, 10:26 PM
We have become the image of our coaches, at heart, a big ten team. I don't mean that to be a put down but if you watch any big ten football, I know its gag inducing, we look like they do. We run predictable offensive sets and count on our physicality to wear opponents down. Our defense is prepared to give up yardage to stop the big play and gamble with blitzes to garner the occasional payoff turnover or sack. We are vanilla in scheme and Baskin Robins in talent. It works more often than not and you kill the teams that can't match up with you player for player. You lose when you play a comparable opponent who will bet on high risk (trick plays and 4th down go for its). This is who we are. I'll take it compared to where we were before
Stoops but if you look at our evolution post Leach, we look less and less like the team that won a national championship and more and more like a team just happy to be in the Rose Bowl.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 10:27 PM
Poetic Justice, Florida just lost on a last second field goal

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 10:32 PM
We have become the image of our coaches, at heart, a big ten team. I don't mean that to be a put down but if you watch any big ten football, I know its gag inducing, we look like they do. We run predictable offensive sets and count on our physicality to wear opponents down. Our defense is prepared to give up yardage to stop the big play and gamble with blitzes to garner the occasional payoff turnover or sack. We are vanilla in scheme and Baskin Robins in talent. It works more often than not and you kill the teams that can't match up with you player for player. You lose when you play a comparable opponent who will bet on high risk (trick plays and 4th down go for its). This is who we are. I'll take it compared to where we were before
Stoops but if you look at our evolution post Leach, we look less and less like the team that won a national championship and more and more like a team just happy to be in the Rose Bowl.

Unfortunately, that pretty accurate.:(

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 10:40 PM
I havent read all of this thread but has the thought been thrown out there that our defense sucked it up? Prolly not here cause our D is the best of all time right?? :rolleyes:

birddog
9/29/2007, 10:40 PM
it's funny that when we win, we don't get any coverage. when we lose, that's all you see on espn.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 10:41 PM
when you beat nobody, it's not news.

when you lose to nobody, it is.

Petro-Sooner
9/29/2007, 10:41 PM
I blame the trainers. Cause it wasnt the defences fault at all!!!!

Mjcpr
9/29/2007, 10:42 PM

Somebody ought to put this on a sign and hang it up by the Play Like a Champion Today one.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 10:43 PM
I did get misty typing it.

birddog
9/29/2007, 10:44 PM

if that's the case, then no news is good news.

Soonerus
9/29/2007, 11:04 PM
...is very curious and questionable strategy....after further review...

OUTromBoNado
9/29/2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about this at the time. I assume he was banking on the kicker missing..especially since he missed a shorter one earlier and that would have been his career long.

But yeah, I was yelling at the TV wondering why we weren't stopping the clock in case of a score.

josh09
9/30/2007, 01:11 AM
No need to fire any coaches, we just had an off day, and if it werent for a couple tipped passes and a bad call on an obvious completion, we would have had this.

Oh, and if our offense could have been on the field for more than 5 minutes in the entire 2nd half.

mikeb
9/30/2007, 01:23 AM
There is no reason for the best wide receiver in the nation to not have one ball thrown his way. I just watched the game again and I can tell Bradford does not even look his way. WHY???? It seems as if Iggy is his best friend. Are they roommates or something? There is more to this story and I want answers. And yes I have been drinking a little.

illinisooner
9/30/2007, 02:39 AM
The play calling on offense was poor, but so was the execution. Dropped passes and Sam locking on Iglesias as his #1 (and apparently, only) read every time were contributing factors. The offensive line takes some blame for failing to consistently run and pass block. Defensively, it's all about the schemes. Can't fault the players for not making a stop when they're told to give a 10 yard cushion on a 3rd and 7. I was waiting for one of the guys to say "screw it, I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear the play right" and play man. That's just the pass D, that says nothing of our run D. I seriously thought we might be lining up in the wrong gaps because of the runs Charles was making.

The refs calls didn't help, but they also didn't kill us like Oregon or Tech, even if the one replay was blatantly inconclusive. We did everything we could to give Colorado the keys to an upset, and give the Buffs credit, because they came back from 17 (I think?) down to win. The worst part is, you knew it was going to happen as the 4th quarter unfolded, just a very sickening feeling. Especially when the Iglesias catch was overturned.

Unfortunately, this pretty much places the national title out of reach. Sure, USC and LSU might lose...but they'll most likely lose to a team like Oregon, Cal, or Florida. Their one loss is alot better than our one loss. It will take a miracle for either team to lose two or get upset by a Stanford/Vandy team. And we have to play lights out the rest of the year, especially against Texas and Mizzou. Is getting to New Orleans possible? Yes. Do we need alot of help? Yes. Anyway, just my thoughts.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 09:46 AM
No need to fire any coaches, we just had an off day, and if it werent for a couple tipped passes and a bad call on an obvious completion, we would have had this.

Oh, and if our offense could have been on the field for more than 5 minutes in the entire 2nd half.
Unfortunately if this had been the first time anything like this had happened I could call it an off day. It looked just like the defensive effort against KSU, BSU, USC, and Oregon, to name but a few. This has become habitual under the current coordinators. 24 points should've put Colorado away. I'm sure FSU would tell you the same thing. These guys hadn't run against anyone all year and blew OU open in the second-half because Vulnerables can't adjust on the fly. They had barely been able to pass, against OU Hawkins was picking up 3rd and 4th downs like they were going out of style at CRITICAL points in the game. They gave up a 4th down TD for cripes sake. They committed Bad penalties keeping drives alive and giving up field position. There were LONG 3rd downs picked up by WIDE open receivers. It's a habit. Yes the offense didn't look great, but yes they did enough to win against Colorado.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 09:53 AM

Absolutely dead on. This used to be a team that would give you everything it had to win, players AND coaches. Not anymore. Good enough has become good enough.

LittleWingSooner
9/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Much of this thread is an example of why excuses are stupid and I hate em. I'm glad Stoops isn't an excuses guy. He didn't make em yesterday. We simply got outplayed and out coached. Lost to a better coached team. It's really that simple.

I hope this changes something with Stoops and the staff and we come up with better gameplans, but it isn't the first time in recent years that we've had the lesser coached team.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 01:29 PM
Much of this thread is an example of why excuses are stupid and I hate em. I'm glad Stoops isn't an excuses guy. He didn't make em yesterday. We simply got outplayed and out coached. Lost to a better coached team. It's really that simple.

I hope this changes something with Stoops and the staff and we come up with better gameplans, but it isn't the first time in recent years that we've had the lesser coached team.
Unfortunately he's been saying that an awful lot the last few years. It's not gonna change because he thinks he's untouchable. If he didn't he'd have done something by now. It's the same s**t different year. This staff will never win a NC. But hey, we get to play for the Big XII, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Animal Mother
9/30/2007, 09:02 PM

As they say and I hope I'm not repeating from earlier,
"Excuses are like azzholes. Everybody's got one.

soonerhubs
9/30/2007, 09:34 PM
Open letter to the Oklahoma Sooner Football Team:
Thanks men for giving so much to making this team special. There are going to be off games, but I challenge anyone in the world to claim not having off days in life.

I'm proud of you Reggie Smith for giving your all and being such an amazing corner, the despair some cameraman caught on your face tells me you are a man who takes responsibility for his actions. Don't lose that quality, it makes you the priceless element to this team that you are.

Iglesias hell of an effort, and I'm sure you'll have more receiving yards next week.

Kelly, keep shining as you run great routs and make defenses double up.

Patrick, your hitting of the gaps continues to impress and you should hold your head up high.

Offensive line, you boys are doing well, and continue to improve those are the gaps are running backs appreciate.

Defense, you were practically working what I'd consider a quadruple shift in the 2nd half Saturday, and you should be commended for not stopping, the way you kept fighting should make you proud.

Sam Bradford, your game wasn't that bad at all, continue to grow, and continue to make Oklahoma proud. Your the general and your leadership will continue to show with each new game. The cliche "growing before our eyes" doesn't fit you because your maturity has been high from day one. KEEP IT UP!

Soonerfans! Be proud! I love being a Soonerfan, and I love cheering my team on week in and week out.

God bless these Sooners! God bless the effort they put in! God bless the coaches for developing a program that is consistently amazing every year.

BOOMER!