PDA

View Full Version : ...and, to top it all off, I'm unemployed.

Frozen Sooner
9/29/2007, 06:57 PM
:D

Accepted a job at a different credit union last night. Turned in my two weeks notice today and was informed that they would no longer be requiring my services.

My week-and-a-half vacation just turned into damn near a month. :D

OUHOMER
9/29/2007, 06:59 PM
WELL, CONGRATES, I would love to have a month off and start a new job

Boomer.....
9/29/2007, 07:01 PM
Great news. Live it up!

Newbomb Turk
9/29/2007, 07:02 PM
Nothing like them letting you go after you give your two weeks. Enjoy the time off and good luck with the new job.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 07:02 PM
At least you have that great moderator pay to fall back on.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/29/2007, 07:21 PM
You can post to your heart's content.(don't get hooked, however)

Newbomb Turk
9/29/2007, 07:29 PM
At least you have that great moderator pay to fall back on.

the good thing is he's probably getting paid for the two weeks. Mod pay will have to take care of the rest.

TopDaugIn2000
9/29/2007, 07:29 PM
I've never been that lucky, past employers have worked my *** off the last 2 weeks.

Frozen Sooner
9/29/2007, 07:31 PM
the good thing is he's probably getting paid for the two weeks. Mod pay will have to take care of the rest.

Heh. Yep.

Newbomb Turk
9/29/2007, 07:32 PM
I've never been that lucky, past employers have worked my *** off the last 2 weeks.

based on your job history, that is like what, 18-20 weeks of working your *** off?

;)

Okla-homey
9/29/2007, 07:59 PM
You should compare notes with TD2K. She loves changing gigs! That gal changes jobs like Mrs. Homey changes her hair color...frequently and with wild abandon.

SoonerBOI
9/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Cheers!

bluedogok
9/29/2007, 08:34 PM
That has been my experience, the last one even wanted me to finish some projects on a contract basis.

Congrats, I took a week off between jobs in August.

soonerboomer93
9/29/2007, 08:49 PM
You should compare notes with TD2K. She loves changing gigs! That gal changes jobs like Mrs. Homey changes her hair color...frequently and with wild abandon.

yeah, her and 1tc are definitely in competition

but then he just celebrated 1 year with the same company

soonerboomer93
9/29/2007, 08:55 PM

when people bothered to give me notice, the first thing I would ask them was when their new job start. Most of them indicated they could start basically immediately and I would just cut them loose right then with that as the justification. Even if it didn't start immediately I would have cut them loose right away. I saw too many people within their last 2 weeks just melt down on the phones with the customer. I even saw some where the phone call had to be taken over. The first agent who turned in a 2 week notice under me gave it to the manager while I was off. The next day, first bad customer he had, he got them taken care of, walked up to me and said he couldn't do the 2 weeks.

Basically, it's a whole mindset. It's just easier to let them go then risk other things. There are of course exceptions....

TopDaugIn2000
9/29/2007, 09:40 PM
yeah, I do change a lot, but I think thats partly my generation. we all have career A.D.D. and will take more money any time we can get it. (I've nearly doubled my salary in less than 4 years by changing jobs)
1st job: 16 months
2nd job: 13 months
3rd job: 11 months
current job: 3 weeks. I really think I'm gonna stick with this one a while. It's nice to be back into a small family owned company where I am appreciated and can really make a difference.

OUDoc
9/29/2007, 09:45 PM
You're young, you got your health. What do you want with a job?

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes44/raisingAR126.jpeg

jeremy885
9/30/2007, 01:29 PM
yeah, I do change a lot, but I think thats partly my generation. we all have career A.D.D. and will take more money any time we can get it. (I've nearly doubled my salary in less than 4 years by changing jobs)
1st job: 16 months
2nd job: 13 months
3rd job: 11 months
current job: 3 weeks. I really think I'm gonna stick with this one a while. It's nice to be back into a small family owned company where I am appreciated and can really make a difference.

I'm your age and no, it's mostly just you. If you have the same complaints about your work and your coworkers at each job you've had, it may just be you and not them (my wife has the same problem).

I've almost tripled my salary since I was transferred from OKC to McKinney in 05 by sticking with the same company and working my way through the ranks. I'm now the youngest Regional Controller in my company (the oldest is twice my age) and companies tend to like people who are willing to stick through the hard times and get the job done, then the ones who will bail at the first opportunity.

just my 2 cents.

85Sooner
9/30/2007, 01:44 PM
hopefully they paid you for those 2 weeks anyway. I know that used to be our policy at most banks I worked at.

1stTimeCaller
9/30/2007, 03:16 PM
you will now have more time for the Great Anchorage Karaoke Tour '07

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 03:17 PM
Well, in TD2000's defense it has a lot to do with what industry that you work in. I can say that most of my significant raises have occurred in changing jobs, which I don't do very often. It seems that architecture/engineering firms just have the mentality that raises aren't that important. I know my former firm here thought that way, after 1.5 years I was the second most tenured person there after the partners, in fact 4 of us left in August and that was a third of the staff. My boss didn't even make a counter offer because he said he knew what my new firm was paying people since we had one leave a year ago to go there and he knew how much they were paying him. The large firm that I worked for in OKC was pretty good about it, but they are over a 1,000 employees and I was there for almost 9 years the last time and a total of over 11 years but that is the exception in our field.

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2007, 03:23 PM
hopefully they paid you for those 2 weeks anyway. I know that used to be our policy at most banks I worked at.

Yeah, they are. I think they kind of have to or they open themselves up to a suit for wrongful termination.

Okla-homey
9/30/2007, 03:47 PM
This is not an indictment, just an observation. The thing that has been the oddest about transitioning to the civilian workforce is the absence of loyalty I've observed. Now, I don't expect the kind of loyalty I saw in G.I. life, but, this notion of jumping ship for a few more bucks seems, to me at least, rather counter-productive.

I wonder if people did less of this, might employers be more willing to invest more in salaries and other forms of compensation? Put another way, does anyone ever get the idea contemporary employers might just be thinking, "meh, why should try to gild my compensation packages since people are still likely to bail on a whim, or maybe for a few bucks more?" Perhaps, its just one of those circular things; "I ain't paying more" leading to "I ain't working here no more." lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm getting pretty convinced much of the jumping around is due to the "grass is greener next door" syndrome. That, and the "they should be paying me more because they're lucky to have me" dealio.

At the very least, this employment "musical chairs" stuff must be collectively costing American business a tidy sum given they have to fill those vacancies and productivity is bound to suffer because it takes awhile for the replacement to get up to speed. Not to mention the lost productivity which ensues following a person's personal decision they are gonna jump ship at the first chance.

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2007, 03:50 PM
In other words....Mike, TD2000, and 1TC are bad Americans?

85Sooner
9/30/2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, they are. I think they kind of have to or they open themselves up to a suit for wrongful termination.

Yeah. They want you out of there so you don't have the opportunity to take a few parting gifts like a collection of pictures of former presidents;)

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 04:06 PM
Loyalty is reciprocal, it is a two way street. Employers have shown to be very willing to slash jobs to raise stock a few points, that shows only a loyalty to shareholders and not employees. Conversely, this has created a situation where employees feel no loyalty to a particular employer. Both sides have created the current environment.

I have known people who have been at places a long time and shown very little incentive to stay and let go when things got a little tight. My previous job it was all about contributing to the main partners retirement fund and not keeping good people. I was at this firm for 2.5 years and just got tired of it. Too many companies have this perspective so it leads to job changing, the days of a lifer like my dad are history.

Okla-homey
9/30/2007, 04:11 PM
In other words....Mike, TD2000, and 1TC are bad Americans?

No, I said it wasn't an indictment. Just an observation about a phenomenon which has only evolved in the country over the last twenty five years or so.

Newbomb Turk
9/30/2007, 04:12 PM
Loyalty is reciprocal, it is a two way street.

true. I'm not a job-changing type of person. I worked for my first employer for 15 years and was then laid-off. Nice reward for the loyalty, although they did give me a nice severance plus did a few nice things to help us find other jobs.

I only quit my last job to change working for a government contractor to working directly for the government (doing the exact same job). Other than Hardees as a kid, it's the only job I've ever quit.

Okla-homey
9/30/2007, 04:34 PM
see below.

Loyalty is reciprocal, it is a two way street. Absolutely true.

. My previous job it was all about contributing to the main partners retirement fund and not keeping good people. I was at this firm for 2.5 years and just got tired of it. Too many companies have this perspective so it leads to job changing, the days of a lifer like my dad are history. Especially when you compare what they bill the client for your work with what they pay you for that same hour. :eek:

Frozen Sooner
9/30/2007, 04:39 PM
This is not an indictment, just an observation. The thing that has been the oddest about transitioning to the civilian workforce is the absence of loyalty I've observed. Now, I don't expect the kind of loyalty I saw in G.I. life, but, this notion of jumping ship for a few more bucks seems, to me at least, rather counter-productive.

I wonder if people did less of this, might employers be more willing to invest more in salaries and other forms of compensation? Put another way, does anyone ever get the idea contemporary employers might just be thinking, "meh, why should try to gild my compensation packages since people are still likely to bail on a whim, or maybe for a few bucks more?" Perhaps, its just one of those circular things; "I ain't paying more" leading to "I ain't working here no more." lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm getting pretty convinced much of the jumping around is due to the "grass is greener next door" syndrome. That, and the "they should be paying me more because they're lucky to have me" dealio.

At the very least, this employment "musical chairs" stuff must be collectively costing American business a tidy sum given they have to fill those vacancies and productivity is bound to suffer because it takes awhile for the replacement to get up to speed. Not to mention the lost productivity which ensues following a person's personal decision they are gonna jump ship at the first chance.

:raises eyebrow:

I've worked for the same corporation for the last seven years. That's longer than a darn good percentage (if not the majority) stay in the military, I believe.

Besides that, the military has a pretty generous pension plan and benefits package which is unrivaled in the private sector. Of course, there's the whole "I'm getting shot at" deal with the military.

Petro-Sooner
9/30/2007, 04:55 PM
I was told by the old man not long ago, who is in his 60s, you work for yourself, not the company. Hes a hard nosed worker whom I truly respect. I got the impression from him that if you can make more elsewhere, then go. If I get the chance for my family to live better off then take that opportunity. Granted I'm not a job changing person as well. I'm blessed to have my job that rewards its employees and that I have great upward movement potential. Hopefully I'll be there a long time. JMTC.

1stTimeCaller
10/1/2007, 07:20 AM
Heck, I left a tiny, shady construction for a ginormous one. Worked for the big one for 2 years, hated being so far from friends and family.

Went to a small construction company that cheated me out of monies due to me and in the 6 months I was there we recieved zero new jobs. The handwriting was on the wall. I heard not long ago that they laid half of their employees off.

Left that outfit for a big construction company and it was OK but I left there after six months to get into another career field.

If you don't like what you are doing, who you are doing it for or want to try something else why shouldn't you seek other opportunities?

Petro-Sooner
10/1/2007, 08:19 AM
Exactly.

You work for the paycheck. Not a pat on the back.

crawfish
10/1/2007, 08:39 AM
Hey Mike,

If you're looking for something to do with your spare time...the next book in a series you recommended to me is out now. Extras by Scott Westerfeld (http://www.amazon.com/Extras-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1416951172/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7479537-4984466?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191245867&sr=8-1).

I just found out this morning. Sweet! I may have to quit my job for a few days. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/1/2007, 10:58 AM
Hey Mike,

If you're looking for something to do with your spare time...the next book in a series you recommended to me is out now. Extras by Scott Westerfeld (http://www.amazon.com/Extras-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1416951172/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-7479537-4984466?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191245867&sr=8-1).

I just found out this morning. Sweet! I may have to quit my job for a few days. :D

Ooooooo.

Heading to Borders in a couple of hours!

I've been rereading tWOT but I think I'm going to abandon that until I get some kind of word on when/if the final volume will be released.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 12:04 PM
:D

Accepted a job at a different credit union last night. Turned in my two weeks notice today and was informed that they would no longer be requiring my services.

My week-and-a-half vacation just turned into damn near a month. :D
You braggin' or complainin'?

TopDaugIn2000
10/1/2007, 03:13 PM
I had this long explanation written out as to why I've left my last 3 jobs, but then my computer locked up on me and I lost it.

So here it is in a nutshell:
1st job sold to a company in Chicago. They asked me to move there for the SAME $ and of course I said no and left.
2nd job had ZERO opportunity for growth. My boss left (doubled his salary by going to OG&E) and the owner told me I'd never get that job because I'm not a PE, I'm an arch.
3rd job was contracting for the gov. things started getting REALLY tight and there were rumors that the gov is going to yank the contract, so I left before that happened. I was the 6th of 13 to leave in just over 2 months.
So far I really like this job. It's at a very small company and I have already seen the impact and improvements I've been able to make in such a short time.

Chuck Bao
10/1/2007, 03:37 PM
I was told by the old man not long ago, who is in his 60s, you work for yourself, not the company. Hes a hard nosed worker whom I truly respect. I got the impression from him that if you can make more elsewhere, then go. If I get the chance for my family to live better off then take that opportunity.

There is a lot of wisom in that statement. This is exactly what I tell my staff.

Like Bluedogok said, it's a two-way street in terms of loyality - job security and salary - replacement costs.

Of course, I also ask my team to give me adequate time to match. I also tell them to go along with headhunters up to a point to find out salary levels, but they have to keep me informed.

With this strategy, I've kept most of my team intact for seven years, which is very, very unusual.

In my industry there is a huge salary differential between new analysts, experienced analysts and licensed analysts. The salary more than doubles at each step. Of all of the companies I've worked for, there is none where the executive management or board of directors accept these pay increments without a offer on the table from a competing firm.

That's sad, but it is also the way things are done these days.

IB4OU2
10/1/2007, 03:48 PM
I've had 3 jobs in my 30 year career and I spent atleast 5 years at each one. I've been working for this company for 15 years and have advanced as far as I want to go. This company is very loyal to their employees and I get calls from headhunters atleast once a week but I always turn them down. Loyalty both ways means alot.