PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear Stoops post game comments

85Sooner
9/29/2007, 06:01 PM
I am sure he did not rag on the team but I would be interested what he said.

StoopTroup
9/29/2007, 06:05 PM
I bet the Coach Show will be interesting.

OklahomaTuba
9/29/2007, 06:06 PM
He just came out and starting screaming at Jenni Carlson for some reason.

Then he walked out muttering to himself.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 06:07 PM
same stuff as always - outplayed and outcoached. typical stuff from Stoops.

devOUt
9/29/2007, 06:26 PM
That's it, in a nutshell.

SoonerDood
9/29/2007, 07:39 PM
and it's the absolute truth today.

RacerX
9/29/2007, 08:07 PM
Certainly

XingTheRubicon
9/29/2007, 08:38 PM
in an un-great way

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 08:47 PM
Hopefully Stoops is smart enough to realize and address the fact that the conservative play calling that got OU narrow wins at osu and TAMU last year was bound to bite him in the @$$ sooner or later. Apparently it was sooner.

usmc-sooner
9/29/2007, 08:56 PM
Damn I wonder if Dan Hawkins gets paid to get out couched and out played, what about the coaches of Boise State? or TCU? I see why they paid Carroll, what about the coaches for KSU and LSU?

I can see LSU and USC but damn this is OU right? Am I wrong to hold OU to a higher standard? Should I just be rah rah? I think with the guys we have we should expect great things. The coaching was just flat out dumb today.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 09:01 PM
Damn I wonder if Dan Hawkins gets paid to get out couched and out played, what about the coaches of Boise State? or TCU? I see why they paid Carroll, what about the coaches for KSU and LSU?

I can see LSU and USC but damn this is OU right? Am I wrong to hold OU to a higher standard? Should I just be rah rah? I think with the guys we have we should expect great things. The coaching was just flat out dumb today.
out couched?

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 09:08 PM
out couched?

He's thinking about Morgantown.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 09:08 PM
screw you stoops haters i'm not making videos for people like this...

i'm disgusted. when OU goes undefeated from here on out and wins a BCS game you guys can keep your mouths shut

FaninAma
9/29/2007, 09:13 PM
screw you stoops haters i'm not making videos for people like this...

i'm disgusted. when OU goes undefeated from here on out and wins a BCS game you guys can keep your mouths shut

Can we open our traps until that happens?

I promise that the next time OU goes undefeated and wins the BCS title I will not open my yapper for a full month...except to eat and breathe. In the meantime :kelvin:

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 09:14 PM
settle down there jeff.
just how many haters do you actually see here?
not much from my view.
just some loss bitchin
goes with the game.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/29/2007, 09:16 PM
i meant to say undefeated from here on out.

TXBOOMER
9/29/2007, 09:16 PM
Hey USMC.......Maybe it is time to lower our expectations. We had a good run. I believe a healthy Jason White and we would have beat LSU in the Sugar Bowl. If you think about it since the loss to KSU before the LSU game outside of the texass game the following year we don't have a real quality win. We have lost all the big bowl games (Boise State and suc) and several to inferior talent (tcu, colorado, texas tech, etc.). I'm hoping we can hang in there and win the Big 12 and not get embarrased by the BCS team we play.

badger
9/29/2007, 10:11 PM
I think we should make "TRUST STOOPS" shirts for everyone that questions the play calling of a coach that has won us four conference titles and a national title recently.

Sooner Schemer
9/29/2007, 10:47 PM
Hey USMC.......Maybe it is time to lower our expectations. We had a good run. I believe a healthy Jason White and we would have beat LSU in the Sugar Bowl. If you think about it since the loss to KSU before the LSU game outside of the texass game the following year we don't have a real quality win. We have lost all the big bowl games (Boise State and suc) and several to inferior talent (tcu, colorado, texas tech, etc.). I'm hoping we can hang in there and win the Big 12 and not get embarrased by the BCS team we play.
So, basically, we haven't been the same since Mike left.

I think Bob lost some of his edge when Mike moved on, and we know the secondary hasn't been the same.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 10:49 PM
Wasn't Mike on staff during the game we don't speak of?

Mjcpr
9/29/2007, 11:00 PM

No, I don't think so. Wasn't it Bo Pelini that followed him vs LSU and then Venables in TGWDSO, and ever since?

bonkuba
9/29/2007, 11:01 PM
True...........

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 11:20 PM
No, Mike informed he was leaving just before the KSU CCG loss.
the year before the gowwdns

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 11:21 PM
So we did lose a game with him on staff?

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 11:23 PM
you might say that.
the gloomers on the board at the time suggested we lost the game to KSU because his mind was elsewhere.
Which doesnt much explain why we only scored 7 points.

sanantoniosooner
9/29/2007, 11:25 PM
I though maybe we were undefeated with him on staff the way people pine away for him.

OUinFLA
9/29/2007, 11:28 PM
I though maybe we were undefeated with him on staff the way people pine away for him.

nope, I think you have that wrong.
We would be undefeated forever if he just came back on staff with us.
There IS a difference.

In fact after 36 straight years of us winning the MNC each year, we would finallly pass Bama in number of wins, and they would declaire football a "dead sport". At which time, the Stoops brothers would have no choice but to retire.

Sooner Eclipse
9/29/2007, 11:30 PM

No, in AZ by then.

Mike left between the KSU CCG debacle and the Sugar Bowl Loss to LSUcks.

the_ouskull
9/29/2007, 11:40 PM

Undefeated? No. Better? Yes. More capable and equipped to handle the "big guns" of the NCAA world? Yes. In much, much less danger of losing to the likes of TCU, Boise State, and Colorado? Absolutely. I honestly feel that we'd have won it in 2003 with him here, and perhaps, although we did get smoked, in 2004 as well. We'd have probably managed to slow Boise State down a bit more too... Call me crazy.

Whoever said that the secondary hasn't been the same since he left hit it right on the head. We're not ball-hawking the way we used to. And I HATE it when DJ Wolfe has a big game, 'cause it usually means nobody else is, and that we're losing.

the_ouskull

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2007, 11:40 PM
I am gonna go with outchoached too. Our D-backs are some of the best out there and they were out of position all day. They were confused with new sets and then the final drive was absolute beauty.

I hate colorado. They have the worst fans in football.

The only reason I haven't vomited is that the colorado fans seemed to be decent for some reason. I stilll hate them regardless.

birddog
9/29/2007, 11:41 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/092907aab.html

post game quotes.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2007, 11:46 PM

Shut up. Just shut up.

TXBOOMER
9/30/2007, 08:10 AM
Shut up. Just shut up.

Every word is the truth. You shut THE F UP!

Mike Stoops was a good D coach (obviously sucks as a head coach). Losing Torrence Marshall, Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, Jimmy Wilkerson and JT Thatcher hurt us more than losing Mike Stoops. The offense was every bit as much to blame as the defense yesterday.

SoonerClio
9/30/2007, 08:29 AM
Mike Stoops doesn't necessarily suck as a head coach just because AZ isn't doing well, just like Les Miles isn't necessarily an amazing coach because LSU is running the table right now.

MS wasn't the answer for this game. Less on-field screw ups would have been nice.

anonamoose
9/30/2007, 08:49 AM
It amazes me the so called "analysis" that I am reading on here and it seems it is from people that have never played football at a higher level. I have been coming to the site for 4 or 5 years and losses make the cry babies come out of the woodwork. Although the coaches didn't coach thier best game it certainly wasn't a terrible job.

The simple fact that our players were not prepared to win this game and out play the competition. Got nervous as the game wore on and made many mistakes. The defense played pretty good until they were just tired. The offense played lack luster and never really got on track. THe defense just couldn't carry the last quarter and a half.

Football is a sport of emotion. They beat what emotion our defense had out during the 3rd and 4th quarter. Special teams and the offense never stepped up to help only made it worse with crappy play and game losing mistakes. That is why this game turned out the way it did. Not because Mike Stoops wasn't coaching.

Remember the year we won it all we had a we will not loose attitude. Even that year we were close to losing several times and someone stepped up and made the win happen. How many drives did josh doa late drive in the game to put it out of reach? We had better players then than we do now. We will get better during this year and be really solid by bowl game.

^that there is the truth bitches^

fadada1
9/30/2007, 09:00 AM
Hey USMC.......Maybe it is time to lower our expectations.
exactly!!!

as soon as we start lowering our expectation, we become like okstate.

and that, my friends, is bad.

ric311
9/30/2007, 09:11 AM
The only reason I haven't vomited is that the colorado fans seemed to be decent for some reason.

Really?

Damn. We'll have to work on that. We have a reputation to uphold, you know.

r5TPsooner
9/30/2007, 09:12 AM

Indeed he was. He even wore an OU coaches polo.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:17 AM
what is the game we don't speak of? KSU yes he was on the staff but he was flying back and forth and had to deal with AZ. LSU he was at the game on the sideline but not on the staff.

and to be honest who gives a sh*&, we were a better defense with him.

SoonerMom2
9/30/2007, 09:21 AM
anomoose who is a new poster has it right -- stop whining -- we lost a game we should have won but by and large this is a young team and four other top 10 teams lost as well. Anyone ever hear of altitude -- we used to live in it and until you get used to it when you working outside, you tire out faster. After awhile it makes no difference. That doesn't account for lack of offense and receivers tipping passes that were intercepted or Reggie Smith not catching the punt but saying why in the 3rd and 4th quarters are defense was tiring. Watch the pros that play in Denver -- same thing toward the end of the game.

zevogolf
9/30/2007, 09:22 AM
Why do we think our db's are the best in the land??? What have they ever done to get that praise other than what is SAID in these message boards and in the newspapers??? They have not proved anything on the field!!!! UNT lit them up, Tulsa lit them up, every team we have played has had receivers running open downfield. Our linebackers suck in pass coverage!!!! and the db's have PROVED NOTHING, so quit saying we have excellent talent!!!! They are not excellent until they PROVE they are!!!!!!

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:30 AM
anomoose who is a new poster has it right -- stop whining -- we lost a game we should have won but by and large this is a young team and four other top 10 teams lost as well. Anyone ever hear of altitude -- we used to live in it and until you get used to it when you working outside, you tire out faster. After awhile it makes no difference. That doesn't account for lack of offense and receivers tipping passes that were intercepted or Reggie Smith not catching the punt but saying why in the 3rd and 4th quarters are defense was tiring. Watch the pros that play in Denver -- same thing toward the end of the game.

if you force an offense to go three and out, you don't get real tired. For an example of this see what CU's defense did to OU. I've been in higher altitudes than Boulder and there are things they do to help deal with the altitude. A lot of it comes with conditioning. It has more of an effect if your doing stuff non-stop like long distance running. If we use altitude as an excuse they could easily use humidity as an excuse when they play in Norman. I've seen a lot more guys from the West who struggle with humidity than guys who struggle with altitude.

mustangsooner
9/30/2007, 10:05 AM
I would like to see some of you ******* stoops haters try and coach any better then what the coaching staff does. Shut your mouths and take the L like a man. Quit crying around still alot of football to be played.

kevpks
9/30/2007, 10:20 AM
We've got a fever, and the remedy is more cowbell...Bevo's cowbell.

Beat Texas!

85Sooner
9/30/2007, 10:32 AM
Yet I don't see Suc and LSU lose heart and I have seen it several times since the suc game. That is what I saw again for whatever reason.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 10:57 AM
Indeed he was. He even wore an OU coaches polo.
He may have been on the sidelines, but he was long gone from OU by then; that was the Brent Venables show that day

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 01:00 PM
Yet I don't see Suc and LSU lose heart and I have seen it several times since the suc game. That is what I saw again for whatever reason.
The looks on the faces of the players told it all. They looked dumbfounded, heartless, puzzled, and without any fight in them at all when Colorado decided to take it to them and see how they handled it.

Intown
9/30/2007, 02:51 PM
He always says we got out played and out coached when we come out flat against a 3rd tier team and lose. What else is there to say?

I liked what Jimmy Joohnson said about parity. I seriously doubt this is last time we are going to have to take a hit like this. I guess it's a 2 team race now. If they stumble and we play and coach competitively, we should have a respectable season.

MextheBulldog
9/30/2007, 03:19 PM
Some of you boys are missing the point here. CU mostly RAN OVER US. Sure, there were a couple massive 4th down chances, but the secondary was not the issue. Might want to take a look at that front seven again...

bri
9/30/2007, 03:30 PM
This game was exactly what I expected from our team this year: A sputtering offense helmed by a talented but inexperienced QB, a front seven full of question marks and a secondary that was touted as one of the deepest and best in America, even though it's still bascially the same six guys that have been giving up big plays for years now. This is what we should have been expecting all along. We drank the Kool-Aid, that's fine. But there's no need for us to all start flipping the hell out just because reality is setting in. Minus a shot at a national title that was a very outside one at that, every single one of our goals is still within reach: Win the South, win the Big 12, go to a BCS bowl.

So, you know, breathe and stuff.

r5TPsooner
9/30/2007, 03:35 PM
This game was exactly what I expected from our team this year: A sputtering offense helmed by a talented but inexperienced QB, a front seven full of question marks and a secondary that was touted as one of the deepest and best in America, even though it's still bascially the same six guys that have been giving up big plays for years now. This is what we should have been expecting all along. We drank the Kool-Aid, that's fine. But there's no need for us to all start flipping the hell out just because reality is setting in. Minus a shot at a national title that was a very outside one at that, every single one of our goals is still within reach: Win the South, win the Big 12, go to a BCS bowl.

So, you know, breathe and stuff.

I agree. Any Sooner fan that thought this team was going undefeated obviously hadn't been following the team through spring practices and has been drinking the LSD-spiked Kool-Aid. We have weaknesses and one of them is playing on the road just like I figured it would be with a 1st year QB.

Personally, I thought if we lost only 2-3 games this year that we had a good season. Anything better than that was gravy in my mind. Not many teams win a National Title with a 1st year, red-shirt freshman at QB but anything is still possible... just look at yesterday.

bri
9/30/2007, 03:53 PM
You bring up a good point: This was our first real road game. I know the schedule and record book say the game at Tulsa was a road game, but it was really a neutral site game at best. As much as we fans love getting to open the season with a home game every week, Joe C is doing our team a disservice by continuing to open every year with three or four straight home games against outclassed opponents, especially when the Big 12 office LOVES to make us open on the road...

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2007, 03:54 PM
It was tough to predict that Miami would be an outclassed opponent in advance.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 03:55 PM
You bring up a good point: This was our first real road game. I know the schedule and record book say the game at Tulsa was a road game, but it was really a neutral site game at best. As much as we fans love getting to open the season with a home game every week, Joe C is doing our team a disservice by continuing to open every year with three or four straight home games against outclassed opponents, especially when the Big 12 office LOVES to make us open on the road...
Well in all fairness to Joe C we did go to Oregon last year and Bama in 03, but i understand completely what you are saying Bri

kevpks
9/30/2007, 04:18 PM
Well in all fairness to Joe C we did go to Oregon last year and Bama in 03, but i understand completely what you are saying Bri

Plus, we play Washington on the road next year and Miami on the road down the line sometime.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 05:03 PM
The road games are the ones we need to get by....

This Team was capable of winning it all...

They are capable of winning the rest of the way....

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 05:06 PM
Hmmm... I do seem to remember USC and LSU both losing games they should have won last year. Just because they have yet to face a challenge and lose doesn't make them better.

FaninAma
9/30/2007, 10:48 PM
It amazes me the so called "analysis" that I am reading on here and it seems it is from people that have never played football at a higher level. I have been coming to the site for 4 or 5 years and losses make the cry babies come out of the woodwork. Although the coaches didn't coach thier best game it certainly wasn't a terrible job.

The simple fact that our players were not prepared to win this game and out play the competition. Got nervous as the game wore on and made many mistakes. The defense played pretty good until they were just tired. The offense played lack luster and never really got on track. THe defense just couldn't carry the last quarter and a half.

Football is a sport of emotion. They beat what emotion our defense had out during the 3rd and 4th quarter. Special teams and the offense never stepped up to help only made it worse with crappy play and game losing mistakes. That is why this game turned out the way it did. Not because Mike Stoops wasn't coaching.

Remember the year we won it all we had a we will not loose attitude. Even that year we were close to losing several times and someone stepped up and made the win happen. How many drives did josh doa late drive in the game to put it out of reach? We had better players then than we do now. We will get better during this year and be really solid by bowl game.

^that there is the truth bitches^

OK beyotch, since you're calling other people out lets see your resume that would give your opinion any more credibility than anybody else's.

Otherwise your opinion means as much, or little, as anybody else's.

And the coaches most certainly called a bad game. And whose resoponsibility is itfor getting the team prepared and making sure they have the right mental attitude to play a game on the road? It sure as hell isn't the fans.

And I'll leave you with the following facts:
Kelly: 0 catches, 0 balls thrown his way.
Gresham 1 catch, 1 ball thrown his way.
2 first down pass attempts in the second half.

But yeah, you're right....the coaches didn't call a terrible game.:rolleyes:

birddog
9/30/2007, 10:56 PM
Why do we think our db's are the best in the land??? What have they ever done to get that praise other than what is SAID in these message boards and in the newspapers??? They have not proved anything on the field!!!! UNT lit them up, Tulsa lit them up, every team we have played has had receivers running open downfield. Our linebackers suck in pass coverage!!!! and the db's have PROVED NOTHING, so quit saying we have excellent talent!!!! They are not excellent until they PROVE they are!!!!!!

i have a feeling we won't be seeing you for awhile.

BornandBred
10/1/2007, 08:22 AM
I've been known to call Coach V's defense into question, but I truely don't think the blame is on him. The game was vanilla, yes, but our vanilla should still shut down CU's best. The issue was lack of focus, which lead to dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, and a general "head up the ***" way of playing the game. Last I heard, the coaches are human as well, so maybe they weren't focused either. I wish we could play UT first in B12 every year, or have a bye before that game. We always seem to be looking forward... But this is football, and we must perform regardless. I think the issue is leadership. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the total lack of player leadership on this team. I think it comes from the youth on this team. SOMEBODY needs to step up and take the lead. I have a hard time asking a RSF to do it on offense, so maybe MK should be the leader. We all love to call him the best in the country, maybe he should get in some people's faces like the best would have in that situation. He seemed to get dejected and withdrawn from the game. IMHO, I think he should have been HEATED in the huddle. Call people out and make them accountable, that is something a leader is good at. Until we get that, I think we may continue to be inconsistant. Maybe he did these things and I just didn't see it on FSN, I dunno.