PDA

View Full Version : WHERE WAS KELLY?

zeke
9/29/2007, 04:58 PM
DID HE PLAY AT ALL?

StoopTroup
9/29/2007, 05:05 PM
I saw him cheering Iglesias in the EZ when he caught that pass near the back of the EZ near the goal post I believe.

Question is...

Why didn't Bradford get the ball to him?

Why did Finley let a small DB knock a ball loose?

Why did Reggie drop a punt?

Why ....

There are plenty of questions to ask besides where was Kelly?

sooner518
9/29/2007, 05:11 PM
he was there practically every play, but we didnt throw it to him once. he looked extremely ****ed after the game walking back to the locker room

Boomer.....
9/29/2007, 05:14 PM
Maybe he was being double teamed all game.

Dan Thompson
9/29/2007, 05:17 PM
I don't think so

stoopified
9/29/2007, 05:18 PM
Hell,I don't know what to say.I was wondering if Kely played ,too.Now I wonder why he didn't get the ball.

trey
9/29/2007, 05:19 PM
why do we get ****ed after every replay that matters?

IronHorseSooner
9/29/2007, 05:20 PM
If I Kelly, I am gone after this year. In a game where he could have made a big difference, he got ZERO chances. This team has the most dominating WR in the nation and they don't get it to him!!!!

Octavian
9/29/2007, 05:30 PM
What sort of an offensive coordinator doesn't devise ways to get the ball to the best WR in America?

What kind of an OC can't adjust mid-game to get MK in the game?

It's pathetic.

There are little old ladies that would recognize that MK needs the ball. Absolutely inexcusable.

Kevin Wilson has absolutely ZERO rope left. His offenses are consistently awful in close games and if it doesn't change then he needs to pack up and get out.

Octavian
9/29/2007, 05:35 PM
I'm not just talking out of my *** here. I'm generally very reserved about the overreactionary knee-jerk type of post-loss assessments.

This is not that.

With all the talent at his disposal, Kelvin Wilson's offense better produce in Dallas or he should offer his resignation letter.

Either produce results or get the hell out.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:51 AM
Because he did not get one ball thrown his way. I don't see how no one on the staff didn't go to a clearly rattled Bradford and tell him let's start getting Malcolm involved in the game a little. (a lot, if you ask me) but on TV I couldn't really tell if they were completely shutting him down.

sooners00
9/30/2007, 10:03 AM
OU's entire offense is a one read system. Sam stares down his primary receiver and if isn't there bad things happen shortly after.

Any good team will take away OU's primary target. Combine that with a crappy secondary and there is no way OU can win a MNC.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 10:07 AM
yeah that's what happened yesterday, but I've seen Sam check down to different WR's in the last couple of games.

A lot of times a young QB gradually learns to read the entire field. To make is simpler they sometimes have them read one side, and then a quick check to the TE, if that's not open.

I just want to know if Kelly was shut down

oupride
9/30/2007, 10:14 AM
Kelly was double covered thruout the game.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 10:18 AM
Kelly was double covered thruout the game.

I know this, what I'm asking is could he not get open. There were a few times Bradford locked onto Iglesias with 2 and 3 guys on him.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 10:44 AM
You would think we could have tried a reverse maybe to get his hands on the ball? No imagination whatsoever yesterday from wilson

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 10:48 AM
I think we run that reverse or reverse pass when were are beating people by 50

AzianSooner
9/30/2007, 10:50 AM
Thing is Bradfort has learned so well from the mistake of last game. He won't throw to MK anymore if he feels unconfortable with it. He should take some chance to throw to MK sometime. Be smart and be courage.

nebraskaSOONER
9/30/2007, 10:51 AM
Did I miss somthing? Where was Malcom Kelly all day? Hurt? What?

MextheBulldog
9/30/2007, 10:53 AM
Still don't understand why you cannot try one deep jump ball to the man. Double coverage or not, he's your best WR weapon. You still have to try to make plays to get him the ball.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 10:54 AM
I think we run that reverse or reverse pass when were are beating people by 50
You forgot to add the at home part to that statement. :D

sooner518
9/30/2007, 10:55 AM
they had a corner playing up on him, and a safety back, but he definitely had some openings I thought. On Bradford's 2nd INT, Kelly was more open than JI was

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Still don't understand why you cannot try one deep jump ball to the man. Double coverage or not, he's your best WR weapon. You still have to try to make plays to get him the ball.

he's the best player on the team.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 11:32 AM
OU's entire offense is a one read system. Sam stares down his primary receiver and if isn't there bad things happen shortly after.

Any good team will take away OU's primary target. Combine that with a crappy secondary and there is no way OU can win a MNC.Easy there rookie,thats a little harsh.

OKC-SLC
9/30/2007, 12:29 PM

Any good team will take away OU's primary target. Combine that with a crappy secondary and there is no way OU can win a MNC.
I'd be pleased as punch if you'd never post on this board again.

Keep this crap up, and someone who can make that happen will make that a certainty.

OKC-SLC
9/30/2007, 12:30 PM
And I forgot to sign the negspek.

Collier11
9/30/2007, 01:15 PM
So, calvin johnson, mike williams, dwayne jarrett, larry fitzgerald, none of these guys were ever doubled up on. There are holes to get the ball to your best player you just have to find them. Sam got comfortable with JI last week IMO and tried to use him as a safety blanket since things werent going well and there just wasnt anything there. The shame isnt that MK didnt catch a pass, it is that we didnt even throw one pass towards him. We shouuld throw the ball his way atleast 5-7 times a game. We have got to get more creative and Sam has to go through his reads better and I think he will.

D-Sweet
9/30/2007, 06:56 PM
There's no way that MK was doubled all day long.

Watching it on TV makes it impossible to see if how he was covered, but if Colorado is in a 4-3 most of the game, Kelly should be an option. Plus, Iglesias had double coverage on several passes thrown to him - they can't double everyone AND load up on the run like that.

kevpks
9/30/2007, 07:18 PM
I found Malcolm. He is currently camped out in the endzone at the Cotton Bowl waiting to catch all his touchdowns this weekend.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 07:22 PM

Watching it on TV makes it impossible to see if how he was covered, but if Colorado is in a 4-3 most of the game, Kelly should be an option. Plus, Iglesias had double coverage on several passes thrown to him - they can't double everyone AND load up on the run like that.
So what do you think happened then?

mikeb
9/30/2007, 07:25 PM

You are correct.

mikeb
9/30/2007, 07:30 PM
Lets see Iggy was doubled, Gresham was doubled, and kelly was doubled in a 4-3 that was daring us to run the ball? Colorado must have an unbelievable defence. How did they ever lose a ball game?

FaninAma
9/30/2007, 10:34 PM
I know this, what I'm asking is could he not get open. There were a few times Bradford locked onto Iglesias with 2 and 3 guys on him.

It appears tha Colorado had about 6 or 7 defensive backs playing on defense. 2 on Kelly. 2 on iglesias. 1 on johnson. 1 the TE. That means they controlled out runnng game with 4 to 5 up front.

Something doesn't add up. Either our OL isn't as good as billed or OU's offensive schemes are easily read and defensed by well coached teams. I feel the latter is the case.

OU needs to use some motion or flood the zones where they are doubling up on Kelly. I am convinced a good scheme can free up Kelly. The problem is Wilson looks great against teams with inferior talent and mediocre against teams with decent talent.

Suerreal
9/30/2007, 11:43 PM
Iglesias was double covered on the one intereption play, and at least one incomplete pass thrown to him. If Sam Bradford can throw to a double covered Iglesias, why not to a double covered Malcolm who practically has spidey-web coming out of his wrists?

I don't know what was up with that, but it was no surprise that Kelly made some classy comments when interviewed afterwards. (but that's another thread)

GottaHavePride
10/1/2007, 12:21 AM
OU needs to use some motion or flood the zones where they are doubling up on Kelly. I am convinced a good scheme can free up Kelly. The problem is Wilson looks great against teams with inferior talent and mediocre against teams with decent talent.

Along those lines - how long has it been since we saw WRs in motion before the snap with any regularity? We did that kind of stuff all the time back in 2000 and 2001. I would kind of like to see a little of the "not only are we going to run over you, but we're going to confuse the hell out of you first" offense.

CatfishSooner
10/1/2007, 02:01 AM
F'N H

nBoSTP
10/1/2007, 03:33 AM
So Colorado was able to double team Kelly all day long and yet still have enough man power to stop the running of Patrick. Maybe the O line isn't deserving of all the praise it had been getting.

SoonerPriv
10/1/2007, 11:32 AM
just maybe there is something to the high altitude. although stoops would never admit it. They looked awfully tired out there by the 3rd quarter, on offense and defense. Sucking that thin air before getting acclimated to it. oh and bad coaching. :D

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 11:46 AM
All of the best receivers are double covered. They still get their catches.

I'm not sure why he didn't get any balls thrown his way, or who is to blame. But I do know that it's a tragedy. Well, okay, "tragedy" might be harsh, but it was extremely disappointing.

Theskipster
10/1/2007, 12:01 PM
It appears tha Colorado had about 6 or 7 defensive backs playing on defense. 2 on Kelly. 2 on iglesias. 1 on johnson. 1 the TE. That means they controlled out runnng game with 4 to 5 up front.

Something doesn't add up. Either our OL isn't as good as billed or OU's offensive schemes are easily read and defensed by well coached teams. I feel the latter is the case.

When you know the opposing team is going to run on first and second down, you can just load up the box on those downs. Then since you know they are going to pass on third, you can drop guys back and double cover their best receiver leaving Mr. Rubber Band Hands to try and make a catch.

Really pretty simple if you know what the opposing team is going to do.

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 12:10 PM
Is "Mr Rubber Band Hands" the guy with the best receiving stats on the team? The one who kept trying to catch balls thrown over his head? The one who caught the TD? That guy?

picasso
10/1/2007, 12:14 PM

not true. he looked off his first progression more than once, even against Colorado.

if anything air it out deep to #4 every now and then. I do not like repeated running plays on first down. even with a 2 score lead.:mad:

FaninAma
10/1/2007, 12:25 PM
Is "Mr Rubber Band Hands" the guy with the best receiving stats on the team? The one who kept trying to catch balls thrown over his head? The one who caught the TD? That guy?

Iggy has definitely looked good this year but he looked like the '06 Iggy in Boulder last Saturday.

trpltongue
10/1/2007, 12:29 PM
Wilson and Stoops both stated that we had a number of plays designed for Kelly, but Bradford optioned to the run because the defense was playing deep, or simply threw to Iglesias because Kelly was covered. There are a lot of quotes from the coaches etc. here:

http://ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=476

sooneron
10/1/2007, 12:31 PM
Along those lines - how long has it been since we saw WRs in motion before the snap with any regularity? We did that kind of stuff all the time back in 2000 and 2001. I would kind of like to see a little of the "not only are we going to run over you, but we're going to confuse the hell out of you first" offense.
I believe it was 02 when we rolled out the motion TE offense against the whorns.

Theskipster
10/1/2007, 12:35 PM

You mean 5 drops and 2 catches against CU? Those are only fantastic stats for a linebacker.

And I wasn't counting the tipped balls that were intercepted.

toast
10/1/2007, 12:44 PM
Wilson and Stoops both stated that we had a number of plays designed for Kelly, but Bradford optioned to the run because the defense was playing deep, or simply threw to Iglesias because Kelly was covered. There are a lot of quotes from the coaches etc. here:

http://ouinsider.com/news/story.php?article=476

htat hurt to reed, jamse hael kneeds a ghost writer.

Desert Sapper
10/1/2007, 12:49 PM
When you know the opposing team is going to run on first and second down, you can just load up the box on those downs. Then since you know they are going to pass on third, you can drop guys back and double cover their best receiver leaving Mr. Rubber Band Hands to try and make a catch.

Really pretty simple if you know what the opposing team is going to do.

I agree. Colorado knew what plays we were going to run, because my 2 year old daughter knew what plays we were going to run...just like the computer offense on PS2. Load the box on 1st and 2nd, drop back to a nickel/dime on 3rd and long.

I think Iggy had a few outside his range that somebody about three inches taller would be able to catch, rather than tip it to a waiting DB. He doesn't have rubber hands, but he doesn't have spider man sticky, catcher's glove big, extra super-duper pillow soft hands like somebody else I know, either.

Theskipster
10/1/2007, 01:17 PM
He doesn't have rubber hands

He normally doesn't have bad hands and he is usually a great receiver. But whatever curse hit our team Saturday, hit his hands more than anything else.

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 01:28 PM
He normally doesn't have bad hands and he is usually a great receiver.

Thank you.

Maybe you could leave the insults out next time, then?

And whatever curse hit our team could have been remedied by any number of players. Better protection/run blocking by our O line, better throws by Bradford, better punt receiving by Smith, better receiving by our TEs, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure there is a single player/position that can claim to have had an outstanding game.

Master___Pain
10/1/2007, 02:07 PM
Kelly was being guarded by All Big 12 corner Tyrone Wheatley....might have had something to with the lack of balls thrown his way. The other CU CB is much younger, and was matched up with Iglesias for most of the game.

Petro-Sooner
10/1/2007, 02:19 PM
Nate Hybl was a sub-par quarterback at best.

SoonerPriv
10/1/2007, 02:43 PM
htat hurt to reed, jamse hael kneeds a ghost writer.

no doubt.. this paragraph had me baffled for a few seconds.

They knew they run would into a defense that maybe wasn’t the most athletic they would have played up to that point, but that was playing the best when they faced the Sooners.

edit: check that the whole thing is a mess.. dude needs to proof read at least once.

zeke
10/1/2007, 02:50 PM
Nate Hybl was a sub-par quarterback at best.

Sub par?

He wasn't J. White but he was somewhat better than sub-par. IMHO

Petro-Sooner
10/1/2007, 02:55 PM
Its a joke.

Kinda.......

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 03:29 PM
Don't make me go get my negger.

Collier11
10/1/2007, 03:38 PM
Don't make me go get my negger.

IN 2007, there is no room for statements like this... RACIST!!!

:D :D :D :D

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 03:44 PM
Fortunately for you, my specker isn't as big as some of the others around here. Actually, I have a relatively small specker. Dammit.

Collier11
10/1/2007, 04:22 PM
my specker is average but it doesnt get much use

tulsaoilerfan
10/1/2007, 06:12 PM
my specker is average but it doesnt get much use
Must be a married man :D

trpltongue
10/3/2007, 07:25 AM
Just wondering who the anonymous neg specker was? I could care less about my speck meter, just want to know why someone would neg me for posting a link to an interview?

OUmillenium
10/3/2007, 08:40 AM

Story of the last 5 years

trpltongue
10/4/2007, 07:21 AM
And anonymous neg specker strikes again! He must be a really cool guy, what with his witty banter such as:

"here's a bit of insider info for you"
and
"whoops, did it again!!"

All without reason or signature. Way to go Mr. Cool, swing that 50 point spek hammer like you care.

FaninAma
10/4/2007, 08:52 AM
I'd be pleased as punch if you'd never post on this board again.

Keep this crap up, and someone who can make that happen will make that a certainty.

Lighten up, Frances.

I don't think anybody can deny that when OU loses unexpectedly, like they did Sat., the breakdowns seem to be traced back to some of the same things year after year.

Personally, I chalk up the loss to the fact that we were playing a freshman QB and he was bound to have one bad game added to the fact that the coaches, even by their own admission, over-analyzed the game and failed to make adjustments.

Even then it took 3 second half turnovers and a controversial replay call to let Colorado escape with the win.

FaninAma
10/4/2007, 09:09 AM
Kelly was being guarded by All Big 12 corner Tyrone Wheatley....might have had something to with the lack of balls thrown his way. The other CU CB is much younger, and was matched up with Iglesias for most of the game.

So was Wheatley designated to cover Kelly? Would he have followed Kelly if he had gone in motion? Even if he had followed Kelly I still like the matchups that OU could have exploited from making CU change up their defensive backfield coverage.

Hawkins knew that OU wouldn't d this so he gambled all game long with his defense and Chuck, er, Kevin never made him pay for it. It was about as pathetic of an performance by an OU offensive coordinator since the first 3 quarters of the Sugar Bowl against LSU.