PDA

View Full Version : Achiro or other Chiropractic Type People - A ?

SCOUT
9/28/2007, 11:22 PM
I did a free “Wellness Screening” from a Chiropractor here last week. He took some X-Rays and did some other evaluations. He had me return to his office today to show me the results. I have a 46% loss of arc and 6 degrees of pressure on my C1.

He did give me a fair explanation of what that means and how he could treat it. My problem is that his entire practice seemed eerily similar to one of those time-share presentations.

After he gave the diagnosis he had his assistant come in and offer me a plan for the next year. It included a discount and even a 10% reduction for paying for the whole year up front.

So I have two questions for those who may know. First, would a diagnosis like I listed really require 44 sessions in a 12 month period? Second, is the time-share approach common or did I just run across someone who feeds a negative stereotype.

Soonerus
9/28/2007, 11:26 PM
advice: do not go to a Chiro...

olevetonahill
9/28/2007, 11:57 PM
Yea what Rus said rhey are almost as phoney as he is . ywia

GottaHavePride
9/29/2007, 12:28 AM
That really depends on the chiropractor. My family doctor that I've been going to for years also happens to be a certified chiropractor, and he's dang good at it. (or so I hear - my dad and PG are tho only ones that need that.) Of course, I've never seen him suggest an ongoing series of chiropractic treatments for anything. He usually just re-aligns everything and says "stop lifting things with your back".

I'm sure there are some shyster chiropractors out there, too, though. Just like there's good lawyers and there's ambulance-chasers.

olevetonahill
9/29/2007, 12:36 AM
That really depends on the chiropractor. My family doctor that I've been going to for years also happens to be a certified chiropractor, and he's dang good at it. (or so I hear - my dad and PG are tho only ones that need that.) Of course, I've never seen him suggest an ongoing series of chiropractic treatments for anything. He usually just re-aligns everything and says "stop lifting things with your back".

I'm sure there are some shyster chiropractors out there, too, though. Just like there's good lawyers and there's soonerrus.
:D you didnt .
I went to a chiro fer a year or so and felt great . But he kept poppin my neck that I had nevar had a prob with . Then I needed to go weekly fer my NEW neck probs . When his wife started in on me about warshin My feet fer me to make my eyebrows feel better , I said WTF :eek:
And quit goin

GottaHavePride
9/29/2007, 12:43 AM
Heh.

achiro
9/29/2007, 09:04 AM
It really depends on what all is wrong with you and your goals. I am typing from my phone so won't get into the specifics. pm your # and I will try to call you if you'd like.

olevetonahill
9/29/2007, 09:07 AM
It really depends on what all is wrong with you and your goals. I am typing from my phone so won't get into the specifics. pm your # and I will try to call you if you'd like.
I wish you were close to Me Id Come see ya .
Gots to trust a soonerfan

Old Pride Member
9/29/2007, 11:29 PM
My chiro has been awesome through two rotator cuff repairs (same shoulder) and diagnosed the tears before I went to an orthopedic surgeon.

So I agree with achrio !!

:)

SCOUT
9/30/2007, 01:30 AM

PM sent. I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Okla-homey
9/30/2007, 05:26 AM
You know, I used to think it was total quackery. After reviewing an awful lot of cases involving people who were injured and sought chiro, I'll say this: chiro. can be very useful as palliative care for serious and/or permanent orthopaedic injuries.

That said, my data are less conclusive on its benefit to people who haven't suffered any traumatic injury. However, most people who go seem to report the adjustments/therapies feel good. That's worth paying for I reckon.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 12:20 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with D.C.s.Been very good for neck and back pain and my headaches.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 12:38 PM
If you go to a Doctor or a Chiro and feel that you might be getting fleeced....

You probably are....

achiro
10/1/2007, 11:11 AM
PM sent. I appreciate any assistance you can give me.
achiro...dial...busy signal
SCOUT..."so like my mom is so like you know lame and stuff"
SCOUT..."oh my Gawd, she has such a big ***, like she really needs another candy bar"
SCOUT..."you know, like, hehe, it gets all big and stuff when the wind blows"
SCOUT..."so do you think we could like go watch a movie or something"
achiro..."sigh":D I tried man, I tried.

Long story short Scout, a decreased cervical curve like that CAN lead eventually to djd/osteoarthritis(disc narrowing, bone spurs, etc) if it stays like that. Some chiros can help correct the alignment to reduce the chances of that occuring. It takes time though and is much different than just going in for a symptom issue. There are huge benefits if its what you choose to do but even with insurance, don't plan on them covering much of it because they consider it preventative or wellness care. Because of the number of visits, many chiros will offer a care plan that allows them to add a percent discount to the overall plan.(kind of like dentists do with braces) It will save you money over just paying for each individual visit, although I am sure the chiro would be ok with you doing that as well. The laws are very specific as to how the care plans are to be done. Basically if you discontinue care early and have overpaid, the doc has to pay you back the difference. If you discontinue early and have underpaid, you will owe the balance.

SCOUT
10/1/2007, 08:35 PM
SCOUT..."so like my mom is so like you know lame and stuff"
SCOUT..."oh my Gawd, she has such a big ***, like she really needs another candy bar"
SCOUT..."you know, like, hehe, it gets all big and stuff when the wind blows"
SCOUT..."so do you think we could like go watch a movie or something"
achiro..."sigh":D I tried man, I tried.

Long story short Scout, a decreased cervical curve like that CAN lead eventually to djd/osteoarthritis(disc narrowing, bone spurs, etc) if it stays like that. Some chiros can help correct the alignment to reduce the chances of that occuring. It takes time though and is much different than just going in for a symptom issue. There are huge benefits if its what you choose to do but even with insurance, don't plan on them covering much of it because they consider it preventative or wellness care. Because of the number of visits, many chiros will offer a care plan that allows them to add a percent discount to the overall plan.(kind of like dentists do with braces) It will save you money over just paying for each individual visit, although I am sure the chiro would be ok with you doing that as well. The laws are very specific as to how the care plans are to be done. Basically if you discontinue care early and have overpaid, the doc has to pay you back the difference. If you discontinue early and have underpaid, you will owe the balance.

Thanks, I appreciate the attempt. I am not sure why you would get a busy signal but, oh well. Your conversation sounds much more interesting than any actual conversations I have.

I am giong to meet with another chiropractor next week so I will get more of the details from them.