PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love it! Seems we hear this every year.

sooner n houston
9/28/2007, 10:55 AM
Sooners rich in Texas talent
Why don't the Sooners just move from Norman, Okla., to Laredo, Texas, or something? C'mon. Every year the Sooners come to Texas and scoop up athletes from our high schools. It's like they don't even recruit Oklahoma. Adrian Peterson is from Texas. Current OU tight end Joe John Finley is from Texas. Star receiver Malcolm Kelly is from Texas. Texas is, no question, a pipeline for football. We just lose all our athletes to powers like OU, Florida, USC, etc. Why don't people see this?

— John in Waco

Malcolm Kelly is just one star Sooner from the state of Texas.
I think everyone does see that, John. That's why Oklahoma, Florida, USC, etc. recruit Texas.

But hey … the University of Texas has done all right, too. Remember that national championship two years ago?

Besides, it's not like the Longhorns haven't ventured out of state, either. Ricky Williams was from San Diego. Chris Simms was from New Jersey. Eric Metcalf was from Virginia. In fact, two starters from the '05 national championship team's offensive line – Kasey Studdard and Lyle Sendlein - were from out of state, though both had fathers who played at Texas.

Texas doesn't recruit out-of-state as much as Oklahoma, but it doesn't have to. Texas has a larger population and more football players.

No doubt, Texas, A&M, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech, among others, would love a rule requiring high school athletes to attend college only in their home states. But this is America, so they have freedom of choice - even if that choice is to play for the Sooners.

:D

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=719774

OUmillenium
9/28/2007, 11:18 AM
And here is my sameol reply...

If it is all about Texas players, then where are all the conference championships, national championships, and Heisman trophies for Houston, North Texas, Rice, SMU, and Baylor since they annually have a higher percentage of Texas players on their teams than OU?

Texas sux, and this year they know it

bakerjrb
9/28/2007, 11:49 AM
While OU may have a number of players from Texas, it is worth pointing out that of the 4 statues honoring Heisman trophy winners who wore Crimson and Cream, 3 of them came to Norman from other towns in Oklahoma.

So, we may get some players out of Texas, but arguably, most of our best ones are home grown.....

Boomer!

jrb

fwsooner22
9/28/2007, 11:56 AM
It is a river that separates us.......Not the great wall of China

Aries
9/28/2007, 11:59 AM
We can't help it if some of the most talented athletes in Texas are also *smart* enough to come to Oklahoma.

OUDoc
9/28/2007, 12:05 PM
What is the ratio of "Texas schools" MNC to the rest of the US?
How about "Texas" Heisman winners vs. the rest of the US?

TMcGee86
9/28/2007, 12:13 PM
Oklahoma has a population of 3 million people.

Texas has about 23 million.

This argument is as dumb as saying that UT is weak because they recruit from area's other than the Austin and San Antonio area. As both those cities and the surrounding areas are about equivilent to the population of Oklahoma.

Zing
9/28/2007, 12:24 PM
It is a river that separates us.......Not the great wall of China

Gah, I ALWAYS get those two confused. ;)

OK2LA
9/28/2007, 12:30 PM
The same is said about California - It's a huge friggin state. USC gets the cream of the crop, but it is just natural - with scholarship limitations - that they can't sign ALL of the talent. PC just has an ability to get MOST of the good ones, and COACH the rest of them . . . COACHING has quite a bit to do with it as well.

We make the best of the talent we recruit, and tejas fan is pizzed that they can't prevent us from recruiting in that state . . . which is the most rediculious argument I've ever heard.

OUMillenium had a good point - does tejas get mad at the other texas schools that recruit a player away from them . . . or is it ok - because that school is in TEXAS.

This is the arrogance of texan. Sit down, shut up. We're all Americans. They take "State Pride" to a new level . . . When we show pride in our football team, or our state, then have the audacity to say that we have nothing up here to be proud of other than our football team, and we're all hillbillies - livin in trailers in a dust bowl.

It's actually quite amusing to watch texan get on his high horse and point his long boney finger at us okies.

texan: All hat - no cattle.

freshchris05
9/28/2007, 12:43 PM
so we shouldn't recruit from texas because they can't even fill a roster because we took all their players??

or they can't fill out a roster because county took all their players??

DoubleDown
9/28/2007, 12:46 PM
Everytime I hear this, I always remind them of who their stadium is named after.

If the day ever comes that we name our stadium after a :texan: , then they'll have room to talk.

goodonya
9/28/2007, 01:05 PM
Mine too.

"One must remember always that hornfans are the original victims. Their teams simply never "lose". There are always multiple excuses (many laughable), never accountability. When faced with facts or logic they will simply punt. Most of their fan base cherish their head-to-head & series records well above conference championships primarily because of the dearth of the latter. They bemoan the Texas kids going to OK but not other schools. (They squirm relentlessly when you mention Ricky Williams, et al as non-Texans) They won't even acknowledge that without that OU "kid" and former coach that they would be tied with the Aggies in national championships.

Living amongst them is a daily challenge but I'll tell you one thing, you'll become very astute in the art of excuse making as well as learned helplessness. 'Oh it's a victim's (hypocrite's)society, so they say......' They're Texas by gove!!!"

Schoonerbeer
9/28/2007, 01:31 PM
Talk about recruiting out of state, remember coach Royal? Didn't he play at OU? Why couldn't you stay in state and get a good coach from Texas? Because getting the best coach, just like OU wants the best players, is the smart thing to do! OU can't help it if the good players want to play at the best university.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Dan Thompson
9/28/2007, 02:04 PM
USC only has two players from Texas, both from Dallas

46 LB Michael Morgan
87 WR Caleb Nelan

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/usc-m-footbl-mtt.html

MamaMia
9/28/2007, 02:49 PM
Those highschool football players from any state, including Texas, are but mere balls of clay during the college recruiting phase. Granted, they are usually high quality balls of clay; but balls of clay no less. The molding process which turns them into total football playing studs begins when they step foot onto Owen Field. :)

MextheBulldog
9/28/2007, 03:09 PM
This is absolutely the DUMBEST argument that saxet "fans" make.

Year in and year out saxet ranks in the top 5 of recruiting. It's not like they are not getting the cream of the crop in the state - i believe 95% of their starters come from texas.

What idiots like John from Waco do not get is that every year there are 22-25 scholarship slots available on a college roster. That's it. So take your 25 best from the state of Texas, move on and shut your stupid argument up.

John needs to talk to his coach in Austin named Brown as to why players like AD, Joe Jon, Kelly choose to go to OU.

YOU SIMPLY CANNOT HAVE EVERY SINGLE STUD HS ATHLETE FROM TEXAS go to ut.

SouthFortySooner
9/28/2007, 04:05 PM
This is absolutely the DUMBEST argument that saxet "fans" make.

Uhhh? I had an ex longhorn player tell me once, " that Jamaal Charles will make people forget about Adrian Peterson". But I get your point.:D

freshchris05
9/28/2007, 04:26 PM
23 million in texas?? and how many scholly's do they have???

IB4OU2
9/28/2007, 04:42 PM
Those highschool football players from any state, including Texas, are but mere balls of clay during the college recruiting phase. Granted, they are usually high quality balls of clay; but balls of clay no less. The molding process which turns them into total football playing studs begins when they step foot onto Owen Field. :)

I can't believe you said "studs" momma...

goodonya
9/28/2007, 05:40 PM
Uhhh? I had an ex longhorn player tell me once, " that Jamaal Charles will make people forget about Adrian Peterson". But I get your point.:D

You're right because I distinctly rember AD as a pretty good running back. I certainly don't think about AD when I see JC. So I guess he was right.

Leroy Lizard
9/28/2007, 07:34 PM
What amazes me is that Tech and Aggie fans don't complain about this issue as much as Horn fans, yet they are the ones that are more deficient in talent.

bluedogok
9/28/2007, 10:15 PM
This is the arrogance of texan. Sit down, shut up. We're all Americans. They take "State Pride" to a new level . . .
When I hear this crap from them it always reminds of the Bud light commercial.
Bud Light - Real Men of Genius - Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy (http://thefuntimesguide.com/audio/Bud_Light_Real_Men_of_Genius_Mr_Way_Too_Proud_of_T exas_Guy.mp3)

AzianSooner
9/28/2007, 10:17 PM
The problem is Not about OU scouting Texan. The problem is why Texan loves to play at OU.

AlbqSooner
9/28/2007, 10:33 PM
I can't believe you said "studs" momma...
She said "Balls" in the same post. :D

SCOUT
9/28/2007, 10:54 PM
The problem is Not about OU scouting Texan. The problem is why Texan loves to play at OU.
This is how I always look at that stupid argument. There is something that is drawing those Texas players to OU. Could it be the tradition of winning, coaching, or even NFL hopes?

I also laugh to myself and think of two of my favorite (recent) players. Those two are Derrick Strait and Quentin Griffin. They were not even recruited by Texas because they weren't good enough. Perhaps Mack felt differently when Q was scoring his SIX touchdowns in the Cotton Bowl!

Instead of worrying about how many players that go north of the Red River, perhaps they should do some actual scouting being what is written on rivals.com

Ike
9/28/2007, 11:38 PM
this kind of argument only makes sense if you consider the pinnacle of college football to be the recruiting national championship.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2007, 03:09 AM
no disrespect to anyone here, but...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

Screw Texas...Our school is in a great state with solid tradition and decent people. Who cares if we take all the good guys in Texas.

ruf/nekdad
9/29/2007, 08:40 AM
" I may not have been born a sooner, but I got here as fast as I could"

stoopified
9/29/2007, 09:27 AM
Lets lokk at the numbers for a minute.There are 300 football playing schools in Oklahoma(half of them play 8-man),and there are 4,000 football playing schools in Texas.It is a wonder not that we recruit Texas but that we have HALF OUr team from Oklahoma.Given the sheer inequity of numbers,75% of OUr players should be from Texas.It is atestament to the quality of Oklahoma HS football that we have as many native sons as we do.

Purple Tiger
9/29/2007, 09:38 AM
Lets lokk at the numbers for a minute.There are 300 football playing schools in Oklahoma(half of them play 8-man),and there are 4,000 football playing schools in Texas.It is a wonder not that we recruit Texas but that we have HALF OUr team from Oklahoma.Given the sheer inequity of numbers,75% of OUr players should be from Texas.It is atestament to the quality of Oklahoma HS football that we have as many native sons as we do.

You have so few native sons on your starting lineup.

bluedogok
9/29/2007, 02:12 PM
..all I have to say about this anymore is....

http://enigma.dune.net/~eric/Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG