PDA

View Full Version : What CU fans are saying about the game

King Crimson
9/28/2007, 09:13 AM
if you are interested, this what CU fans are saying (i kinda scrapped coherence on the numbering system, sue me):

1. OU always has trouble in Boulder--in 03 they had us "on the ropes". they forget CU only had one possession to tie the game in the 4th and went 3 and out. clutch.

2. the "punch em in the mouth" theory: OU hasn't had to go toe to toe for 4 quarters and CU will be really physical (just like in 99, when they blitzed Heupel). OK, despite the stupidity of making a comparison over the span of 8 years, Heupel was on a 7-5 team. and it's kind of moronic to listen to them about how they are gonna really come after Bradford (based on this one example from 8 years ago).

3. CU's D is the second coming of the Steel Curtain. i don't get this one, really. they are pretty salty but have given up 30+ twice. FSU is TERRIBLE on O, Weatherford made some of the worst throws i've ever seen on 3rd down of the FSU-CU game and for some reason Bowden refused to exploit a huge size mismatch b/ween FSU WR's and CU's DB's. but, to CU fan, it was all CU's D pressure. but, they did pitch a shutout against a Miami (OH) team without it's two leading rushers. Steel Curtain, bay-bee.

3a. Bradford has never been pressured. partially true, but they don't seem to ask the question "why" this has been. Utah State and NT were dogs, but in Buffmind, Miami is "not your father's Canes" while CU played a gutty game against perennial powerhouse FSU. the failure to see the selective homer coloring in this argument is a bit disturbing.

4. Bradford is inexperienced and can make mistakes. Hawkins is a smart player who knows how to make decisions and has great leadership. another masterpiece of homer-logic.

5. CU has a re-invigorated run-game. again, Miami (OH) is the template for this claim. if OU stops CU's run game, as FSU did without much trouble, this game gets ugly.

prediction: i give some credence to the Buffs playing hard and at home and i do think they are improving, with the RRS next week, i think we may struggle some....OU may not cover but barring a rash of turnovers (03) i'd guess this is a 17-20 point W. 36-17 Sooners with a big helping of "moral victory" homer-gasms for the local Buffs.

CatfishSooner
9/28/2007, 09:16 AM
HA!
OU 62 cu 13

soonercop
9/28/2007, 09:23 AM
You should try NetBuffs.com. Those fans are saying how they'll be glad just to get a good effort out of their team, but most of their score predictions are OU big. Maybe reality is starting to settle in.

SoonerLB
9/28/2007, 09:25 AM
They just don't seem to understand that we have been saving up to unleash against conference opponents, and they are the first victim. ;)
OU in a blowout! And then comes some saxet butt kickin'! :)

devOUt
9/28/2007, 09:45 AM
Always had trouble in Boulder? That may be true if your definition of always only goes back to 1988. I think we lost to them only twice in Boulder from the early sixties to 1986. Wilkinson owned Colorado before that.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2007, 09:53 AM
I remember in 1980 or so an 82 - 40 or somesuch score...Barry and the team was running up and down the field with abandon.

GottaHavePride
9/28/2007, 10:45 AM
I remember in 1980 or so an 82 - 40 or somesuch score...Barry and the team was running up and down the field with abandon.

I've seen the box score for that game. I think it was 800+ yards rushing, and we were 0-0 passing. Never threw the ball.

Dan Thompson
9/28/2007, 10:56 AM
I wonder how many trick plays CU will try on us?

Ash
9/28/2007, 11:05 AM
CU has a decent defense, at least that side of the ball is ahead of the offense.

And while we all know the good and bad about stats, I thought this was interesting:

CU is 18th in total D. Giving up an average of 108.5 on the ground and 179.75 through the air. Teams average 19.25 pts against. Somewhat respectable numbers.

But they've done this against teams with offenses that arent' even in the top 50 of the country. FSU is 89th in total O, 86th in scoring O.

The two teams they've faced with top 60 offenses, CSU and Arizona State, have pasted 20+ pts on this defense. And CSU barely cracks the top 60 coming in at 58 in total O.

Our offense is the best they will have faced this year and should be able to shred them for at least 30 points, and our D is easily going to be the toughest they've faced this year. I look for a situation similar to the Tulsa game where they get some yards, but as long as our D keeps the scoring down and barring turnovers, etc. I think OU can win by at least two touchdowns.

NS5
9/28/2007, 11:20 AM
Can blame them for being a big fan. In this case they need to stand
in front of it and cool off.

mdklatt
9/28/2007, 11:47 AM
I didn't know CU had actual fans so much as people who view football games as an opportunity to be drunken jackasses.

King Crimson
9/28/2007, 12:02 PM
I didn't know CU had actual fans so much as people who view football games as an opportunity to be drunken jackasses.

CU has some good fans. about 10,000 of them, usually they are older fans. the rest (McCartney-ites) are pretty hard to deal with and place way too much value on a 4-5 year era as some eternal birthright. the students are a pretty obnoxious lot. many of whom will leave at halftime.

i have a lot of good friends who are Buff fans and grads and sometimes the evil just claims them.

CU and Missouri and Tech seem to have many fans for whom "Fandom" seems to provide no real pleasure....it's just mostly spleen and anger and venom (even in victory). everyone has morons, but this seems to be the zeitgeist for those schools. possibly less Mizzou than the others. CU message boards they just fight with each other all the time.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/28/2007, 02:13 PM
Buffs 0
Robots 59