PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 coming up small; Rest of league dragging down OU

sooner n houston
9/28/2007, 07:09 AM
From KIRK BOHLS in the Austin American-Statesman!!!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

College football has evened out.

With the reduction of scholarships, the fact that nearly all of the 119 Division I-A football teams are on television somewhere at some time and the desire of recruits who want immediate playing time, there's certainly a noticeable trend in the Big 12.

It's parody.

Our conference is doing a great imitation of the worst conference in college football.

Oh, there's parity, too. Except for Oklahoma, which unbalances an otherwise level playing field, the Big 12 has shown itself as one of the most mediocre of the six Bowl Championship Series conferences. But please don't tell this to Mike Gundy. He's got this anger thing going. We're just wishing he would have turned it on Troy.

But as we said, there is parity. On any given day, our Big 12 teams can lose to anybody in the nation.

Like Troy. Like Toledo, Northern Iowa and Kent State. Like an unranked Miami. Almost like Ball State. Hey, if the classy fans in Lincoln are booing their Cornhuskers off the field, you know it's a bad year.

Consider that Big 12 teams are a pitiful 1-4 against ranked teams, with lone win being Texas' victory over a TCU team that is now unranked and 2-2.

The belittled North Division has held its own against the big boys, going 4-4 versus other BCS conference teams. Granted, even the victories are a bit suspect, coming as they did against Iowa, Wake Forest, Illinois and Ole Miss.

But the mighty South is only 1-2, in part because those teams don't play anybody really good. The Sooners spanked the Hurricanes, but Oklahoma State fell to Georgia and Texas A&M was pathetic against that same Miami team.

We apologize, OU, for not holding up our end. Yes, Texas remains in the top 10 and is unbeaten, but we're waiting to be impressed.

According to the Sagarin ratings, the Pac 10 is the top-ranked league, followed by the Southeastern Conference, Big East, Big 12, Atlantic Coast and Big Ten in that order, although the Mountain West is pushing the Big Ten. I'd still take the SEC, which has a 21-3 non-conference record and boasted national rankings for nine teams in at least one poll this season.

Thankfully, dreary non-conference play is almost finished. With league action gearing up, here's our pre-league awards:

At this point, the MVP award goes to Sam Bradford, OU's precocious redshirt freshman quarterback who's completing 78 percent of his passes, has thrown 14 touchdown passes with only two interceptions and still shot a 63 at Lake Hefner's muni course. He gets a big assist from an offensive line that's allowed two sacks in four games.

Our runner-up is Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree, who leads the nation in receptions with 13 per game and yardage with almost 194 each week. Of course, he did drop the go-ahead touchdown pass that would have beaten Okie State last week. Mad flinger Graham Harrell is another prime candidate.

The defensive MVP is a tie between OU linebacker Curtis Lofton and Colorado linebacker Jordan Dizon. The latter leads all of college football with 13.8 tackles per game. Lofton has 42 tackles, two more than he had in the last two seasons, and edges out teammates Nic Harris and Reggie Smith for this honor.

Coach of the Year?

Take a bow, Bob Stoops. After falling to Boise State and starting a new quarterback, his Sooners have regained their swagger and are on pace for a fifth Big 12 championship in nine seasons.

Un-coach of the Year?

Another tie, this one between offensive-challenged rookie head coach Gene Chizik, whose Iowa State Fighting Chiziks have lost to I-AA Northern Iowa and a previously 0-3 Toledo team, and Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione, who forgot he had a running back bigger than the national deficit and has shown precious little progress in five seasons.

Chizik will survive, but if Fran keeps up his level of mediocrity, you can expect look for A&M athletic director Bill Byrne to look hard at Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, Auburn's Tommy Tuberville — both are former Aggie assistants — and Boise State's Chris Petersen. Or rather, you can hope he does.

Rookie of the Year?

Since we'll omit Bradford and Crabtree, let's take another redshirt freshman and pick OU's DeMarco Murray, the next Darren McFadden.

Best Quote of the Year?

Anything from Mike Leach.

Worst Quote of the Year?

A late entry from Baylor's Guy Morriss at a school where a basketball player was murdered by a teammate: "I'd like to see us put the knife in somebody and give it a good twist." Any more quotes like these and losses like those responsible for his 18-32 record, and you can expect the Bears to start eyeing former Baylor great Mike Singletary as a replacement.

Runner-up is Texas linebacker Scott Derry's equally ill-timed, self-inflicted quote: "We just need to stay grounded and stick to our guns."

CitySooner
9/28/2007, 09:08 AM
Good article that makes a lot of sense. Nebraska and Texas A&M are mainly to blame. Huskers' biggest problem is the love fest between the AD and the coach, and then their BlackSkirt defense is putrid. A&M is still waiting for Coach Fran to be the miracle worker they thought he was. Maybe Mangino really has something going on in Lawrence and Mizzou will stay solid to help keep the mighty Crimson high in the BCS. We shall see.

King Crimson
9/28/2007, 09:10 AM
Bohls is sand-bagging for the RRS.

cheezyq
9/28/2007, 09:33 AM
I know I'm getting off the subject, but why are NU fans called "classy"? Yes they may be some of the more polite, friendly, respectful, and generally good fans in the country. But can you really call fans who put giant corn hats on and come to the game overweight and in overalls w/ no shirt with a body painted red and a face painted black "classy"? There's more to being classy than the way you look, but not looking ridiculous is also a big part of being classy.

Rant over.

royalfan5
9/28/2007, 09:34 AM
I know I'm getting off the subject, but why are NU fans called "classy"? Yes they may be some of the more polite, friendly, respectful, and generally good fans in the country. But can you really call fans who put giant corn hats on and come to the game overweight and in overalls w/ no shirt with a body painted red and a face painted black "classy"? There's more to being classy than the way you look, but not looking ridiculous is also a big part of being classy.

Rant over.
OMG, kids in the student section look ridiculous at a football game, OMG.

tator
9/28/2007, 09:38 AM
OMG, kids in the student section look ridiculous at a football game, OMG.

I've seen many Nebraska adults dressed like that. And in the snow at last year's B12 Champ, too.

royalfan5
9/28/2007, 09:40 AM
I've seen many Nebraska adults dressed like that. And in the snow at last year's B12 Champ, too.
And no Sooner fans do that at all I suppose?

Desert Sapper
9/28/2007, 09:43 AM

Rant over.

Probably because the reputation was built through the '70s, '80s, and '90s, when NU had a great football team and a gracious fanbase. The turds are rising to the top, and I blame it mostly on the head coach. He has created enemies in the Sooner fan base (a fan base that used to be equally gracious to NU), he has alienated his own fan base, and he has sunk the program by overusing JUCOs and making poor decisions (both before, during, and after the game). Overall, I think it will take a serious command decision from the powers that be in Huskerland to bring in new blood before the trend can be reversed.

MamaMia
9/28/2007, 09:46 AM
Nebraska fans stopped being classy when they started losing. Its easy to be all classy acting when your team is winning.

tator
9/28/2007, 09:53 AM
And no Sooner fans do that at all I suppose?

Wear overalls with no shirts? I've never seen a Sooner fan do that, no.

royalfan5
9/28/2007, 09:55 AM
Wear overalls with no shirts? I've never seen a Sooner fan do that, no.
What is wrong with overalls and no shirts anyway? I'm guessing that there are probably quite a few Sooner fans that go shirtless to games early in the season as well. I bet most of them are guys under 30, who may have drank before the game. I bet that is something that every fan base has.

tator
9/28/2007, 09:59 AM
What is wrong with overalls and no shirts anyway? I'm guessing that there are probably quite a few Sooner fans that go shirtless to games early in the season as well. I bet most of them are guys under 30, who may have drank before the game. I bet that is something that every fan base has.

Nothing, you're right. Nebraska fans are very classy. :rolleyes:

I will have to admit that Nebraska fans are much better than the Purple Powerettes. Those are the worst fans I've had the honor of sharing a game with.

stoopified
9/28/2007, 09:59 AM
Probably because the reputation was built through the '70s, '80s, and '90s, when NU had a great football team and a gracious fanbase. The turds are rising to the top, and I blame it mostly on the head coach. He has created enemies in the Sooner fan base (a fan base that used to be equally gracious to NU), he has alienated his own fan base, and he has sunk the program by overusing JUCOs and making poor decisions (both before, during, and after the game). Overall, I think it will take a serious command decision from the powers that be in Huskerland to bring in new blood before the trend can be reversed.I agree EXCEPT I hope Callahan and THE CHILDREN OF THE CORN continue to suck for many years to come.I'm still a little bitter over St. Tom running up scores on the worst OU teams in history.Once we notch 69 and 73 on them the Cornies can rebuild.

birddog
9/28/2007, 10:01 AM
the overalls with no shirt is just fitting the theme for their mascot. it may look goofy, but i don't have a problem with it. although that painted guy at the usc game just may have actually been lil red.

OUmillenium
9/28/2007, 10:03 AM
I've been reading Bohls since around 2000. The Austin Amer Statesman also has(actually had) a great message board, too.

Bohls is very objective and really holds Mack and the Longhorns to the fire.

royalfan5
9/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Nothing, you're right. Nebraska fans are very classy. :rolleyes:

I will have to admit that Nebraska fans are much better than the Purple Powerettes. Those are the worst fans I've had the honor of sharing a game with.
Is there a dress code for football games? Does everyone have to wear a collared shirt? Do you have to apply for admission like a country club? Seriously, what is your problem with overalls with no shirt? Are you ashamed of the human body, are you a never nude or something?

tator
9/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Is there a dress code for football games? Does everyone have to wear a collared shirt? Do you have to apply for admission like a country club? Seriously, what is your problem with overalls with no shirt? Are you ashamed of the human body, are you a never nude or something?

You caught me...

IGotNoTiming
9/28/2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah I have been living among the horns now for 13 years. It is the only bad thing about Austin... I read Bohls quite often... I will have to say he does call out the horns quite alot but... he never really crosses the line... We have to remember he may be a reporter.... but we are also dealing with big time college politics. If he ever hurt Macs feelings too much he would get ***t canned in the blink of an eye. He does a good job of balancing out his homerism for UT while giving the readers enough material to stir debate...

Just imagine how many people will read Jenny Carlson for the first time after the Gundy incident.... He did her such a favor by acting the way he did....

boomersooner28
9/28/2007, 11:48 AM
I hate the fact that EVERYBODY is over-looking Texas for us! We are gonna get Texas' BEST GAME.

milesl
9/28/2007, 12:15 PM
this was discussed in the KC Star today. If USC LSU/Florida and Sooners go undefeated we will be watching those 2 play for the championship. I just think that USC and one of the LSU/Florida will not go undefeated.

Doged
9/28/2007, 12:37 PM
Of course we'll get saxet's best effort. They'll get OUr's, too.

It's a good bet that one of LSU or Florida won't finish unbeaten... they play each other. I'll be rooting for Florida in that one. Ideally for us the Trojans would lose one in Pac10 play.

Not that any of it really matters if OUr guys don't finish what they've started so well.

bluedogok
9/28/2007, 10:33 PM
Bohls was pretty hard on Mack before KY came along......

Leroy Lizard
9/29/2007, 02:12 AM

Not everyone. For example, the Oklahoma Sooners don't have any fans that show up shirtless in overalls.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2007, 02:45 AM
I've been wearing the same shirt and jeans all season...

Haven't made a game in person, but I'd still wear the same thing.

No overalls here...that's for the real hillbillies in the SEC

jwlynn64
9/29/2007, 08:04 AM

And they probably eat meat too! :eek:

When discussing fan bases, classy refers to how the opposing teams fans are treated and not what car they drive or how they dress.

If seeing "fan"atics dress up and show a spirit for their team is what you call classless, I would challenge you find any big time program that breaks that mold.

We have the superman Elvi (plural?) in our student section and I'm sure that there are others that done the face paint and dress less than classy. Don't even get me started on overweight. You must have never been to the Soonerfans tailgate ;)

Just saying that it isn't a fan bases dress but it's actions that make it classy or not.