PDA

View Full Version : Is Jacob Lester for real or the LSU offense for that matter?

soonersn2007
9/27/2007, 02:44 PM
Hey people, some of my opinionating here. But I sure as hell ain't impressed with LSU's offense. Sure they got a nice OL, but the talent behind it, i have to question. Hester and Flynnn haven't convinced me that they can be consistently successful against even a average defense. Oklahoma has that and maybe even more by the end of the year.

Yes, yes, defense wins championships. A great defense can make a offense look good, take for example when Chicago was winning last year in the NFL. But of the games I have watched of LSU, I don't feel threatened by them, we could take these mofos.

I am not saying this a the greatest Oklahoma team ever, but based on what I've seen of LSU, we could take these mofos.

"We can take these mofos"

CobraKai
9/27/2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe. I can see your point re: their offense. I still don't want to play them in New Orleans though.

MextheBulldog
9/27/2007, 04:12 PM
Defense won it for them in the 03 sugar. With maybe less on O than they have now. Agreed, the offense isn't pretty, but it does not have to be.

batonrougesooner
9/27/2007, 04:22 PM
As much as it hurts me, I think LSU is for real. I for one would welcome a meeting in NOLA with them this year.

sooneron
9/27/2007, 04:37 PM
"We can take these mofos"
That does have a nice ring to it. Maybe we can get some bracelets made ...:D

The Maestro
9/27/2007, 05:53 PM
Is that running back WHITE?!?! Sorry to profile, but as a white boy, I am less than impressed with white boys at running back for national title contending teams.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/27/2007, 06:24 PM
Is that running back WHITE?!?! Sorry to profile, but as a white boy, I am less than impressed with white boys at running back for national title contending teams.He's like Tebow of FL, a big, good athlete that's not quite as fast as he needs to be to avoid the inevitable injury.

CatfishSooner
9/27/2007, 08:03 PM
Is that running back WHITE?!?! Sorry to profile, but as a white boy, I am less than impressed with white boys at running back for national title contending teams.

Racist! [hairGel]

Geekboy
9/27/2007, 08:10 PM
Steve Owens was a pretty decent running back.

douxpaysan
9/27/2007, 08:20 PM
Steve Owens was a pretty decent running back.
Steve Owens is approaching 60 years old and he might be a lil slow hitting the hole. :P In these days and times I think I would rather be starting AD or AP.

Geekboy
9/27/2007, 08:51 PM
Steve Owens is approaching 60 years old and he might be a lil slow hitting the hole. :P In these days and times I think I would rather be starting AD or AP.
Uh....hey noobie.....if Steve Owens was 21 years old present time and playing for OU today.....he'd be awesome. He'd be a white Bo Jackson.
If you think otherwise.....you're an idiot.

Rogue
9/27/2007, 09:04 PM
I keep seeing parallels between LSU this decade and Miami in the '80s. Former oSu coach that has given us fits for years...playing in their backyard...broke our hearts...

As far as Steve O, great athlete and comparing eras is always hard. I don't think SO would see the field at RB for us this year as a 20 y.o... AD would not have been a great option back either though.

Geekboy
9/27/2007, 09:18 PM
I keep seeing parallels between LSU this decade and Miami in the '80s. Former oSu coach that has given us fits for years...playing in their backyard...broke our hearts...

As far as Steve O, great athlete and comparing eras is always hard. I don't think SO would see the field at RB for us this year as a 20 y.o... AD would not have been a great option back either though.
Rogue, would you at least agree if Owens was playing today at a young age he would at least be as good as Jacob Hester? If so.....enough said.

Hester isn't going to win any Heisman trophies. But he is a damn good all purpose back. He's not going to carry the team on his back but he will definitely be an important contributor to the team.

OSUAggie
9/27/2007, 09:24 PM
Jacob Hester isn't going to be the feature back down the stretch. Les will use him as a changeup when Keiland Williams and Charles Scott get goin' a little bit.

Having said that, Hester's still a pretty damn good runner - regardless of race. He'll catch quite a few balls out of the fullback or H-back spot when they start getting in tighter contests.

PLaw
9/27/2007, 09:27 PM

Here goes a Gundy-like rant - I've been saving this up since McNabb opened his trap.

Poor Donovan. It's tough being a black QB because they are held to higher standard. Well, how about all of the white RB's, WR's, and DB's. It starts in middle school, then high school, and finally college and the pros. Black kids get the first and longest look because they are black. I've experienced it with my own kids in Pee Wee football and school ball. Ultimately, black kids nudge ahead of whites at these skill positions thanks to more playing time and coaching. Yeah, Donovan - try being a white skilled position player at some place other than QB and you can KMA.

That said, for most black kids, they see athletics as their ticket to a better life. They are busting their butts every day to improve while white kids give their fingers a work out on the PS2. I think this work ethic is ultimately why there is a disportionate number of black kids that ultimately reach their goals. For proof, look no further than AD.

Thank god for football, because in the end, skin tone doesn't matter. The best athlete plays.

BOOMER
PLaw:pop:

Geekboy
9/27/2007, 09:31 PM
Jacob Hester isn't going to be the feature back down the stretch. Les will use him as a changeup when Keiland Williams and Charles Scott get goin' a little bit.

Having said that, Hester's still a pretty damn good runner - regardless of race. He'll catch quite a few balls out of the fullback or H-back spot when they start getting in tighter contests.
You are dead on about Keiland Williams. He is a freak waiting to happen.
If he was playing at Arkansas and McFadden wasn't around he would be their all purpose back. Williams is an animal but even Williams said Richard Murphy makes moves he can only dream of. That's how deep LSU is at running backs.

Sorry for getting so carried away. I'm sure we'll lose to Florida or Kentucky now because of my big mouth!!!

OSUAggie
9/27/2007, 09:55 PM
You are dead on about Keiland Williams. He is a freak waiting to happen.
If he was playing at Arkansas and McFadden wasn't around he would be their all purpose back. Williams is an animal but even Williams said Richard Murphy makes moves he can only dream of. That's how deep LSU is at running backs.

Sorry for getting so carried away. I'm sure we'll lose to Florida or Kentucky now because of my big mouth!!!

The UF game will obviously be interesting, but I don't think UK can stop the Tigers enough for it to matter. Hopefully everyone's healthy when the Gators come to town.

I'm having trouble figuring out how anyone could say LSU's offense is sub-par.

And I expect to see quite a bit of #11 taking snaps in some critical spots for the rest of the year.

CtheB
9/27/2007, 10:14 PM
At some point this season, some team, for some unknown reason, will start tagging their defense for some points. They will also shift field position on them and force their O to put long drives together to get points. Fact is, they really haven't faced a decent offense yet this year, and still may not during the SEC slate (currently only 2 ranked in top 50) except for Florida and Kentucky.

At some point, in every season, your defense, no matter how good it may be, will give way and you have to score points to hang in there. (Think OU 2002: A&M & OSU). Personally, I think that will happen against UK, and we'll know what their offense is all about.

Purple Tiger
9/27/2007, 11:22 PM
At some point this season, some team, for some unknown reason, will start tagging their defense for some points. They will also shift field position on them and force their O to put long drives together to get points. Fact is, they really haven't faced a decent offense yet this year, and still may not during the SEC slate (currently only 2 ranked in top 50) except for Florida and Kentucky.

At some point, in every season, your defense, no matter how good it may be, will give way and you have to score points to hang in there. (Think OU 2002: A&M & OSU). Personally, I think that will happen against UK, and we'll know what their offense is all about.
Playing against good defenses hurts offensive stats. Where was Fla's offense ranked when they played Ohio State last year?

Octavian
9/27/2007, 11:25 PM

me 2

Purple Tiger
9/27/2007, 11:27 PM
The UF game will obviously be interesting, but I don't think UK can stop the Tigers enough for it to matter. Hopefully everyone's healthy when the Gators come to town.

And I expect to see quite a bit of #11 taking snaps in some critical spots for the rest of the year.
LSU did not offer Chris Brown as due to scholarship limitations as they rated K.Williams,Charles Scott,And Richard Murphy higher than Brown. Brown's coach,Butch Stoker,of Alexandria Senior High can confirm this statement.

Ash
9/27/2007, 11:30 PM
LSU did not offer Chris Brown as due to scholarship limitations as they rated K.Williams,Charles Scott,And Richard Murphy higher than Brown. Brown's coach,Butch Stoker,of Alexandria Senior High can confirm this statement.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.

Ash
9/27/2007, 11:31 PM
LSU has the #9 rushing offense in Div1. That's pretty good, isn't it?

They drop off in passing, though coming at #76 so far.

We'll see how things shake out, conference play is going to make things interesting.

Purple Tiger
9/27/2007, 11:37 PM
I think you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.
Ask his coachor better yet,ask Chris.

Ash
9/27/2007, 11:43 PM
Ask his coachor better yet,ask Chris.

Here, I spell it out for you. What part of:

...has anything to do with the recruitment of Chris Brown?

Octavian
9/27/2007, 11:46 PM
Who cares how Brown -- or anybody else -- was rated coming out high school?

Now, in 2007, Chris fits perfectly into our RB rotation and that's all that matters to OU. It's not like he's our feature back.

As for LSU...they're damn good. They should be favored by at least a TD over Florida in Baton Rouge.

douxpaysan
9/27/2007, 11:52 PM
Uh....hey noobie.....if Steve Owens was 21 years old present time and playing for OU today.....he'd be awesome. He'd be a white Bo Jackson.
Hey pencil neck...I don't think he would even make the team....sorry times have changed old man.

CtheB
9/28/2007, 06:12 AM
Playing against good defenses hurts offensive stats. Where was Fla's offense ranked when they played Ohio State last year?

Missed my point. Someone is going to score points on LSU's defense, and then we're going to find out if your offense has enough spark to score with them. Until that day, and I don't know which one it is, if ever, your offense won't have any pressure to score many points because I believe your defense IS that good.

Desert Sapper
9/28/2007, 07:12 AM
I'm going to describe someone. Tell me who it is.

At 6'2, 216 pounds, possessing track-star speed, he burst through the line like a freight train, and looked for people in the defensive backfield to run over, around, and through. When the team was decimated by graduation, he put the team on his shoulders and inspired them all to play harder. He carried the ball nearly every time his team ran the ball (35+ carries per game) and still managed to gain nearly 4.5 ypc. He was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball. He holds five Sooner records. He ran for 100+ yards in 17 straight games. He is the school's all-time leading scorer with 56 touchdowns during his career. He holds the record for the most carries in a game (55) and career (905). He finished his career with 3,867 yards on the ground, the second most in school history.

If you say AD, you're wrong.

Steve Owens was awesome.

sooneron
9/28/2007, 08:47 AM

At 6'2, 216 pounds, possessing track-star speed, he burst through the line like a freight train, and looked for people in the defensive backfield to run over, around, and through. When the team was decimated by graduation, he put the team on his shoulders and inspired them all to play harder. He carried the ball nearly every time his team ran the ball (35+ carries per game) and still managed to gain nearly 4.5 ypc. He was a homerun threat every time he touched the ball. He holds five Sooner records. He ran for 100+ yards in 17 straight games. He is the school's all-time leading scorer with 56 touchdowns during his career. He holds the record for the most carries in a game (55) and career (905). He finished his career with 3,867 yards on the ground, the second most in school history.

If you say AD, you're wrong.

Steve Owens was awesome.
Yep, people get clouded by today's game and think that the old dudes wouldn't be able to hang. Who is to say that Steve wouldn't be even better conditioned ala today's RBs?

sooneron
9/28/2007, 08:52 AM
Here, I spell it out for you. What part of:

...has anything to do with the recruitment of Chris Brown?
Dude, this fag only cares about who lester recruits, not facts that are being discussed. When the conversation goes to something he can't refute, he pulls out the "we didn't even recruit insert ou player's name here".

Ignore the little troll. He's not worth it. I'm sure his mother would tell you the same thing.

I am impressed with lsu's D, but they haven't exactly played any juggernauts. Most of the teams have average offenses, some that could be described as one dimensional. The same could be said for us, sans Tulsa, but they are one dimensional, too.

Position Limit
9/28/2007, 09:16 AM

sorry to inform you geekboy, but you're the idiot. if steve owens was 21 present time playing for ou, if he could crack the line up, he'd make a really good blocker for demarco murray. our 2nd string running back. that's about it. he was really good in the 60's when black studs did'nt get to see the field.

as for lsu, i'd love to meet them in new orleans. that defense is no joke. they seem to be the only team out there that would test our offense. we need a big time match up for our bowl game to see just how good this team really is. our big 12 confrence isnt going to test this team. i want lsu. in new orleans. without chuck long.

Desert Sapper
9/28/2007, 09:32 AM
in the 60's when black studs did'nt get to see the field.

Except at OU, who played some pretty awesome black players in the '60s and '70s, unlike teams in the SWC or SEC.

Of course, OJ was a black stud at USC, won the Heisman in '68, and thought Steve Owens was the best running back in the country that year. After he won the Heisman, he called Steve and guaranteed him he would win the award in '69.

Position Limit
9/28/2007, 09:51 AM
Except at OU, who played some pretty awesome black players in the '60s and '70s, unlike teams in the SWC or SEC.

Of course, OJ was a black stud at USC, won the Heisman in '68, and thought Steve Owens was the best running back in the country that year. After he won the Heisman, he called Steve and guaranteed him he would win the award in '69.

first off, oj has killed people before. so dont put too much stock in his compliments.

second, few teams had a few black athletes in the 60's, but nothing en masse. steve owens was great at the time he played, but dont compare him to today's and yesterday's athletes based on what oj simpson has told you.

Desert Sapper
9/28/2007, 10:13 AM
OJ Simpson was one of the best running backs in the history of the game. His extracurricular activities may diminish his reputation, but not his accomplishments. I'm no fan of suc, and I certainly don't put OJ on a pedestal, but the fact is that he was recognized as the best player in college football in 1968...and he thought Steve Owens deserved the Heisman more. That's a pretty powerful statement.

I compare, because given an equal environment (ie; modern equipment and training/conditioning techniques), great players from years past would be equally competitive today. Casual dismissal of greatness does not do justice to the accomplishments of great athletes. Steve Owens was the first Detroit Lion to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season (and only the 28th player in NFL history to do so). We have a pretty long list (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-all-americans.html)of great players. Some were black, some were white. The only thing that matters is that they ALL wore Crimson and Cream.

douxpaysan
9/28/2007, 11:55 AM

Steve Owens was awesome.
No question...he was. But comparing him to present day backs is being unfair to him. I think at one time in his freshman year he was considered at defensive end. Thank God they changed their minds. But having said all that his athletic skills not his heart would keep him out of todays lineup. Geekboy is delusional about Lester and the LSU offense...I suppose we all have our blind spots.

Seamus
9/28/2007, 01:15 PM
second, few teams had a few black athletes in the 60's, but nothing en masse. steve owens was great at the time he played, but dont compare him to today's and yesterday's athletes based on what oj simpson has told you.

That's part right, part nonsense. By 1969 many teams in the South still were segregated (eg, Saxet). But many teams in the North, and I'll lump OU in there, had more than just a few token blacks. We had several on our roster by then, and teams like Michigan State and Syracuse were thoroughly integrated by then.

Sorry, but a man who almost literally put the team on his shoulders -- i.e. carried the ball 55 times in one game -- would not only have a place on our roster today, he'd find a way to be on the field. Sometimes it's more about heart than 40-time, and Steve Owens had heart.

This bull**** argument that a white running back couldn't make a major college roster is specious, at best. Especially when put in context with this thread: White running back (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88721) who can do this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygKqRMd94U) Or this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2gplt2dyc)

The Maestro
9/28/2007, 01:26 PM
Steve Owens had track star speed...in Miami, Oklahoma, in the mid-60's.

He'd be a fullback...and wasn't he listed as one, anyway?

I agree that we will learn about LSU's offense when they HAVE to score, versus managing the game because the defense is dominating. It will happen at some point this year...then we will know about the offense.

I just don't see the weapons on the LSU offense. Their production, up to this point, has been a product of weak opponents on offense leading to their defense dominating. It will be interesting to see the FU offense against the LSU defense.

MextheBulldog
9/28/2007, 03:51 PM
Interesting thread here - combining LSU's offensive capability with a slant on white running backs and Steve Owens...

So on both points...
No way in hell Steve Owens (all due respect to his greatness) starts for OU today much less gets on the field. To suggest otherwise is good ole' days' syndrome. Size and speed of players today is light years ahead of 40-50 years ago.

OSU Aggie suggested this:

Sub-par may be a bit harsh, but their O is definately not spectacular. When you lose Russell/Bowe/Craig Davis you're gonna have a drop off. They struggled to run against Miss State and at times vs SouthCar. One of their SouthCar TD's came on a fake FG. Flynn is a decent QB, say in the mold of Hybl. He's a bus driver, nothing more or less. WR Corps - who is a game changer other than Doucet? Holliday does make that engine run, but he's not an every down back.

I bet you're also trying to figure out how someone could call that offense you guys are running in stoolwater the 'world's greatest'. Makes sense why you might be confused..

MextheBulldog
9/28/2007, 03:56 PM
Besides, LSU and FU are gonna split. We should be more concerned with suc.