PDA

View Full Version : before there was OleVet........

critical_phil
9/26/2007, 09:07 PM
there was my great-uncle charles.

like so many of the young men of his day, he skipped out on a day of high school to lie about his age to the Corps. they gladly looked the other way.

he served in the pacific during WWII. i was lucky enough to get to see suribachi up close and personal one time. i'm sure his time there was not so enjoyable.

he went on to serve in korea and nam, and would've re-enlisted forever if they would've let him. charles was awarded the purple heart twice. he might have made Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps had he not had a penchant for trouble. he was a regular in front of the old man and told me he was promoted to corporal four separate times.

charles loved life, especially if life is described as a bottle of jack and a can of sam's choice cola. he also loved to fire up a Pall Mall in between glasses of libation.

it finally killed him at 83.

RIP marine.

sanantoniosooner
9/26/2007, 09:10 PM
RIP

Sorry for your loss.

Mongo
9/26/2007, 09:15 PM
sorry to hear that c_p

OCUDad
9/26/2007, 09:22 PM
Condolences, c_p. RIP, Uncle Charles.

OUDoc
9/26/2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry, c_p.
My grandfather was a Marine in WWII and Korea. Smoke and drink got him in 1994. I miss him.

Mixer!
9/26/2007, 09:27 PM
condolences, c_p.

OOO-RAH!

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 09:28 PM
My Kind a MAN , This natty and Cig . and the next sticky Bud I fire up will Be in Salute to him

jk the sooner fan
9/26/2007, 09:28 PM
condolences c_p

RIP and thanks for your service Marine

captain_surly
9/26/2007, 09:30 PM
Your Grandmother or Grandfather's brother was a hero. Almost everyone who served in WWII was. I'm glad he lived such a full life, I envy the fact he got to enjoy JD and Pall Malls up to the end. I bet he's in heaven laughing at some of us about that about that right now.

Howzit
9/27/2007, 07:30 AM
Here's to Uncle Charles.

You've earned a rest.

sooner_born_1960
9/27/2007, 07:38 AM
Sounds like a great man. Wish I knew him. RIP.

Soonerus
9/27/2007, 07:41 AM
Sorry man....

olevetonahill
9/27/2007, 07:44 AM
there was my great-uncle charles.

like so many of the young men of his day, he skipped out on a day of high school to lie about his age to the Corps. they gladly looked the other way.

he served in the pacific during WWII. i was lucky enough to get to see suribachi up close and personal one time. i'm sure his time there was not so enjoyable.

he went on to serve in korea and nam, and would've re-enlisted forever if they would've let him. charles was awarded the purple heart twice. he might have made Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps had he not had a penchant for trouble. he was a regular in front of the old man and told me he was promoted to corporal four separate times.

charles loved life, especially if life is described as a bottle of jack and a can of sam's choice cola. he also loved to fire up a Pall Mall in between glasses of libation.

it finally killed him at 83.

RIP marine.

C-P I had to check and make sure I speked ya for this thread ( I did ) :cool:
Man I love the Positive spin he put on his "Promotions" :D :D :D :D

Mjcpr
9/27/2007, 08:11 AM
Condolences, c_p.

Newbomb Turk
9/27/2007, 08:14 AM
sorry to hear it c_p.

crawfish
9/27/2007, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a great guy. You have my condolences.

IB4OU2
9/27/2007, 08:42 AM
God Bless him and keep him as he helped preserve our freedom and way of life.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/27/2007, 11:38 AM
God Bless him and keep him as he helped preserve our freedom and way of life.

Truth.

Nice to know a hardnosed Uncle Charles, USMC is now guarding the streets of heaven's scenes.

VeeJay
9/27/2007, 11:43 AM
I am sorry to see that generation leaving us.

Couple of years ago I went to a Memorial Day service for the vets in Hollywood, FL. Very touching. Mostly WW2 guys there, some in pretty good shape, some in wheelchairs, but all wearing (proudly) their uniforms or caps with the name of the ship they were on. I went to as many as I could with my then 5 y.o. daughter and told them how much we appreciate their service and sacrifice, and God Bless. I have never seen a group of men be as appreciative as those men were for just a few kind words.

RIP Uncle Charles. The next Jack is on me.

http://flag.com/images/US%20Flag5420.jpg

HskrGrl
9/27/2007, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry for your loss c_p. Your uncle sounds like he was a wonderful guy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/offge/bighug.gif

KABOOKIE
9/27/2007, 12:14 PM
RIP and Semper Fi

If the Army and the Navy Ever gaze on Heaven's scenes,

They will find the streets are guarded By United States Marines.