PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska and Callahan

SoonerAcesUp
9/26/2007, 05:18 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277740

The Big Red looks awfully little
E-MAIL Print Comment 43

Posted: September 26, 2007

Surely, this isn't what the good people of Nebraska expected. The return to the mountaintop of college football has hit a turning point, and its name is Ball State. Ball State?!

Four years of changing the culture. Four years of coach Bill Callahan reshaping a once-elite program into something even the most basic of Big Red fans wouldn't recognize, and we have this: a win at home over Ball State -- in the closing seconds -- is a cause for celebration.

"To come out and pull out this win is big," Callahan says.

And to that I say: The experiment is over. Someone better grab hold of that Band-Aid and rip it off. Forget about the initial sting; the infection is spreading.

The day Nebraska finds hope in avoiding a loss to Ball State is the day everyone needs to take a long look at where this program is headed and realize it's just not working out. The day this proud program accepts mediocrity is the day change becomes inevitable.

We've been inundated with upsets this season, with little guys taking down big guys. Games that make you scratch your noggin and wonder how in the world something like that can happen. I can tell you why it happens: poor coaching.

With all due respect to Ball State, there's no way the Cardinals should have been driving in the last minute with a chance to beat Nebraska. Before Callahan's change of culture, Nebraska wins this game by 40 points -- instead of giving up 40. Before the change of culture, a win like this sounds alarms and raises red flags.

Now we have this from Callahan: "It's a step forward because it's a win."

It's not a step forward. It's an ugly, unnerving, unforgivable trend. Assess the past three-plus seasons or the past three weeks; it's all the same.

Three weeks ago, Nebraska needed a last-minute interception in the end zone to beat a Wake Forest team with a backup quarterback making his first start. A week later, the Huskers were introduced to reality when USC rolled into Lincoln and decleated anything remotely red. If that wasn't enough of an indicator, this is: Ball State wideout Dante Love dropped a sure touchdown pass in the final minute that would have won the game. Two plays later, the Cardinals missed a long field goal attempt that also would have won it.

Callahan is 0-7 against teams ranked higher than 20th, 22-16 against Division I opponents and 13-12 against the Big 12. In a time when 10 or more non-BCS teams could win the watered-down Big 12 North , the Huskers are no different from the other five bland, uninspiring teams in the division.

Four years ago, Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson fired coach Frank Solich because he said the program was gravitating toward mediocrity. I've got some news for everyone: It's here.

For some reason, Callahan gets a pass because he is "changing the culture" of a program. He was hired to win games. He wasn't hired to take four or more years -- he recently received a contract extension through 2011 -- to implement a system that may or may not work.

And he certainly wasn't hired to take a once-proud program and turn it into one that should have lost to a middling MAC school.

First we heard Callahan didn't have the right quarterback for the job, that it would take a couple of seasons before the change of culture could take shape. Now coordinator Kevin Cosgrove is falling on the sword because his defense can't stop anyone.

When Pederson announced Callahan's contract extension earlier this month, he spoke glowingly of the coach many Nebraskans had -- and still have -- reservations about. "In terms of what he's done for the program," Pederson said, "He has certainly met or exceeded my expectations at this juncture."

And that's the problem.

Instead of striving for perfection, Nebraska has settled for mediocrity.

Could Nebraska win the big games anymore with their old style of football and will they ever be able to win big games with the new style of football. Can they recruit players to come to Nebraska to fit the West Coast offense? Is it just bad coaching or do they not have the players to win the big games?

Desert Sapper
9/26/2007, 05:25 PM
Nebbish lost more than they thought to graduation last season. Callahan has not only alienated people. He has done what he did at Oakland: engender mediocrity. Maybe NU needs to beg Bo Pellini to come in and take the job they should have given him 4 years ago.

birddog
9/26/2007, 05:25 PM
that whole thing is a mess. i hope they appreciate the spankings they handed us in the mid-late 90's.

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 05:39 PM
He has done what he did at Oakland: engender mediocrity.

Maybe they should hire him back. Mediocrity would be a major improvement. :D

ruf/nekdad
9/26/2007, 05:59 PM
God, I feel sorry for the fans at Nebraska, we know the feeling. But I can't stand Callenburger/slash and he is getting what he deserves.

In response to his termination with four years left on his contract:
"I felt we made significant progress on many fronts, both on and off the field."

- Howard Schnellenburger

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 06:19 PM
Without intentionally disrespecting those fine NU posters who frequent our board................ I hope they keep Callyberger for a lonnnnnnng time.

OU Adonis
9/26/2007, 07:23 PM
Neb would be much better off running power football again.

Dan Thompson
9/26/2007, 07:39 PM
Les is going to Michigan.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 07:43 PM

Um, OK. That has what to do with Nebraska?

starrca23
9/26/2007, 07:51 PM
They talk about him being a west coast guru, but i don't know that they have every really run a west coast offense.

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 08:05 PM
Um, OK. That has what to do with Nebraska?

Since when was relevence important on this forum?

:D

Do you have a swimming pool?

birddog
9/26/2007, 08:17 PM

and lloyd carr is....going to nebraska?:confused:

batonrougesooner
9/26/2007, 08:25 PM
Are we sure John Blake isn't still coaching up there?

Sooner1979
9/26/2007, 08:30 PM
Firing Solich was the worst mistake they made...He only had a couple of years of Head coaching experience, he would have been ruling the Big 12 North by this time...Cally is awful.....

tulsaoilerfan
9/26/2007, 08:45 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277740

The Big Red looks awfully little
E-MAIL Print Comment 43

Posted: September 26, 2007

Surely, this isn't what the good people of Nebraska expected. The return to the mountaintop of college football has hit a turning point, and its name is Ball State. Ball State?!

Four years of changing the culture. Four years of coach Bill Callahan reshaping a once-elite program into something even the most basic of Big Red fans wouldn't recognize, and we have this: a win at home over Ball State -- in the closing seconds -- is a cause for celebration.

"To come out and pull out this win is big," Callahan says.

And to that I say: The experiment is over. Someone better grab hold of that Band-Aid and rip it off. Forget about the initial sting; the infection is spreading.

The day Nebraska finds hope in avoiding a loss to Ball State is the day everyone needs to take a long look at where this program is headed and realize it's just not working out. The day this proud program accepts mediocrity is the day change becomes inevitable.

We've been inundated with upsets this season, with little guys taking down big guys. Games that make you scratch your noggin and wonder how in the world something like that can happen. I can tell you why it happens: poor coaching.

With all due respect to Ball State, there's no way the Cardinals should have been driving in the last minute with a chance to beat Nebraska. Before Callahan's change of culture, Nebraska wins this game by 40 points -- instead of giving up 40. Before the change of culture, a win like this sounds alarms and raises red flags.

Now we have this from Callahan: "It's a step forward because it's a win."

It's not a step forward. It's an ugly, unnerving, unforgivable trend. Assess the past three-plus seasons or the past three weeks; it's all the same.

Three weeks ago, Nebraska needed a last-minute interception in the end zone to beat a Wake Forest team with a backup quarterback making his first start. A week later, the Huskers were introduced to reality when USC rolled into Lincoln and decleated anything remotely red. If that wasn't enough of an indicator, this is: Ball State wideout Dante Love dropped a sure touchdown pass in the final minute that would have won the game. Two plays later, the Cardinals missed a long field goal attempt that also would have won it.

Callahan is 0-7 against teams ranked higher than 20th, 22-16 against Division I opponents and 13-12 against the Big 12. In a time when 10 or more non-BCS teams could win the watered-down Big 12 North , the Huskers are no different from the other five bland, uninspiring teams in the division.

Four years ago, Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson fired coach Frank Solich because he said the program was gravitating toward mediocrity. I've got some news for everyone: It's here.

For some reason, Callahan gets a pass because he is "changing the culture" of a program. He was hired to win games. He wasn't hired to take four or more years -- he recently received a contract extension through 2011 -- to implement a system that may or may not work.

And he certainly wasn't hired to take a once-proud program and turn it into one that should have lost to a middling MAC school.

First we heard Callahan didn't have the right quarterback for the job, that it would take a couple of seasons before the change of culture could take shape. Now coordinator Kevin Cosgrove is falling on the sword because his defense can't stop anyone.

When Pederson announced Callahan's contract extension earlier this month, he spoke glowingly of the coach many Nebraskans had -- and still have -- reservations about. "In terms of what he's done for the program," Pederson said, "He has certainly met or exceeded my expectations at this juncture."

And that's the problem.

Instead of striving for perfection, Nebraska has settled for mediocrity.

Could Nebraska win the big games anymore with their old style of football and will they ever be able to win big games with the new style of football. Can they recruit players to come to Nebraska to fit the West Coast offense? Is it just bad coaching or do they not have the players to win the big games?
Mediocrity would be an improvement for the Huskers.

bigdsooner
9/26/2007, 09:01 PM
Solich coaches just down the road ;) , they might try giving him a call

Not sure if he'd answer, but its worth a shot

sooneron
9/26/2007, 09:04 PM
Who do you guys see taking the job IF callenberger were tossed?
No one like Rich R would touch that job. They were once a power that could prolly court anyone that they wanted to, now the rep is tarnished. A lot of that had to do with how the whole Solich/Pelini thing played out. bill is just another nail in the proverbial coffin. Not saying they won't be back. Hell, they still haven't reached the depths that we did, but finding a good fit will be tough.
It will be interesting as heck to see how Gill does at Buffalo.

Texas Golfer
9/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Firing Solich was the worst mistake they made...He only had a couple of years of Head coaching experience, he would have been ruling the Big 12 North by this time...Cally is awful.....

I agree and I admit it. I'm sure Nebraska would agree but never admit it.

Sooner1979
9/26/2007, 09:56 PM
Who do you guys see taking the job IF callenberger were tossed?
No one like Rich R would touch that job. They were once a power that could prolly court anyone that they wanted to, now the rep is tarnished. A lot of that had to do with how the whole Solich/Pelini thing played out. bill is just another nail in the proverbial coffin. Not saying they won't be back. Hell, they still haven't reached the depths that we did, but finding a good fit will be tough.
It will be interesting as heck to see how Gill does at Buffalo.
I agree with what you said...There are no programs in the country that have gone from a powerhouse to hiring an assistant coach and then firing him because they expect championships and then hire an inflated ego that isnt any good...

Nevermind, that was OU following the Switzer era, Gibbs era, Flatulenceberger era then Blake to present....

There is one common denominator...Maybe John Blake is really bad luck...If Nebbish hires that sloth next, well, enough said....

rfhlandstealer
9/26/2007, 10:07 PM
Nebraska should hire Stoops!!! Mike Stoops that is, I have a feeling he maybe looking for a job soon. At least he could bring meaning back to the black shirt D...

goingoneight
9/26/2007, 10:23 PM
I'm really glad that Fran and Callahan kept their jobs through this year... because I know Kragthorpe was interested in both programs... and I got a good feeling about him in a couple of years at the Ville.

Leroy Lizard
9/26/2007, 10:29 PM
Here is an intersting thread. It says a lot about how Husker fans view our team:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19296

JPNSKER
9/27/2007, 12:38 AM
Here's my 2cents on the subject at hand... (for what it's worth anyway)

Solich had to go. He had 6 years to take a championship team down the drain. Some guys are great Asst. coaches & some are great HC's. Frank was the previous. Yes, he was 9-3 before being fired & yes, Bo was a good DC for us, but we were OWNED by good teams that year. There was some talent in the ranks, but the depth had fallen greatly under the Solich regime.

Callahan has the offense in the right direction & thank God, Sam K chose the Huskers. He's the main reason we are 3-1. We are competeing for top talent (and getting it) against the likes of you guys & UT. What I don't like about Cally, is the fact that he hired his buddies that were proven to be mediocre. Cozgrove has been around CFB long enough to realize what works. If we could get a DC in here like Mike Stoops (just dreaming here), to compliment the O, I think good things would happen.

I think most Husker fans would agree with me, that OU is THE team in the Big12 this year. Reminds me of those old Big 8 t-shirts you could buy "Big Red & the seven dwarfs", that would be OU or NU, depending on your preference. Ahhhh, the good 'ol days.

My only hope this year is to outscore our opponents. Our offense is sitting at 14th nationally & I know that doesn't compare to the other Big 12 teams in the top five, BUT I would also stress the our competition has been a little tougher than the likes of KU & MU.

Who knows, maybe Cally will load up the team with talent (like Blake;) ) & we'll get our own "Stoops" to come in & dominate. Guess you gotta keep the faith! GBR!

Salt City Sooner
9/27/2007, 12:53 AM
Nebbish lost more than they thought to graduation last season. Callahan has not only alienated people. He has done what he did at Oakland: engender mediocrity. Maybe NU needs to beg Bo Pellini to come in and take the job they should have given him 4 years ago.
Word. My uncle has bled Husker red for over FIFTY years, & even he wants him gone. Never, ever thought I'd see the day.

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/27/2007, 04:14 AM
Maybe NU needs to beg Bo Pellini to come in and take the job they should have given him 4 years ago.

dingdingding! we have a winner!

Sooner in Tampa
9/27/2007, 05:53 AM
Since when was relevence important on this forum?

:D

Do you have a swimming pool?Why yes I do.

And I just happen to have a boat too.

BTW Callen$hithead will the demise of NU. The fact that they got rid of Solich for him is laughable. They will get what they deserve.

Veritas
9/27/2007, 08:49 AM
It's really easy to say, "let's get this ****ing bum outta here" but that just solves one half of the problem, because once the ****ing bum is gone someone has to replace him. If you only get half of the equation right, you're screwed.

This is where we are now: we got rid of Solich four years ago and it was the right move. But we only got half of it right; it's looking like we may have screwed up on the second half of the equation.

We are bringing in great players; but again, great players are only part of an equation. Great coaching is the other half, and we're very clearly missing that half, at least on the defensive side of the ball.

Nebraska fans used to measure success by our contention for national titles. Now we're hoping to win what has to be the weakest division in any BCS conference. If that's not mediocrity, I don't know what is.

crawfish
9/27/2007, 08:55 AM
It's really easy to say, "let's get this ****ing bum outta here" but that just solves one half of the problem, because once the ****ing bum is gone someone has to replace him. If you only get half of the equation right, you end up with Howard ***************.

How true...

badger
9/27/2007, 09:13 AM
Callahan is truly a terrible, terrible thing for Nebrasky.

As a Sooner fan by school since first attending in 2001, I have not known coaches to be bad role models, I have not seen losing seasons, I have not ever had a season where I didn't believe we couldn't win championships both conference and national.

This holiday season, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, let us fortunate Sooner fans remember the less fortunate.

A prayer for the fans of teams with Phil Fulmer, Charlie Weis, Dennis Franchione and last, but certainly least, Bill Callahan.

(silent prayer)

Amen... you effing hillbillies ;)

r5TPsooner
9/27/2007, 10:28 AM
NU deserves what they're getting. I hear all of this crap about about how great there fans are, but they're no better or worse than any other fan base (with the exceptions of CU, LSU, and KSU). They are great fans when they're winning and not so great when they're losing.

Quite frankly, the NU fan base needed a big piece of humble pie.

I hope they never fire Callahan as it means more recruits and titles for OU.

stoopified
9/27/2007, 10:58 AM
Are we sure John Blake isn't still coaching up there?He is ast HC at UNC under Butch Davis.