PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3?

skycat
9/26/2007, 05:18 PM
I saw a couple of people buying XBox 360s at Best Buy in like the 5 minutes I was there last night.

Anybody here get it?

Any good?

dolemitesooner
9/26/2007, 05:49 PM
I have been playing it the last 2 days at a buddys place here in boulder. I think it kinda sucks. I think RFOM on ps3 is much better.

MR2-Sooner86
9/26/2007, 07:48 PM
Haven't personally played it but I had friends yesterday come in for school and say they already beat it. From what I've heard, it's a good game. The problem is it's way too short.

As for the graphics, it doesn't beat Gears of War.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 07:50 PM
I don't think Halo's point was to out-graphic anyone. I haven't played it yet (have to buy a 360 first) but the complaint I've heard is that the campaign is a bit short. I've heard multiplayer has been tweaked back closer to Halo:CE, but they don't have a lot of available game types yet. Oh, and the complaint there is there aren't enough small maps.

MR2-Sooner86
9/26/2007, 07:54 PM
Oh, and the complaint there is there aren't enough small maps.

That's no problem for me. I HATE small maps. On Quake 4 the multi is nothing but small maps and the matches last no longer than three minutes. Now COD2 and COD3 I liked as the maps were big and I could hide and snipe people :D

Czar Soonerov
9/26/2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.playersbestnotbehatingonthelongestdomainnamein theworldsuckafool.info/videos/halo-most-important-video-game-ever

josh09
9/26/2007, 09:05 PM
Tight game, but too short.

I wish it would have been twice as long as the past ones, that would have made it perfect.

Other than that, its amazing.

SoonerStud615
9/26/2007, 09:19 PM
The graphics are far imrpved from Halo 2, IMO they look great.

The online play is a blast as all halo games are. It exceeded my expectations, and trust me, my expectations were high.

SoonerBBall
9/26/2007, 09:59 PM
Man, the whole Halo phenomenon really ****es me off.

All the Halo installments are mediocre games, and even worse first person shooters. The only reason they ever got popular is because Halo was the best FPS console game ever released. That put it nowhere in the list of great FPS games, because the good ones were only released on the computer.

Case in point, Team Fortress 2 was released in beta on Sep 17th. It is the sequel to the most popular mod in history (yes, bigger than CounterStrike), and will be released with Half Life 2: Episode 2 and Portals in October.

Do yourself a favor and skip Halo 3. Instead buy Half Life 2, play it with a mouse and a keyboard (which is about 100x more intuitive and efficient than a console controller), and get addicted to TF 2 instead. TF 2 will be played heavily for the next 5 years at least (the original Team Fortress mod for Quake has been played in competition for the last 13 years), while Halo 3 is going to have a shelf life equal to the next Halo sequel or a killer FPS app being released, whichever comes first.

/rant

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 10:02 PM
You sound like someone who likes realism in their FPSs. Personally, I never liked the mouse/keyboard interface, though I spent many hours on Quake II anyway. I'd rather have goofy plasma grenades and a bunch of freaky aliens to shoot.

Plus, every PC game that comes out you have to upgrade your video card, processor, memory, etc. etc. I'd rather just get a console.

SoonerBBall
9/26/2007, 11:19 PM
Team Fortress is far removed from realism. Ever heard of rocket jumping. :D

But no, it has nothing to do with realism or even setting and everything to do with gameplay and storyline. Half-Life and Unreal aren't realistic games at all, include all sorts of great alien weapons, and also had convincing, thoughtful stories that helped move the game along. All this and they didn't have to sacrifice gameplay to get it.

And in the last 5 years, it has become less necessary to upgrade your computer every 12 - 18 months, like it was in the late 90s and early 00s. I game fairly heavily on the PC and haven't upgraded my video card in over 2 years, but can still run all my games at killer speeds. The only games I can't run at max settings are the brand new ones that push the graphics/physics envelope.

Also, I don't care what FPS game you put me on. If you give me a mouse and keyboard against a player with a controller, I will whip some ***. It is just a far more accurate way to play FPSs.

GottaHavePride
9/27/2007, 12:43 AM
Team Fortress is far removed from realism. Ever heard of rocket jumping. :D

Sorry, I missed that TF2 is a Quake mod. Your mention of Counterstrike threw me off.

SoonerTerry
9/27/2007, 01:01 AM
<PC gamer

SoonerTerry
9/27/2007, 01:02 AM
I saw a couple of people buying XBox 360s at Best Buy in like the 5 minutes I was there last night.

Anybody here get it?

Any good?

Nope, I just don't get it..:D

The only console games I like are football games..

SoonerBBall
9/27/2007, 01:14 AM
Sorry, I missed that TF2 is a Quake mod. Your mention of Counterstrike threw me off.

It isn't. The original TF was a Quake mod. TF 2 is using the Source engine, but they have modified the physics to return to keep the gameplay closer to the original.

soonerboomer93
9/27/2007, 05:30 AM
http://www.playersbestnotbehatingonthelongestdomainnamein theworldsuckafool.info/videos/halo-most-important-video-game-ever

greatest link ever in the world, no really, it is...

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/27/2007, 09:44 AM
Halo 3 is a good console FPS. I agree that PC FPS games are better, but the constant upgrading ran me off, especially since the 360 graphics are HD.

Halo 3 is not better than Rainbow Six Las Vegas though...IMO.

IB4OU2
9/27/2007, 09:58 AM
btw, anybody have an extra pocket protector?

rufnek05
9/27/2007, 10:02 AM
no one gets Halo 3 to play the story mode. People buy it to play on-line. and the online play KICKS A$$!!!! the new levels and the remakes of some of the old levels are all great. That is all.

SoonerBBall
9/27/2007, 10:22 AM
no one gets Halo 3 to play the story mode. People buy it to play on-line. and the online play KICKS A$$!!!! the new levels and the remakes of some of the old levels are all great. That is all.

God forbid a game have both a great story and good online play. See both installments of Half-Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast 2, etc.

Really though, it is nice that the online console FPS play is hitting its stride. Online PC FPS play from 13 years ago would like to congratulate them. ;)

OU4LIFE
9/27/2007, 11:03 AM
I'll always be a little partial to CS...

OUDoc
9/27/2007, 11:44 AM
I'll always be a little partial to CS...
http://www.nndb.com/people/083/000023014/c_stevens_lg.jpg

rufnek05
9/27/2007, 11:49 AM
God forbid a game have both a great story and good online play. See both installments of Half-Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast 2, etc.

Really though, it is nice that the online console FPS play is hitting its stride. Online PC FPS play from 13 years ago would like to congratulate them. ;)

I would much rather play console FPS, not for the graphics or better online play, but i can get more FPS for my console than my PC. Like someone else said, PC require too many upgrades from one mega game release to the next. And too many uber-geeks play FPS on PC.

but that's just me.

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/27/2007, 02:27 PM
I would much rather play console FPS, not for the graphics or better online play, but i can get more FPS for my console than my PC. Like someone else said, PC require too many upgrades from one mega game release to the next. And too many uber-geeks play FPS on PC.

but that's just me.

I think the major jump for me on console FPS games was the 360. The controller is one of the best feeling and most comfortable and easy to use controllers there is. With PS2, the controller was not designed to effectively use the 2 joysticks and the buttons, for me anyway.The 360's offset joysticks just work WAY better for me, and so I am more effective with a FPS.

My PC has been downgraded to email and internet surfing.

SoonerBBall
9/27/2007, 02:28 PM

but that's just me.

Even though I already addressed the cost of upgrading a PC, I'll still concede that argument to you. However, too many uber-geeks play FPS on PC? Really? Did you just type that? You do realize that you are discussing a video game in an online forum, right? Just because you use poor grammar and spelling and talk about getting drunk and screwing your girlfriend doesn't somehow make you any less of a geek. Oh, wait, I get it. You just get tired of getting your *** handed to you by 13 year olds with skill. Oh well, my online pride doesn't stop me from playing great games, even if I do get my *** handed to me by some 12 year olds.

Sooner_Bob
9/27/2007, 10:38 PM
I'm really thinking about buying a 360 . . . not sure the wife will agree though. Maybe if I sell my Xbox on eBay . . . hmmmm.

SoonerStud615
9/29/2007, 09:32 AM
I just beat the campaign last night. It was actually pretty fun. One of those damned levels took an hour!