PDA

View Full Version : Could we win an AP National Title this year a la USC...

Readyfor8
9/26/2007, 01:36 PM
Ok, I just had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine that I wanted to share with you. However, first of all I would like to say this is prognostication and the first thing that needs to be done is win the games on the schedule and worry about the ones that aren't on there yet (like a bowl) later.

But there was some discussion about the 2003 "championship" USC won and I believe it boils down to 5 parts.

1) Every top team in 2003 had a loss, that could happen again, but 2003 Oklahoma was crowned gods of everything up until the final 2 weeks of play when we lost to KSU in the championship game. If we had only lost to LSU in the Sugar, there would have been no split title but because we lost twice, the media had an arguement with the BCS over who should have been in the game and the BCS chose the least liked team of the three to be there (us.)

2) USC was the odd man out, I firmly believe that if it wasn't USC being left out, there would have been no split title. Blame it on location of the majority of writers voting in the AP, blame it on ESPN, blame it on Will Farrell whatever, the media has loved USC for a while now and they are going to continue to love USC. (BTW you have to respect what they have done)

3) A weak B12 conference. Now this is in my opinion a conundrum, because the conference was touted as weak all year, that the south's best team was followed by Texas and then 10 wannabe's who just followed because of the BCS money we split. Then Kansas State beats us and now all of the sudden there is parity in the B12. There are two things that can happen after a College Football upset, Team A who is percieved as good gets dragged down to Team B's level, or team B who is percieved as terrible gets annointed to the level of Team A. Oh and Senario B applies only to Big10 and Pac10 schools and maybe Notre Dame. In our case, Senario A happened to the whole conference after we lost by a touchdown and KState lost by a touchdown in both BCS bowls.

4) It all depends on who we beat in the BCS bowl game. USC beat Iowa the year before in the Orange Bowl, then they beat the one team that does more for the team that plays them than any other Michigan (see USC, Texas, Nebraska "when did they get good again THEY DIDN'T", USC again last year) to win the AP championship. If we were to knock off an annointed Big10 team like Michigan, or maybe Ohio State, or Notre Dame we would get respect either deserved or otherwise.

5) Utter domination of everyone on the schedule. The Pac 10 went 4-2 in thier bowls in 2003 and USC dominated every single one of them. Sure they played Minnisota's and New Mexico's and only 2 of their bowls wins were vs. ranked opponents, but they won. And we have to hope to dominate and for our B12 breathern to make good after bowl season starts.

Now number 3 is a given, and number 1 and number 4 are very unlikely, number 2 is happening as we speak and only number 5 is controlled by us. Should Bob Stoops be running up the score, should he be scoring 70+ a game if he can? I don't think so, but I sure want #8 so I don't know.

I guess the more important question is if we did win a split title and we didn't win the BCS part of it, would we claim it? We sure gave USC a hard time for that in 03...

stunandun
9/26/2007, 01:48 PM
My understanding is that the AP quit giving titles soooooo, no there cannot be another split title.

auto
9/26/2007, 01:52 PM
There was no split title. Only one team was holding th crystal football after the game and SUC was not there.

auto
z

SteelClip49
AP still awards a title and no OU would not receive one if a similar situation happened like 2003. BTW Auto, I have no idea where you have been but the AP is recognized for 2003. Crystal ball has been around since 1986 and since then there have been 4 split title years.

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 01:53 PM
I don't want it. BCS or bust. USC can spit and spin on their 2003 "championship".

auto
9/26/2007, 01:56 PM
AP still awards a title and no OU would not receive one if a similar situation happened like 2003. BTW Auto, I have no idea where you have been but the AP is recognized for 2003. Crystal ball has been around since 1986 and since then there have been 4 split title years.

I have been around plenty. As far as I am concerned since the BCS has come into contention there is one champions, period, simple, end of discussion.

SteelClip49
9/26/2007, 01:59 PM
from a fan's pov but no matter what system is in place, unless it's a playoff, the AP will always be counted.

colleyvillesooner
9/26/2007, 02:02 PM
The Big 12 signed up for the BCS, just like everyone else. That is the National Championship.

P.S. How about we beat Colorado first...

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 02:10 PM
from a fan's pov but no matter what system is in place, unless it's a playoff, the AP will always be counted.

In 2003, the AP was part of the BCS process. For them to designate their own champion was especially ridiculous. And then ********* ****hole Assmonkey ****face wore his "F*** the BCS" shirt during a TV interview, only to lift the BCS trophy a few months later. What a dick.

Widescreen
9/26/2007, 02:17 PM
The AP poll is irrelevant since they pulled out of the BCS claiming that they "didn't want to create news". And yet they continue to release their weekly poll and crown a "national champion". Aren't those activities also "creating news"? The AP can suck it.

Readyfor8
9/26/2007, 02:23 PM
While I have agreed with the point of view that there is one champion and that champion gets a crystal ball.

However, I find it hard to believe that if we get an AP National Title this year, the number 2007 won't be somewhere on the stadium next year.

Stoop Dawg
9/26/2007, 04:20 PM

What makes you think the AP wouldn't continue to release a poll and issue a "National Championship" even if there was a playoff?

The NCAA doesn't recognize a National Champion, hence all the 3rd parties doing it for them.

SteelClip49
9/26/2007, 04:40 PM
there will always be polls even when playoffs are around.

Eventually it will be known as the NCAABCSAP National Championship.

Doged
9/26/2007, 05:11 PM
If it were to happen, I'm sure the school would recognize it. I, however, would be less than thrilled with it. I'm of the school that the AP is now irrelevant and the BCS Champion is the national champ for 1A (or bowl championship subdivision, whatever).

birddog
9/26/2007, 05:21 PM
In 2003, the AP was part of the BCS process. For them to designate their own champion was especially ridiculous. And then ********* ****hole Assmonkey ****face wore his "F*** the BCS" shirt during a TV interview, only to lift the BCS trophy a few months later. What a dick.

wait, who?

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 05:24 PM
wait, who?

Crosseyed Joe, the USC QB.

birddog
9/26/2007, 05:26 PM
really? i missed that. what an a-hole.

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 05:36 PM
really? i missed that. what an a-hole.

Exactly.

It was a TV interview at the beginning of season. I think they showed it during College Gameday. So there Leinart is, wearing his "F#@! THE BCS" T-shirt.

Forget the whole whiny-*** crybaby angle for a minute. You would hope that he would have had enough sense to not display a thinly-veiled obscenity during a TV interview. Barring that, surely Pete Carroll or somebody else from the coaching staff could have advised against it? Most perplexing, why did the TV people allow him to wear that??

I wonder what Chubby did with that T-shirt after they won the BCS championship game that season? :rolleyes:

And that is why I hate, hate, hate Matt ****ing Leinart.

arcman46
9/26/2007, 07:02 PM
The problem is that the BCS is the system that everyone is under. Therefore the winner of the BCS championship game IS THE NATIONAL CHAMPION. USuC therefore has one national championship, not two. If the scenario occurs that we are left out of the BCS championship game, and the AP awards us their championship, it will be just as good as USuC's AP championship. We might honor it, but it still will not be the true National championship. Only the BCS can award that now.

badger
9/27/2007, 09:50 AM
What makes you think the AP wouldn't continue to release a poll and issue a "National Championship" even if there was a playoff?

The NCAA doesn't recognize a National Champion, hence all the 3rd parties doing it for them.
Duke has a "AP regular season champions" banner from a year when they were ranked #1 in the polls, only to be ousted in the March Madness tourney later... at an early round, like the Sweet 16.

Laughable, yes, and that's what the AP poll will become should they revert to a playoff.

stoopified
9/27/2007, 10:25 AM
I'll take it.

yermom
9/27/2007, 10:48 AM
well, the only way this would happen is if we jump LSU and USC in the AP poll

not bloody likely