PDA

View Full Version : Pool Owners?

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 08:59 AM
We are buying a house in Tulsa that has a pool and I was wondering what a ballpark cost of maintenance was monthly, increase in home insurance and the general hassle factor in owning one?

and I like to swim too Howzit!

Mongo
9/26/2007, 09:04 AM
maintenance depends on the pool. How old it is, how good of shape the equipment is.

as far as chemicals go, it depends on what kind of pool it is. Chlorine, salt, Baquacil(sp). If you dont take care of the water and its chemical, you will pay out the butt.

I dont know the insurance hike rate, but there will be one.

Hassle factor: I serviced pools and equipment for a couple of years, I will never have one.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 09:13 AM
The pools about 5 years old and in good shape. The chemicals used are chlorine. Personally it will be alot easier taking care of a pool compared to mowing and maintaining 2 1/2 acres with about 100 trees weekly....my back will appreciate it.

Mongo
9/26/2007, 09:19 AM
If you arent familiar with pool chemistry, I'd suggest shopping around for service companies. You can arrange it so they can come out weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. They usually clean/vacuum the pool, empty out skimmers and pump baskets, backwash the filter if needed, and check/add chems.

I know the co. I worked for charged around 45-75 dollars per cleaning and chemical work.

Or the option of taking a sample of your water in to the pool co. They wil do all the testing and tell you what to add, but even then, you can get yourself in trouble.

MamaMia
9/26/2007, 10:28 AM
Our taxes went up quite a bit, but where I live, they'll raise your property taxes if you get a swing set. My pool is heated and so I keep it open 6 months a year. I added up the additional cost of everything just last month; including pump maintenance, taxes, chemicals, the pool boy who comes out once a week, the money I've shelled out for parts and labor for various things that have needed fixed or replaced here and there, the added expense of gas and water and figured it cost about an extra $4,000.00 a year to have the pool. I just noticed the pipe/hose to the slide is leaking, so that will have to be fixed.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 10:38 AM
In this part of the country, with the wind (and all Tulsa's vaunted trees) you'll have to clean the pool a lot. Plus, the chemicals go crazy when farmers start burning off their fields. It takes a lot of work to counteract all the ash landing in your pool.

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 10:38 AM
after 15 years of ownership, I break down my pool cost by hours used swimming.

It comes to ............oh................
about $1000 per personhour of use.

I will nevar have another pool.

r5TPsooner
9/26/2007, 10:41 AM
They offer classes on maintaining a pool. I know of one in OKC, and I highly recommend it, as it can be overwhelming to someone who has never owned and maintained a pool before.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 10:44 AM
Our taxes went up quite a bit, but where I live, they'll raise your property taxes if you get a swing set. My pool is heated and so I keep it open 6 months a year. I added up the additional cost of everything just last month; including pump maintenance, taxes, chemicals, the pool boy who comes out once a week, the money I've shelled out for parts and labor for various things that have needed fixed or replaced here and there, the added expense of gas and water and figured it cost about an extra $4,000.00 a year to have the pool. I just noticed the pipe/hose to the slide is leaking, so that will have to be fixed.

Do they have pool girls mama?

MamaMia
9/26/2007, 12:42 PM
Do they have pool girls mama? What would be the point? http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/shy02.gif

Mjcpr
9/26/2007, 12:43 PM
The first thing you need is a sign that says "We do not swim in your toilet, please do not pee in our pool".

boomersooner28
9/26/2007, 12:47 PM
My in-laws have a pool and I was talking to my father-n-law over the weekend about the pool. He said he wants to fill it in because it is nothing but a pain in the arse and they only get to use it a couple months out of the year. I was thinking about buying a house with a pool also, BUT I have changed my mind.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 12:51 PM
The first thing you need is a sign that says "We do not swim in your toilet, please do not pee in our pool".

Only if 1tc comes over, then we'll tape it to his forehead.

Condescending Sooner
9/26/2007, 12:54 PM
Unless you have small children who love to swim, it isn't worth it.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 12:58 PM
Unless you have small children who love to swim, it isn't worth it.

How about older men recovering from back surgery and a bad right leg? We need some way to exercise.

Howzit
9/26/2007, 01:43 PM
I have a chlorine pool, and I don't have to do much in terms of maintenance.

1) Optimizer is your friend. It's pricey, about $118 for a one-time treatment per season, but it has kept my other chemical requirements down from last year. Don't know how it works. Don't care. I'll use it again next year.

2) If the pool doesn't have a Polaris get one. It's a big reason I don't have to do much maintenance. It keeps the bottom and sides pretty much clear of algae and picks up almost everything in terms of leaves, dirt, and abandoned cars.

Ok, I made the abandoned cars part up.

When I bought the house I expected a lot more hassle. It just hasn't been that bad.

Hard to give you an exact figure on $, but I think I bought a $75 bucket of Chlorine tabs at the start of the summer that's about due to be replenished and probably another $75 - $100 on shock.

If it's a DE filter you'll pay around $40 for a bag of DE that will last you a summer.

Not sure about insurance difference.

Position Limit
9/26/2007, 01:48 PM
if you do it yourself, it's all trial and error. it's not that much of a hassle. i know people that obsess about 1 leaf in their pool. if you freak out about every little thing, you're going to turn out just like some of the above posters and their pool experience. if you cant afford it, don't get it. it's pretty simple, just keep chlorine in it and use phos-free instead of algaecide. vac it every few weeks. once summer ends, i run my pump about 2 hours a day and never have problems. i keep it open all winter. big deal. enjoy.

Mjcpr
9/26/2007, 02:22 PM

1) Optimizer is your friend. It's pricey, about $118 for a one-time treatment per season, but it has kept my other chemical requirements down from last year. Don't know how it works. Don't care. I'll use it again next year.

2) If the pool doesn't have a Polaris get one. It's a big reason I don't have to do much maintenance. It keeps the bottom and sides pretty much clear of algae and picks up almost everything in terms of leaves, dirt, and abandoned cars.

When I bought the house I expected a lot more hassle. It just hasn't been that bad.

Hard to give you an exact figure on $, but I think I bought a $75 bucket of Chlorine tabs at the start of the summer that's about due to be replenished and probably another $75 - $100 on shock.

If it's a DE filter you'll pay around $40 for a bag of DE that will last you a summer.

I can get you a way better deal on a Shocker.

Lemme know.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 03:28 PM

What's a Polaris? Is that like Momma Mia's pool boy?

LilSooner
9/26/2007, 03:35 PM
Polaris is your friend. Its this little robot that sucks up everything off the floor then it has a tail that shoots out water that any settle dirt it stirs it up so that the pool can filter it.

Your also looking at about 1500 dollars to buy one and have it installed. Even with 5 huge *** trees in the back yard I didn't have too much trouble keeping it clear and clean.

This year I may have spent about 200 bucks the entire year on chemicals. You don't need someone to do it for you its way easy.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Polaris is your friend. Its this little robot that sucks up everything off the floor then it has a tail that shoots out water that any settle dirt it stirs it up so that the pool can filter it.

Your also looking at about 1500 dollars to buy one and have it installed. Even with 5 huge *** trees in the back yard I didn't have too much trouble keeping it clear and clean.

This year I may have spent about 200 bucks the entire year on chemicals. You don't need someone to do it for you its way easy.

Cool! I'll have to get one after I sell my Cub Cadet (cause I won't need it anymore. Small yard)

Thanks Lil!

colleyvillesooner
9/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Polaris is liked a Creepy Crawly on steroids.

And there's nothing like walking in your backyard and having that little bastard spray you with it's tail.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 03:43 PM
Polaris is liked a Creepy Crawly on steroids.

And there's nothing like walking in your backyard and having that little bastard spray you with it's tail.

You should give it a name.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 03:46 PM
WonTeeCee?

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 03:54 PM
WonTeeCee?

Bingo!

StoopTroup
9/26/2007, 03:56 PM
Pools are OK...especially if you have kids.

If your older may I suggest the James Brown Hot Tub.

When I use mine...

I FEEL GOOD !

http://blogging.la/archives/images/2006/07/james_brown's_celebrity_hot_tub_party023-thumb.jpg

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Pools are OK...especially if you have kids.

If your older may I suggest the James Brown Hot Tub.

When I use mine...

I FEEL GOOD !

http://blogging.la/archives/images/2006/07/james_brown's_celebrity_hot_tub_party023-thumb.jpg

Free James Brown!

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 04:02 PM
Bingo!

It was either that or 1TC3PO.

Howzit
9/26/2007, 04:03 PM
Cool! I'll have to get one after I sell my Cub Cadet (cause I won't need it anymore. Small yard)

Thanks Lil!

You're welcome!

:mad:

Howzit
9/26/2007, 04:04 PM
I can get you a way better deal on a Shocker.

Lemme know.

Call me.

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 04:08 PM
This year we installed a salt based chlorine generator.
Aqua Rite.

I produces chlorine from salt which you add to your pool. No more chlorine.
No bleachy smell, no red eyes, no irritation to your skin.
It is the best thing I have done to my pool.
which as I stated above, we dont use very much, but I must admit that it has been far more enjoyable this year with the Aqua Rite Chlorine generator.

Cost..............meh.....$ 700 -$1200 if you can install it yourself.
Maintenance..... it tells you when to add salt.
I also have a Polaris, which is the 4th pool cleaner I have had and the second time for a Polaris. It does the best job, but, as stated, it is a lot like
1TC......you just don't know when it's gonna pizz on something you didn't want pizzed on. But, since I installed the Aqua Rite, I dont worry about it peeing water I just added bleach to onto someone's nice clothes.
Not mine, but someone who wears nice clothes.

For those of you who dont have an Aqua Rite, you outta check it out.

helpful link (http://www.swimmingpool.com/vendors/goldline/aquarite.html)

oilmud
9/26/2007, 04:13 PM
$50-70 per month, electricity and chemicals. It's easy to do yourself and for some reason beer tastes better when your sitting poolside.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 04:17 PM
You're welcome!

:mad:

and you too Howzie! :O:

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 04:23 PM
after 15 years of ownership, I break down my pool cost by hours used swimming.

It comes to ............oh................
about $1000 per personhour of use.

I will nevar have another pool.
So your saying ya have a HOLE in the ground ya pour money into ? And Ya have a hole in the water Ya pour money into . :confused:
:P

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 05:48 PM
So your saying ya have a HOLE in the ground ya pour money into ? And Ya have a hole in the water Ya pour money into . :confused:
:P

yeah, Im thinking I should park the hole in the water in the hole in the ground, take my losses and consdier my financial future to be better off.

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 06:56 PM
yeah, Im thinking I should park the hole in the water in the hole in the ground, take my losses and consdier my financial future to be better off.
You could put some of those fish ya raise, in the hole in the ground park that hole in the water in it and sell fishing tours !;)

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 07:19 PM
But Hell I came up with the Idea , I should get a % of the sales !:P

OUinFLA
9/26/2007, 07:36 PM
I'll trade you equal shares of "OUinFLA's Exotic Swimming & Fishing Combo Tours" for "Olevet's Ski Lodge & Hot Tub" operation.

I dont really want any shares of your agriculture operation though. But, I would help you test the crop.

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 08:35 PM
I'll trade you equal shares of "OUinFLA's Exotic Swimming & Fishing Combo Tours" for "Olevet's Ski Lodge & Hot Tub" operation.

I dont really want any shares of your agriculture operation though. But, I would help you test the crop.
Done !

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 08:36 PM

Hey Bro mebey we can sell time shares !
**** that nigerian dude . we can get rich with out him !:cool: