PDA

View Full Version : Around The Big 12: Big 12 North

David Earl
9/26/2007, 08:34 AM
Nebraska – I’m not drinking the corn-syrup sweetened kool-aid. Nebraska is not that good. Their offense has some firepower, but their defense is hurting. Their defense isn’t top 25 in any national ranking. The black shirts have faded to legends of teams past. The Huskers have not done anything impressive yet. They may be fourth in the North. I think they’ll win about six games this season.

Mizzou – The Tiger defense doesn’t shine too much on national stats either. However, their offense is potent with Chase Daniel slinging the pill. The Tigers are currently 4-0 and I believe they will finish with three losses; OU, CU and KU.

KSU – The Wildcats devoured two cupcakes after losing to struggling Auburn. They have the look of a team that could be catching their stride. However, I suspect instate rival Jayhawks are better and KSU won’t quite be able to muster a North title.

Kansas - You people laugh all you want, but I believe the Jayhawks are going to win the North. Reasonable candidates to beat them are CU, Mizzou and KSU. Even if KU drops one of those games, they could win the north. Folks, it’s not outside the realm of reason for KU to run the table. I know their schedule’s been a little soft, but they’ve won big in games they used to win small, or lose. And take a look at their national stats. They are top 10 in some key categories on both sides of the ball.

Colorado - I was ready to anoint CU as the favorite in the North race until they lost to FSU. The ASU loss is understandable as the Sun Devils seem to be pretty good, but the Buffs needed to beat FSU. Their defense is looking decent, but their offense needs work. They will make a push at the North, but fall short.

Iowa State - This is Chizik’s first year so I’m not expecting too much. The only thing they’ve done so far is beat their in state nemesis. They may be gradually improving and could upset someone’s apple cart, but they’re not going to challenge for the North.

fwsooner22
9/26/2007, 08:41 AM
Dang.....I don't disagree with any of that.....great stuff, DE!!!!!

Blitzkrieg
9/26/2007, 09:17 AM
Before the season I picked the north on a mizzou board like this

MU
KU
NU
KSU
CU
ISU

I've seen nothing to make me change that. KU should be ranked about 22, NU 25th, and Mizzou about 17th. MU has gone on the road and beat a Big 10 (In St Louis) and a SEC school. Ole miss had a closer game with Fla than with MU. Chase Daniel is the best QB in the league, and their Wrs and TEs as a group might be the second best group in the league, to ours.

David Earl
9/26/2007, 09:29 AM
Blitz, I can't disagree that Mizzou might be better than KU. However, Mizzou has to play us and Tech. We should beat them and Tech could possibly outscore them. So even if they beat KU and are the better team, KU could win the North due to having a more favorable conference schedule.

Plus, Pinkel seems to find a way to lose a key game.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/26/2007, 09:33 AM
Plus, Pinkel seems to find a way to lose a key game.

Exactly. He found a way to lose with Brad Smith for 4 years

Blitzkrieg
9/26/2007, 09:35 AM
Pinkel has built up quite a little offensive monster this year. Jeremey Maclin, who verballed to OU intially is leading the nation in all purpose yards, in front of McFadden and everyone else.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2007/leader/national/player/split01/category11/sort01.html

As Daniel goes, so go the Tigers.

I agree about KU, and I picked them second more on their schedule and on Maginos abilties, but they lack star power and are razor thin at several positions. I think they take NU to the woodshed this year, and getting MU at home at the end of the year is big for them. They have to go to Stoolwater, Collie Station and Boulder. KSU will probably beat them them in Mancrappin. Not easy at all.

David Earl
9/26/2007, 09:39 AM
I've got Mizzou losing to CU because they play in Boulder and CU has the better defense.

Blitzkrieg
9/26/2007, 09:42 AM
CU baffles me, I guess we'll know more soon enough. I thouth Cody Hawkins looked great against CSU, but F$U made him look feeble.

The north has some very interesting QBs. As a unit, they are as good or better than the Souths QBs.

David Earl
9/26/2007, 09:50 AM
The north has some very interesting QBs. As a unit, they are as good or better than the Souths QBs.

I'm not sure on this one Blitz. Sam, Harrell and McCoy are really good. Robin[ert]son isn't bad for the Pokes. I think South QB's will combine for more passing yards than the North guys. That might be a fun stat to watch.

CitySooner
9/26/2007, 09:58 AM
You are spot on with the way I see the North also, DE ;) . I think the BlackSkirts will be lucky to finish third, and Kansas does have the inside track to take the North. Any KU games going to be shown in OKC?

Blitzkrieg
9/26/2007, 10:39 AM
Keller versus Bradford, tough one. Keller would be the clear Heisman frontrunner had he come to OU. Bradford will be better in time.

McCoy versus Josh Freemen, I'd take Freeman hands down. Mccoy is a system QB.

Daniel versus Harrell, I'd again take Daniel. How Leach let him out fo Sotuhlake Carroll to MU is beyond me. I can't imagine what hsi stats would be in Leach's freakshow offense.

McGhee versus Hawkins, I'd go with McGhee I guess.

The rest, who cares?