PDA

View Full Version : People who don't stop at red lights are the succ

Okla-homey
9/25/2007, 07:17 PM
There I was, minding my own bidness, cruising thru the intersection on the way to work. Green light for me of course. (7th and Detroit if you're Tulsa savvy...I'm westbound on 7th)

From my left, blitzes a '99 Plymouth "Breeze" blowing right thru the light. He informs me later he's late for work at the Greyhound Bus Station.:rolleyes:

T-bones yours truly with a full head of steam at about 45mph. Nary a skidmark cuz he never even tapped the brakes.:eek:

My poor F-150 is totalled, but I walked away. I'm banged-up, but functioning. I'm just glad the main point of impact was my door hinge and the front left quarter panel. That mashed all that metal into the dash instead of my soft pink body.

The d00d that hit me is walking around too. But his Breeze won't be blowing again though. That thing had so many deployed airbags in it, it looked like the balloon man was making a delivery.

Best part, other than no cuttage of bleedage, was the two off-duty Tulsa firemen who saw the whole flippin' thing. When the cop showed-up, he talked to me and the witnesses and cited Mr. Blitzer (not his real name). His inshorance has already accepted liability, and I gots a sweet rental Silverado to drive until five days after the insurance company makes me an offer for my deceased F-150.

Downside: That truck has been paid-off for six years. :mad:

Sooo. I'm veehickle shopping on Saturday. Good thing we're playing in Colorado.

That is all.

P.S. I'm going to my doc in the morning just to make sure I'm still fit to fight.

olevetonahill
9/25/2007, 07:29 PM
Glad your Ok :)

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2007, 07:29 PM
glad to hear you made it.

It would be a shame for the world to lose a lawyer. ;)

SCOUT
9/25/2007, 07:32 PM
That sucks Homey. Glad to your you made it through mostly unscathed.

Okla-homey
9/25/2007, 07:33 PM
the wreckage...

http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/30487/2003018607358129293_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003018607358129293)

StormySooner-IN
9/25/2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your truck. Glad to hear you alright.

We'll just assume he was an aggie....derned aggs....

StoopTroup
9/25/2007, 07:43 PM
I don't know....

I think your F-150 still might outrun the new Silverado...:D

Wow Homey....

Glad your OK.

That sucks losing a paid off vehicle.

Hope things work out in your favor.

Good call on seeing the Doc.

ST

GottaHavePride
9/25/2007, 07:50 PM
Dang, Homey. Glad you're ok.

Have Boarder pimp out the Silverado with some spinners before you turn it back in. ;)

Mixer!
9/25/2007, 07:52 PM
Glad you're okay, Homey. Watch that insurance company of Breezy's close, don't let them jack you around.

C&CDean
9/25/2007, 08:00 PM
Getting in wrecks is the suck. However, getting hit with a couple of credible and willing eyewitnesses is not the suck. Glad it ain't your fault, and glad you didn't get chingered up. Just don't go buy a "lawyer" car with the $$. Get yourself another truck.

Cam
9/25/2007, 08:44 PM
Crappy news but I'm glad you're ok.
Ditto

OCUDad
9/25/2007, 08:53 PM
Dang, Homey - glad you're relatively unscathed. I'll have to remember that excuse next time I'm late for work. Didn't know it was OK to run red lights under those circumstances.

OU Adonis
9/25/2007, 08:58 PM
my soft pink body.

Go on.....

Glad your alright homey.

soonerbrat
9/25/2007, 09:07 PM
ugh...now you'll have a car payment that you shouldn't have had for a while more. Glad you're ok...you'll prolly be really sore tomorrow..that stuff usually doesn't bother you for a day or so.

oh..and word of advice...have your own insurance company do the appraisal on your car...you won't get your deductible until they subrogate, but i'm sure it will be worth the wait. I hope for your sake that the tard that hit you doesn't have USAA insurance.

BudSooner
9/25/2007, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear your ok Homey, damn that looks pretty bad but the way it sounds it appears your in good hands.

Your not with Allstate are ya? :D

Nary a skidmark

It's a good thing you listened to your mom about wearing fresh drawers eh?

OKC-SLC
9/25/2007, 09:20 PM
Homey, glad you're ok.

Had someone total my paid-for pickup a couple years back. I still haven't gotten over it.

Okla-homey
9/25/2007, 09:22 PM
Getting in wrecks is the suck. However, getting hit with a couple of credible and willing eyewitnesses is not the suck. Glad it ain't your fault, and glad you didn't get chingered up. Just don't go buy a "lawyer" car with the $$. Get yourself another truck.

I'm thinking about one of those Jeep Wrangler Unlimited's.

OKC-SLC
9/25/2007, 09:57 PM
Dear Homey,

Don't buy a Wrangler.

Sincerely,
Everyone who's ever bought a Wrangler

colleyvillesooner
9/25/2007, 10:02 PM
Glad you're ok man...

colleyvillesooner
9/25/2007, 10:03 PM
I hope for your sake that the tard that hit you doesn't have USAA insurance.

just curious, why is that?

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2007, 10:09 PM
Actually USAA had a chance to work me over and chose to do the right thing and take liability for their clients actions.

It only took them about a month to arrive at that conclusion.

royalfan5
9/25/2007, 11:06 PM
Good to hear your fine.

OU Adonis
9/25/2007, 11:07 PM
Hey I love my wrangler.

Sooner_Havok
9/25/2007, 11:08 PM
Glad to here you are ok, hope they give you enough to get a comparable truck though...

Sooner_Bob
9/25/2007, 11:10 PM
the wreckage...

http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/30487/2003018607358129293_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003018607358129293)

Ouch . . . glad you're still in one piece.

Sooner_Havok
9/25/2007, 11:17 PM
looks like his truck might have a slight pull to the left in it now :D

OUHOMER
9/25/2007, 11:26 PM
Glad your Ok Homey, I always wanted a hummer, but the wife wont go for it;)

tommieharris91
9/25/2007, 11:33 PM
Glad your Ok Homey, I always wanted a hummer, but the wife wont go for it;)

You need to talk to your wife some more. :D

tommieharris91
9/25/2007, 11:35 PM
Ohh, and glad you're OK Homey. Go get a badass truck.

Sooner_Havok
9/25/2007, 11:38 PM
You need to talk to your wife some more. :D

HA HA. Double entendre :D

jeremy885
9/25/2007, 11:51 PM
Actually USAA had a chance to work me over and chose to do the right thing and take liability for their clients actions.

It only took them about a month to arrive at that conclusion.

Lucky you. I had a minor fender bender (1K in damages to each car) with one of their clients. No witnesses, no police report, we both tried to get in the same lane at the same time, I was 29 and the other driver was 16. I claimed we were both at fault, the girl's parents, not wanting a higher insurance bill, claim I'm at fault, the claims person at USAA accuses me of lying and says they have it on tape that I admitted fault. I tell them nicely to go uck themselves and talk to my insurance company. I don't hear anything for 6 months until USAA wants to take it to arbitration. My insurance company settles by faulting me at 80%.

Moral of the story, USAA is good to have if you're their client; not so good if you're on the other side.

soonerboomer93
9/26/2007, 12:28 AM
sorry about the accident, glad you're ok...

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 12:33 AM
Homester have the truck towed to your Domicile (ya know yer shack)
Then when the other idjits insurance trys to take it after settling with you on Damages , Charge 20 a day fer storage .
Plus if you have any neat toys installed ya can Uninstall em . ;)

goingoneight
9/26/2007, 12:39 AM
I got me a 2006 Nissan Frontier off of my last accident. The bad part... lost a paid off vehicle. The good part... it was a whorn without insurance! I spent his money wisely. Well, 60% of it... I had a little fun at his expense also. :D

goingoneight
9/26/2007, 12:40 AM
Then when the other idjits insurance trys to take it after settling with you on Damages , Charge 20 a day fer storage .
Plus if you have any neat toys installed ya can Uninstall em . ;)

Wait 'til the vehicle is appraised before you strip 'er down. I got credit for a 6 disc CD changer, subwoofer and an amplifier that I later sold to my best friend. The tow truck guy came and picked up one gutted Dodge Dakota. :D

soonerbrat
9/26/2007, 07:49 AM

they are the worst about not wanting to pay claims.

crawfish
9/26/2007, 07:52 AM
Homey, you didn't answer the important question:

DID THE GUY MAKE IT TO WORK ON TIME?!?!?

I'd hate to think he was late after all that trouble. ;)

p.s. glad you're ok...

sooner_born_1960
9/26/2007, 07:56 AM
Actually, the guy did stop. Just a bit too far into the intersection. Glad you made it out ok, Homey.

SoonerJack
9/26/2007, 08:01 AM
Glad your ok, Homey. I would have never pegged you as a pickup driver though. I was guessing Volvo or perhaps Mercedes.

Sorry about your truck, the hassle and all that. I used to have an F150. I miss everything about it except filling it with gas.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 08:11 AM
Don't totally settle before you know that there aren't any physical latent
defects. I'm glad your OK.

Boomer.....
9/26/2007, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your wreck and glad that you are okay.

Tulsans are bad about running red lights.

crawfish
9/26/2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your wreck and glad that you are okay.

Tulsans are bad about running red lights.

In Dallas, you'll likely get rear-ended if you stop when a light first turns red.

IB4OU2
9/26/2007, 08:50 AM
In Dallas, you'll likely get rear-ended if you stop when a light first turns red.

I'm sure Siccum will be driving to Dallas in his Miata looking for red lights now.

Boomer.....
9/26/2007, 08:55 AM
Heh.

nmsoonergirl
9/26/2007, 09:58 AM
I'm really glad you are okay, especially after seeing the picture. Mr. NMS was a paramedic for years before going off to chef school, and anytime anyone asks him what kind of car they should buy he always says "I've never pulled a dead guy out of a full-sized truck."

You'll likely be sore tomorrow. If you can take ibuprofen, I'd load up on it before bed and take it every eight hours for a day or so.

Frozen Sooner
9/26/2007, 10:04 AM
Glad you're OK. Now go get yourself some Torts practice!

frankensooner
9/26/2007, 10:27 AM
Remember, never sign off on a general claims release! ;) Good luck and I hope you are all right. Get a good goings over from a doc. If you feel worse tomorrow, go back. If you have any bruising, take lots of pics and be sure to save lots of pics of the truck.

Okla-homey
9/26/2007, 11:13 AM
Back from the doc. I'm just sore. That should pass. I'm happy. No "hillbilly jackpot" for this hillbilly. Frankly, I would'nt trade my health for a million dollar judgment anyway.

Despite my misgivings about copping to dipping to my doc, I showed him the Skoal can that was in my pocket when Mr. Breeze schwacked me. It's crushed. Flat. He was impressed, then made me open my mouth so he could check for mouth cancer.:O

That said, I think it's gonna work out okay. I'm letting his carrier handle the claim. I went by the body shop where the dead truck sits and he was about to write up the appraisal. He'll transmit that to the insurance company today. If the repair total exceeds the NADA value (barring a miracle it will), then the insurance co. "total loss team" goes out and takes a gander. After that, and some cipherin', they make me an offer.

The people I've dealt so far have been pretty nice and helpful. I don't think they'll low-ball me cuz the firm I work for defends them when they get sued. Which is a plus.:D

If not, I'll get hyped-up on Mountain Dew and be on them like a spider monkey.

sooner_born_1960
9/26/2007, 11:17 AM
Skoal doesn't grow on trees, you know. Be sure and add that to your claim.

Okla-homey
9/26/2007, 11:22 AM
Skoal doesn't grow on trees, you know. Be sure and add that to your claim.

Durn tootin! And the pants it rur'nt.;)

Oldnslo
9/26/2007, 11:39 AM
glad you're okay, Homey. Need a lawyer?

Newbomb Turk
9/26/2007, 11:59 AM

this line just cracks me up.

glad you're ok homey.

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2007, 12:18 PM
I'm really glad you are okay, especially after seeing the picture. Mr. NMS was a paramedic for years before going off to chef school, and anytime anyone asks him what kind of car they should buy he always says "I've never pulled a dead guy out of a full-sized truck."

Ya hear that Sicem?? Your cars a death trap!!!!

BudSooner
9/26/2007, 04:59 PM
What shop did you take it to Homey?

Okla-homey
9/26/2007, 09:42 PM
What shop did you take it to Homey?

It was towed to Tulsa Collision Repair (41st and Memorial). The guy's insurance company declared it "totalled" today. So far, so good. With luck, they make me an offer on Friday, and I'll have my check on Wednesday. New wheels on Thursday. BTW, this full-size Chevy pick-up I'm driving (the rental) is pretty nice. I was always a Ford Truck Man...but if I was gonna get another pick-up, I'd give Chevy a shot at my bidness.

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2007, 09:51 PM
I don't know man. Wait first. Sicem seems to like the miata. At least give it a test drive.

Okla-homey
9/26/2007, 09:54 PM
I don't know man. Wait first. Sicem seems to like the miata. At least give it a test drive.

If you ever see me driving a Miata, it will be because I have lost my mind and turned fairy.

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 10:06 PM
If you ever see me driving a Miata, it will be because I have lost my mind and turned fairy.
You Go girl !:D

Preservation Parcels
9/27/2007, 12:23 AM
Homey,

I'm glad you're okay. That was a sweet truck, and it looks like you took good care of it, too. Husband was rear-ended years ago, and he was okay, but the car was totalled. After the insurance company's initial offering, I called several used car places and described the lost car as something I wanted to buy. They were selling similar cars for double to triple the amount. When presented with that info, the insurance company ponied up the highest amount I found. It was worth 15 minutes of phone calls.

soonerbrat
9/27/2007, 12:26 PM
Homey,

I'm glad you're okay. That was a sweet truck, and it looks like you took good care of it, too. Husband was rear-ended years ago, and he was okay, but the car was totalled. After the insurance company's initial offering, I called several used car places and described the lost car as something I wanted to buy. They were selling similar cars for double to triple the amount. When presented with that info, the insurance company ponied up the highest amount I found. It was worth 15 minutes of phone calls.

USAA tried to show me "comparable cars" that they found for sale on lots. my car was a 2000, in pristine condition and had a sunroof and all electric windows, etc. they were showing me 1999's with more miles than my car and no electric or sunroof. definitely check out dealership prices.

Okla-homey
9/27/2007, 06:29 PM
It's all good. I gots me me a check for absolute top dollar (per NADA) on my dead truck. I have no complaints.

I'm picking up my new veehickle after work tomorrow.

Bottomline: It was a pain in the kiester, but the fact I had witnesses, and the cop was willing to call one of them made the fault determination fast.

Had the cop been the type that said, "well, since you two can't agree on who had the light, I'm out and you need to call your companies and have them fight it out" I'd still be sitting here with a dead truck and no relief in sight.

Therefore, that's one TPD guy who I'll buy a beer or twelve if I ever see him again.

olevetonahill
9/27/2007, 06:32 PM
So ya Buyin NEW ?
Grats Homey glad it worked out for ya .
Hows the Neck tho ??????;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Okla-homey
9/27/2007, 06:48 PM
So ya Buyin NEW ?
Grats Homey glad it worked out for ya .
Hows the Neck tho ??????;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'm good. Just feel like I've been in a fight.

olevetonahill
9/27/2007, 06:49 PM
I'm good. Just feel like I've been in a fight.
NO ur Nek is Hurting Bad .;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Now are ya buying New ?
and What ya gettin ?

BudSooner
9/27/2007, 07:11 PM
Glad it worked out for you but sorry it had to come at the expense of getting clobbered. If'n that had been my insurance company, I would have been up the creek.

Did you say new? Can't go wrong with a new Chevy, or for that matter a Toyota.

bluedogok
9/27/2007, 08:09 PM
If I had to replace my 2000 F-150, the list would probably be a Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra then the new F-150. I have always been a Ford guy but I just like the Titan and Tundra a little better than the newer Fords.

My wife was rear ended at a light in March by the Austin Fire Department Safety House, he couldn't get it stopped in time, the truck slid by her and the house crunched the back tailgate of her Escape. She also knew the fireman driving, she officiated football with a few years ago. It was driveable, I had to take the sawz-all to part of the inner fender on the right rear. It took awhile to get through all of the city stuff and 6 weeks in the shop. She had a GMC Envoy rental and got it back about 4 days prior to our trip to Indy for the USGP. The final paperwork had the total for everything, the bodywork was $7,500 and the rental was $1,800.

SoonerGirl06
9/27/2007, 08:44 PM

Heh... this reminds me of the dumba*s I encountered on the way to work one day this week... they decided to STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRICKIN' INTERSECTION WHEN THE LIGHT TURNED YELLOW!!!! :mad: :mad:

Needless to say I was the car directly behind this MORON and had to SLAM on my brakes!!! :mad: :mad:

Needless to say all of the stuff in my purse, which was in the front seat, FLEW ALL OVER the floorboard!!!! :mad: :mad:

I was not happy. :mad:

GottaHavePride
9/27/2007, 09:08 PM
Shoulda zipped up your purse before you got in the car. ;)

olevetonahill
9/27/2007, 09:57 PM
Heh... this reminds me of the dumba*s I encountered on the way to work one day this week... they decided to STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRICKIN' INTERSECTION WHEN THE LIGHT TURNED YELLOW!!!! :mad: :mad:

Needless to say I was the car directly behind this MORON and had to SLAM on my brakes!!! :mad: :mad:

Needless to say all of the stuff in my purse, which was in the front seat, FLEW ALL OVER the floorboard!!!! :mad: :mad:

I was not happy. :mad:

So thats why ya lost my number and forgoted to remind of the Party :(
I forgive ya Baby :cool:

Ike
9/27/2007, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear you are OK.

One of our neighbors recently lost her brother to a red light runner.

SoonerGirl06
9/27/2007, 10:32 PM
Shoulda zipped up your purse before you got in the car. ;)

That's an impossibility. I am a woman. I have a lot of stuff in my purse, which 99% of the time is never big enough to hold all of the stuff.

Okla-homey
10/5/2007, 02:25 PM
Just to put a cap on this, I'm going to tell you how it all ended up. I share this b/c you might find something in this useful if you ever get bashed -- or shall I say "when" you get bashed, b/c it will prolly happen sooner or later.

The accident was on Tuesday, 9/25. It is now 10/5.

Property damage: The tortfeasors insurance company accepted liability and totalled my truck and paid me what it was worth. I got that check on Tuesday, 10/2. I have new wheels. A black 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited "Sahara Edition." Got it at invoice cuz it's an '07.So far, its very fun and I'm glad I went that way. Mileage is the only downside. I'm getting about 20mpg. But I digress.

Med/BI/Economic loss: Yesterday, I accepted their settlement offer on the balance of my claim. They covered my med pay which was peanuts for one doctor visit. They paid me decent bucks for pain and suffering and covered my lost wages (I missed one day at work.) They even bought the wristwatch I was wearing that got smooshed, but not the smooshed can of Skoal in my pocket:D . Of course, I signed a release of liability to get the check which I was comfortable doing because I know I'm fine.

NOTE: If there had been any doubt about my bod, I would not have accepted their check at this stage.

The settlement agreement I signed allows me up to 3K more on med pay if I want, but I prolly won't use it, unless I decide to give a chiro a crack at me for giggles. My doc's dx was a contusion on my left wrist, thigh and a strained thoracic and cervical spine. I dunno, today, I feel about the same as I did pre-MVA.

All in all, his insurer is otay by me. I let them handle the whole thing because I knew it wasn't going to be a UM/UIM dealio since he had insurance and I was reasonably certain my claim would come in under the statutory mins.

MOST IMPORTANT PART, LIFE LESSON ALERT!

The fact I had credible, independent witnesses to substantiate my version is what made this thing go down quick and smooth -- well that, and the fact they wanted to get that release to protect their insured from further liability;) . The fact three folks were kind enough to check on me and provide their names and phone #'s in case I needed them was GOLD.

As I said last week, the responding officer, when faced with me saying I had the light and the guy who bashed me insisting he had the light could have involved an extended sword dance between both insurance companies.

Thus, I'd still be in a rental vehicle but for that cop's willingness to call my witnesses on the phone from the scene. His acceptance of my witnesses' version allowed him to cite the other driver for running the light. In my case, that was tantamount to declaring the other guy at fault which made his insurance company accept liability in a flash. I'm informed not all cops will bother, but that guy saved me major hassles by doing so.

In short, if you get in a wreck, try to get anyone sober who can speak English who saw it (preferably not one of your passengers or relatives) to give your their identity and contact info. Then, beg the cop to call one of 'em at the scene if he's reluctant to do so That can help quickly resolve the whole thing. That is huge.

Also, if you witness an accident and can be reasonably certain of what happened, stop and give the poor sucker your name and phone.

That is all.

Newbomb Turk
10/5/2007, 02:41 PM
tantamount - good word.