PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the Gumby meltdown

Pages : [1] 2 3

Piware
9/22/2007, 07:39 PM
While she is far from my favorite sportswriter, the folks over on orangepower.com have taken irrational to a whole higher plane. She writes an article about Bobby Reid and they counter that she is a lesbian. Huh?

I don't care what her orientation is as long as she spells the names right but it seems to be a big deal over in Pukeland.

Newbomb Turk
9/22/2007, 07:45 PM
people hate any sportswriter that writes a negative article about their team - period. I've seen it way too many times on this site.

Cam
9/22/2007, 07:50 PM
That's funny cause the first week of the season she was "the only knowledgeable sports writer at the DO " for being the only writer to picked the pokes to win.

tulsaoilerfan
9/22/2007, 07:52 PM
If that's the article i read today, Reid got ripped on by whoever wrote the article and pretty much by the coaches.

OKLA21FAN
9/22/2007, 07:59 PM
While she is far from my favorite sportswriter, the folks over on orangepower.com have taken irrational to a whole higher plane. She writes an article about Bobby Reid and they counter that she is a lesbian. Huh?

I don't care what her orientation is as long as she spells the names right but it seems to be a big deal over in Pukeland.
i just want to watch :pop:

badger
9/22/2007, 08:57 PM
it is tough to be a chick writing about a male dominated sport, but someone who is neutral in the matter, I do not like her style of writing.

On the other hand, she is probably on par with many sports writers in the state.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:00 PM
This should be fun the aggies will get a new sense of greatness, an enhanced bounce in their collective steps, only to have their bubble burst by Baylor or Worse Sam Houston...both possibilities with such a POOOOOORRRR poke defense...

meoveryouxinfinity
9/22/2007, 09:02 PM
someone getting a screaming Gundy smiley, ASAP!

OKC-SLC
9/22/2007, 09:02 PM
This is not what I imagined when I saw the title of the thread.

oufan1
9/22/2007, 09:20 PM
www.koco.com he loses it over a carlson article. what a loser

meoveryouxinfinity
9/22/2007, 09:21 PM
I was LOLing, hard.

[hairGel]

Skysooner
9/22/2007, 09:26 PM
That was so completely unprofessional, I'm not exactly sure what to say.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know whether to rip him or praise him...very unique...

oufan1
9/22/2007, 09:34 PM
That was so completely unprofessional, I'm not exactly sure what to say.
He is a loser that is all you can say about it

Sooner02
9/22/2007, 09:35 PM
I have NO idea what he's talking about. Is the column online?

StoopTroup
9/22/2007, 09:36 PM
Another Jenny Magic Moment.

They should pull her press card.

She's an embarrassment to this State...

Dear Jenny's Mom...

I'm sorry for my comments....not really....

ST

orangekaje
9/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Bwhahaha. I would have loved to see Jenni's face. Apparently she was in there herself that he kept looking and pointing at.

oufan1
9/22/2007, 09:38 PM
I havent read the article either so just to be clear I am not bashing WHAT he said just HOW he say it.

Cam
9/22/2007, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing she was in the room since he kept staring at the same place in the room.

SapulpaSooner
9/22/2007, 09:40 PM
link to article?

Skysooner
9/22/2007, 09:40 PM
Here is the article.

http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190474803

StoopTroup
9/22/2007, 09:41 PM
I think Jenny is worse for this State's image than oSu football....

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:41 PM
...in response I will never refer to him as Gumby again, I love it that he was willing to fight for his guys....

OUHOMER
9/22/2007, 09:43 PM
what article is he referring too... LINK

OKC-SLC
9/22/2007, 09:44 PM
Wow. What an absolute loser grandstanding because he can.

Any inkling of validity his point might have had was lost when he said he hoped the author (JC) of the article had a kid get made fun of.

He completely and totally embodies OSU football. And they deserve him.

Great win today, Gundy. Way to give up half a mile of yards and manage to barely win. What a great coaching job you must have done to 'refocus' the team after YOU GOT EMBARASSED ON NATIONAL TV TO TROY EFFING STATE.

Loser. OU by 70.

oufan1
OK after reading the article I dont see what the big deal was. Most of the article is probably true.

StoopTroup
I'll bet this is what sent Gumby over the moon....LMAO...

There's something to be said for not being a malcontent, but you can almost see Reid shrugging his shoulders as he says those words. Does he have the fire in his belly?

Or does he want to be coddled, babied, perhaps even fed chicken?

That scene in the parking lot last week had no bearing on the Cowboys changing quarterbacks, and yet, it said so much about Reid. A 21-year-old letting his mother feed him in public? Most college kids, much less college football players, would just as soon be seen running naked across campus.

And what of the scene television cameras captured earlier that evening of Reid on the sidelines laughing with assistant strength coach Trumain Carroll? The same cameras showed him throwing his cap in disgust after a missed play earlier, but to be laughing in the final minutes of an embarrassing loss is bad form.

soonersn2007
9/22/2007, 09:45 PM
Article seems well written to me.

OUHOMER
9/22/2007, 09:49 PM
well, looks like she poked both reid and gundy in the eye.

XFollower
9/22/2007, 09:51 PM
I think gundy is just wanting to be like lester.

Ash
9/22/2007, 09:52 PM
That was the dumbest reaction to the media I've seen in a long time. He talks about maturity while acting like a five year old having a hissy fit. Is there something in the water up there that makes coaches explode and make asses of themselves?

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:54 PM
That was the dumbest reaction to the media I've seen in a long time. He talks about maturity while acting like a five year old having a hissy fit. Is there something in the water up there that makes coaches explode and make asses of themselves?

He was ****ed and he did not try to be politically correct...I appauld him for his support of his players...I bet it means a lot to them...

Cam
9/22/2007, 09:55 PM
He should've called her later to thank her for not having to answer questions about how terrible his defense is.

Some of the stuff she put in the article tells me she had an inside source in the pokes locker room. He's probably more ****ed about that than he is anything else.

birddog
9/22/2007, 09:55 PM
we've got ourself a new lester.

thank you gumby. please do enough to keep your job.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:57 PM
Well you have to start with reading Jenni's articles every day, they generally suck and she deserves to be berated...she has pulled a lot over the last 3-4 years under the cover of journalistic privilege...she needs to mature, trust me...

Ash
9/22/2007, 09:57 PM
He was ****ed and he did not try to be politically correct...I appauld him for his support of his players...I bet it means a lot to them...

Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

He was ****ed and instead of acting like a leader and a man, he acted like an emotional little child. I lost respect for him.

You just barely pulled out a win after a disappointing start to the season. Talk about how your team is improving or whatever, and who gives a **** about what some hack wrote.

birddog
9/22/2007, 09:58 PM
you don't have to make an arse out of yourself to support your players.

i'd be embarrassed.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 09:58 PM
Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

He was ****ed and instead of acting like a leader and a man, he acted like an emotional little child. I lost respect for him.

You just barely pulled out a win after a disappointing start to the season. Talk about how your team is improving or whatever, and who gives a **** about what some hack wrote.

He was team building and ...in a great way...

Ash
9/22/2007, 09:59 PM
Hev was team building and ...in a great way...

LOL:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:00 PM
He was throwing a tantrum like a child with a loaded diaper.

OUHOMER
9/22/2007, 10:00 PM
Hev was team building and ...in a great way...
I think he said something to somebody,let the cat out of the bag and now hes covering his ***

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 10:01 PM
He was standing up for his guys in a BIG WAY...

Mixer!
9/22/2007, 10:01 PM
I think gundy is just wanting to be like lester.
He should wear one of his son's ballcaps to the game next week then. :D

Rhino
9/22/2007, 10:02 PM
I think some of you guys are wearing crimson-colored glasses.

Should he have handled it differently? Probably. But damn sure he got his point across.

I have no problem with her writing this column over a professional athlete or a kid that has gotten into legal trouble. But to rip a kid because he "was fed by his mother" or because he laughed at the end of a blowout loss (who knows what context that was in) or because she's heard rumors that he isn't tough is ridiculous.

Read the article (http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190474803) if you haven't already and you'll understand why Gundy was upset. We've all known she's an awful writer for awhile now, but this takes the cake. It's all based on hearsay and mental snapshots from a parking lot. It's irresponsible. It's completely uncalled for. And it deserves to be called out.

The way Gundy defended Reid makes me have tons more respect for him. Good on him.

Cam
I think he said something to somebody,let the cat out of the bag and now hes covering his ***
He or somebody else on his staff did.

sanantoniosooner
He was standing up for his guys like a BIG BABY...
exactly

SteelClip49
9/22/2007, 10:03 PM
If Stoops was in Gundy's position and someone from the Joklahoman wrote a story that was attacking one of his players, would you consider Stoops immature?

Kudos to Gundy!!!

OKC-SLC
9/22/2007, 10:04 PM
Grand.

Stand.

Ing.

Ash

Should he have handled it differently? Probably. But damn sure he got his point across.

I have no problem with her writing this column over a professional athlete or a kid that has gotten into legal trouble. But to rip a kid because he "was fed by his mother" or because he laughed at the end of a blowout loss (who knows what context that was in) or because you've heard rumors that he isn't tough is ridiculous.

Read the article (http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190474803) if you haven't already and you'll understand why Gundy was upset. We've all known she's an awful writer for awhile now, but this takes the cake. It's all based on hearsay and snapshots from a parking lot. It's irresponsible. It's completely uncalled for.

Honestly, the way Gundy defended Reid makes me have tons more respect for him. Good on him.

The article is POS, but I couldn't disagree more. He reacted like a hysterical mother not a leader of men. I lost respect for him.

This ranks up there in terms of coaching meltdowns.

Soonerus
exactly

SAS, as you know I respect your opinion but I think being in San Antonio you are just a little out of touch on the local aspect of this situation...

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:05 PM
If Stoops was in Gundy's position and someone from the Joklahoman wrote a story that was attacking one of his players, would you consider Stoops immature?

Kudos to Gundy!!!
Just for being in Gundy's position? No.

For acting like a baby? Yeah. I might not post about it. But I'd think it.

aurorasooner
9/22/2007, 10:06 PM
For some reason I can't get that KOCO video to load. It just sits there. Is there a bigger pic of this that someone can get a screen shot of, and post? thx. http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/58/screenshot013uy7.jpg

Soonerus

Kudos to Gundy!!!

Stoops has never gone to this extreme but he has stood up for his guys from improper persecution from the press..

Skysooner
Should he have handled it differently? Probably.

Not probaby. He definitely should have handled this differently. His was the staff playing games with who was going to be the starter. The article is at least as much his fault as Jenni's.

sanantoniosooner
SAS, as you know I respect your opinion but I think being in San Antonio you are just a little out of touch on the local aspect of this situation...
I know a tantrum when I see one.

It's one of those "universal" things.

Ash
9/22/2007, 10:07 PM

Kudos to Gundy!!!

It would be out of character for Stoops, IMHO. I'd be very surprised and probably a little embarassed for him. That's shows you've lost control and gone all emotional over something some hack wrote in the paper. If Gundy's going to do that every time somebody writes a crappy article, he's going to have a nervous breakdown.

TopDaugIn2000
oh now THAT was funny. not QUITE as good as Lester's outrage a few years ago, but comedy gold for sure.

Flying Scotsman
I thought Gumby said he didn't have time to read papers, internet, watch TV, etc...Thoght he went to work when it was dark and came home when it was dark....

Cam
9/22/2007, 10:08 PM
I read the article. I seriously think she got some inside info and that's what really ****es off Gundy. Regarding the laughing on the sidelines, I thought "what a punk" when I first saw it. Could there have been something funny said, sure. Doesn't really matter cause perception is reality in the real world. When you're on the big stage, you either deal with it, or it eats you up. Like it or not, it looked bad. I've been on the **** end of an *** kicking before. Never did I feel like laughing or smiling while it was happening.

Is Carlson a hack? Yep. Did Gundy handle this correctly? Not even close.

birddog
9/22/2007, 10:08 PM
i don't mind him supporting his players but it seems like he could have used a bit more tact.

i think it's funny that he read that paper in the crapper this morning and decided to bring it with him to the conference as a prop.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 10:09 PM
Ok we are all now merged, Gundy was right for what he did...

Judge Smails
9/22/2007, 10:10 PM
Gundy says repeatedly that Reid "did everything right".

Then why did he bench him? :confused:

I wonder how much of that article came from the coaching staff and fellow teammates?

FirstandGoal
I don't have a problem with Gundy defending his kids. I don't have a problem with him calling out a poor journalist on an article she wrote that may or may not be accurate. However, there is a time and place for things, and IMO this was not the time for him to lose it and come completely unhinged. I imagine it would have been nice for Aggie fans to get to see their coach celebrate his win and be able to have a press conference talking about positive, rather than negative things. I also have a huge problem with Gundy wishing something bad to happen to a child just because they happen to be the child of someone he disrespects. Like another poster above me, he [Gundy] lost any inkling of sympathy by that comment.

CtheB
I don't know if it was the right time, place or tone, but I do know that I agree with a lot of what Gundy said. Got some spek points from me today.

sanantoniosooner
It's kind of ironic to display a paper, refer to an article and state that "this is the reason" you don't read the paper.

Mixer!
9/22/2007, 10:11 PM

Kudos to Gundy!!!
I don't believe Coach Stoops would respond in the manner that Gundy did.

Also keep in mind that the media just spent the past week ripping Gundy for showing a lack of emotion in the Troy game, so you could just as easily chalk it up to predictable over-reaction in the other direction. :pop:

Ash
9/22/2007, 10:13 PM
It's kind of ironic to display a paper, refer to an article and state that "this is the reason" you don't read the paper.

A typically aggy move.

soonerhubs
9/22/2007, 10:14 PM
This is why I don't read your posts! ;)

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 10:33 PM
This is where our role as observers strikes me as funny. We may say, correctly, that a response like this from Stoops (or your favorite coach) would be out of character; however, we would be much more likely to see it as righteous indignation as opposed to a tantrum if it were not Gundy. I'm with Rhino on the fact that many responders are simply unable to take off the crimson blinders.

I can't say that this has made me respect him more because I've never NOT respected him for the sole reason of wearing orange on Saturdays. Would I have handled it differently? Probably. Was it a little over the edge for my taste? Yeah. But, then again, I'm not a D1A coach. He probably knows better about what his reaction will do for his team and his job. This may be just what his locker room needed to be more successful and gel as a team. If so, I say kudos to Gundy.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 10:34 PM
In a foxhole you act different than normal...

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:39 PM
In a foxhole you act different than normal...
He was at a press conference.

Not in a foxhole.

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 10:42 PM
He was at a press conference.

Not in a foxhole.
I'm pretty sure it was a metaphor.

soonerhubs
9/22/2007, 10:44 PM
No offense to Gumby, but the last time I heard a melt down like that was from a man named Dennis Green. Look what that got him, eh?

Ash
9/22/2007, 10:45 PM
Gundy reminded me of the "Leave britney alone!" guy.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 10:46 PM
OK, Gundy is not my charge, you know my thoughts I'm done with him....

hink4769
9/22/2007, 10:48 PM
its one thing to defend your players, its another to embarass yourself and your program which is what he ended up doing. he should have taken a bill parcells/bob knight type approach and acted arrogant and condescending towards her and demean her knowledge of the game and the situation rather than act like a crybaby. leave it to the pokes to win a game and still come out looking bad.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Leave Reid ALONE.........He's HUMAN

So what if his mom feeds him chicken? HE'S GOT FEELINGS!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/22/2007, 10:50 PM
This is not the column I wanted. This is not the column I planned. . .today.

SoonerDood
9/22/2007, 10:50 PM
LEAVE AGGIES ALONE!!!

Judge Smails
9/22/2007, 10:51 PM
I read that column early this morning.

The chicken reference I really couldn't imagine. Was she just holding it for him, or was she holding it and making airplane noises so he would open his mouth? Either way, there were plenty of witnesses so it is easily verified.

I just reread the entire column. I fail to see any real problem with it aside from the chicken thing.

Since Gundy says 3/4 of it is plain wrong, I imagine JC's going to say that all of it came from the OSU coaching staff or his teammates. What is Gundy going to do then? Fire the entire staff? Bench the whole team? This thing could escalate in a direction that Gundy will not want to go.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:54 PM
Gundy is just mad because the article had some big words and T Boone had to provide an interpreter.

Stitch Face
9/22/2007, 10:56 PM
For an adult to act like that in public means you're either unstable or putting on a show. That kind of behavior in almost any workplace would get you fired. Gundy is lucky to be 40 and making whatever a coach makes acting like that.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 10:56 PM
I think Gundy was inferring she is a lesbian with no kids...maybe I am wrong but I think that was the inference...

Ash
9/22/2007, 10:57 PM
Actually, he was the one hand feeding Reid, and the "mother" reference was Jenni taking a shot at him. Can you blame the guy for losing it?

At least she didn't include the baby talk and busy bee noises he was making.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 10:59 PM
OSU has the best "Chicken Choo Choo" in the universe.

aurorasooner
9/22/2007, 10:59 PM
I'm afraid this thing could escalate in a direction that Gundy will not want to go.Agree. I couldn't get the video to load but just listened to the MP3 from the DOs website, which the DO labels "Mike Gundy's post game tirade". I read the column earlier and didn't see much of a problem with it (just normal JC), certainly not enough to completely go ballistic in your post game. It will be interesting to see if the DO stands behind her (JC), the editor (who Gumby also called out), as well as the story.
From the Sporting News
Mike Sherman, The Oklahoman's sports editor, said the newspaper stands behind the columnist and the content of the column.

"If Oklahoma State has any specific problems with it, I'd be happy to address it and to hear it, just like any other story," Sherman said.

OUstud
9/22/2007, 11:00 PM
Any inkling of validity his point might have had was lost when he said he hoped the author (JC) of the article had a kid get made fun of.

"I hope you have sons. Beautiful, handsome boys. Articulate, educated, and athletic. And I hope they have their legs taken from them, so you can know what this pain is like!" -Ricky Bobby

Doged
9/22/2007, 11:03 PM
"I hope someone makes fun of your kid..."? Are you freakin' kidding me? I can't believe some of you are applauding Gundy for this episode.

The article's not the issue. Yea, it was a stupid article. Most of Jenni's articles are stupid. Gundy taking up for his player isn't the issue, either.

The issue is a div 1 head coach acting like a little league parent, and doing it at a post-game press conference. It was unprofessional and immature. Gundy should apologize to Carlson, regardless of her poor journalism abilities.

CtheB
9/22/2007, 11:05 PM
Think Jenni might write us a column on how her a$$ felt while Gundy was blowing her doors off? I mean, seriously, since she wrote that one column from the perspective of Tony Lindsey's knee, it's all been downhill. This article could serve to restart her career, you know, the one that died when she took the job at the Joke(lahoman).

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 11:06 PM
No kidding?

So instead of it being literally stupid......it's metaphorically lame?
That's crafty and so cute! The point is that sports figures take shots every day in press conferences and the media. This "foxhole" is part of his job and we truly have no clue of what it feels like being in that fish bowl. We say he embarrased himself and his team/school/whatever when we really have no clue because we're fans of another team.

I've got several friends at work who went to OSU and are loyal fans of the team. On Monday, I'll ask as many of them as I can if they feel embarrassed and I'll wager that the vast majority of them do not.

sooneron
9/22/2007, 11:06 PM
The issue is a div 1 head coach acting like a little league parent, and doing it at a post-game press conference. It was unprofessional and immature. Gundy should apologize to Carlson, regardless of her poor journalism abilities.
I agree with half of this. NO ONE should have to apologize to a "writer" from the Jokelahoman.

Stoops would not have gone on that long, ever.

And I seriously doubt that Carlson has much or any corroboration for the article. She's mucho sloppy.

sooneron
9/22/2007, 11:10 PM
That's crafty and so cute! The point is that sports figures take shots every day in press conferences and the media. This "foxhole" is part of his job and we truly have no clue of what it feels like being in that fish bowl. We say he embarrased himself and his team/school/whatever when we really have no clue because we're fans of another team.

I've got several friends at work who went to OSU and are loyal fans of the team. On Monday, I'll ask as many of them as I can if they feel embarrassed and I'll wager that the vast majority of them do not.
Uh, first of all, they are prolly not easily embarrassed, seeing as how they're poke fans.
They'll be lauding this tantrum as something historic or Rockne-esque.

msteudem
I seen the video a while ago on News 9. It was funnier than the Final of Last Comic Standing. If you tune to ABC right now they are about to show the vid.

Soonerus
It is possible she was the dog to kick...

SoonerPriv
9/22/2007, 11:12 PM
come after me, im a man i'm 40.. l0l..

sanantoniosooner

You do realize how many D-1 coaches do weekly press conferences and don't react to negative press like he did?

And that would be totally shocking for OSU fans to support their coach in attacking someone who said something bad about them. Seriously, report back how your aggy friends feel about Gundy and his foxhole.

Stitch Face

Whom you root for has nothing to do with recognizing when an adult acts unprofessionally in public. If Bob Stoops did the same it would make me sick.

Team affiliation or alma mater does not justify acting like a deranged dickhead at your place of business. If the ags support him in this then they are just as childish, just like we would be if Stoops did the same and we pretended it showed character or loyalty or whatever.

And for the record, anyone making the foxhole = press conference analogy is a tool. Someone on here with an iota of military service and administrative authority should shoe-whip said tools. Good day.

sooner518
9/22/2007, 11:13 PM
guys, this article was brought to his attention by a mother....of a child!

Seriously I dont see what the big deal is with the article. I know Jenni Carlson is crappy, but would she just completely make things like that up? I have a hard time believing an editor would let that kind of thing fly if she had absolutely no sources

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 11:14 PM
Her article was out of the fairway...

Ash
9/22/2007, 11:15 PM
Jenni's an easy target, though, because she's the most unpopular sports writer in the state, even among other media members, and she writes controversial (and often crappy) articles.

orangekaje
9/22/2007, 11:23 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think OSU coach Mike Gundy reacted appropriately to Jenni Carlson's column about Bobby Reid?

Choice-Votes--- Percentage

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%

FaninAma
9/22/2007, 11:24 PM

I have no problem with her writing this column over a professional athlete or a kid that has gotten into legal trouble. But to rip a kid because he "was fed by his mother" or because he laughed at the end of a blowout loss (who knows what context that was in) or because she's heard rumors that he isn't tough is ridiculous.

Read the article (http://newsok.com/article/3131543/1190474803) if you haven't already and you'll understand why Gundy was upset. We've all known she's an awful writer for awhile now, but this takes the cake. It's all based on hearsay and mental snapshots from a parking lot. It's irresponsible. It's completely uncalled for. And it deserves to be called out.

The way Gundy defended Reid makes me have tons more respect for him. Good on him.

You are dead wrong on this issue. The story is coming from inside the OSU program. I heard the same things on both WWLS and KREF earlier in the week.

Gundy's just using the story to distract attention away from the horrendous job his staff has done this year and the fact that somebody inside the OSU program is trashing Reid.

And why is it a non-story that OSU's biggest recruit in years is riding the pines when his replacement looked like crap v. troy St?

sooneron
9/22/2007, 11:27 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think OSU coach Mike Gundy reacted appropriately to Jenni Carlson's column about Bobby Reid?

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%
Well there's a shock.

Stitch Face
9/22/2007, 11:27 PM
I think it's sad we now live in a society where an employee of a public university can go bat-**** ****-ing crazy (or at least pretend to) in front of TV cameras after a sporting event and local yokels will rally around him saying 'that's cool...way to stick up fer yer team!'

sooneron
9/22/2007, 11:28 PM
I think it's sad we now live in a society where an employee of a public university can go bat-**** ****-ing crazy (or at least pretend to) in front of TV cameras after a sporting event and the slack jawed yokels will rally around him saying 'that's cool...way to stick up fer yer team!'
fixed

cvsooner
9/22/2007, 11:31 PM
"Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?"

I wonder if he realizes the irony in those questions?

Several things come to mind. One, you play big time college football, people will write and say things about you (heck, we do it on this board) that are not going to be positive, all the time.

Two, big deal.

Three, good thing OSU won the game, and note nobody in the media bothered to call him on it.

Four, who were the yayhoos who were applauding at the end?

Five, your mother brought it to the coach's attention? What does that say about the point of the story, in the first place?

Much ado about nothing, Gundy.

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 11:32 PM
You do realize how many D-1 coaches do weekly press conferences and don't react to negative press like he did?

And that would be totally shocking for OSU fans to support their coach in attacking someone who said something bad about them. Seriously, report back how your aggy friends feel about Gundy and his foxhole.
No...I thought all press conferences went like that.

Seriously, this thread is getting silly. Like I said, it's not how I would have handled the issue, I believe there are better ways to go about it, and I believe it would be out of character for Stoops to respond in the same way. However, if I had any emotional stock in the issue, I would most likely be siding with Gundy because I can honestly say that my initial tendency, as a Sooner, would be to side with Stoops if the exact script was played but the actors were Sooners. I'm just being honest.

Quick question: What avenue, other than a press conference or through the very media attending the press conference, does a sports figure have at their disposal to tell their side of the story?

Gundy may have very well been exposed and been covering his butt. I don't know because I clearly don't spend my time following Cowboy football. However, I'm all for the media getting called to the mat, and based on the article and press conference alone, that looks to be what happened.

aurorasooner
9/22/2007, 11:34 PM
es --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%
Well there's a shock. Really.
I think it's sad we now live in a society where an employee of a public university can go bat-**** ****-ing crazy (or at least pretend to) in front of TV cameras after a sporting event and local yokels will rally around him saying 'that's cool...way to stick up fer yer team!' You look at these 2 post games from the 2 coaches and quite honestly it makes Gundy look like the child, IMHO.
Tech coach Mike Leach, usually one to crack jokes with his dry sense of humor, wasn't laughing after his team blew several opportunities to win for a 4-0 start.

Leach was upset over his offense scoring only 10 points in the second half – after posting 35 in the first half – and his defense for allowing 610 total yards (366 rushing).

Leach blasted his team, coaching staff and himself for about 10 minutes.

"This is going to hurt some feelings," Leach said, "but the long story short is I'm not doing as good a job shepherding this as I could. But what we had in this game is an offense that was extremely powerful, extremely productive that probably sits and reads their press clippings, and in arrogant fashion, set around the sidelines with their arms folded for most of the second half.

"Defensively, the entire first half, we got hit in the mouth and acted like someone took our lunch money, and all we wanted to do is have pouty expressions on our face until somebody dobbed our little tears off and made us [expletive] feel better. Then we go out there and try harder once our mommies told us we were OK. Neither one of those things is acceptable."

Leach said Tech has a bunch of "front-runners" on offense and said his defense lacked toughness. He then explained how he plans to fix the problems.

"We start by addressing it and call it what it is. I think perhaps I've candy-coated some of this a little too much in the past," Leach said. "Second of all, as coaches, you put pressure on yourself to improve because ultimately the blame lies there.

"The third thing that you do is anybody who is not on board, you get rid of them. It doesn't matter if it's a player or a coach or somebody in the background or some support staff. If they're not on board, you get rid of them. It's all very simple."

FaninAma
9/22/2007, 11:36 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%

Man, who would have thought the Pokes had 1354 fans let alone 1354 fans who could answer an internet survey.

It's going to be hilarious when the source is identified as a coach, player or a combination of both.

Like I said, Carlson isn't that good of an investigative reporter but the story has been out there for days on other media sources. Carlson is a day late and a dollar short in her reporting like she always is.

jdsooner
9/22/2007, 11:37 PM
You've got to have a lot of respect for a guy who verbally attacks a woman in a public meeting. That sure took a lot of guts!;)

Ash
9/22/2007, 11:39 PM
Quick question: What avenue, other than a press conference or through the very media attending the press conference, does a sports figure have at their disposal to tell their side of the story?

An interview. And don't think a reporter, especially from another media source wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to have a one-on-one interview where Gundy goes after Carlson and addresses his QB controversy.

cvsooner
9/22/2007, 11:43 PM
Particularly in a press conference where you make a speech and then storm out without taking any questions. Mikey...you've got some 'splainin' to do...

daMentor
9/22/2007, 11:44 PM
She writes for the Oklahoman.. What do you expect? Here's some news the Oklahoman is the worst paper in America! She could have been much more tactful in downing him. Saying stuff like he's being fed by his mother in public?? WTF is that??

As far as Gundy's reaction, I don't disagree with what he was saying, but he also could have been much more tactful in his delivery.

Let's ask ourselves WWBD? What would Bob do? He wouldn't have even addressed it. Why? Because he would think such an idiotic article doesn't even deserve a read or response. He has a hard enough time just responding to their stupid questions in press conferences.

Sooner1979
9/22/2007, 11:47 PM
When I read her article, it reminded me why I do not read her articles, and just as I do not read threads like this it reminds why I do not read threads like this. And for some reason I couldnt remember why I use to respond when I gave up responding to threads like this...

I am thoroughly confused now.......

TopDawg
9/22/2007, 11:48 PM
Let me sum this all up with a few things we should all be able to agree on:

Carlson is a sub-par sports writer.
Gundy is a sub-par coach.

It's good for a coach to stick up for his players.
It's bad for a coach to act like a whiny baby.

OSU sucks.

SleestakSooner
9/22/2007, 11:51 PM
The sad part of all this is the publicity it is giving JC and that rag she writes for.

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 11:53 PM
Whom you root for has nothing to do with recognizing when an adult acts unprofessionally in public. If Bob Stoops did the same it would make me sick.

Team affiliation or alma mater does not justify acting like a deranged dickhead at your place of business. If the ags support him in this then they are just as childish, just like we would be if Stoops did the same and we pretended it showed character or loyalty or whatever.

And for the record, anyone making the foxhole = press conference analogy is a tool. Someone on here with an iota of military service and administrative authority should shoe-whip said tools. Good day.
I agree completely with your first statement. I've never stated that he acted professionally. However, I'm not really sure what "professional" means when we're talking about a job in which most people can be found stomping, kicking, screaming, yelling, and throwing things at the primary public-facing place of their profession. Acting professionally doesn't mean you can never show indignation at something you believe in.

It's easy to say you would be sick if Stoops did the same, but it's another to actually act in reality what we believe hypothetically. I'll just have to believe that you would and say that your response would be warranted.

As for the foxhole reference, it's simply a use of language. Anyone who believes that surviving a press conference, in any way, is the same as surviving a foxhole is a tool. On the other hand, anyone who can understand the use of a metaphor to caricature dealing with the media on a daily basis gets the reference whether they served in the military or not. I'll ask my brother who recently returned from Afghanistan and get back to you on whether or not he feels the need to shoe-whip anyone over the metaphor.

birddog
9/22/2007, 11:56 PM
i don't know how to do the fancy blue box,

from orange power...

"Now we are ready for war.

You called down the thunder Jenni, now you got it.

Don't poke the bear in the cage.

The rest of you bastards in the Big 12 better pack a lunch, Gundy and company are coming and are ****ed.

GO POKES!!!"

kruss1971
9/22/2007, 11:57 PM
An interview. And don't think a reporter, especially from another media source wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to have a one-on-one interview where Gundy goes after Carlson and addresses his QB controversy.
That was the "and the very media" part.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 11:58 PM
yeah.......get back to us on what aggys think and what your brother thinks.

Because that's the tipping point for me........

bmrsnou
9/22/2007, 11:59 PM
Grow some thick skin, Gumby. As the immortal Dan Hawkins said "It's division I football, brotha!" This is a business whether we like it or not. He needs to realize this. In this state, we don't have a pro team, and college football is king. (granted OU is the king and osu is the peon)

If he can't handle an article written by an idiotic sportswriter that the DO has let hang around wayyyyyy too long, then he doesn't need to be in his profession. Imagine what will happen when Berry Trammel tells him he wouldn't be qualified to manage a Taco Bell.

Ash
9/23/2007, 12:00 AM
That was the "and the very media" part.

Actually you said "and the very media attending the press conference."

Interviews can happen at other times/places than the post game presser.

kruss1971
9/23/2007, 12:03 AM
yeah.......get back to us on what aggys think and what your brother thinks.

Because that's the tipping point for me........
Hmmm, pretty sure that I was addressing one person with regards to my brother...so I'm not really sure what you have to do with that specific post. But, again, your wit is very cute! Don't you have some more posting to do on other threads? I'm not sure you post enough useless banter judging by your post count.

kruss1971
9/23/2007, 12:04 AM
Actually you said "and the very media attending the press conference."

Interviews can happen at other times/places than the post game presser.
Right...the very media that he would use to get his story out is the very media that was, most likely, at the press conference. I'm not implying that he can only get his word out AT the press conference. Brilliant!

sanantoniosooner
9/23/2007, 12:07 AM
Hmmm, pretty sure that I was addressing one person with regards to my brother...so I'm really sure what you have to do with that specific post. But, again, your wit is very cute! Don't you have some more posting to do on other threads? I'm not sure you post enough useless banter judging by your post count.
Speaking of useless banter........did you hear about that coach that blew up in the foxhole?

Metaphors be with him.

kruss1971
9/23/2007, 12:10 AM
That's hilarious! I just noticed that someone/some people were ANONYMOUSLY negging me on previous threads for my posts in this thread! What a laugh!

Octavian
9/23/2007, 12:11 AM
I like it.

The media gets called out...and that's always a good thing. Good for him.

And Gundy looks crazy...and that's always a good thing. Should give the board some new running joke material.

crimson&cream
9/23/2007, 12:13 AM
I'm all for Gundy sticking up for one of his players when the article was weak on facts, but his handling behavior with his soapbox ranting , and ranting, and ranting was as embarrassing as the aricle itself.
Could you picture Caoch Stoops handling a simular siutation in like fashion. NO, and I would surely hope not.

Petro-Sooner
9/23/2007, 12:14 AM
I'm just saying dont buy into the "crap" the media ie... publications "inside source" put out there.

Ash
9/23/2007, 12:15 AM
Right...the very media that he would use to get his story out is the very media that was, most likely, at the press conference. I'm not implying that he can only get his word out AT the press conference. Brilliant!

Thanks, I appreciate that you recognize my brilliance.

You see, Gundy could have used the presser to talk about his team's win. He then could have taken his Midol, drank his chamomile and taken his bubble bath and relaxed a bit -- thinking about his retort to Carlson's column. Then he calls up one of the 'very media' and destroys her story and props up his players in a way that makes him and his program look good and her look bad. Instead, he goes meltdown in front of cameras. Mission, failed.

birddog
9/23/2007, 12:16 AM
showing the newspaper was the capper.

actually, dropping the middle section was the capper.

crimson&cream
9/23/2007, 12:16 AM
Well there's a shock.
Those are probably mainly Aggies voting yes,as I thought his ranting, and ranting about a terrible article was as embarrassing as the article.

tommieharris91
9/23/2007, 12:27 AM
The only time Stoops has had a press conference even close to what pretty boy hair gel did today was when he realized what happened @Oregon. Stoops was justified in throwing a hissy fit, because that was arguably the worst call in college football history, and definitely robbed him of a win. This Gundy response to the media was about as chicken**** as the article Carlson wrote. That article was pathetically written, very dumbed down, broken in its points and overall tough to follow. Just from reading that article, I feel like important facts were left out.

That article by Carlson was not a professionally written article, and did not deserve the tirade it recieved by Mike Gundy. Gundy should have just shrugged it off and enjoyed the great victory his team had just earned. His tirade now makes that team laughing stock of the nation and brings (more) bad publicity to his team. I would hope Bob Stoops doesn't ever explode in front of the media like Gundy did today, especially over a **** poor newspaper article after an amazing, hard-fought win like that OSU-TTech game was.

mrjeffmaxwell
9/23/2007, 12:31 AM
Well, he put that bitch in her place. I like Gundy more no. Give me bad rep points, I could care less. Jenni is a double chinned bitch and Gundy sticks up for his players in public, showing that he could care less what you say about him, he's gonna stick up for his players even if some people think it's unprofessional.

thatmediadude
9/23/2007, 12:35 AM
I had the opportunity of being in the room when he went off...and yes, he was staring her down the whole time..and for the people who applauded him obviously didn't think before they clapped. Not the time to clap..IMHO

crimson&cream
9/23/2007, 12:43 AM
Well, he put that bitch in her place. I like Gundy more no. Give me bad rep points, I could care less. Jenni is a double chinned bitch and Gundy sticks up for his players in public, showing that he could care less what you say about him, he's gonna stick up for his players even if some people think it's unprofessional.
Yep, but the way he handled it was as embarrssing as the poor p!ss a$$ article he kept ranting about. I suppose you could picture Stoops doing that ?, I can't even if justified.
Plus, Gundy diverted attention away from his teams hard fought hang on win. All he did with his behavior was put himself on her level.

jdsooner
9/23/2007, 12:45 AM
I'd like to see Jenni whip his butt. I think she could take him.

FaninAma
9/23/2007, 12:45 AM

So why didn't he call out the rest of the media who were saying some of the very same things earlier in the week instead of acting like a freaking teenage drama queen in a post game interview?

Gundy is a gigantic d(ouch)e and I'm ecstatic that the pokes have this moron as their head coach.

Petro-Sooner
9/23/2007, 12:46 AM
I had the opportunity of being in the room when he went off...and yes, he was staring her down the whole time..and for the people who applauded him obviously didn't think before they clapped. Not the time to clap..IMHO

Boy do I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

aurorasooner
9/23/2007, 12:47 AM
Oh. Gawd. I just saw the video as it's now been posted on YouTube. 1st thing I equated Gundy's post-game rant to was that scene out of Rodney Dangerfield's movie "Back To School" where Sam Kinison is Professor Turgeson. Gundy even sounds like him. :D :D
Professor Terguson: You remember that thing we had about 30 years ago called the Korean conflict? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn't cross the 38th parallel and push those rice-eaters back to the Great Wall of China?
Professor Terguson: [rips a desk apart] Then take the *&^%ing wall apart
[shouts]
Professor Terguson: brick by brick and nuke them back into the &^%$ing stone age forever? Tell me why! How come? Say it! Say it!
Thornton Melon: [incensed] All right. I'll say it. 'Cause Truman was too much of a **&^^$ wimp* to let MacArthur go in there
[shouts]
Thornton Melon: and blow out those Commie *&^tards!
Professor Terguson: Good answer. Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you.
Thornton Melon: [chuckling to his classmates] Good teacher. He really seems to care. About what I have no idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfi4s8cjLFI Makes me wonder if this isn't the 1st shot in the backlash from the press. http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7307/screenshot014bl5.jpg

FaninAma
9/23/2007, 12:48 AM

Who were the clappers? Can you give any names?

Pigface1
9/23/2007, 12:49 AM
Every week or three Jenny Carlson goes on a Krispy Kreme binger and takes a dump on a sheet of paper. Then she miraculously sobers up, decides not to change those "writings," and turns them in.

Then the Oklahoma thins her pic out, doesn't change the article, and prints it.

They must be running the train on her for free chicken wings. No other excuse, she's a worthless writer. And I can't stand Ok St, but you can't blame Gumby a bit.

Why TF do they per her? When was the last time she wrote an article even remotely worth anything? Say what you will about Traber, but at least he calls her out for what she is.

Doged
9/23/2007, 12:49 AM
i don't know how to do the fancy blue box,

from orange power...

"Now we are ready for war.

You called down the thunder Jenni, now you got it.

Don't poke the bear in the cage.

The rest of you bastards in the Big 12 better pack a lunch, Gundy and company are coming and are ****ed.

GO POKES!!!"

That whole thread is a pretty funny read. Those guys should have their picture next to the definition of "irony" in the dictionary.

For those who don't want to bother, I'll paraphrase:

"Gundy did the right thing in taking up for his player. It's not right to berate someone needlessly and call them names and that fat slut dyke ho illiterate toothless gooner-loving biotch should know that."

Oh, they've also decided the outburst will be great for recruiting because it'll make every parent in America want their kid to play for Gundy. :rolleyes:

Not much being said about their track meet with TTech.

Soonerborn03
9/23/2007, 12:51 AM
There's nothing professional about calling someone out without a chance for that person to reply. If Carlson said anything back in defense of her article, she would most likely be fired for being unprofessional. Gundy's there to answer questions, not go and rip the media.

If you ask me, if you accept a scholarship to play sports at a college, you are no longer "just a kid". You are performing in the public spotlight, and that makes you open for criticism. If the kid can't stand being the center of attention, take a scholarship from a smaller school. If I were Reid, I would be glad that my coach stood up for me, but I'd be damn embarrassed that he made such a big scene out of it and draw more attention to the article than there ever would have been in the first place.

Pigface1
9/23/2007, 12:52 AM
The sad part of all this is the publicity it is giving JC and that rag she writes for.

I agree and it sucks. It's what she wants and she actually gets paid. She must really be good. Like, Monica good. :texan:

DarrellZero
9/23/2007, 12:53 AM
There's a few layers to this, so let me see what I can do with it:

1) Jenni sucks as a writer. If she wasn't a woman, she wouldn't get within 1000 miles of writing sports for a major newspaper.

2) You don't do what Gumby did there. He came off as a bully. If you've got a beef with someone in the media, deal with it in private.

3) Last time I checked, Bobby Reid was an adult and a public figure. Bobby, next time deal with your own problems, instead of letting your mommy do it.

No good guys in this situation, as best I can tell.

tommieharris91
9/23/2007, 01:02 AM
I like the 21-year-old kid reference. Pretty much anyone that can buy a drink legally ain't a kid.

I don't think he realized that his tirade put a dimmed what was a pretty big win for them. He should have waited until his mid-week presser to address this.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/23/2007, 01:03 AM
To be fair, if I was in Stoolwater...I would be cranky too

cofCtuba
9/23/2007, 01:03 AM
He says "inaccurate" funny--"inakerut"

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/23/2007, 01:43 AM
After watching it, I don't really see anything wrong with it. He is defending one of his kids. I think sometimes we forget these kids are for the most part not going to be professional athletes. I have never heard anything bad about Bobby Reid the person. It kind of irks me when people take shots at these guys like Nate Hybl, Eric Bassey, and the D.J. Wolfe's of college football. These are people that have stayed out of trouble and have to the best of my knowledge gone out and ALWAYS tried their hardest. Are these guys the best players ever...no and hell no but they went to class and never embarrassed the University they attended and their has to be something said to them for not being gang bangers, coke dealers, using drugs, take money they didn't earn, or any of the other heinous things we sometimes see from some of the more immature 20 21 year olds at our schools.

tulsaoilerfan
9/23/2007, 02:01 AM

I thought the article was in poor taste, and i don't have a problem with Gundy doing what he did, even though it is more fodder for us to laugh at him and the Pokes

Tulsa_Fireman
9/23/2007, 02:08 AM
Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig.

Yeah, speak from experience, fatty. I'm sure you remember the pain of playing linebacker for Fat Lesbian Welding School of the Blind.

Gundy went WAAAAAAAY overboard. But by God, I appreciate the intent. Yes, he could've been a hundred times smoother with it, and he let his emotions get the better of him. Either that, or he's playing the fanbase in Stoolwater like a fiddle at a hoedown.

But at least be honest about it. If it was my darling daughter, collegiate athlete or not, I'd be explosively ****ed. And if this isn't some media stunt to get the fanbase riled up for a subpar team, then give 'em hell, Mike. Tone it down a few notches, but by God, give 'em hell.

Collier11
9/23/2007, 02:18 AM
There's nothing professional about calling someone out without a chance for that person to reply. If Carlson said anything back in defense of her article, she would most likely be fired for being unprofessional. Gundy's there to answer questions, not go and rip the media.

If you ask me, if you accept a scholarship to play sports at a college, you are no longer "just a kid". You are performing in the public spotlight, and that makes you open for criticism. If the kid can't stand being the center of attention, take a scholarship from a smaller school. If I were Reid, I would be glad that my coach stood up for me, but I'd be damn embarrassed that he made such a big scene out of it and draw more attention to the article than there ever would have been in the first place.

All of you guys say what you will about Gunday and Osu, I will say this though, I appreciate what he did and Carlson is a coward. Making some bs reference to BR and how his mom was feeding him chicken and how that relates to him being a titty baby, that is a flat out personal attack and I hope her *** gets fired for it! Go Gundy, screw the writer who hasnt played a down of competitive sports in her life!!

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2007, 02:26 AM
I don't care who was right...Gumby's wrong just because he's Gumby!

jdsooner
9/23/2007, 02:57 AM
First, let me say that I do not think Jenni Carlson is a good writer and that it was a weird article. That said, if Reid's mom actually hand fed him chicken, that is more strange than the article.

Second, to spend an entire news conference after a big win attacking a female sports writer is insane! Gunday acted like a foolish child. The man is an *** who has no class.

olevetonahill
9/23/2007, 04:17 AM
Those of you that Know me . Have heard what I was doing On my 19th B-day .(hnt My Momma wasnt within 10,000 miles)
I try to reread this and watch the Vid again . But I dont think my O will change .
Gumby sounded like he was defending the lil fat retard against the Recess yard bully . :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
9/23/2007, 04:43 AM
Gumby is an asshat, Carlson is an asshat. Give them baseball bats to beat each other with. The winner can club Rhode.

King Crimson
9/23/2007, 05:16 AM
i played junior high and high school sports against both Gundy's. and they were both *******s at Midwest City. people change, and mature.

i think Jenni Carlson is a terrible writer, but i think Mike's anger is misplaced.

mhackl
9/23/2007, 05:30 AM
I enjoyed his going Dennis Green on the press. I give the pomade porcupine props for standing up for one of his players.

fadada1
9/23/2007, 05:34 AM
i'm disappointed that i'm no longer in oklahoma to enjoy this. i just heard about the tirade on the way into work this morning. haven't actually heard much of what he said (outside a 10 second clip). sounds like he could've handle it differently. sounds like he defended his players - good for him.

we all know jenni is a horrible, miserable, unproffesional, sentence structure destroying writer - calling her a jounalists would be an insult to TopDawg's jounalism degree;) . maybe someone will (finally) realize that she's overstepped her position in the media.

guzziguy
9/23/2007, 07:16 AM
Just watched the clip on Tulsa's KJRH site. (If you want to do the same just keep in mind that when they say follow the link on the left they should have said on the right.)

If we were talking Pop Warner football Gundy would have been exactly right. We aren't. He went nuts.

As for the article, I read it. Putting in the part about mom feeding Reid the chicken was over the top too. Completely unnecessary and a distraction to the larger story.

My vote: Gundy = over reaction.

Bottom line in my opinion? Aggies all-around.

olevetonahill
9/23/2007, 07:31 AM
I remember Mommy feeding me . Oh wait I dont I grew the **** up at 2 :pop:

auto
9/23/2007, 08:11 AM
Pure greatness, not that I like Mike, but finally a coach who slams some NTAC like cow carlson, would like to see it more and they might start acting more intelligent.

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/23/2007, 08:16 AM
I know Jenni Carlson is crappy, but would she just completely make things like that up? I have a hard time believing an editor would let that kind of thing fly if she had absolutely no sources

are you kidding me? you really think that "journalists" don't do this every day in order to promote their own viewpoints or just stir up the pot in order to get more business or hits on their website? who's to say who her "sources" are? how can you prove or disprove that? you can't, so the people of the article want a benefit of a doubt. jenni doesn't get that from me anymore.

i read an article a couple of years ago by jenni that was posted on ouinsider. a person emailed her about the article and was posting his and her responses to each other on a thread. at the end of their exchange, jenni basically said she had acomplished her goal by making people so mad, they were reading the dok by purchasing it or getting more hits on their website. she actually came out and admitted that she wrote the article in order to stir up the pot for business. that's the day i decided to stop paying attention to her.

if you don't thinkt that the media doesn't make things up or sensationalize the "news", you're whistling past the graveyard, imo.

sanantoniosooner
9/23/2007, 08:19 AM
This just in...........it's possible for both of them to be idiots.........

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.

TopDawg
9/23/2007, 08:37 AM
This just in...........it's possible for both of them to be idiots.........

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.

Or, as someone said three pages ago:

Let me sum this all up with a few things we should all be able to agree on:

Carlson is a sub-par sports writer.
Gundy is a sub-par coach.

It's good for a coach to stick up for his players.
It's bad for a coach to act like a whiny baby.

OSU sucks.

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 08:37 AM
A) Question as to what would Stoops do in the same circumstance?

The answer is nothing. He is in a wierd way boot-strapped on this one. It is the Daily Oklahoman, after all. Notice whose name is in BIG letters on the outside of our stadium? The name of our 'Journalism' school?

He might be just as upset, and I think by his nature, Stoops is more inclined to act differently. But, I'm sure that the entire staff and program knows, that with this newspaper, they'd better measure their words carefully. Money talks, bull**** walks.

B) Don't you think that Gundy's reaction PROVES Carlson's accusations? Her article states that his player is not thick skinned. Gundy says he doesn't read the papers. Ooookay.

Coach does not read the papers ---- I'm upset about the allegations --- I whine to coach - Coach throws a hissy fit for me. Hello. That's the exact thing which is being alledged in the article.
Don't get me wrong. I think that a lot of what the Oklahoman writes borders on yellow journalism. In fact in the majority of some of the classes I had, we were not even allowed to quote the Oklahoman as a source in our papers.

C) And this one we can have some fun with.

How long do you think it's going to take the OS-who faithful to start blamming this whole thing on OU? See my reason above about the Gaylord connection to OU's program. I'll bet you their faithful in defending Gundy are already drawing a conspiracy line to OU already. We somehow tacitly framed their coach.

devOUt
9/23/2007, 08:39 AM
I'd say it's more a certainty than a possibility.

SOONER STEAKER
9/23/2007, 08:45 AM
that a boy mike. give her **** about having kids. who would want kids with that cow? Isn't Jenni a lesbian?!

Soonerpsycho
9/23/2007, 08:49 AM
Aisle seat, please.
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/jenni-carlson.gif
http://www.foxnews.com/images/139114/4_22_schiavo_terri2.jpg

stoopified
9/23/2007, 09:12 AM
On the other hand, she is probably on par with many sports writers in the state.Sad,but true.

SoonerMom2
9/23/2007, 09:40 AM
Gundy threw a temper tantrum about a sports editorial? Guess he missed Government 101 and Freedom of the Press. You want to bet the mother that brought the article to him was Reid's mother. Gundy coddles his players like they are playing peewee football but these are grown men not little kids.

I would say that Gundy is not old enough to coach when he acts like a 2-year old throwing a fit. My kids growing up never acted like that and if they did, they would have been in trouble.

Gundy is an embarrassment to coaching plan and simple. Never once did he give the facts why Reid was benched but preferred to go after Carlson. His tirade against the Oklahoman and Jenni Carlson was one of the dumbest actions by an OSU coach. He beat Myles and 'Bring on the Suckers' the other year. What is in the water in Stillwater to make a coach act stupid?

To take after a writer for not having a child is immature and an insult. You mean if she doesn't have kids she cannot write about "children" but these are not children, they are college football players and adults. That may be the problem with the OSU football team -- their head coach acts like a spoiled brat and treats the players like they are little kids. Not a good combination.

Thank you OU for hiring Bob Stoops!

Hatfield
9/23/2007, 09:43 AM
poor jenni carlson. only.

trying to write
the words
that speak the
word

and stuff

CtheB
9/23/2007, 09:44 AM
Personally, I think this story becomes more humorous as the legend grows. And Stoops does call the media out on stupid things that they say. Granted he does not go psycho grande as Gundy went yesterday.

Example:
Idiot Reporter stirring the pot: "Coach, how can you say that 2006 was a successful season?"
Stoops: "Well...the Big 12 Championship?"

Everytime he does something like this, I chuckle. The only thing that would make it better would be to add a "can you feel that buddy? huh? huh?" (Ace Ventura) during that awkward silence that exists as the reporter finds the nearest hole to crawl into.

GrapevineSooner
9/23/2007, 09:48 AM
The correct response by Gundy would be to talk about the game and about his team's great win.

If somebody by chance had brought up the article simply state 'the columnist who wrote that piece did not talk to me or Bobby. Any other questions about the game?'

Sooner24
9/23/2007, 09:58 AM

Rusty is that you?

Sooner24
9/23/2007, 10:09 AM
If my team had given up 1280 yards in total offense the last two weeks I might have done the same thing to not have to discuss it.

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:10 AM
jenni

is

retarded.

retarded

and stuff.

mike?

him too.

i need mcdonalds.

soonerloyal
9/23/2007, 10:15 AM
After watching it, I don't really see anything wrong with it. He is defending one of his kids. I think sometimes we forget these kids are for the most part not going to be professional athletes. I have never heard anything bad about Bobby Reid the person. It kind of irks me when people take shots at these guys like Nate Hybl, Eric Bassey, and the D.J. Wolfe's of college football. These are people that have stayed out of trouble and have to the best of my knowledge gone out and ALWAYS tried their hardest. Are these guys the best players ever...no and hell no but they went to class and never embarrassed the University they attended and their has to be something said to them for not being gang bangers, coke dealers, using drugs, take money they didn't earn, or any of the other heinous things we sometimes see from some of the more immature 20 21 year olds at our schools.

So...you see nothing wrong with a forty-year-old man - in a position of authority and mentorship, representing a University and a major sports program - screaming, red-faced with spittle flying out of his mouth, saying "And I hope some day, you have a child, and somebody downgrades him, and somebody belittles him..."? On television, no less?

Allrightythen. Guess "Two wrongs don't make a right" just blow right on by some people.

If my kid did that, even at forty, I'd blister his a$$. And if my favorite team's coach flew off the handle like that, I'd probably be calling for a disciplinary meeing in private with the University AD and the President, and be expecting a public apology from said coach to the media and fans. The fact that I cannot imagine my favorite team's coach screaming and spraying spit in a ten-minute public rant is beside the point. I'd never expect to see Mack Brown behaving like that. I'd never have expected it from Gundy, either - and I'm disgusted that he did.

Carlson made fun of a 21-year-old's mother feeding? bringing? him chicken. What's the point? Identify sports problems head on, deal with behavior, not make fun of your subject.

Gundy said: "...And you have to look him in the eye and say 'You know what? It's okay. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?"

Well, pal, I'd say there are several, and none of them acted like they should have.

What I think should have been a media op to celebrate a win and support one's team turned into a national joke. What might have stayed in a proportion that could be dealt with has now exploded into a sordid Springer session.

I don't like any tiny part of this entire shebang. This whole stinkbag of ridiculous behavior...wow. Just - wow.

Petro-Sooner
9/23/2007, 11:01 AM
Rusty is that you?

HEH That guy is a piece as well.

And again I applaud what Mike did.

douxpaysan
9/23/2007, 11:10 AM
KOCO Survey Results:

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%
http://www.newenglandpromower.com/toolbox.gif

MextheBulldog
9/23/2007, 11:11 AM
I had read the article before the big post-game rant, and did not feel it warranted the reaction he gave it.

sooneron
9/23/2007, 11:14 AM
Those are probably mainly Aggies voting yes,as I thought his ranting, and ranting about a terrible article was as embarrassing as the article.
Ya think?:rolleyes:

Why thank you, Captain Obvious.

Skysooner
9/23/2007, 11:23 AM
You could vote multiple times in that pole. There was one Agroid bragging about voting 50 times. Statistically valid it is not.

orangekaje
9/23/2007, 11:38 AM
Inaccurate results in the KOCO poll or not, fans all across the Big 12 South (even Tech fans after we beat them) respect Gundy more and agree with what he did. MSNBC anchors are even calling him coach of the year, father of the year and saying he can coach their kids any time.

Hornfans:
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5214555&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=stands&Number=5214437&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

TTech Scout:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=188#s=188&f=1650&t=1081878

Texags:
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=961341&forum_id=5

Baylorfans:
http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132324

sooneron
9/23/2007, 11:39 AM
From what I heard through the MWC grapevine back in the 80's, Mike is trying to pull a tough guy compensation for various reasons...

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/8040/jeremyyd4.jpg

sooneron
9/23/2007, 11:41 AM
Inaccurate results in the KOCO poll or not, fans all across the Big 12 South (even Tech fans after we beat them) respect Gundy more and agree with what he did. MSNBC anchors are even calling him coach of the year, father of the year and saying he can coach their kids any time.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. OMG, message boards are a great cross section of the public.

Quit trolling boards for validation for your retard coach. His hissy fit was laughable as was the poorly written article.

Shouldn't you be down at the silkscreen shop printing up victory t-shirts?

tommieharris91
9/23/2007, 11:44 AM

I don't think the timing of Gundy's tirade was really great. It was after an exciting, much-needed win. Now, not many people will think of the win, just the tirade. I do think Carlson deserved what she got for writing a terrible article, though. She deserved to be called out by someone for being a hack journalist. Most fans over at this board hate her (and the DOh) too. Just read this thread.

orangekaje
9/23/2007, 11:47 AM
You're barking up the wrong tree here. OMG, message boards are a great cross section of the public.

Quit trolling boards for validation for your retard coach. His hissy fit was laughable as was the poorly written article.

Shouldn't you be down at the silkscreen shop printing up victory t-shirts?

:cry:

Message boards are a good source for what the public is thinking. No need to be so hostile there, buddy. It will be OK. :pop:

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 11:51 AM
I'll bet this is what sent Gumby over the moon....LMAO...Heh.

ouwasp
9/23/2007, 11:52 AM
I've been waiting for JC to move on to greener pastures for some time. Must be sorta like the ut fans and their hopes for Greg Davis.

I thought Mike's response was a little over the top. And he did his team a dis-service (imo) for not addressing the just finished game.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

But seeing that msnbc infobabe just gushing about "her son could play for him anytime!" was just annoying. I bet if the infobabe was aware that Mike was calling out a female reporter, she wouldn't have been quite so enthralled.

Newbomb Turk
9/23/2007, 11:53 AM
No need to be so hostile there, buddy.

yeah ron - calm down there "buddy".

;)

r5TPsooner
9/23/2007, 12:03 PM

I totally agree with you Rhino. OU fans, some OSU fans & and the media rip Gundy for not showing more emotion. When he does, the same people rip on him for doing so. Did he handle it the way some of us would/might have? Probably not, but if that were my kid, playing for that coach, I might be a little embarrassed but at least I knew that he was trying to stand up for my kid and actually took interest in him for more than his athletic abilities on the field.

Jeni Carlson not only sucks as a writer, but she sucks as a human being as well IMHO. She is still writing the same ole BS she was writing when I left Oklahoma in 1999.

Stitch Face
9/23/2007, 12:07 PM
MSNBC anchors are even calling him coach of the year

Whatever, Boone.

Hopefully your apoplectic coach is enjoying the same message boards, because that's as close as he's every going to get to COTY.

orangekaje
9/23/2007, 12:10 PM
Whatever, Boone.

Hopefully your apoplectic coach is enjoying the same message boards, because that's as close as he's every going to get to COTY.

I wasn't insinuating he deserves or would get CoTY. It was just a funny comment made by an anchorwoman.

The_Red_Patriot
9/23/2007, 12:14 PM
Wow, take off your crimson glasses for a little bit.

I love what Gundy did. The DOK is a trash paper anyway and Carlson basically made that whole article up.

It gave me chills watching the video.

fossil
9/23/2007, 12:32 PM
What ever the reason was for the eruption of 'Mt. Gumbu', it was a **** poor attempt at chewing somebody out. My wife does better than this when I forget to take the garbage out.

Doged
9/23/2007, 12:38 PM
Gundy's a genius! Who'd have thought an inept coach could so successfully hide his suckitude by just launching a childish tirade at some third rate reporter over a poorly written opinion piece?

It's possible that said third rate reporter instigated the whole show to begin with, though. Obviously no one had bothered to read the piece until the dog and pony show brought attention to it. Suddenly it's a must-read for everyone in a three state area. :D

Stitch Face
9/23/2007, 12:43 PM
I love what Gundy did.

It gave me chills watching the video.

I didn't know you were a chick!

Scott D
9/23/2007, 12:46 PM
Published by a company controlled by Edward L. Gaylord, owner of the Grand Ole Opry. The Daily Oklahoman was cited by the Columbia Journalism Review as being the worst metro area newspaper in the nation, probably because it contains a very low local-news content compared to other local newspapers.

enough said.

cvsooner
9/23/2007, 01:01 PM
Y'know, if you had to report regularly on OSU, you might be tempted to do anything just to get out of having to write about them anymore.

I was looking over Jenni's blog at the Oklahoman website and she was pretty sympathetic to Reid's situation, before this particular piece came out.

She's entitled to her opinion. True, she doesn't really cite any real sources, though she does quote Reid, at one point. Gundy said three-quarters of the article isn't true, but he doesn't say what. I mean, did Reid eat tuna? Who knows?

When it all comes down to it, Carlson's an average sports writer and Gundy's a joke as a coach and doesn't represent his school well. Reid is a D1 college football player of better than average ability stuck in a below average program. Life just isn't fair, sometimes.

Let's move on.

Partial Qualifier
9/23/2007, 01:12 PM
Sticking up for your players = admirable.

Bottling up a tirade, unleashing it at your post-game presser after your big win (and possibly only big win of the season).. forgoing any mention of your teams performance.. Childish, embarrassing, pathetic.

There's not enough adjectives to describe Gundy's loserness. I don't care how much you dislike Carlson... call her out, sure. Flippantly mention something about it. But to go off like that..

AT BEST you could give Gundy the benefit of the doubt, and assume this was a rallying cry for his team not unlike a MLB coach intentially getting tossed. But if your rallying cry is a newspaper article written about your ex-starting QB. Oh My God.

I can't believe I feel this way about OSU but I'm embarrassed for their whole program at this point.

mhackl
9/23/2007, 01:19 PM
I'm surprised that it's not up on youtube yet. I did find this one though.

Gellin' with Gundy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8HyinwCDL8)

(FIXED)
Mike Gundy Lectures the Oklahoma Media (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VytIZZzee0)

Triumph
9/23/2007, 01:23 PM
The whole gumby tirade is the product of the aggie and their paranoia over the Crimson Media Conspiracy. His tirade just ads fuel to aggie and their argument that the DO is Sooner run and out to get them. Aggie would argue that the "gooners are scared".

As shown by this quote from orange power.

It wasn't just the article that made this all so incredibly over the edge. The photo was the size that you'd have when ou wins the mnc or a war ends. The headline shouted out that an ATTITUDE problem existed right above his photo. It was clearly an attack on Bobby Reid and our program not only by Jenni's article, but by the whole oklahoman. She doesn't put the photo on or choose the headline. Many others were involved in this attack.

It's time to get serious about all this, and Mike did that yesterday. They are trying to hurt our team, our coaches, our fanbase, our recruiting, and our whole program by humiliating us publicly. They are scared.

Stitch Face
9/23/2007, 01:30 PM
They are scared.

This is the endless refrain of aggie 'on the rise.'

Why the hell is everyone in Oklahoma supposedly so scared of OSU?

Because we're worried the rest of America will learn about them and then Oklahoma tourism will slow down even more?

thatmediadude
9/23/2007, 01:32 PM
Who were the clappers? Can you give any names?

I didn't turn around to look. I was trying not to make eye contact with anyone fearing I would start to chuckle.

Triumph
9/23/2007, 01:41 PM
I read on another board that the clappers were aggie supporters, not media.

TMcGee86
9/23/2007, 01:57 PM
He's a tool.

A mother brought it to him and he actually read it? Are you freaking kidding me? I can't imagine Stoops doing such a stupid and pathetic thing. I think he would have done what any rational coach would have done and explained to the mother that there is one thing newspapers are good for and its not reading.

He should have explained to the mother that when you are a big time athlete you can't be reading the papers and the message boards and you have to block all that out. A very small price to pay for the fame and possible fortune that you are playing for.

Then he should have dropped it completely.

To bring it up in a PC, let alone make your entire PC about such article is just beyond ridiculous.

Then to bow up to a woman? A freaking woman? And come out from behind the podium and point like you are going to fight her?

I've never seen such tool-ish-ness. It disgusts me. Stoops would never do that. No man should ever do that.

Gundy is a loser. His team is full of losers and his quarterback and her mother are losers.

And JC is a joke, but that fact makes the reaction even more idiotic.

cvsooner
9/23/2007, 02:03 PM
This is the endless refrain of aggie 'on the rise.'

Why the hell is everyone in Oklahoma supposedly so scared of OSU?

Because we're worried the rest of America will learn about them and then Oklahoma tourism will slow down even more?

Okay, now I've got to clean up Diet Dr. Pepper from my keyboard, since I just snorted it out of my nose while laughing. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read here. Spek.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 02:14 PM
He's a tool.

A mother brought it to him and he actually read it? Are you freaking kidding me? I can't imagine Stoops doing such a stupid and pathetic thing. I think he would have done what any rational coach would have done and explained to the mother that there is one thing newspapers are good for and its not reading.

no, the mother had to read it to him. We know how Gundy got the Dexter Manley reading classes up there in Stillwater.

Animal Mother
9/23/2007, 02:16 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%

Do you think anyone other than supporters would answer this query?
The 11% are just osu fans that got the numbers backwards.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 02:19 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think Boone Pickens was right about water not being wet?

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%

:)

Turd_Ferguson
9/23/2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by orangekaje
KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think OSU coach Mike Gundy reacted like a typical sheep humper to Jenni Carlson's column about Bobby Reid?

10-4 Good Buddy --- 1354 --- 89%
No Siree Bob ---- 166 ---- 11%

Fixed:D

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2007, 02:21 PM
Who is gonna do the "Leave Boby Reid Alone" video for Youtube?

Scott D
9/23/2007, 02:26 PM
KOCO Survey Results:

Do you think OSU coach Mike Gundy reacted to Jenni Carlson because Boone Pickens threatened to not send any more shipments of hair gel?

Yes --- 1354 --- 89%
No ---- 166 ---- 11%

fixed again.

oufan1
9/23/2007, 02:29 PM
Who is gonna do the "Leave Boby Reid Alone" video for Youtube?
I think Gundy already did it last night ;)

Can you imagine what the puke fans would be saying if this had been Stoops, they called him whiny last year when he stood up for the team in the Oregon deal?

Reading there message board today is comic gold, they are talking like Gundy's tantrum is going to land them number 1 recruiting classes for years to come and atleast on national championship.

StoopTroup
9/23/2007, 02:41 PM
I think that your statement might be 75% not true....

:pop:

soonerloyal
9/23/2007, 02:43 PM
I totally agree with you Rhino. OU fans, some OSU fans & and the media rip Gundy for not showing more emotion. When he does, the same people rip on him for doing so. Did he handle it the way some of us would/might have? Probably not, but if that were my kid, playing for that coach, I might be a little embarrassed but at least I knew that he was trying to stand up for my kid and actually took interest in him for more than his athletic abilities on the field.

Jeni Carlson not only sucks as a writer, but she sucks as a human being as well IMHO. She is still writing the same ole BS she was writing when I left Oklahoma in 1999.

Not all OU fans. I don't normally invest in either the team or the coaching staff with enough caring to rip on them for emotion or lack thereof. This was such a craptacular exception, given the horrific behavior.

Besides, the infantile tantrum captured for all the world to see wasn't Gundy showing emotion, it was Gundy showing a total inability/refusal to control his emotion. Not an admirable showing.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime here. It's rather like setting your neighbor's lawn furniture on fire just because the guy puts a "Your Team Sucks" sign out on gameday.

BTW, unless you know another human on a deeply personal basis, how in the world can you decide they suck as a human being? So her columns suck - how does that reflect her worth as a person?

Who'd have thought this kind of thing would have caused such a $#!+storm, and on a Sooner Board, of all places?
:eek:

Animal Mother
9/23/2007, 02:46 PM
This was nothing short of a stunt by Mike "Smart as a brick" Gundy. This was not supporting his players. This was a bad idea and even Carl Rove couldn't spin it to make it look better. This was aimed at his brain dead fan base.Any osu fan that says it was good for the program demonstrates why nothing is good for their program.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/23/2007, 02:56 PM
For anyone who thinks this is just Gundy supporting his players, I have to ask: What about the players that pulled out a tough win and got zero props from their coach in a press conference that was ostensibly about the game?

FaninAma
9/23/2007, 02:57 PM
Think Jenni might write us a column on how her a$$ felt while Gundy was blowing her doors off? I mean, seriously, since she wrote that one column from the perspective of Tony Lindsey's knee, it's all been downhill. This article could serve to restart her career, you know, the one that died when she took the job at the Joke(lahoman).

And Gundy is a spineless piece of crap. If he had any level of maturity he would have stuck around and taken questions after his little hissy fit. But instead, he comes out on stage, throws his little temper tantrum and then runs out of the room. What a chickn sh*t.

FaninAma
9/23/2007, 03:09 PM
All of you who are giving props to Gundy for "defending" his players do realize your defending a hypocrite don't you? The story about Reid being soft and unmotivated was out in the media days before Carlson's article and all of the reporters referenced sources within the OSU program.

The OSU coaching staff are the ones who threw Reid under the bus, not Carlson. Now they're trying to do damage control using a very dispicable, cheap tactic.....act like a screaming lunatic, point fingers at other people and try to deflect the criticism from yourself.

These are all sure signs that the USS T. Boone is taking on water.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2007, 03:32 PM
By the percentage given out by Gundy, seems he has been spending time with Dean Blevins..

OU-HSV
9/23/2007, 03:50 PM
www.koco.com he loses it over a carlson article. what a loser
This is the first I've seen this clip. Wow, think gumby's blood pressure was up much?

StoopTroup
9/23/2007, 03:53 PM
My Poll will settle this once and for all. :D

:pop:

KaiserSooner
9/23/2007, 06:04 PM

Damn well better be. I've never been comfortable with the way local sports media people suck up to coaching staffs. I'd much rather sports writers write with a critical, independent perspective than one jaded by the crimson or orange-flavored koolaid given them by coaches.

wishbonesooner
9/23/2007, 06:06 PM
Mike Gundy is such a spineless prick. He himself lied about the Reid benching, then he berates a writer for criticizing a "child"? Bobby Reid is a 20 year old man. Gundy is the perfect coach for OSU, loser, liar, loudmouth. Perfect.

KaiserSooner
9/23/2007, 06:15 PM
All of you who are giving props to Gundy for "defending" his players do realize your defending a hypocrite don't you? The story about Reid being soft and unmotivated was out in the media days before Carlson's article and all of the reporters referenced sources within the OSU program.

The OSU coaching staff are the ones who threw Reid under the bus, not Carlson. Now they're trying to do damage control using a very dispicable, cheap tactic.....act like a screaming lunatic, point fingers at other people and try to deflect the criticism from yourself.

I couldn't agree more.

If Mike Gundy's way of handling critical press of one of his players is to throw a temper tantrum any 4 yr old would be proud of, he should make haste in finding a different profession.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/23/2007, 06:15 PM
Gundy: LEAVE BOBY REID ALONE! HE 'S HAVING A HARD TIME! HIS MOMMA FORCE FEEDS HIM CHICKEN! HIS COACH LIES AND SAYS HE S GOING TO START....wait thats me..

daMentor
9/23/2007, 06:22 PM
showing the newspaper was the capper.

actually, dropping the middle section was the capper.
I would have liked to see him drop the paper on the ground and relieve himself on it. That would have been the capper! :D

cvsooner
9/23/2007, 06:32 PM
Hmmmm. From the OSU student paper, Sept. 18, 2007:

Oklahoma State fans’ frustration boiled over this week after the Cowboys suffered an embarrassing 41-23 loss to Troy.

Committing five turnovers and giving up a staggering 526 yards to the Trojans, the team gave fans little to cheer about

“It’s not easy to handle a loss, but in the same aspect you’ve got to take it in stride,” senior linebacker Jeremy Nethon said. “It was a good quality team. Troy had athletes, they had good coaching and they went out there and they played well, and I give it to them.

“They were a good team and we didn’t go out there and perform.”

The loss moved the Cowboys’ record to 1-2, with trips at Nebraska, Texas A&M and Oklahoma remaining on the schedule.

At Monday’s news conference, coach Mike Gundy said that if fans are upset, he wouldn’t know.

“I never read the paper or watch TV or get on the Internet,” Gundy said. “When I go to work it’s dark, and when I go home it’s dark.”

Despite Gundy being unaware of the Cowboy faithful’s public opinion, he said the adversity can get to players if they aren’t mentally tough.

“We go through this when we lose a game,” Gundy said. “Here’s the deal. … Nobody is more disappointed [than the coaching staff] when we lose.

“But this is what we do. Part of what we do is we train young men that there’s [going to be] things that don’t happen the way they want them to in life and if they quit, and they listen to what people tell them they should or shouldn’t do, they’re going to have issues the rest of their life.”

So...here's the translation from yesterday:

Jenni, don't criticize my coaching decisions. And especially, don't write anything that annoys Bobby Reid's momma.

Somehow, this all reminds me of Adam Sandler in "The Waterboy" crossed with that commercial with the drill instructor advertising the stain remover.

redhawk49
9/23/2007, 06:36 PM
Cue Clarke Griswold!!! And I wanna look him straight in the eye and tell him what a cheap lying no good four flushing................

cvsooner
9/23/2007, 06:41 PM
The only thing worse than Bobby Reid's momma is Mitch Mustain's momma. You suppose she'll ever complain to Pete Carroll?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/23/2007, 06:54 PM
So the REAL question...

Has osu pulled Jenni's or the Jokelahoman's press credentials yet?

booomer
9/23/2007, 09:07 PM
There is an interesting post from Brian Bishop (OUInsider) about Gundy's short fuse when it comes to Bobby Reid and something that happened between OUI and Gundy in 2004.

Here it is if you want to read it: http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17134

oufan1
9/23/2007, 09:27 PM
There is an interesting post from Brian Bishop (OUInsider) about Gundy's short fuse when it comes to Bobby Reid and something that happened between OUI and Gundy in 2004.

Here it is if you want to read it: http://ouinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17134
If half of the thread is true Blobert and Swaim and Gundy are bigger losers than I thought... WOW

badger
9/23/2007, 09:28 PM
I deleted my post from earlier because I have a strong reason to believe this is more the Oklahoman's fault than Carlson's.

Jenni didn't report on or even attend the Troy game. That tells you right there that all this info is second hand. I have strong reason to believe that her superiors put her up to writing that column and that is why her editor is so quick to defend the column and her.

It is a piece of gibberish--- hearsay and such aren't solid pieces of evidence, but I think if the OSU fan and coaching wrath should be held anywhere, it should be at the Oklahoman for running it and spreading the "garbage" to a wider audience through the largest circulation in the state, not including its television associate news channel 9 and the Web site newsok.com

Rest assured, the Oklahoman's publisher family has donated millions to OU and would be too afraid of the ensuing death threats to ever say that one of our past starters was on the bench because his mom fed him chicken. However, in the name of fairness, this is too much and it is a shame that things have turned out the way they have :(

...even if it gives us OU fans message board material :D

jccouger
9/23/2007, 10:18 PM
I support him 100%

FaninAma
9/23/2007, 10:39 PM
I support him 100%

Mama Reid, is that you? BTW, who was little Bobby talking to on the cell phone while you fed him chicken?

Ruuuuuufus
9/24/2007, 02:29 AM
satire article from today's OU paper:

OKLAHOMA CITY – Jenni Carlson stood near her car Sunday night, crying, using her cell phone, eating some chocolate cake.

It would’ve been a normal post-writing activity for the Professional Sports Journalist, had it not been for one thing.

Her mother was feeding her cake.

Which brings us to ****ty journalism in Oklahoma.

Don’t see the connection?

Let me explain. The Oklahoman’s owners and editors have gone full-speed ahead with “The Tom Bomb,” opting to let freshman writer Tom Edwards sit at the editor’s desk in the office a week ago, and then continuing to let him sit there this week, even after an embarrassing headline-bust where Edwards confused Iranians with Jews.

Weren’t we being told just last week that Carlson was still “the guy” (but most likely “the woman”?) But all the weight with which The Oklahoman editors were backing Carlson has totally shifted to Edwards.

The change seems sudden.

Thing is, it may not be as abrupt as it looks. If you believe the rumors and the rumblings, Carlson has been pushing owners and editors that way for quite some time.

Tile up the back stories told on the sly over the past few years, and you see a pattern of horrifically written sports articles and bad attitude.

“She drank the entire pot of coffee, then didn’t make another,” said one co-worker. “And she has a specific coffee mug for each day of the week. Are you kidding me?”

Other employees also went on the attack.

“Tell me where my burger went that was in the fridge?” said an anonymous writer. “I’ll tell you where, into Carlson’s stupid face, that’s where. Can she even read? My name was clearly written on the Styrofoam box.”

Word is that Carlson has considered transferring to other papers a couple of times, the first as early as 2005. Carlson, then a less terrible writer, was facing competition from a returning sports writer who was actually good at his job, and, apparently, Carlson considered leaving The Oklahoman just because she had to make an effort with writing.

Carlson’s nerves have also been an issue. Earlier this year, she told a fellow writer about her emotions while writing articles.

“I get sweaty palms. I get the butterflies in my stomach. I get really gassy and bloated,” she told her bosses and the office physician. “I’ve been writing for nearly 20 years, and I can honestly say every article I’ve written, I’ve been really gassy and farty and hungry. It’s not so much that I am nervous about writing; I just get to a point where I can’t control my bowels. Most articles I’ve written have been from a toilet.”

A lot of writers get nervous, some even start over when they’re done. How you handle your nerves is important, though, and Carlson hasn’t always managed them well (as in lots of skid marks.) She has chosen some extremely poor sports topics, putting the paper in some holes. Some, they dug out of, with Carlson never wielding the biggest shovel, and some, they couldn’t.

Then, there have been the extremely terrible topics. No doubt some of Carlson’s ailments have been severe, including a lack of knowledge on how to write something well, or the her lack of general gumption. But, she keeps producing content, hoping to get better, which is cute at most.

Even though the editor of The Oklahoman said last week that Edwards got the big desk because he had a better week of articles, insiders say that the editors decided to move Carlson back early in the week. The bottom line: The switch is less about Edwards’ OK week and more about Carlson’s poor excuse for journalism.

“The editors made a decision,” Carlson said. “I just have to go with it, work on my basic English and get back in that desk.”

There’s something to be said for not being malcontent, but you can almost see Carlson shrugging her shoulders, as she says those words. Does she have the fire in her belly?

Or does she literally want to go to the pound, adopt a dog, train it to **** on typing paper and turn it in as news?

Or perhaps she’s just like to be fed cake.

Taxman71
9/24/2007, 07:03 AM
The interesting thing about this whole deal is that osu fans (see their message boards) AGREED with the article Sat. morning. Not until Gundy went berserk did they jump on the hate bandwagon.

SOONER STEAKER
9/24/2007, 07:43 AM
It's been 2 days since we have heard from Jenni? Where oh where is Jennui hiding.

I hope she is gathering steam and comes back firing, I kinda miss her!!

OSUAggie
9/24/2007, 07:54 AM
Reading a few boards, the reaction seems expectedly split.

A lot of OSU fans don't like the way Gundy handled it, but they'll obviously defend their coach.

Mike will probably get ripped today by all the PTI's and ATH's of the world since they're run by people who make their living writing their opinion. I imagine the majority of people will see the video and not read the article.

Oh well. It will be interesting to see what all of the coaches in the conference say in their PC's over the next day or two - if the issue is addressed.

I respect any columnist's right to come out with their opinion and blast anybody they want - but they better have a better basis than Carlson's. Even if her 'sources' were solid, she had to understand that she was personally ripping someone that was:

A) A model student - athlete.

B) In a tough situation.

I've always disliked Carlson's stuff, but that was only based on the fact that it was poor writing - not because I think she's a ****ing dyke (NTTAWWT) with a bull**** Title IX axe to grind.

There's a way you should handle it when you rip a kid for being 'tentative' or whatever as a QB. You should cite in-game examples and leave out the fact that he ate some chicken that his mom gave him.

Plus, she's about a week late on the QB speculation.

I don't mind Gundy's reaction. I don't think it was great, or anything, but I completely understand why he did it. I think a lot of it had to do with frustration over the start of the season and the fact that it felt good to get a win in a tough game.

Oh, and Mike Leach should still try to win a bit more in Stillwater before talking ****. ;)

OU4LIFE
9/24/2007, 07:59 AM
Like I said on the other board....I have no problem at all with him defending a player, I just think it was contrived and planned after three weeks of everyone in the country describing him as flat and uninterested, the PR department told him he needed to act 'fiery', so this is what you get.

I wouldn't want to talk football either after letting Harrell light up my defense for 650+ passing yards...

reddfoxx
9/24/2007, 08:37 AM
She is a terrible sportswriter who was hired because of her gender. It's not just the Bobby Reid article, she's been bad for years. Maybe she will stay "missing."

Dio
9/24/2007, 08:40 AM
Jenni, Jenni, who can I turn to?

stoopified
9/24/2007, 08:42 AM
Thar she blows,cap'n!Make ready the harpoon.

OKLA21FAN
9/24/2007, 08:43 AM
she can't take three barrels down....no one can take three barrels down

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/24/2007, 09:26 AM
Jenni, Jenni, who can I turn to?

867-5309

someone call her and see where she is....

Taxman71
9/24/2007, 09:37 AM
Maybe her "sources" for the article captured her and are threatening her with the hose if she doesn't put on the lotion.