PDA

View Full Version : Setting the Record Straigh

Jenni Carlson
9/24/2007, 11:14 AM
Hello once again Soonerfans.com!

In our ongoing effort to make this the best of all the school affiliated forums, your dignified leader Road Warrior (As seen on TV) has asked me to provide some much needed insight into this latest series of drama surrounding OSU team captain Robert Reid.

Previously, he's gone by Bob or even Bobby, but I've decided to call him Robert as it's apparent that he's much more an adult than many others on the Aggie football team.

Robert.

Adult.

Of course, adulthood doesn't reach all the way to the top of the organization.

Mikey.

Considering that Robert's duties now stop at calling the coin flip, he's handled it with class and dignity. Of course, considering the overall team leadership, it's surprising he's been able to adjust and take things in stride.

Surprising.

Surprising?

Surprising.

Not all within the organization have handled demotions with such panache.

Consider Mikey's recent demotion to media spokesperson. When his duties included coach, he would address the media and engage in lively debate. Since losing his post as HC, he's ended the debate, ended discussing X's and O's and devled into literary critique.

Now, I realize that there is a vocal minority here on Soonerfan that may not agree with my characterization of Robert as a whiner and folding under pressure. Until now, I assumed it was his own doing.

I realize now that he's simply modeling his behavior he's seen elsewhere.

Leadership.

Mikey?

You be the judge.

Garbage?

Hardly.

Protesteth too much?

Likely.

Jenni Carlson
9/24/2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry. The title of this post should have been "straight." I don't know why I have such trouble typing that word.

Beef
9/24/2007, 11:17 AM
Awe.

Some.

Aries
9/24/2007, 11:18 AM
Okay, first of all... I don't read the Oklahoman, so I don't know anything about Jenni Carlson. This is probably pretty naive, but I'll say it... I seriously doubt this was written by her.

But if it was?

It's very unprofessional.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 11:20 AM
http://www.42green.com/random/ohsnap.gif

frankensooner
9/24/2007, 11:21 AM
Okay, first of all... I don't read the Oklahoman, so I don't know anything about Jenni Carlson. This is probably pretty naive, but I'll say it... I seriously doubt this was written by her.

But if it was?

What? Of course it is her. Can't you see her picture?

crawfish
9/24/2007, 11:21 AM

But if it was?

Phil should DEFINITELY get his money back.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 11:22 AM
Yes, because everyone is legally required to put their picture in their avatar. I am actually Clive Owen in disguise.

Beef
9/24/2007, 11:23 AM
Everytime I see Jenni puckering up, I want to smooch my monitor. Or drown a kitten.

Aries
9/24/2007, 11:29 AM
Okay, well I *said* it was probably naive...

:)

I get the point....

cheezyq
I think that college kids are subjected to too much scrutiny in the media, especially considering that their first obligation is to their education, not their football team. Because of that, I admire Stoops all the more for shielding our young QBs from the barrage that awaited them in the offseason.

But I gotta say, Gundy should focus his energy on his team and not what someone wants to write about his players. If I were him, I'd waste more of my time on his team's problems than stewing over an article in the newspaper. He gets paid to coach, Jenni gets paid to write commentary. Jenni is doing her job, Mike is not doing his job.

BlondeSoonerGirl
Jenni,

Kill teh horsepigs.

Plz?

Kthx.

frankensooner
9/24/2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, because everyone is legally required to put their picture in their avatar. I am actually Clive Owen in disguise.

Wow, can I have your Autograph Mr. Owen? ;)

Texas Golfer
9/24/2007, 11:41 AM
I think that college kids are subjected to too much scrutiny in the media, especially considering that their first obligation is to their education, not their football team. Because of that, I admire Stoops all the more for shielding our young QBs from the barrage that awaited them in the offseason.

But I gotta say, Gundy should focus his energy on his team and not what someone wants to write about his players. If I were him, I'd waste more of my time on his team's problems than stewing over an article in the newspaper. He gets paid to coach, Jenni gets paid to write commentary. Jenni is doing her job, Mike is not doing his job.

I disagree. I think Mike is doing a great job with this controversy. He's rallying his troops by appearing to be their defender. He's also recruiting by publicly showing a defender of the player personna. This is an excellent move.

It's Jenni that is not doing her job. Her job is to report the news, not create it. Her job is to report the story, not be the story. And, if this thread was, indeed, started by Jenni, she is further showing her lack of professionalism.

frankensooner
9/24/2007, 11:43 AM
We have already established it is really her~!!! geez peoples, keep up! Just Ask Clive.

cheezyq
9/24/2007, 11:53 AM
I disagree. I think Mike is doing a great job with this controversy. He's rallying his troops by appearing to be their defender. He's also recruiting by publicly showing a defender of the player personna. This is an excellent move.

It's Jenni that is not doing her job. Her job is to report the news, not create it. Her job is to report the story, not be the story. And, if this thread was, indeed, started by Jenni, she is further showing her lack of professionalism.

Well, first of all, I don't really stand behind Jenni's article. I do think it's improper to write stuff like that. But, it IS her job. She's not a reporter, she's an editorial writer. Reporters report the news, editorial writers comment on it.

Second, Gundy's handling of the situation had all the maturity of a spoiled infant. I wanted to send him to his bedroom with no dinner and no TV when I saw it. Anyone in the public eye has to face the scrutiny of the media, especially quarterbacks, and there's no worse way to deal with it than scream and yell. What he should have done is walk up to Reid and told him that regardless of what's written in the newspapers, what matters is that his teammates and those close to him know what kind of person he is. Then ignore it. Giving in to a tirade about the article gives it a credibility that it doesn't deserve to have.

He could have handled the situation with dignity and class, and instead he chose to throw a hissy.

Texas Golfer
9/24/2007, 12:00 PM
Well, first of all, I don't really stand behind Jenni's article. I do think it's improper to write stuff like that. But, it IS her job. She's not a reporter, she's an editorial writer. Reporters report the news, editorial writers comment on it.

Second, Gundy's handling of the situation had all the maturity of a spoiled infant. I wanted to send him to his bedroom with no dinner and no TV when I saw it. Anyone in the public eye has to face the scrutiny of the media, especially quarterbacks, and there's no worse way to deal with it than scream and yell. What he should have done is walk up to Reid and told him that regardless of what's written in the newspapers, what matters is that his teammates and those close to him know what kind of person he is. Then ignore it. Giving in to a tirade about the article gives it a credibility that it doesn't deserve to have.

He could have handled the situation with dignity and class, and instead he chose to throw a hissy.

You've obviously missed the point.

Partial Qualifier
9/24/2007, 12:06 PM

It *would* be an excellent move, except for that pesky media backlash thing that's gonna be his undoing.

As someone here said, the media are "circling the wagons". As unfair as it is, you can't attack the media and get away with it. They WILL make his life miserable.

OKLA21FAN
9/24/2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks Jenni,
Now that has been cleared up

Can you focus your attention on getting the Pride to stop doing the Aggie wave and playing that Florida song?

and oh yeah, allow people to leave the stadium at halftime once again.

TIA

cheezyq
9/24/2007, 12:14 PM
You've obviously missed the point.

Not really, I just don't have much to say about your recruiting/defense argument. To me, any gains in that department were trumped by the fact that he placed himself in front of the media as a lunatic. Even if he did decide to address the media in defense of Reid, his tirade puts him and the university in a negative light, and probably puts his job in jeopardy.

Ash
9/24/2007, 12:17 PM
gold.

pure.

gold.

Pricetag
9/24/2007, 12:20 PM
He's also recruiting by publicly showing a defender of the player personna.
He's only recruiting to people who don't recognize "crazier than a ****house rat" when they see it.

Ash
9/24/2007, 12:25 PM
The only thing funnier than people buying into Mikey's little act now will be when OSU fans start pointing to this as why they land a recruit.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/24/2007, 12:29 PM
He's only recruiting to people who don't recognize "crazier than a ****house rat" when they see it.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2043/gundycm4.jpg THAT AIN'T TRUE!!!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/24/2007, 12:33 PM
heehee

Collier11
9/24/2007, 12:39 PM

But if it was?

dumb da dumb dumb dumb!!!!

Collier11
9/24/2007, 12:41 PM
Wow, can I have your Autograph Mr. Owen? ;)

can you impregnate my girlfriend mr. owen???

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2007, 01:06 PM
Hey Aries,
When you go to the mall at Christmas time, do you wonder to yourself if the mall Santa is the real deal??

I'll listen off the air.

8timechamps
9/24/2007, 01:17 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm behind Gundy on this.

HOWEVER, as much as I appreciate his fire, I also think he made too much of the issue. I think he could have gotten his point across with less "outspokenness" (I know, it's a cool word!).

And, just FYI, HCBS has come out in defense of Gundy. As with anything in life, I'm always on Bob's side!

olevetonahill
9/24/2007, 01:18 PM
Jenni,

Kill teh horsepigs.

Plz?

Kthx.
Good Jorb booty, this has to be at least the post of the day :D

mwmcl
9/24/2007, 02:49 PM
Words can not begin to describe the beauty of this thread.

Teh BRAVO needs to be at least 3 times bigger!

DarrellZero
9/24/2007, 03:08 PM
Soonerfans is the gold standard in separating the witty from the witless.

Howzit
9/24/2007, 03:15 PM
The first post made me snort.

The second one actually shot a booger onto my keyboard.

BudSooner
9/24/2007, 04:50 PM
Soonerfans is the gold standard in separating the witty from the witless.

Well hell it hasn't helped me any.:mad:

TUSooner
9/24/2007, 05:05 PM
It's NOT Jenni! There are too many complete sentences!

Y'all are suckers.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/24/2007, 05:11 PM
Dude.

After looking at the real Jenni Carlson's avatar, I popped enough wood to put Home Depot out of business.

Sooner_Havok
9/24/2007, 05:24 PM
The thing is, Gumby won't come out and say what the truth is. He was asked what was incorrect in her writing, and he wouldn't say. And as far as not criticizing "amateur" athletes, fine stop saying how bad the ND line is, stop saying how Clausen looks horrible.

Good for Gumby if he wants to stand up for a player he benched, but why do that at the expense of the rest of the team? If I am on OSU player now, I feel slighted that Gumby didn't talk about how we just came together and won a huge game. Instead he spends the entire post game interview talking about ONE player. Not even ONE player who affected the outcome of the game. Where was the praise for Brandon Pettigrew breaking tackles and scoring what wound up being the game winning touchdown? Are you telling me that if you were him, you wouldn't feel a little let down that your heroics don't get mentioned just because Gumby has an ax to grind? There is a time and a place for these stuff, and after a HUGE win is neither the time nor the place.

If he was upset with what Jeni said, bring that up in Mondays presser, not after an emotional win for your team.

Again, I can applaud his trying to defend a player that he thought was being kicked while he was down, but to do it in the manner he did took away from what his other kids had just done on the field.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/24/2007, 05:48 PM
If I am on OSU player now, I feel slighted that Gumby didn't talk about how we just came together and won a huge game.

But you're not. On OSU player now. At least I hope not.

You need to work on your tan.

Sooner_Havok
9/24/2007, 05:58 PM
But you're not. On OSU player now. At least I hope not.

You need to work on your tan.

:rolleyes:

DO YOU HAVE KIDS! ARE YOU A MOTHER OF CHILDREN? HOW DARE YOU ATTACK A KID FOR A STUPID *** GRAMMAR MISTAKE!

Plus, working in a basement from 5pm-2am, you start to hate the sun.
:D

fadada1
9/24/2007, 06:27 PM
God help us...

has this whole thing been annointed as "jennigate" yet??? i've missed so much being in new york. is this thing still the number one story on the news?? i imagine gary englund is probably talking about it during his weather segment.

is that the REAL jenni carlson???? THAT'S RICH!!!!!!!

btw, clive... you look MAAAAAVELOUS!!!!

i can't believe clive owen post here on soonerfans.

CatfishSooner
9/24/2007, 08:32 PM
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

BudSooner
9/24/2007, 08:39 PM
i can't believe clive owen post here on soonerfans.

What? you didn't get the memo?:O

sooner n houston
9/24/2007, 09:15 PM
Welcome back Jenni, its been way too long!!! :D

Flying Scotsman
9/24/2007, 09:53 PM
Mikey Likes it!! Mikey Likes it!!

LIFE.....

Ain't it a bowl of cereal?

(Cereal - Something cows turn into steak and she-ite....)