PDA

View Full Version : So is KU really any good?

Widescreen
9/24/2007, 10:24 AM
Or are they just beating up on the teams that they used to be competitive with?

kevpks
9/24/2007, 10:29 AM
"Good" is a relative term. They are good enough to win the North, which means they'd finish fourth in the South.

A-M
9/24/2007, 10:29 AM
I really don't have an answer for you from my own thoughts. However, the people up here in Kansas think that KU has a great shot of being the North division champion this year. Remember, I said the people in Kansas, so they may or may not know anything about football.;)

OSUAggie
9/24/2007, 10:33 AM

Well..

They play about the same type of non-league schedule every season, and they typically end up with a loss or two in that portion of the schedule. They're making the teams they play look bad, which is obviously the goal.

So, at the very least, I'd say they're better than they've been.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 10:38 AM
I'd say KU and Mizzou look like the teams to beat in the North right now.

r5TPsooner
9/24/2007, 10:40 AM
KU is a solid defensive football team and an average offensive team. From what I've seen, they will be a so-so road team and a very strong home team. I think that KSU handles them in Manhattan.

OSUAggie
9/24/2007, 10:42 AM
Aren't they top-5 nationally in scoring?

In fact, 4 out of the top 5 scoring teams are Big XII teams, and none of them are even the world's greatest.

stoopified
9/24/2007, 10:48 AM
The Jayhawks are an illusion.They WILL fall apart aginst quality competition,finshing around 7-5.

Blitzkrieg
9/24/2007, 10:51 AM
I picked KU to finish second in the north, not that they would be the second best team, but their schedule lays down like Chi-O on bid night.

No OU. no UT, Nebraska at home, etc. Mangino is a good coach, but he lacks talent. IMO Mu will in the north with a win Oct 6th over NU, but KU will on paper be second at the end of the season. Next year they get OU and UT in the same year - that's wrong.

royalfan5
9/24/2007, 10:54 AM
If nothing else, they can probably compete in the track meets that will be North Division games this year.

SteelClip49
9/24/2007, 10:56 AM
Kansas will be either 9-2 or 10-1 heading into the game vs. Missouri.

KU potential losses= TAMU, Nebraska, Nebraska; or just Mizzou and Nebraska

EstablishedSooner1967
9/24/2007, 11:10 AM
Win 6 and get a bowl game... I think KU is ok... not good. They will have there hands full in Big 12 play..

kevpks
9/24/2007, 11:26 AM
Kansas will be either 9-2 or 10-1 heading into the game vs. Missouri.

KU potential losses= TAMU, Nebraska, Nebraska; or just Mizzou and Nebraska

I pull for KU in football but it is pretty laughable to say that games @ K-State, @ Colorado and @ OSU aren't potential losses.

Texas Golfer
9/24/2007, 11:34 AM
To assume that KU is not for real is to assume OU isn't either. The Jawhawks have been awesome against lesser foes as have we.

The real test begins now that we're into conference competition.

Widescreen
9/24/2007, 11:39 AM
You seem to forget that we're talking about the Big XII.

MiccoMacey
9/24/2007, 11:39 AM
To assume that KU is not for real is to assume OU isn't either. The Jawhawks have been awesome against lesser foes as have we.

Dammit Golfer, quit reading my mind and posting the exact same thing I was going to say before I have a chance.

I'll give you one more chance to behave...

:D

kevpks
9/24/2007, 11:43 AM

OU has a much better track record of success (defending Big XII champs) and our non-conference schedule, though not the strongest, is much better than KUs. KU will naturally have more doubters than OU, hence their ranking, or lack thereof. I guess we will just have to wait to settle the OU vs. KU debate in San Antonio. They do have an edge in the North...they don't play us.

Texas Golfer
9/24/2007, 11:47 AM
OU has a much better track record of success (defending Big XII champs) and our non-conference schedule, though not the strongest, is much better than KUs. KU will naturally have more doubters than OU, hence their ranking, or lack thereof. I guess we will just have to wait to settle the OU vs. KU debate in San Antonio. They do have an edge in the North...they don't play us.

I'm not saying that KU is anywhere near as strong as we are. I'm saying they are looking awfully good against the teams they are playing...as we are.

Texas Golfer
9/24/2007, 11:48 AM

I'm not saying that KU is anywhere near as strong as we are. I'm saying they are looking awfully good against the teams they are playing...as are we.

MiccoMacey
9/24/2007, 11:50 AM
Not a 100% fair accounting of Kansas. Regardless what they've done for the past 100 years, they seem to be good this year. History doesn't play a part here.

And while OU's SOS seems stronger, KU is still beating bad teams badly. I'm not saying they're BCS material, but they are playing well enough so far that they can be considered in the hunt for the North title.

Plus, Mangino has had some good defenses in the past. Usually they are hurt by a lack of offense.

MiccoMacey
9/24/2007, 11:50 AM
Dammit Golfer...that's TWICE!! :D

kevpks
9/24/2007, 12:11 PM
I'm not saying that KU is anywhere near as strong as we are. I'm saying they are looking awfully good against the teams they are playing...as are we.

Point taken. I concur that they and Mizzou look like the best teams in the North. I think we'll know a lot more about Kansas after they play at K-State in a few weeks.

The Maestro
9/24/2007, 12:15 PM
Well, all you can say for Kansas is this. They are averaging a 54-6 win through four games so no matter who they are playing they are crushing them. And the same Miami team that crushed aTm had beaten FIU 23-9 a week before Kansas beat them 55-3 this last week.

Mangino is trying to build the Jayhawks the same way Snyder built K-State.

snp
9/24/2007, 12:23 PM
Plus, Mangino has had some good defenses in the past. Usually they are hurt by a lack of offense.

Which is strange since Mangino is an offensive-oriented coach.

It's also important to note that KU and Missouri play each other at Arrowhead this year.

kevpks
9/24/2007, 12:23 PM
Well, all you can say for Kansas is this. They are averaging a 54-6 win through four games so no matter who they are playing they are crushing them. And the same Miami team that crushed aTm had beaten FIU 23-9 a week before Kansas beat them 55-3 this last week.

Mangino is trying to build the Jayhawks the same way Snyder built K-State.

And much like K-State they won't hit the national radar till they get a signature win or two. But I would say that Mangino should be off the hot seat. I am no football historian but when has Kansas looked this good against anybody?

RedGiant
9/24/2007, 12:48 PM
I can only imagine the giggles of delight that would shew forth if both The World's Greatest Offense AND the Kansas Jayhawks were to beat The Callenberger.

Salt City Sooner
9/24/2007, 01:52 PM
Given their play to this point, I'm wondering if the fact that they gave up their home game vs. Mizzou for a few more bucks might come back to bite them in the butt w/ a division title on the line.

The Maestro
9/24/2007, 01:56 PM
I would almost bet that there is a link to this on some KU message board as they get all giddy about the fact OU fans are talking about them.

Widescreen
9/24/2007, 02:42 PM
Do they have football message boards?

snp
9/24/2007, 03:40 PM
Do they have football fans?

opksooner
9/24/2007, 04:37 PM
Yawnnnnn.....when does basketball start?

mosoon
9/24/2007, 09:05 PM
Hey OPK, whatup dude? How's it been hanging? Old Sooner still around here anywhere?

1. KU is better on offense than defense this year.

2. Nowhere even close to OU - maybe as good as A&M or OSU if that helps.

3. Probably will go 8-4, outside chance at 9-3. That's a success in KU terms.

4. KU does not want anything to do with OU in a B12 championship game. Won't have to worry about it thought, I think KU will lose to MU and most likely KSU.

That is all, continue on. I'll post again in next year at this time.

critical_phil
9/24/2007, 09:12 PM
Dammit Golfer, quit reading my mind and posting the exact same thing I was going to say before I have a chance.

but were you thinking that in a giant bold font?

David Earl
9/24/2007, 09:15 PM
First, Frank is a boa wearing sissy.

Second, add my vote to those saying KU is better than last year and seems to be pretty good. I think the North race is a three team deal between them, KSU and Mizzou. I'm leaning toward KU right now because 1.) Pinkel finds a way... to lose the big one. 2.) KSU didn't beat Auburn who's struggling. 3.) KU has been sort of close a couple of times under Mangino.

Third, Frank is a boa wearing sissy.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 09:29 PM
Holy crap. All we need now is an oldsooner epic post and it'll be just like the old days.

mosoon
9/25/2007, 10:01 PM
I am not a Boa wearing sissy David. But I am a woman, and a dang fine one at that!

mosoon
9/25/2007, 10:03 PM
And gotta have pride, you have 20,921 posts on this board. Holy cow, do you have a job? I'm going to go back and re-read all of them to see what you've been saying!

OUMallen
9/25/2007, 10:04 PM
I'd rather have KU in the San Antonio than KSU or Mizzou. I REEEEEEALLY want NU, though.

David Earl
9/26/2007, 05:49 AM
But I am a woman!

...Hear her roar!

CitySooner
9/26/2007, 09:48 AM
This could be Mangino's best team yet, but the truth shall be known once conference play begins. Big advantage they have by not playing the Crimson or the Puke. Might be fun to have them and Mizzou play in the 'Big XII North Championship Game' in Kansas City to see who gets the pleasure of participating in the 'San Antonio Massacre'. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

David Earl
9/26/2007, 09:55 AM
[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Green"]Big advantage they have by not playing the Crimson or the Puke.

That right thurr is the key that will unlock the North title door for KU.

badger
9/26/2007, 09:56 AM
I'd say that they are a big program.
http://apudgeisasandwich.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/mangino-713282.jpg
They may not have the history, but they are ready for big time.
http://catzone.cjonline.com/images/103002/s.ku.jpg
They're undefeated against cupcakes, but soon they'll win some big games.
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/images/g_mangino_i.jpg
So look out, little guys. KU is gonna clobber you big time!
http://media.ljworld.com/photo/2005/10/15/1.JPEG.jpg
TWINKIE.
http://www.news.ku.edu/2007/may/23/images/mangino.jpg

Widescreen
9/26/2007, 09:59 AM
And gotta have pride, you have 20,921 posts on this board. Holy cow, do you have a job? I'm going to go back and re-read all of them to see what you've been saying!
Summary:

20,146 Heh's
715 Psychobabble
60 Posts that kind of make sense

YWIA!

David Earl
9/26/2007, 10:03 AM
20,146 Heh's

Heh.

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 10:09 AM
Double Heh.