PDA

View Full Version : How do we match up against...

BornandBred
9/24/2007, 09:53 AM
LSU?
I actually think we match up OK. From what I've seen, the strength of their D is pressure from the front 4 causing bad throws that get picked by their solid secondary. I think it will be a matchup of the best D-line vs the best O-line in the country. I'm hoping that with the way we are working in our 2's, we can rotate our front 5, stay fresh, and wear their fatboys down. I know their 1's are great, but I don't know about their depth. I don't beleive that VT was that great, and SC seemed to limit their offensive production. Hester doesn't scare me nearly as bad as Holiday. I think Reggie, maybe with a little safety support could shut Ducet down. I think it would be a great game.
24-21 OU

USC?
I don't buy the Booty hype, so I think if we can shut the run down, we can manage their offense. I think Paul Smith was better the Booty and we kept him from killing us, so even if they go airborn, I don't think we're in bad shape. Though the talent around Booty is much better than around Smith. I think it all comes down to our D-line. Can we get pressure with just the front 4? Hopefully, English says yes. And if the tackles can stop the bus sized holes USC created against Nebbish, our LBs can tee off. I think our offense can move the ball against just about anyone. If we are ever forced to go one dimensional, I truely think we may not miss a beat. Through the air, our tallented WR and TEs especially, will carry us. On the ground, I think we could manage pretty well behind the O-line with fresh backs every other play.
35-28 OU

Florida?
I have no real idea. I haven't seen them play much. I know the struggled recently, but I wonder how much of that was just Tebow having an off day?

I realize it's early. I know we have to win several games before we can think about a NC game. But this is why I love college football, the speculation. I am also fully willing to admit I'm a homer, so I'd like other's input.

Blitzkrieg
9/24/2007, 10:06 AM
Florida struggled to beat Ole Miss, a team Mizzou beat on the same field in much easier fashion about 2 weeks ago. They are living off a big win over Tennessee, but they are not any good either.

birddog
9/24/2007, 10:18 AM
heh. the Booty.

MextheBulldog
9/24/2007, 10:20 AM
Just know that lsu and suc have just as much talent as us if not more. And the difference in those two NC games (03 and 04) came down to QB play and defense. One further note: Champ game is in New Orleans. We all remember the hornets' nest that turned into with all the tiger fans....

kdawg
9/24/2007, 10:38 AM
Yep. Totally dominated in N.O. the last time.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 10:41 AM
That Sugar Bowl against LSU was a lot closer than most of you seem to recall. If our Heisman-winning QB had been healthy and the playcalling hadn't been so questionable for much of the game, we could have won that one. That game was a respectable loss, unlike when we got pantsed by USC.

BornandBred
9/24/2007, 10:44 AM
I think LSU would be the toughest competition, and playing them in NO would be difficult. But I also remember the '00 Orange Bowl, so I refuse to give up hope.

cheezyq
9/24/2007, 12:50 PM
Well, after watching LSU v SC last weekend, I think that LSU has too many NFL prospects on their team for us to contend with. Seriously, they have all their "I'm da man" celebrations down pat, which gives them a leg up on us in hype and future hall of fame careers in the NFL. I don't think anyone has a chance against them. They should win the MNC on their "tackle for 1-yard gain" celebrations alone.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/24/2007, 01:02 PM
Have you seen the size of the LSU guys? We'd get hammered.

Have you seen the speed of the USC guys? We'd get hammered not so much.

OU #3 team - IMO.

crawfish
9/24/2007, 01:05 PM
Yep. Totally dominated in N.O. the last time.

In Oklahoma, we don't consider a game "totally dominated" if we win by seven and the opposing team misses a TD pass by mere inches that would've tied the game late in the fourth quarter.

But hey, you guys without such standards feel free to crow.

The Maestro
9/24/2007, 01:05 PM
Have you seen the size of the LSU guys? We'd get hammered.

Have you seen the speed of the USC guys? We'd get hammered not so much.

OU #3 team - IMO.

Yes, I am sure Phil Loadholt and the boys would run and hide since LSU is so big! :rolleyes:

Oooh, and those USC speed demons would probably make DeMarco, Malcolm, JI and Reggie Smith feel like they had concrete shoes on! :rolleyes:

We might be third, but we can compete with anyone, anytime. We have as much size and speed and LSU and USC.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 01:14 PM
I like this team. I like their resolve.

Malcolm Kelly's Cousin
9/24/2007, 01:28 PM
Off topic, but is anyone watching College Football Live?

Announcer: Let's go over, "Who's number one". *Shows few minutes worth of video clips of Florida, then LSU, then USC*

Wow.

I love the Me(n)dia.

mizzOUstu702
9/24/2007, 01:30 PM
I just don't think LSU has the most consistent running game out of the supposed "top 3" (I mean, their top runner is fullback Jacob Hester...). If you force Flynn to pass, they do have the talent at receiver, but any decent secondary can shut down their air attack.

That's why I think Florida is fairly overrated this year. They don't have a traditional running game. They tend to rely on reverses, draws, and the tricks and schemes of the spread offense. Of course, they *did* win a MNC sans running game.

Dan Thompson
9/24/2007, 01:33 PM
The more I think about the play calling after we run the ball to the 13 yard line and then call 4 pass plays...

Then we get the ball back after stopping LSU and call 4 more pass plays...

I wonder if any of the other coaches had some words for Wilson.

kevpks
9/24/2007, 01:41 PM
LSU has a four game stretch (after Tulane) that will be pretty tough:
Sat, Oct 6 (4) Florida
Sat, Oct 13 at (14) Kentucky
Sat, Oct 20 Auburn
Sat, Nov 3 at (22) Alabama
If they make it through that, I will respect them. Until then, they are still just Lester State to me.

kevpks
9/24/2007, 01:42 PM
The more I think about the play calling after we run the ball to the 13 yard line and then call 4 pass plays...

Then we get the ball back after stopping LSU and call 4 more pass plays...

I wonder if any of the other coaches had some words for Wilson.

Chuck Long called the plays in that game, not Wilson.

SoonerSloan
9/24/2007, 01:47 PM
i think thats the problem with friday night games, you get so much exposure on friday night but by saturday you're pretty much last week's news unless you got upset

Collier11
9/24/2007, 01:49 PM
LSU vs OU: IMHO!

Qb-push, flynn has experience, while he isnt as good as bradford that could be huge in a big game atmosphere

OU's O-line vs D line-close push
LSU's O-line vs OU's D-line- LSU
LB's- OU
DB's- LSU
WR's-OU
RB's-OU
ST's-OU
Coaching- Stoops over miles slightly just based off of past matchups

So I have it 5-2 OU with two close matchups

BornandBred
9/24/2007, 01:57 PM
Coaching- Stoops over miles slightly just based off of past matchups

Lester is the one coach that seems like he can get up in Stoops's head. While I think Stoops is a much better coach overall, a battle against Lester scares me a little.

Collier11
9/24/2007, 03:21 PM
Lester is the one coach that seems like he can get up in Stoops's head. While I think Stoops is a much better coach overall, a battle against Lester scares me a little.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stoops is the better coach, but the Stoops-miles battles have often been good ones

TexSooner000
9/24/2007, 03:38 PM
Stoops all the way:texan: :texan:

TheHumanAlphabet
9/24/2007, 07:22 PM
Yes, I am sure Phil Loadholt and the boys would run and hide since LSU is so big! :rolleyes:

Oooh, and those USC speed demons would probably make DeMarco, Malcolm, JI and Reggie Smith feel like they had concrete shoes on! :rolleyes:

We might be third, but we can compete with anyone, anytime. We have as much size and speed and LSU and USC.

I would love to agree with you. I think position by position, we would match up well at certain positions against LSU, but I am not sure if we could dominate them for a complete game. Not to say LSU is upbeatable. They just looked huge in the games and highlights I have seen. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see OU match up against them.

OTOH, I think we could be better positioned against the condoms. We do have some fast backs and defenders, but they have nice team speed. I think we would have a better shot against the condoms.

PLaw
9/24/2007, 07:39 PM
Off topic, but is anyone watching College Football Live?

Announcer: Let's go over, "Who's number one". *Shows few minutes worth of video clips of Florida, then LSU, then USC*

Wow.

I love the Me(n)dia.

That's okay. After we got drilled by SUC, we don't deserve any respect. It's time to go back out there and earn it. Fortunately, I think this team has the stuff to do it.

BOOMER
PLaw

KC//CRIMSON
9/24/2007, 07:49 PM
I like this team. I like their resolve.

:les:yuck.

LSUdeek
9/24/2007, 08:10 PM

Good game that 1 math class which prevented Loadholt from attending LSU. :)

NO argument there.

LSUdeek
9/24/2007, 08:11 PM
In Oklahoma, we don't consider a game "totally dominated" if we win by seven and the opposing team misses a TD pass by mere inches that would've tied the game late in the fourth quarter.

Can't you give Travis Daniels credit for batting it away? :)

jeremy885
9/24/2007, 08:30 PM
Qb-push, flynn has experience, while he isnt as good as bradford that could be huge in a big game atmosphere

Who has Bradford played that has put any type of pressure on him? If he has a good game against tx, then I'll be a believer but until then he is a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN behind a solid OL, has great receivers, and a good set of running backs supporting him.

Cam
9/24/2007, 08:31 PM
Right now, I'd more worried about the Florida spread offense than the SC's or LSU's offense. Shore up the DB play against the spread and I'll change my mind.

TheHumanAlphabet
9/24/2007, 09:49 PM
You got a point there. Tulsa did a fine job last Friday. Lost some of the luster off the D last weekend. Not a doomsayer, but perhaps more realistic. If I were Mack, I'd be taking notes, but I don't think Colt is half the QB Smith is...

Collier11
9/24/2007, 10:22 PM
Who has Bradford played that has put any type of pressure on him? If he has a good game against tx, then I'll be a believer but until then he is a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN behind a solid OL, has great receivers, and a good set of running backs supporting him.

I guess Bradford doesnt make those passes then or read the defenses?? Who knew :rolleyes:

jeremy885
9/24/2007, 10:49 PM
I guess Bradford doesnt make those passes then or read the defenses?? Who knew :rolleyes:

What good defense has he played? It would have been interesting if the top Tulsa CB (who picked off his pass), wouldn't have gone out of the game with an injury in the 1st quarter. I'm just trying to be realistic. What other 1st year Freshmen QB has not had problems when he's faced a decent defense?

Collier11
9/24/2007, 11:06 PM
What good defense has he played? It would have been interesting if the top Tulsa CB (who picked off his pass), wouldn't have gone out of the game with an injury in the 1st quarter. I'm just trying to be realistic. What other 1st year Freshmen QB has not had problems when he's faced a decent defense?

Miami has a top 10 draft pick at safety and DE, they will also likely end up in the top 15 of total D (currently #18) in a BCS conf. Colorado has a decent defense (currently #19) so that will probably be his second test behind Miami thus far, true his O-line is a big reason for his success but that is true for any qb. If he plays well against COlorado on the road in a place where we traditionally play bad, I will def. be a believer!!

Collier11
9/24/2007, 11:07 PM
FYI- Texas is currently only #32

Crucifax Autumn
9/25/2007, 01:49 AM
This discussion is kinda silly...

First off, Bradford WON'T face any real pressure all season and in the bowl game it'll be the same whether it's any of the other front-runners. Our line is solid and as has been stated before, that's the key to QB success, particularly when it's a smart QB. And the times he has seen some pressure, he's generally done well on those plays.

Secondly...As I said in another post...We're the Sooners. We've suffered enough indignity in recent years and we will rise up and erase our recent turmoil and disappointment. This...and the next couple...is our year!

Boomer F'n Sooner!

Collier11
9/25/2007, 11:00 AM
This discussion is kinda silly...

I hate using facts do back up my arguments ;) but it is an easy point to make, yes we have a great O-Line and Sam probably wont have a game where he gets sacked more than twice all year, but that doesnt mean that we havent yet or wont face any tough D's and in those cases, he still has to make the throws, read the Defenses, and not force plays and thus far he hasnt done that!

Whet
9/25/2007, 02:27 PM
Imagine Austin English shakin' some Bootie!

r5TPsooner
9/25/2007, 02:40 PM
LSU?
I actually think we match up OK. From what I've seen, the strength of their D is pressure from the front 4 causing bad throws that get picked by their solid secondary. I think it will be a matchup of the best D-line vs the best O-line in the country. I'm hoping that with the way we are working in our 2's, we can rotate our front 5, stay fresh, and wear their fatboys down. I know their 1's are great, but I don't know about their depth. I don't beleive that VT was that great, and SC seemed to limit their offensive production. Hester doesn't scare me nearly as bad as Holiday. I think Reggie, maybe with a little safety support could shut Ducet down. I think it would be a great game.
24-21 OU

USC?
I don't buy the Booty hype, so I think if we can shut the run down, we can manage their offense. I think Paul Smith was better the Booty and we kept him from killing us, so even if they go airborn, I don't think we're in bad shape. Though the talent around Booty is much better than around Smith. I think it all comes down to our D-line. Can we get pressure with just the front 4? Hopefully, English says yes. And if the tackles can stop the bus sized holes USC created against Nebbish, our LBs can tee off. I think our offense can move the ball against just about anyone. If we are ever forced to go one dimensional, I truely think we may not miss a beat. Through the air, our tallented WR and TEs especially, will carry us. On the ground, I think we could manage pretty well behind the O-line with fresh backs every other play.
35-28 OU

Florida?
I have no real idea. I haven't seen them play much. I know the struggled recently, but I wonder how much of that was just Tebow having an off day?

I realize it's early. I know we have to win several games before we can think about a NC game. But this is why I love college football, the speculation. I am also fully willing to admit I'm a homer, so I'd like other's input.

Booty is overrated IMO. During one of the college football games last weekend (maybe the OU game) one of the announcers said he had picked Booty preseason to be a finalist for the Heisman. Then the announcer says not anymore because SC runs the ball too much.

I was kind of like wtf?

BornandBred
9/25/2007, 02:52 PM
USC seems to be able to do no wrong. They get no production with their QB, and it's because their RB's are good. It seems to happen a lot to whoever the media darling is that year.

FormerSoonerProf
9/26/2007, 01:43 PM
We got hammered by USC - Pete Carroll outcoached Bob Stoops in the NC game. I still burn when I think about that game!!! Miles with the talent he has now at LSU could also be Stoops' equal ... Unless OUr coaching staff do their homework and prep the players, without giving any intel away, we may find ourselves with a tough challenge with both USC and LSU... It aint gonna be easy!

The_Red_Patriot
9/26/2007, 01:54 PM
South Carolina doesnt have an offense an they put 16 up on LSU at home.

I think we match up against both very well.

Also, I get tired of hearing "OU was dominated by LSU in the 04 Sugar bowl"

Give me a break.

21-14. They won on a defensive touchdown and if Chuck Long wouldnt have had the Prevent Offense working smoothly, we would have won.

Best quote ever came from a hornfans.com thread
"come one, we all know that was one of the most dominating 7 pt wins ever" -- wow, I would never call a 7pt win domination.

That doesnt even make since

BOOK EM HORNS

LSUdeek
9/27/2007, 12:41 AM
South Carolina doesnt have an offense an they put 16 up on LSU at home.

We were falling down on defense in the mud.

I think we match up against both very well.

Also, I get tired of hearing "OU was dominated by LSU in the 04 Sugar bowl"

Give me a break.

21-14. They won on a defensive touchdown and if Chuck Long wouldnt have had the Prevent Offense working smoothly, we would have won.

Best quote ever came from a hornfans.com thread
"come one, we all know that was one of the most dominating 7 pt wins ever" -- wow, I would never call a 7pt win domination.

That doesnt even make since

BOOK EM HORNS

I don't think you'll hear from any LSU fan on this board that you were dominated. I'd say we controlled the game for 3 quarters and had some conditioning problems in the 4th. You are right, Chuck Long should have run Kejuan until he fell down.

birddog
9/27/2007, 01:07 AM
i know they are different teams in a different year but if we face usc i'll be having serious flashbacks. i just feel like we're fragile now in big games and at some point we have to change that.

hopefully this is the year.

Cam
9/28/2007, 08:58 PM
You are right, Chuck Long should have run Kejuan until he fell down.
That's the smartest thing I've ever read/heard from an LSU fan.

stoopified
9/28/2007, 10:03 PM
LSU?
24-21 OU

USC?
35-28 OU

Florida?

Against USC,we kick Booty.

douxpaysan
9/28/2007, 11:39 PM
Florida will be in the NC game. I believe they match up well with LSU. It may be tough to beat Lester twice but they are the only team in the SEC that could do it. Tons of respect for Urban Meyer. We need SUC to lose...because I think sports politics being what it is, an undefeated Condom team will be hard to unseat.

Crucifax Autumn
9/29/2007, 03:06 AM
We may need only one to lose, but we WANT them all to lose!

Screw 'em all, if they wanted to be champions they'd have come to OU.