PDA

View Full Version : Typical interaction with usc fan . . .

OK2LA
9/23/2007, 08:34 PM
I'm at a festival today in the South Bay, and I'm at the Directv booth catching the scores on the late games, and this guy sees my OU shirt.

sc guy: "So what do you think of Saban?"

ok2la: "He's a good coach. I think he'll bring ALABAMA back to where they once were."

scguy: (After realizing that I'm not wearing an Alabama shirt - I guess) "Yeah, you guys look good as well."

He then hands me a card, that is a complete knock-off of Citi-Group's card, and he's hawking insurance - he just started his company, and tomorrow is their first day :D . He starts in about how they are going to do this and that; mentions that he's an sc alum - and if I need any financial advice. I nod, and then tell him that I'll keep his card.

scguy: "Yeah, that Orange Bowl game. That was a great game! I mean not for you guys, but man."

ok2la: "I wouldn't say it was a great game, but congratulations again. You guys deserved to win. Best of luck."

Is it me, or if you're trying to sell somebody something, would this be the first thought process of trying to get through to someone?

Like you guys in Oklahoma - I'm sure you've walked into many a place where an avid OSU fan is the decision maker/gate keeper (yeah, yeah - I know - insert aggy joke here) I'd think that going to the "football card" first, and stating that you're a Sooner fan isn't the best approach.

SoonerSalesGuy: "Hi. Oh, I see you're a Cowboy fan. How allsome was it when we've whipped your asses for the last 100 years. Would you like to buy some widgets?"

I just laughed, and moved on. I think that many of these guys have a complex about not coming out of the Palmer/Leinart/Bush/et al years without more than one BCS Championship trophy.

Aries
9/23/2007, 08:58 PM
I was talking about this with a friend from California just a week or so ago. I think they don't have the animosity toward Oklahoma fans generally speaking that OU fans do toward them. In my admittedly limited experience, they just think of OU as another football team, but not particularly a "rival".

Dan Thompson
9/23/2007, 09:37 PM
When OU becomes #1 or #2 and might play USC then I am sure the LA Times will have some comment about the Oklahoma fans be ing backwards and living in the middle of the dust bowl, etc, etc.

The only time OU is mentioned in the paper out here is when they are trying to have a laugh or for a put-down.

They also try very hard not to mention OJ and USC in the same article. On the other hand they did say they had 7 Heisman(sp) trophes in the awards displays. I thought Goodman had OJ's.

---

I would have said something about Vince Young...

or how Texas held the valuted USC running game on 4th down.

CtheB
9/23/2007, 09:56 PM
You should have told him that if we only had one national championship, we'd probably remember it too.

freshchris05
9/23/2007, 10:33 PM
heh.. Last year whenever usc got beat by ucla, this vacuum salesman came over and was trying to sale me a vacuum while I was watching the game. I invited him inside, told him I was watching the usc game and he told me that hes from LA and is a big usc fan. He used to sneak into the colliseum and all that jazz.. So i was like "hey you want to finish the game, its 4th quarter its close, what the hell," he said sure. So this whole time i'm laughing and watching him squirm and at the end of the game my brother comes into the living room and says did you see usc get their a$$ beat, I started laughing. The salesman gets affended and brings up the Orange Bowl and starts talking sh*t, so i tell him to do the free cleaning and leave heh..

i mean wtf, "sure mr. obnoxious trojan, i'd love to buy and help you win a free trip to hawaii by buying a vacuum from you as you trash talk my sooners"

RedGiant
9/23/2007, 10:40 PM
You should've told him if it wasn't for the Dust Bowl Days and Route 66 there wouldn't be enough good genetic material left in California to qualify them for anything more than chimps.

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 10:42 PM
They also try very hard not to mention OJ and USC in the same article. On the other hand they did say they had 7 Heisman(sp) trophes in the awards displays. I thought Goodman had OJ's.
There are two trophies per year, one goes to the player and the other one goes to the school.

tulsaoilerfan
9/23/2007, 11:10 PM
There are two trophies per year, one goes to the player and the other one goes to the school.
Yup, what he said, but i think USC should do the right thing and sell that one also and give the money to the Goldman family; if OJ was an OU player(shudder), i wouldn't want a damn thing of his in my trophy case

Crucifax Autumn
9/24/2007, 12:35 AM
You should've told him if it wasn't for the Dust Bowl Days and Route 66 there wouldn't be enough good genetic material left in California to qualify them for anything more than chimps.

Damn...Beat me to it!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2007, 12:49 AM
I was talking about this with a friend from California just a week or so ago. I think they don't have the animosity toward Oklahoma fans generally speaking that OU fans do toward them. In my admittedly limited experience, they just think of OU as another football team, but not particularly a "rival".They have MAJOR scoreboard on us, that's why. They would be more emotional about us if we had whacked them more often in the past.

KantoSooner
9/24/2007, 01:22 AM
Take the card and drop it into any 'win a free lunch' bucket at the slimiest restaurant you can find. That'll be sure to 'help' him with that new business. Get him on all the right mailing lists.
Have a happy.

goingoneight
9/24/2007, 01:30 AM
Have you ever been to Talahassee? Oh, boy... those people hate them some OU. It happens when you get whacked by someone. You just don't like them until you avenge it. And some choose to hate on FSU when we've never lost to them before. People are just weird.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/24/2007, 01:35 AM
Have you ever been to Talahassee? Oh, boy... those people hate them some OU. It happens when you get whacked by someone. You just don't like them until you avenge it. And some choose to hate on FSU when we've never lost to them before. People are just weird.OU has Bobby Bowden's number. We lost to them back in the '60's, when Fred Biletnikoff played for them, and they passed us silly that day(before Bowden became coach). They haven't beaten us since then.

OK2LA
9/24/2007, 10:53 AM
heh.. Last year whenever usc got beat by ucla, this vacuum salesman came over and was trying to sale me a vacuum while I was watching the game. I invited him inside, told him I was watching the usc game and he told me that hes from LA and is a big usc fan. He used to sneak into the colliseum and all that jazz.. So i was like "hey you want to finish the game, its 4th quarter its close, what the hell," he said sure. So this whole time i'm laughing and watching him squirm and at the end of the game my brother comes into the living room and says did you see usc get their a$$ beat, I started laughing. The salesman gets affended and brings up the Orange Bowl and starts talking sh*t, so i tell him to do the free cleaning and leave heh..

i mean wtf, "sure mr. obnoxious trojan, i'd love to buy and help you win a free trip to hawaii by buying a vacuum from you as you trash talk my sooners"

That basically sums it up right there.

soonerhubs
9/24/2007, 02:01 PM
It'd be a nice rematch if we played SUC in the Sugar Bowl.