PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Miata

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 07:51 PM
So, I'm tired of this damned truck. I'm close to buying a Mazda Miata from this chick who is getting a new car. I believe it's a '95 or something and supposedly runs like new. I'm going to test drive it a bit and such, but is there anything horrible about Miata's that I should know?

Newbomb Turk
9/23/2007, 07:54 PM
is there anything horrible about Miata's that I should know?

nope - it will be perfect for you.

Tiptonsooner
9/23/2007, 07:54 PM
If you have to ask.............

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 07:55 PM
nope - it will be perfect for you.
I think so as well. It's also a manual and I miss driving a stick.

It gets great gas mileage, and as long as it runs well then I'll be satisfied.

Jimminy Crimson
9/23/2007, 07:59 PM
Don't do it.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:00 PM
Don't do it.
Why? I'll Republicanize it.

OUAndy1807
9/23/2007, 08:01 PM
ok, I'm convinced that Sic'em is not a real person.

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 08:03 PM
Log Cabin Republicanize it maybe.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:06 PM
Here's a pic of it:
http://bin.baylor.edu/virtual_market/images/items/1277605523.jpg

Mongo
9/23/2007, 08:08 PM
are you Chris Crocker?

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:10 PM
are you Chris Crocker?
No.
I didn't know the Miata was considered a gay car.

yermom
9/23/2007, 08:20 PM
it kinda is.

it's certainly a step up in the man direction from the Beetle though ;)

they are supposed to be a blast to drive. they don't have a lot of power, but they handle really well.

they are way too small for me though, my legs rub the steering wheel just sitting in the thing. you would probably fit fine, i think.

i don't know much about the Miata's reliability, other Mazda's have issues. mostly the rotary engines and auto transmissions though, and this has neither

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:23 PM
it kinda is.

it's certainly a step up in the man direction from the Beetle though ;)

they are supposed to be a blast to drive. they don't have a lot of power, but they handle really well.

they are way too small for me though, my legs rub the steering wheel just sitting in the thing. you would probably fit fine, i think.

i don't know much about the Miata's reliability, other Mazda's have issues. mostly the rotary engines and auto transmissions though, and this has neither

Spek. I should fit fine. I'm vertically challenged.

I still don't get the gay car thing. I don't see what it is about a car that can make it gay other than the color. This is silver and silver isn't gay.

proud gonzo
9/23/2007, 08:24 PM
when i saw a thread titled "mazda miata" on the forum list, I KNEW it had to be SicEm. I'm sad I was right.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:31 PM
:sigh:

Viking Kitten
9/23/2007, 08:46 PM
I have this mental image of Sicem be-bopping around in his Miata singing along to "Wake Me Up! Before You Go-Go..." like in Zoolander before they blew up the gas station.

yermom
9/23/2007, 08:51 PM
the gas fight was the only good thing about that movie

and i don't really think the Miata is that ghey, i mean a lot of SCCA/auto-x guys drive them

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:55 PM

and i don't really think the Miata is that ghey, i mean a lot of SCCA/auto-x guys drive them

I don't know what that is.
Nonetheless, I don't think it's gay either. I just spoke to the girl who is selling it. I'm going to give it a test drive later in the week. I'm totally pumped about having a standard again.

sanantoniosooner
9/23/2007, 08:58 PM
It's ghey.

No doubt about it.

You can probably get an after market bud vase so you'll feel more at home.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 08:59 PM
It's ghey.

No doubt about it.

You can probably get an after market bud vase so you'll feel more at home.

There's nothing inherently gay about a car. It's all about who is driving it.

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know what that is.
Nonetheless, I don't think it's gay either. I just spoke to the girl who is selling it. I'm going to give it a test drive later in the week. I'm totally pumped about having a standard again.
If you are buying a small car from a chick, it's probably ghey.

sanantoniosooner
9/23/2007, 09:01 PM
wrong Sic'em

And people that fail to understand the difference are doomed to justify their orientation repeatedly.

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 09:03 PM
If you don't believe google gay cars and Miata. It's in the Top 10.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 09:09 PM
If you don't believe google gay cars and Miata. It's in the Top 10.
It's not on there and that's the stupidest list I've ever read. They have a freakin' charger and escalade listed.

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayproductreviews/a/cars2007.htm

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 09:11 PM
It's not on there and that's the stupidest list I've ever read. They have a freakin' charger and escalade listed.

http://gaylife.about.com/od/gayproductreviews/a/cars2007.htm
http://www.gay.com/style/auto/package.html?coll=news_feature&sernum=503&page=2

proud gonzo
9/23/2007, 09:13 PM
ok, i was just reading a review of the Mazda Miata. (which was apparently quoted from the link that RF just posted)

1) The site tried to get me to take a survey for gay.com.
2) "Cargo space--A 5.1-cubic-foot trunk will not hold a lot, maybe two medium-sized duffels. That means you'll either have to take your boyfriend's car to the White Party or send your bags with your friends. There is, however, enough room for a toaster oven (sans the box)."
3) It suggested a mini-cooper as a good alternative

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.gay.com/style/auto/package.html?coll=news_feature&sernum=503&page=2
You seem pretty familiar with this website/article.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 09:16 PM
ok, i was just reading a review of the Mazda Miata. (which was apparently quoted from the link that RF just posted)

1) The site tried to get me to take a survey for gay.com.
2) "Cargo space--A 5.1-cubic-foot trunk will not hold a lot, maybe two medium-sized duffels. That means you'll either have to take your boyfriend's car to the White Party or send your bags with your friends. There is, however, enough room for a toaster oven (sans the box)."
3) It suggested a mini-cooper as a good alternative

What is a white party?

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 09:17 PM
You seem pretty familiar with this website/article.
I have had multiple gay roommates. They love small sporty cars. It doesn't take too much to find supporting evidence. In addition, they have also been asked to be bridesmaids in weddings too.

Viking Kitten
9/23/2007, 09:18 PM
Are you all totally missing the fact that Sicem keeps mentioning how much he enjoys handling a stick?

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 09:20 PM
Are you all totally missing the fact that Sicem keeps mentioning how much he enjoys handling a stick?
:sigh:

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 09:27 PM
I just asked Melo about this.

[21:25] Frosty at Baylor: i'm about to have my nightly cigar and beer
[21:25] Frosty at Baylor: question
[21:25] Frosty at Baylor: is a miata gay
[21:26] Melo: No
[21:26] Melo: Lol
[21:26] Melo: Only if you paint it pink
[21:26] Melo: A black one would look hawt
[21:26] Frosty at Baylor: YES!
[21:26] Frosty at Baylor: i'm quoting you

proud gonzo
9/23/2007, 09:38 PM
What is a white party?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Party

SoonerStormchaser
9/23/2007, 09:40 PM
So, I'm tired of this damned truck. I'm close to buying a Mazda Miata from this chick who is getting a new car. I believe it's a '95 or something and supposedly runs like new. I'm going to test drive it a bit and such, but is there anything horrible about Miata's that I should know?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Seriously, are you that willing to advertise the fact you have a small wang by buying a convertible? :rolleyes: :cool: :D

OUinFLA
9/23/2007, 10:03 PM
There's nothing inherently gay about a car. It's all about who is driving it.

Then, I guess it doesn't much matter what type of car you get.

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 10:08 PM
i don't know much about the Miata's reliability, other Mazda's have issues. mostly the rotary engines and auto transmissions though, and this has neitherThe FWD automatics are a bit tender, but the RWD manuals are solid, my 89 Bronco II had a Mazda 5-speed in it and never had any trouble and it had the original clutch when it was sold with 178,000 miles. The rotaries are fine if you don't try to hop them up too much. I had a bone stock 1990 RX-7 that I traded in for my F-150 when I moved down here. It had 170,00 miles on it and there was nothing wrong with the motor, it just need the other parts (clutch, brakes, exhaust, etc.) that a 170,000 mile car needs and my wife had a Civic so we thought we didn't need two small cars. Miatas are strong, solid cars mechanically.

I am not a truck guy, I prefer cars but the pickup is too handy to have. I have been considering getting a Miata to autocross it and migrate it into a Spec Miata race car. I think the earlier models were a bit more "feminine" but the later models were upgraded with stronger everything. I have seen more guys driving them in recent years than I do women and I know more women who drive Mini's than Miatas. There are also other cars that I am considering doing this same thing with but the Miata is among the strongest contenders for price/performance. I am 6'2"/270 and I am a bit tight in them but it still has more room than a Honda S2000, so that is one reason why I am looking at other options.

critical_phil
9/23/2007, 10:28 PM
that mullet dude on TV is in the middle of sticking a V8 into a miata.

and speaking of gayness, i got a fancy invitation from Volvo for the unveiling of the C30. according to the invite, they will be serving fine wines and whores d'ovaries.

i'm thinking of going.

SicEmBaylor
9/23/2007, 10:51 PM
Mechanical reliability and the high mpg are big selling points here.

LoyalFan
9/23/2007, 11:32 PM
If you are under 5'11" you might fit comfortably in the Miata. There is NO tilt wheel in this model and that can be an issue for some.
Take into careful consideration the age and condition of the top. Replacement can be costly. Unless your domicile has an enclosed garage you are risking a slashed top as well. Punks like to target ragtops.

Anyway, you'll beam with pride each time you goose step outta yer macrame' class to hop gracefully into yer "new" Miata, turn the tiny key and...Vroomsie...Vroomsie!

Be careful, Sicster, you will be at risk in traffic in that thing. Almost everything else will be bigger and heavier and some folks may not even see you.

LF

GottaHavePride
9/23/2007, 11:36 PM
The Miata's just kind of a girly car, dude. As a sports car it's too small, doesn't have enough power, and its styling is decidedly feminine.

Personally, I'd have to amputate myself at the knee to fit in one of those things.

sanantoniosooner
9/23/2007, 11:45 PM
The Miata's just kind of a girly car, dude. As a sports car it's too small, doesn't have enough power, and its styling is decidedly feminine.

Personally, I'd have to amputate myself at the knee to fit in one of those things.
I'd have to amputate something else to get one of those;)

CatfishSooner
9/24/2007, 12:29 AM
Miata ..very gay

yermom
9/24/2007, 01:44 AM
The FWD automatics are a bit tender, but the RWD manuals are solid, my 89 Bronco II had a Mazda 5-speed in it and never had any trouble and it had the original clutch when it was sold with 178,000 miles. The rotaries are fine if you don't try to hop them up too much. I had a bone stock 1990 RX-7 that I traded in for my F-150 when I moved down here. It had 170,00 miles on it and there was nothing wrong with the motor, it just need the other parts (clutch, brakes, exhaust, etc.) that a 170,000 mile car needs and my wife had a Civic so we thought we didn't need two small cars. Miatas are strong, solid cars mechanically.

I am not a truck guy, I prefer cars but the pickup is too handy to have. I have been considering getting a Miata to autocross it and migrate it into a Spec Miata race car. I think the earlier models were a bit more "feminine" but the later models were upgraded with stronger everything. I have seen more guys driving them in recent years than I do women and I know more women who drive Mini's than Miatas. There are also other cars that I am considering doing this same thing with but the Miata is among the strongest contenders for price/performance. I am 6'2"/270 and I am a bit tight in them but it still has more room than a Honda S2000, so that is one reason why I am looking at other options.

have you thought about a WRX? ;)

i haven't gotten to say that in a while :D

one of the huge things i noticed going from my Civic to the Impreza was the head room, there is a lot of room for the driver in those cars, i wasn't constantly having to bend my neck or slouch just to drive

Jimminy Crimson
9/24/2007, 02:56 AM

A I'm With Fred sticker wouldn't look right on the Miata.

They might actually think you're with a guy named Fred. :twinkies:

proud gonzo
9/24/2007, 04:21 AM

Personally, I'd have to amputate myself at the knee to fit in one of those things.I don't even know if I'D fit into one of those cars. :rolleyes: :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/24/2007, 06:29 AM
When I was in my early 20s I thought they were ok for guys to drive. Now, not so much.

frankensooner
9/24/2007, 09:44 AM
My wife had a little Mazda when we got hitched. That thing was a blast to drive. I have known a couple of guys who drove Miatas. They were short skinny doods with thinning hair. And they were all straight, but with chick issues. I think it is a good fit for you.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 12:11 PM
A I'm With Fred sticker wouldn't look right on the Miata.

They might actually think you're with a guy named Fred. :twinkies:

I scribble his name in my spiral notebook over and over again.

critical_phil
9/24/2007, 12:29 PM
I scribble his name in my spiral notebook over and over again.

replace the name "Fred" with the name "Chad" and i guarantee you that's a true story.

Pricetag
9/24/2007, 12:57 PM
Miatas aren't gay, they're just female. Some cars are just chick cars. Here are some others:

Pontiac Fiero
Ford Probe
Honda Del Sol
Geo Storm
Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser

OUinFLA
9/24/2007, 12:58 PM
replace the name "Fred" with the name "Chad" and i guarantee you that's a true story.

down here where I live, a chad is something we consider hanging.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 02:58 PM
I just test drove the thing. I love it!

It sits pretty freakin' low to the ground, but I love it.

sanantoniosooner
9/24/2007, 03:07 PM
I bet you look fabulous in it.

You can drive it to the park and frolic in the meadow.

IB4OU2
9/24/2007, 03:20 PM
I just test drove the thing. I love it!

It sits pretty freakin' low to the ground, but I love it.

That's thpecial...

OCUDad
9/24/2007, 03:31 PM
I'd have to amputate something else to get one of those;)Fortunately, that won't be a problem for SicEm.

47straight
9/24/2007, 03:57 PM
I swear that SIc'em is just putting us on 3/4 of the time.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 04:06 PM
I swear that SIc'em is just putting us on 3/4 of the time.

I really am serious about this.

The girl has another guy and some chick interested in the car. She'll take the highest amount offered, so I have to wait and see what everyone else is offering.

C&CDean
9/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Oh hell no.

Dude, chicks drive Miatas. Men do not. Ever. But you already knew that when you started the thread. My only question is why do you need to bring this type of attention on yourself?

There are other ways to get noticed than by jumping up and down banging on a pot screaming "I shoulda been born a chick!!"

I'd call you a fag, but that probably isn't true. I'm pretty sure you haven't scored with either team.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 04:34 PM
Oh hell no.

Dude, chicks drive Miatas. Men do not. Ever. But you already knew that when you started the thread. My only question is why do you need to bring this type of attention on yourself?

There are other ways to get noticed than by jumping up and down banging on a pot screaming "I shoulda been born a chick!!"

I'd call you a fag, but that probably isn't true. I'm pretty sure you haven't scored with either team.

I never asked if the car was gay or not. That is purely unsolicited advice. I wanted to know if there was anything inherently wrong with Miata's from a mechanical and/or design standpoint that I should be aware of.

C&CDean
9/24/2007, 05:50 PM
I never asked if the car was gay or not. That is purely unsolicited advice. I wanted to know if there was anything inherently wrong with Miata's from a mechanical and/or design standpoint that I should be aware of.

Mechanically? Yeah, there is. The driver's seat is wedged to fit your vagina. Anybody with a penis can't sit in one of those POS.

It's pretty obvious you're immune to criticism, and don't really care if you look/act/feel/smell/talk/type/live like a complete and total pantywaist. So go ahead on and fulfill your Miata fantasy. Just don't get ****ed when rednecks wanna pull you over and go bigfoot on your face and your chickmobile. Don't act like you weren't warned or anything.

TMcGee86
9/24/2007, 05:58 PM
I have offically passed over into the "SicEm is a fraud" group.

He had me going for a while, but lately it's just too obvious.

There is no way that you dont know that a freaking miata is a chick/gaydude car.

You just jumped the shark.

Sooner Eclipse
9/24/2007, 05:59 PM

Look, I don't comment much on SO but if you want advice about the design standpoint, don't buy it. It is the automotive version of a flip-flop. Stick with the steel toed boot. If you spend any time on the interstate, and it sounds like you do, you don't want to be caught dead in that thing.

Besides, it sounds like you need help just to keep your man card validated, this won't help. But it might get you a few free drinks on ladies night.

OUinFLA
9/24/2007, 06:02 PM
Look, I don't comment much on SO but if you want advice about the design standpoint, don't buy it. It is the automotive version of a flip-flop. Stick with the steel toed boot. If you spend any time on the interstate, and it sounds like you do, you don't want to be caught dead in that thing.

Besides, it sounds like you need help just to keep your man card validated, this won't help. But it might get you a few free drinks on ladies night.

He spends too much time on the interstate.

First he goes 100 miles in the wrong direction, then he travels back 100 miles in the opposite direction(which this time is the correct direction to travel to his destination)

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:06 PM
I've been on the phone all day with the girl who is selling this negotiating a price sort of. There's this chick who also wants it so we've had something of a bid war all day long.

I've never negotiated for a car before though, and I think I screwed myself over by telling the girl what my max bid was instead of going up incrementally and "faking" this other chick out. I don't know how to do this!

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:14 PM
Seriously, I have no clue how to negotiate the price of something and I'm being 110% sincere when I say I could use some help here.

IM on AIM (FrostyatBaylor) or PM me!

sanantoniosooner
9/24/2007, 07:20 PM
Offer your coach purse to sweeten the deal.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:24 PM
:-(

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:25 PM
I really hope I get this car.
It seems there's some skepticism so I'll take a pic of me smoking a cigar and leaning on the hood in a thoughtful manner.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 07:25 PM
You start well below what you're willing to pay. they likewise will start with numbers higher than what they want to get. Eventually the two parties will meet somewhere in the middle.

And on a used car, I wouldn't do much negotiating. There could be all sorts of things about to go wrong with it that you won't have a warranty for.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:29 PM
You start well below what you're willing to pay. they likewise will start with numbers higher than what they want to get. Eventually the two parties will meet somewhere in the middle.

And on a used car, I wouldn't do much negotiating. There could be all sorts of things about to go wrong with it that you won't have a warranty for.

This other girl who wants the car as well has already driven the price up on me by 500.00

sanantoniosooner
9/24/2007, 07:30 PM
Tell her she looks fat in that outfit.

Rogue
9/24/2007, 07:41 PM
ok, I'm convinced that Sic'em is not a real person.

My first thought. EXACTLY! SicEm is the new SoonerWill for sure.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 07:44 PM
This other girl who wants the car as well has already driven the price up on me by 500.00
It has ceased to be a negotiation. This is what you call a bidding war. The only considerations here are: exactly how much are you willing to pay for this car, and is that number more or less than what the other girl is willing to pay.

Oh, and you admitted that you are a girl. I'm gonna buy you this t-shirt.

http://files.redvsblue.com/web/images/store/shirts/kissboys_big_guys.jpg

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be caught dead in burnt orange.

OUinFLA
9/24/2007, 10:08 PM
why dont you make friends with the girl bidding against you.
impress her with your willingness to step back and let her have the vehicle.
then tell her you're on the rebound as your ex dominatrix dumped you for another guy, and what you would really like to do is get to go out in the car you are giving up, just one time. And to make it worth her while, you will spring for dinner for her that evening you let her take you out in the car.
Then if you play your cards right, maybe after a few drinks and some silly talk during the evening, maybe she will let you................

piitb.
:D

You didnt really think I was gonna get all sappy with you did you?

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 10:10 PM
why dont you make friends with the girl bidding against you.
impress her with your willingness to step back and let her have the vehicle.
then tell her you're on the rebound as your ex dominatrix dumped you for another guy, and what you would really like to do is get to go out in the car you are giving up, just one time. And to make it worth her while, you will spring for dinner for her that evening you let her take you out in the car.
Then if you play your cards right, maybe after a few drinks and some silly talk during the evening, maybe she will let you................

piitb.
:D

You didnt really think I was gonna get all sappy with you did you?

The more I think about this though the more I'm thinking that MAYBE there isn't another girl and this is an elaborate scheme to screw me out of more money. The girl kind of plays dumb about how to sell a car, but I'm thinking that this other chick possibly doesn't exist at all.

If that were the case it'd be like any other date -- with myself.

sanantoniosooner
9/24/2007, 10:14 PM
Screwing you is the last thing a girl would try.

OUinFLA
9/24/2007, 10:15 PM
heh.
Look Sic, if you really want the car, check out kb.com or edmunds.com and determine the true value of the vehicle. NOT THE "I REALLY WANT THIS CAR" value.
Offer the lady that price and if she doesnt take it, then WALK AWAY!

The only cars Ive ever thought I got screwed on were the one's "I REALLY WANTED THAT CAR". So, I paid too much.

Remember, there was more than one Miata made that year. In fact there are a bunch of them driving around Key West. And, I assume San Francisco too.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 10:20 PM
The more I think about this though the more I'm thinking that MAYBE there isn't another girl and this is an elaborate scheme to screw me out of more money. The girl kind of plays dumb about how to sell a car, but I'm thinking that this other chick possibly doesn't exist at all.

This is your long-suppressed Man Sense going off. Part of your brain is shouting "this car is not worth that much money! run away now and buy a 1968 GTO!"

Respect the Man Sense.

olevetonahill
9/24/2007, 10:27 PM
Mechanical reliability and the high mpg are big selling points here.
A REAL MAN would rather have a truck. Even if it is an uglyass Dodge !

rufnek05
9/24/2007, 10:31 PM
SicEm. you know how I know you're ghey.

I'm close to buying a Mazda Miata

sanantoniosooner
9/24/2007, 10:32 PM
SicEm. you know how I know you're ghey.
he provided cheezy puffs instead of Cheetos?

SoonerGirl06
9/24/2007, 10:33 PM
The real question you need to ask yourself SicEm is "Can I wear my tinfoil hat when the top is down?"

:D ;)

olevetonahill
9/24/2007, 10:35 PM
I've been on the phone all day with the girl who is selling this negotiating a price sort of. There's this chick who also wants it so we've had something of a bid war all day long.

I've never negotiated for a car before though, and I think I screwed myself over by telling the girl what my max bid was instead of going up incrementally and "faking" this other chick out. I don't know how to do this!
OOOOHHHHHH Bitch fight !!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D
The other chick Pawns you !:D

olevetonahill
9/24/2007, 10:38 PM
This "other" girl who wants the car as well has already driven the price up on me by 500.00
Sicem you are Priceless !:D :D :D :D
Other Girl ?:D

tommieharris91
9/24/2007, 11:05 PM

Are you negotiating with Scott Boras? If you really want the car at a good deal, find a Kelly Blue Book, take down the price, change it (but keep it within reason), and don't budge when you give her offer.

Ohh, and I think it's a gay car, too.

bluedogok
9/24/2007, 11:22 PM
have you thought about a WRX? ;)

i haven't gotten to say that in a while :D

one of the huge things i noticed going from my Civic to the Impreza was the head room, there is a lot of room for the driver in those cars, i wasn't constantly having to bend my neck or slouch just to drive
Nope, I am looking for something to turn into a race car in the next 1 to 2 years, the WRX doesn't really fall into any decent classification to be decently competitive without spending huge amounts of money. If I was going to do rally, it would be at the top of the list. A BMW E36 model is the most likely candidate, there is a Spec E36 class in NASA and BMWCCA racing although a Z3 is interesting as well....kind of a grown up Miata.

SicEm - there are Miatas everywhere, if you want one they are pretty easy to find.

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 11:24 PM
Nope, I am looking for something to turn into a race car in the next 1 to 2 years, the WRX doesn't really fall into any decent classification to be decently competitive without spending huge amounts of money. If I was going to do rally, it would be at the top of the list. A BMW E36 model is the most likely candidate, there is a Spec E36 class in NASA and BMWCCA racing although a Z3 is interesting as well....kind of a grown up Miata.

SicEm - there are Miatas everywhere, if you want one they are pretty easy to find.

This one is going to be mine. I'm not going to let some chick outbid me on this. If I have to pay 20,000 then it's going to be mine!

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 11:29 PM
20,000 for a 1995 Miata?

Dude, that's retarted. Blue book trade-in on a 1995 Miata MX-5 M-Edition convertible, 85,000 miles, 5-speed manual, in excellent condition, is $3,800.

MR2-Sooner86
9/24/2007, 11:29 PM
The Miata is a damn good car. I was thinking of getting one but I came across a deal I couldn't refuse and now drive my '01 MR2, which is considered to be the Miata's competition.

If it's a manuel then I wouldn't worry about anything mechanical going wrong. I've heard the automatics are iffy.

They get good gas milage so that's another good thing.

As for performance, this isn't a Ferrari. Now they handle VERY well, not as good as a MR2 but still good ;)

Finally, to the guys saying it's a gay car, well they obviously know nothing about cars. So I wouldn't worry about their opinion.

P.S. I hope you know there are kits out there to fit a LS1 into that thing. Makes it fast as hell.

MR2-Sooner86
9/24/2007, 11:32 PM
20,000 for a 1995 Miata?

Dude, that's retarted. Blue book trade-in on a 1995 Miata MX-5 M-Edition convertible, 85,000 miles, 5-speed manual, in excellent condition, is $3,800.

I would expect something like that if this were a Supra, not a Miata. You'd be paying as much as the thing was brand new. Way too much unless the thing was garage kept AND had been rebuilt front to back. I highly doubt it though.

yermom
9/24/2007, 11:44 PM
he didn't say that was what she wanted, just that he was dumb and willing to pay that ;)

SicEmBaylor
9/24/2007, 11:45 PM
The Miata is a damn good car. I was thinking of getting one but I came across a deal I couldn't refuse and now drive my '01 MR2, which is considered to be the Miata's competition.

If it's a manuel then I wouldn't worry about anything mechanical going wrong. I've heard the automatics are iffy.

They get good gas milage so that's another good thing.

As for performance, this isn't a Ferrari. Now they handle VERY well, not as good as a MR2 but still good ;)

Finally, to the guys saying it's a gay car, well they obviously know nothing about cars. So I wouldn't worry about their opinion.

P.S. I hope you know there are kits out there to fit a LS1 into that thing. Makes it fast as hell.

Spek! Excellent post. This post is definitely a diamond in the rough.

yermom
9/24/2007, 11:49 PM

what kind of work are you talking about that's cheaper on a BMW?

olevetonahill
9/24/2007, 11:57 PM
Yall get off the Kelley Blue book crap and Edmonds
those sites are for suckers
N.A.D.A. Is the Only value to go by in this part of the the world .
Sicem I can get ya Nice Gay miata fer around 1500 to 2000
Are you say ing your gonna BEND over to a chick ?:mad:

olevetonahill
9/25/2007, 12:02 AM
SicemIve got a car a chick says she will pay More for than you
Send me a deposit Ill hold the car fer ya
:rolleyes:

Jimminy Crimson
9/25/2007, 12:51 AM
Seriously, SicEm, if you want to get a Miata (and are willing to pay $20,000 to get in one), there are much better deals to be had. Just go talk to a used car dealer and tell him how much you want to spend and he'll get you something without screwing you. As much.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/25/2007, 07:03 AM
Maybe he wants to be screwed.

1stTimeCaller
9/25/2007, 07:32 AM
SicEm's parents are going to buy him the car, that's why he doesn't care what it costs.

Lame.

proud gonzo
9/25/2007, 07:57 AM
Maybe he wants to be screwed.oh, i think he's desperate to be screwed, but that's another subject.

SicEm, if you're actually willing to pay that much for that car, you're a ****ing idiot.

Viking Kitten
9/25/2007, 08:50 AM
Spek! Excellent post. This post is definitely a diamond in the rough.

Oh look! Sicem found a newbie who hasn't yet figured out he's completely full of ****! WTG, Sicem!

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2007, 10:24 AM
Does it have four wheels?
Does the air conditioning work?

What the hell then....

A car's a car.

mdklatt
9/25/2007, 11:31 AM
Does it have four wheels?
Does the air conditioning work?

What the hell then....

A car's a car.

Says somebody who almost certainly drives a Lexus or Mercedes....

:texan:

Jimminy Crimson
9/25/2007, 12:33 PM

I'd guess a BMW.

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2007, 12:33 PM

HA! I have a Pinto AND a Yugo in my driveway! :D

Sic.. don't let these mean ole Okies get to you.. you just go right ahead and buy that purdy deathtrap..err... car.

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 12:39 PM
I definatly wouldnt want to be in something like that in the event of a wreck. Noooo way.

OklaPony
9/25/2007, 01:51 PM
Miata's are definitely gay-ish cars... unless they're Monster Miatas:

http://www.monstermiata.com/v8Miata_Image.asp?theType=Car&theHeader=V8Miata%20Photos&thePage=CarPhotos

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2007, 01:54 PM
Miata's are definitely gay-ish cars... unless they're Monster Miatas:

http://www.monstermiata.com/v8Miata_Image.asp?theType=Car&theHeader=V8Miata%20Photos&thePage=CarPhotos
nobody said you couldn't do steroids if you were gay.

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/fashion/12cars.html?ex=1334030400&en=d2e81cadfa3517dd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 03:03 PM
I GOT THE CAR!

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 03:06 PM
I've got to ask. What did she set ya back?

GottaHavePride
9/25/2007, 03:07 PM
Congratulations. May I now call you a ninnyhammer? ;)

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 03:07 PM
where is the pic of you and the cigar standing thoughtful before your new wheels.

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 03:08 PM
I've got to ask. What did she set ya back?

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 03:09 PM
where is the pic of you and the cigar standing thoughtful before your new wheels.
LOL, the funny thing is that's EXACTLY the pic I'm planning to take.

It'll have to wait until this evening though. I don't get out of class until 5:00 and then I'm hitting up happy hour with a friend of mine.

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 03:09 PM
Did it come with spinners? :D

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 03:11 PM
Did it come with spinners? :D
I don't know what those are.

TexasLidig8r
9/25/2007, 03:24 PM
I don't know what those are.

Women about 5'0" 100 lbs. :D

soonernation
9/25/2007, 03:30 PM

Dollars?

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 03:33 PM
Dollars. Bones, Clams.

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 03:35 PM
I think he means 1400 two dollar bills! ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/25/2007, 03:40 PM
I'm gonna sit here and wait for Dean.

proud gonzo
9/25/2007, 03:41 PM
that's what I was thinking

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 03:42 PM
Dood when you finish school or when you finish this semester for that matter. How in the hell are you going to move all your stuff in a miata?

JohnnyMack
9/25/2007, 03:48 PM
Dood when you finish school or when you finish this semester for that matter. How in the hell are you going to move all your stuff in a miata?

He won't have to pack that much stuff to take with him on his gay cruise.

I imagine a banana hammock, some lube and his copy of Fried Green Tomatoes would all fit in the glove compartment.

C&CDean
9/25/2007, 03:55 PM
I GOT THE CAR!

How cute. When they finish transplanting hair from your head onto your pre-pubescent vagina and start the male hormones your transformation into a full-fledged female will be complete. Congratulations Baylorette!!

Check back with us in 6 months. Let us know how Miata ownership is going for you. By then you'll probably be tired of giving knobbers to young Baptist boys......or not. No offense sicem, but if you're even half for real, you're one lame it. For reals.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/25/2007, 03:57 PM
*snicker*

IB4OU2
9/25/2007, 04:25 PM
*snicker*

Where have you been? Iv'e missed you....of course I was gone for a while too.

OUinFLA
9/25/2007, 07:11 PM
hang on to the pickup truck to tow the Miata into the dealership with.

Have you ever towed a car?

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 07:15 PM
Have you ever towed a car?

*snicker*

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 08:02 PM
Well, I like the car.
I'll post a pic tomorrow. It's dark now, and I got home too late to take one.

C&CDean
9/25/2007, 08:03 PM
If you're smart (which you ain't) you'll keep that POS in a garage during daylight hours and only drive it after dark. Just send us a black picture.

SicEmBaylor
9/25/2007, 08:07 PM
:-\ It's really not that bad....

sanantoniosooner
9/25/2007, 08:10 PM
http://www.occams-razor.info/images/3dollarbill_807.jpg

C&CDean
9/25/2007, 08:12 PM
:-\ It's really not that bad....

No, it really is that bad. A man couldn't buy a more feminine car if he tried. They don't build them. Even your beetle is a machomobile compared to a Miata.

If you drive that POS to Norman for the game, I'm going to turn it upside down.

bluedogok
9/25/2007, 09:18 PM
Conrats SicEm, they are fun little cars.

what kind of work are you talking about that's cheaper on a BMW?
In SCCA racing the STi is in T2 with the BMW M3/Coupe, Camaro, Mustang Cobra, Lotus Elise/Exige, Lancer EVO, Pontiac Solstice GXP, Porsche Boxster S, Toyota Supra and others. The regular WRX is in T3 against the Audi TT Quattro, 01-04 Mustang GT, Honda S2000, Mazda RX-8 and others. If I was going to run something in that class it would be the RX-8, they pretty much dominate it. Those are classes where guys run multiple engines, balanced/blueprinted, modified ECU's, etc. Most guys who are competitive in those classes are spending stupid money (100K+ a season) for a plastic trophy.

What I am looking at is the Spec E36 class or IT (Improved Touring) class in SCCA, these are classes with very limited mods (mainly suspension) designed to keep costs down and competition somewhat equal. The E36 are the 3-Series models from 1991-1999, so they are pretty reasonable price wise.

BudSooner
9/25/2007, 09:21 PM
Don't buy it, get a Dodge truck.

MR2-Sooner86
9/25/2007, 11:20 PM
If you're smart (which you ain't) you'll keep that POS in a garage during daylight hours and only drive it after dark.

Is there something I should know about here? Seems to be a lot of hostility towards driving a Miata. Is said guy just not liked on the board or is the majority here automotiveneophytes?

Don't buy it, get a Dodge truck.

Don't forget to get some high performance muffler bearings as well.

yermom
9/25/2007, 11:28 PM
Dean thinks anyone not in a truck is gay, it's nothing new ;)

MR2-Sooner86
9/25/2007, 11:30 PM

Hmmm I wonder then what he thinks about what I drive...

olevetonahill
9/26/2007, 12:27 AM
If ya have to ask . He and the rest of us will prolly think its Ghey !:pop:

TexasLidig8r
9/26/2007, 09:19 AM

Hell Dean thinks if you don't kill a bear with your bare hands, sinking your teeth into its neck as the death blow, then stripping it, again, with your hands and a dull Campbell's soup can lid, then using the bear skin as a rug, eating all the meat, while the entire time, doing your woman in the butt while singing Closer My God to thee.. you're gay. :)

C&CDean
9/26/2007, 09:37 AM

If a "MR2" is a BMW then I think it's one of the biggest POS on the road. I'm a mechanic by trade. I've worked on them all. There's not a good european car out there. And most fall into the really crappy car category. I ain't no "neophyte" and you can keep your nasty mouth shut since this is a family board and all.

I think little sports cars are fine on a track somewhere. Hell, I've owned a Triumph Spitfire (never was a bigger POS made) and a Datsun 2000 (pretty cool little car). I just think that men who drive them around town are girly as hell. And a Miata is the girliest of the girly cars. There's nothing cool, suave, or even interesting about them. They're ugly little chickmobiles for people who can't afford more expensive little chickmobiles - like BMWs, Audis, Volvos, Mercedes, etc.

This isn't opinion, this is fact. And if you own a little sports car I sure hope you also own a truck to haul it home with.

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 09:40 AM
You told me you were a lumberjack.

C&CDean
9/26/2007, 09:41 AM
You told me you were a lumberjack.

You misunderstood. I said "don't bite it JohnnyMack."

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 09:42 AM
I hate you.

colleyvillesooner
9/26/2007, 10:27 AM
I FOUND VIDEO OF SIC'EM DRIVING HIS CAR!!!!

CLICK!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu17T6sle5A)

nsfw language (a-hole)

frankensooner
9/26/2007, 10:30 AM
for some reason I am imagining a mary kay pink miata

MR2-Sooner86
9/26/2007, 10:30 AM
If ya have to ask . He and the rest of us will prolly think its Ghey !:pop:

Don't need to ask, I know it's awesome-o! :pop:

If a "MR2" is a BMW then I think it's one of the biggest POS on the road.

Toyota.

I'm a mechanic by trade. I've worked on them all.

There's not a good european car out there.

Koenigsegg CCX?
BMW M3?
McLaren F1?
Porsche Carrera GT?

I could go on all day. Unless you get a Ford GT or a Z06 you go to Europe to get your super car looks and style.

you can keep your nasty mouth shut since this is a family board and all.

Nasty mouth?

I just think that men who drive them around town are girly as hell. And a Miata is the girliest of the girly cars. There's nothing cool, suave, or even interesting about them. They're ugly little chickmobiles for people who can't afford more expensive little chickmobiles - like BMWs, Audis, Volvos, Mercedes, etc.

:pop:

This isn't opinion, this is fact.

Fact? Thanks for clearing things up for me.

And if you own a little sports car I sure hope you also own a truck to haul it home with.

You know I don't. I'm going to go out today and buy me a brand spankin new Ford F-350. Don't need it but I guess I'm suppose to have it.

colleyvillesooner
9/26/2007, 10:42 AM
:pop:

GottaHavePride
9/26/2007, 10:42 AM
Koenigsegg CCX?
BMW M3?
McLaren F1?
Porsche Carrera GT?

I could go on all day. Unless you get a Ford GT or a Z06 you go to Europe to get your super car looks and style.
Dean wasn't talking "good" as in "goes fast and looks good". Dean meant "good" as in "doesn't break and costs less than $1,000 a shot to repair if it ever does break". In which case "good" = Nissan Maxima.

Nasty mouth?
Welcome to SoonerFans. The "act like a hillbilly that thinks neophyte is a dirty word" act is what passes for humor around here. ;)

Frozen Sooner
9/26/2007, 10:49 AM

Perfect front to back weight distribution. Makes it really nice for SCCA events.

frankensooner
9/26/2007, 10:54 AM
I thought good meant Toyota, well except for the mid-engine Toyotas. ;)

birddog
9/26/2007, 11:07 AM
did you ever get that fancy scooter you were eyeing? that would definitely be the way for you to go.

C&CDean
9/26/2007, 12:33 PM
Toyota.

Toyotas are good. I've got no problem with them. I own two of them in fact.

Koenigsegg CCX?
BMW M3?
McLaren F1?
Porsche Carrera GT?

Dude, I ain't talking about going to the little SCCA tracks on the weekends. I'm talking about driving to work every day, etc. And putting brakes and such on them. They're reliability is **** poor, and it costs a brazillion bucks to do anything to them.

Nasty mouth?

Doesn't a neophyte like it in the pooper?

Fact? Thanks for clearing things up for me.

You're welcome.

You know I don't. I'm going to go out today and buy me a brand spankin new Ford F-350. Don't need it but I guess I'm suppose to have it.

Everybody needs a truck. Even little sports car freaks.

proud gonzo
9/26/2007, 02:27 PM
I love it when n00bs try to argue with Dean :D

frankensooner
9/27/2007, 12:34 PM
so, where it the pic of sic wearing a tu tu in front of his new car?

TMcGee86
9/27/2007, 02:29 PM
Maybe it was too dark last night as well.

That's the problem with fake cars, it's hard to get them to show up on a camera.

Viking Kitten
9/27/2007, 03:15 PM
Too bad it's so easy to get fake posters to show up on a message board.

achiro
9/27/2007, 03:16 PM
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread but the only way a miata isn't completely gay is if you do something like Stacey David of Gearz TV on ESPN

http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?em2044=125678_-1__0_~0_-1_4_2007_0_0&content=shows

Go to the "check out pics from this episode area and look at what he did to the white miata, its the pic of the black car at the raceway. Has a big-o ford motor in it as well.

frankensooner
9/27/2007, 03:39 PM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z178/fastnap/1miata.jpg

OklaPony
9/28/2007, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm, still no photo?

proud gonzo
9/28/2007, 07:27 PM
omg:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6172/miatagayuh2.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/28/2007, 07:35 PM
Survey Finds Miata Gayest Car— Mazda Resolved to Butch it Up (http://fakegaynews.com/index.php/2006/05/survey-finds-miata-gayest-car/)

by Dennis Ayers 05/09/2006 http://fakegaynews.com/wp-content/photos/miata.jpg

Motor Trend magazine recently conducted a nationwide public opinion survey in which respondents were asked to name the gayest car on the road. An astounding 72% of all respondents named Mazda’s convertible roadster, the Miata, as the gayest car in America.

When reached for comment, Mazda Motors president, James O’Sullivan, expressed surprise at the survey results. “The Miata is the crown jewel of our fleet. I can assure you it is not now, nor has it ever been gay. Erm, not that there’s anything wrong with that.”

When asked his thoughts on how the public might have gotten the wrong impression about Mazda’s sporty, mid-priced roadster, O’Sullivan grew reflective. “I mean, sure, we do offer the car in bright purple….. And yes, the onboard GPS comes pre-programmed with Bob Damron’s Men’s Travel Guide…. And uhm, it does ship with a factory-applied HRC bumper sticker…. But the Miata gay? That’s just plain crazy.”

Even so, O’Sullivan says car enthusiasts can expect some design changes with the 2007 model.

“The Miata convertible has been a flagship model for us, but based on this survey it’s clear we need to butch it up a little. Our design engineers are already at work and trust me, it’s going to be a total rebuild! All testosterone, with powerhouse V8 engine, monster car mag wheels standard. Even a gun rack on the back hood.”

soonerboomer93
9/28/2007, 08:26 PM
This one is going to be mine. I'm not going to let some chick outbid me on this. If my parents have to pay 20,000 then it's going to be mine!

fixed it

oh, and you could buy a new one for that price

soonerboomer93
9/28/2007, 08:32 PM
No, it really is that bad. A man couldn't buy a more feminine car if he tried. They don't build them. Even your beetle is a machomobile compared to a Miata.

there so better be pics of this, since I'm sponsoring that tailgate but won't be in the states...

soonerboomer93
9/28/2007, 08:36 PM
my first thought at seeing it was, this thread was still alive? wtf?

then I saw it had pure dean greatness, and my day was improved...