PDA

View Full Version : Student Sections

SelmaBamaFan
9/23/2007, 11:59 AM
Ok, I know this is classless, or whatever. After the game Saturday while Georgia was celebrating their win (they scored their last TD in front of the student section), our students showered them with plastic cups.

Some of the Bama fans are making a HUGE deal out of this, and im like meh... they're students. They're s'posed to be rowdy. It wasnt like they were throwing batteries like CU (I think) students did a few years back. Some of the Bama fans think the students should have gotten arrested for it.

I'd like yalls take on this. No one got hurt, but it was obviously a poor showing of sportsmanship. IMO, its a student section acting like most student sections in the country.... a bit drunk and a lot crazy, or maybe the other way around.

Suerreal
9/23/2007, 12:07 PM
Back in the 1970s there were a lot of oranges to come flying out of the Sooner student section, mostly after the first OU touchdown. This was because of the Big 8's contract with the Orange Bowl for the Big 8 champion to play there. They weren't thrown at anyone, just onto the field, but were a problem as far as slippery field conditions later. It was enough of a problem that the dorm cafeterias quit putting out oranges on game day.

But I don't remember anyone throwing things at the opposing team.

snp
9/23/2007, 12:12 PM
There are much better things in life to worry about than 18-22 year old drunks students acting like retards.

reevie
9/23/2007, 12:30 PM
Oh yeah, opposing teams were targets of oranges, back in the day. I vividly remember seeing oranges bouncing off helmets and shoulder pads.

As for plastic cups, classless...possibly. but it's not mean spirited or harmful

cvsooner
9/23/2007, 12:49 PM
I was a sophomore in 1975, and my seat was in the northeast corner of the end zone, and down pretty close to the field...row 12 or something like that. Man, I remember at the Nebraska game that year, oranges raining down from above. It was pretty cool...until one of them hit me in the back of the head from about 50 rows up. Had a headache for two days, and (unfortunately) not from alcohol.

yermom
9/23/2007, 12:49 PM
sounds harmless enough to me

Seamus
9/23/2007, 01:00 PM
It's low-class, low-rent and aggot to rain stuff down on the other team. End of story.

Win or lose, show some class. Just another example of why society is ****ed up beyond repair.

RacerX
9/23/2007, 04:32 PM
It's low-class, low-rent and aggot to rain stuff down on the other team. End of story.

Win or lose, show some class. Just another example of why society is ****ed up beyond repair.

[hairGel]

OUinFLA
9/23/2007, 04:47 PM
this year we should be throwing sugar cubes.

I dont know how anyone can complain too much about that.

or, in my case packets of Equal

Piware
9/23/2007, 05:12 PM
Ok, I know this is classless, or whatever. After the game Saturday while Georgia was celebrating their win (they scored their last TD in front of the student section), our students showered them with plastic cups.

Some of the Bama fans are making a HUGE deal out of this, and im like meh... they're students. They're s'posed to be rowdy. It wasnt like they were throwing batteries like CU (I think) students did a few years back. Some of the Bama fans think the students should have gotten arrested for it.

I'd like yalls take on this. No one got hurt, but it was obviously a poor showing of sportsmanship. IMO, its a student section acting like most student sections in the country.... a bit drunk and a lot crazy, or maybe the other way around.

As noted in other posts, we have thrown our share of oranges in celebration of another trip to the Orange Bowl. Throwing anything at a visiting team is just not good, especially when your team is on the losing end. Give them a pass this time and let them know it won't be tolerated again. You all are, after all, Alabama and with that comes a reputation of class and graciousness regardless of the score. Roll Tide.

AzianSooner
9/23/2007, 05:17 PM
I used to throw bricks toward hornfans so I think all stdents allowed to throw whatever they want.

GreaterState
9/23/2007, 05:23 PM

:D Visualizing flying packets of Equal cracks me up. Maybe they should sponsor the bowl; it might be an all-time marketing coup.

I was going to say that throwing tortillas would be pretty harmless, but then maybe if they were spinning ... and caught you edge-on in the eye ...

snp
9/23/2007, 05:24 PM
Let's hope Tampax nevers sacks up and sponsors a bowl game :eek:

SelmaBamaFan
9/23/2007, 05:35 PM

heh

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2007, 05:42 PM

As a student, I was always hoping for the ginsu knife bowl, of the Michelin Tire bowl:D

tommieharris91
9/23/2007, 06:21 PM
The Acme Brick Bowl
The Urine Bag Bowl
The Blow Up Doll Bowl

silverwheels
9/23/2007, 06:32 PM

I hope we do better than the Sugar Bowl.

starclassic tama
9/23/2007, 07:24 PM
i get tired of hearing the word classy thrown around so much in football. football is not a classy game. it's a violent nasty game where the object is to inflict harm on the other team. now this doesn't mean that it should be ok for fans to throw harmful things at other players, but come on. plastic cups aren't hurting anyone. you know who has classy fans? duke, baylor, etc... you know who also has terrible football teams? duke, baylor, etc...

OUinFLA
9/23/2007, 07:30 PM

The "Up-Yours Bowl"

KantoSooner
9/23/2007, 07:31 PM
I can remember frozen oranges in the '80's. Not fun.

also, the Rugby elevens in Hong Kong are fun: the Aussies always have a supply of inflatable sheep to send over at the New Zealanders. Get's 'em all hot or something.

freshchris05
9/23/2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/f/fat_joe_make_rain_060912/a.jpg

making it rain?

freshchris05
9/23/2007, 11:52 PM
chocolate rain? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA)

Seamus
9/24/2007, 03:08 AM
Worst song evar.

EVAR!

Jacie
9/24/2007, 05:51 AM
Remember when OU had a card section over in the student seats? Had to have been early 70's, maybe 73. So last game of the season, the kids are through with the cards and began to throw them like frisbees. Fun and games, eh? Well, those cards were some pretty heavy cardstock. When they came spinning down you did not want to be under it. There was talk of disciplinary measures but I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. But that was the last of the card section.

ruf/nekdad
9/24/2007, 08:06 AM
I agree with Seamus when he said "It's low-class, low-rent and aggot to rain stuff down on the other team. End of story."
Still sticks in my mind what a class act Tuscaloosa, the fans and team were when OU played there. Its fairly unique, I'd try to hang on to it.