PDA

View Full Version : People who have even a passing interest in history...

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 10:37 AM
Time for one of the most highly anticipated documentary series of the modern era.

If you liked Ken Burns's 1990 documentary miniseries, "The Civil War" on PBS, then better cue up your video recorder/TiVo starting tonight, Sunday, September 23, to watch and record Burns's latest documentary epic, "The War", which gives World War 2 the same treatment that Burns did to another conflict in his "The Civil War".

Regarding the language in it; this one might not be for little kids.

Here's a news story about "The War": www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20876965/

Here's PBS's official website for "The War": www.pbs.org/thewar/

Got seven nights and 15 hours to spare?

JohnnyMack
9/23/2007, 10:49 AM
Got seven nights and 15 hours to spare?

No, but I have a dvr, patience and a month or so to get through it. :D

Definitely in.

47straight
9/23/2007, 03:27 PM
The communist reviewers on NPR were not big fans, mostly I think because they don't like to be reminded that sometimes America does the right thing by going to war.

Newbomb Turk
9/23/2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks homey. I'm definitely watching some of this.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/23/2007, 03:39 PM
The communist reviewers on NPR were not big fans, mostly I think because they don't like to be reminded that sometimes America does the right thing by going to war.This means you listen to NPR?

StoopTroup
9/23/2007, 03:43 PM
Who won?

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 03:55 PM
Regarding the language in it; this one might not be for little kids.

:(:mad:

:D Thanks for the info, I plan on watching a little bit of it.

Widescreen
9/23/2007, 07:31 PM
Who won?
USC. Duh.

critical_phil
9/23/2007, 07:44 PM
No, but I have a dvr, patience and a month or so to get through it.

me too, but that also brings about a tough decision as to which things to duhlete.

Rogue
9/23/2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the PSA, Homey. Burns is recording these warriors voices in another project. By far one of my greatest honors has been knowing some of these men and women as grandparents, great-uncles, neighbors, and friends. Working at the VA I have gotten to know many WWII vets and families through their last years. Brokaw got it right, 'The Greatest Generation' indeed. So much for the Cowboys game.

JohnnyMack
9/23/2007, 07:48 PM
me too, but that also brings about a tough decision as to which things to duhlete.

Easy. Her stuff. :D

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 09:25 PM
First Night: Stunning. Powerful. Awe Inspiring.

I wish every American with eyes to see and ears to hear could see this thing.

9/24/2007, 01:23 AM
I watched it. All the Ken Burns shows are well done. Interesting that he laid the blame on lack of readiness for Pearl Harbor on MacArthur, rather than FDR.(I don't claim to know the truth about it)

Okla-homey
9/24/2007, 05:15 AM
I watched it. All the Ken Burns shows are well done. Interesting that he laid the blame on lack of readiness for Pearl Harbor on MacArthur, rather than FDR.(I don't claim to know the truth about it)

My sense was the program blamed the Philippines lack of readiness on Dec 8 on MacArthur. That's at least partially fair. Mac had known about Pearl for 6-8hrs before the first bomb fell on Manila.

Harry Beanbag
9/24/2007, 07:05 AM
I watched most of it. To tell you the truth, I found myself getting kind of bored at times. Maybe it was just the familiarity with the subject matter. I'll continue to watch it though.

SoonerJack
9/24/2007, 08:16 AM
I watched it too. I liked the four cities approach. The lady from Mobile's accent is just awesome. Her brother, the Marine, was good too.

There were some very graphic images, though. The kind that take you from amazement to dispair in a heartbeat, from no tears to tears immediately.

Veritas
9/24/2007, 08:30 AM
My sense was the program blamed the Philippines lack of readiness on Dec 8 on MacArthur.
Yeah, that one could be debated until the end of time. William Manchester placed the blame on MacA, D. Clayton James absolved him (sorta), and Geoffrey Perret blamed Washington.

I've not watched last nights episodes yet, but it'll be interesting to see how it's handled.

MacA is one of my favorite five characters from the 20th century. Massively flawed and massively brilliant; I've got a Life magazine from September 17, 1945 hanging in my office.

Okieflyer
9/24/2007, 08:47 AM
I've been looking forward to it.

Okla-homey
9/24/2007, 09:30 AM
I watched it too. I liked the four cities approach. The lady from Mobile's accent is just awesome. Her brother, the Marine, was good too.

She is member of the Auburn University Class of 1944. I thought that was kinda cool.

r5TPsooner
9/24/2007, 10:36 AM
"The War" = damn good. Most people could learn a lot from this show. Plus it was in HD.

OCUDad
9/24/2007, 10:40 AM
Ditto. Powerful stuff. I'm hooked.

9/24/2007, 10:54 AM
Interview with the former marine or army soldier that said they took some Jap prisoners into the jungle and shot them. I'm waiting for the outrage from the American left.

47straight
9/24/2007, 03:48 PM
This means you listen to NPR?

I wasn't driving.

9/24/2007, 03:54 PM
I wasn't driving.Whew! That's a relief.

picasso
9/24/2007, 05:34 PM
It was good but I was disappointed in the footage. They played the same thing over a few times.

Rogue
9/24/2007, 07:04 PM
Interview with the former marine or army soldier that said they took some Jap prisoners into the jungle and shot them. I'm waiting for the outrage from the American left.

The man's (marine I think) tone wasn't one of pride, but of regret.
He said something like "we were supposed to be the good guys."

This is some great TV. Strange to hear the credits "Corporate sponsorship for 'The War...' and "Major funding for 'The War.'

My great uncle, an Italian, is also nicknamed 'Babe.' He floated through the Panama canal in the USN and recently took a cruise with his wife through there again.

Rogue
9/24/2007, 07:07 PM
Has anyone evar taken Russia in the winter?

9/24/2007, 07:25 PM
The man's (marine I think) tone wasn't one of pride, but of regret.
He said something like "we were supposed to be the good guys."

I didn't get the feeling he was all that remorseful, like he felt the sumbitches shouldn't have decapitated our men and stuffed their genitals in their mouths if they expected humane treatment in return.
So, as a liberal, do you think congress should investigate the accusations of that marine?

Rogue
9/24/2007, 07:28 PM
I have no opinion about your opinion that I care to share Rush. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

I do, however, enjoy Burns' use of silence.

9/24/2007, 07:37 PM
I have no opinion about your opinion that I care to share Rush. Go pick a fight somewhere else.

I do, however, enjoy Burns' use of silence.I think you have implicitly stated your opinion. I agree with you on Burns' ability to not make his personal opinions obvious.

9/25/2007, 12:31 AM
Tonight's episode: that poor bastage from Mobile who made it through the Bataan Death March, then was a prisoner in Japan, and had a Jap major almost slice his throat with a sword is one tough mofo. I hope he got beaucoup medals and honors.

picasso
9/25/2007, 11:28 AM
darn I just caught the tail end of it last night. I'm not sure most people realize what kind of fighting we faced in Italy.
Camden's G'pa ran an artillery battery there with the 45th outta Norman. He says they were surrounded one time on top of a mountain.:eek:
He also was in the near vicinity of one Ernie Pyle on an occasion when ole Ern was nearly hit by our own fire whilst flying in a plane.

SoonerJack
9/25/2007, 11:52 AM
I've got to get home in time today to watch last night's episode before tonight's starts.

Rush, I agree with your assessment that the gentleman didn't appear remorseful for what they had done with the prisoners. And I am glad that dude was on our side, he probably still kicks *** and takes names.

Veritas
9/25/2007, 12:54 PM
So, as a liberal, do you think congress should investigate the accusations of that marine?
Don't try to start that up in this thread. Keep on the subject of the documentary.

47straight
9/25/2007, 01:19 PM
Don't try to start that up in this thread. Keep on the subject of the documentary.

Seems like he is discussing a very interesting part of the documentary.

9/25/2007, 03:02 PM
Don't try to start that up in this thread. Keep on the subject of the documentary.My question was one that can logically be asked. The subject is war.

Harry Beanbag
9/25/2007, 05:04 PM
I thought last night's episode was better than the first. The air war over Europe has always been one of the most fascinating storylines from WWII. Bloody, brutal, and unforgiving, but vitally important to the invasion of Fortress Europe and the ultimate Allied victory.

Call me unsympathetic or whatever, but I think too much time has been spent on the internment of Japanese-Americans so far. Not saying that wasn't an embarassing era of American history or anything like that, I just don't think it was that important in the grand scheme of WWII. But it's not my film so I'll still keep watching it.

soonerscuba
9/25/2007, 05:17 PM
My question was one that can logically be asked. The subject is war.

Just quit, seriously. Liberals and Conservatives both died, both did heroic things, and both did things I'm sure they would like to forget, war sucks, we won, and stopped a couple of evil men. Bringing whether or not a modern political movement would or would not take a certain position is petty, we get it, you don't like liberals... enough already.

OCUDad
9/25/2007, 05:36 PM
Just quit, seriously. Liberals and Conservatives both died, both did heroic things, and both did things I'm sure they would like to forget, war sucks, we won, and stopped a couple of evil men. Bringing whether or not a modern political movement would or would not take a certain position is petty, we get it, you don't like liberals... enough already.Spek.

9/25/2007, 05:44 PM
Just quit, seriously. Liberals and Conservatives both died, both did heroic things, and both did things I'm sure they would like to forget, war sucks, we won, and stopped a couple of evil men. Bringing whether or not a modern political movement would or would not take a certain position is petty, we get it, you don't like liberals... enough already.It's not that I don't like liberals, as much as it is to keep vigilant, and to realize there continue to be forces who want political power at ANY cost to our country.
One should note that the POTUS during WW2 was Democrat, and investigations of torture, cruelty and barbarism did NOT take place at that time, as far as I know. In our current war, those type of investigations do take place, and the POTUS is not Democrat.

soonerloyal
9/25/2007, 08:27 PM
For all the sons and daughters, husbands and wives, friends and loved ones who serve...who volunteer...who give...who bleed - and who die. And for all those who send them, and love...

THANK YOU. WE KNOW. AND WE SHALL NOT FORGET.

Rogue
9/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Yup, Italy was some tough ground to take.

The internment of the Japanese-Americans is an important contrast to how the Japanese treated POWs. The 'bushido code' interpreted at the time that prisoners were less than human for being captured or surrendering rather than dying honorably or committing hari kari.

Aren't we still losing something like 1,000 WWII vets a day?

Okla-homey
9/26/2007, 07:25 AM
I thought last night's episode was better than the first. The air war over Europe has always been one of the most fascinating storylines from WWII. Bloody, brutal, and unforgiving, but vitally important to the invasion of Fortress Europe and the ultimate Allied victory.

Call me unsympathetic or whatever, but I think too much time has been spent on the internment of Japanese-Americans so far. Not saying that wasn't an embarassing era of American history or anything like that, I just don't think it was that important in the grand scheme of WWII. But it's not my film so I'll still keep watching it.

Ken Burns does dwell on racial things. However, I've heard him explain it this way. For folks who were raised on "The Little Golden Book of American History," in which all the heroes were perfect and we always did the right thing, it's important to realize that is just not accurate.

In fact, all our heroes were flawed, and in many instances, they were just ordinary people who did the best they could under the circumstances. Sometimes they goofed or did things that to us seem barbaric, cruel or crazy.

Personally, I think it's important to maintain that perspective when we read contemporary stories about alleged bad deeds in the current war.

I also think it's a marvelous testament to the American spirit that so many Japanese-American kids volunteered and went off to fight while their parents were kept behind barbed-wire. I cannot fathom a more loyal act.

Xstnlsooner
9/26/2007, 07:30 AM
I'm really enjoying the series and look forward to it every night.

Smash
9/26/2007, 07:44 AM

Since a good part of the show is about what was going on at home, it is important that the internment camps got the time that they did.
I don't think he is trying to make the US look bad by showing them. I think he is trying to show that we were so threatened by the Japanese that we were willing to take second and third generation Americans along with recent immigrants and hold them in a camp.

To me, it was wierd to see a POW camp with a US flag flying over it.

I wonder if there is going to be any discussion about German POWs that were held in POW camps in the US.

Veritas
9/26/2007, 09:29 AM
Since a good part of the show is about what was going on at home, it is important that the internment camps got the time that they did.
I don't think he is trying to make the US look bad by showing them. I think he is trying to show that we were so threatened by the Japanese that we were willing to take second and third generation Americans along with recent immigrants and hold them in a camp.
Someone made a great point earlier that he's not dwelling on it, but he's giving it the coverage that is usually absent.

It's an ugly part of our history and we have those. Our soldiers did (and still do) some things that are shameful. Our country contained some people based on their racial heritage, and that's not something of which to be proud (and few people are).

The difference (and he's doing a good job of implicitly observing this fact) is that those ugly parts are the exception, not the standard. There were certainly some cold blooded murders of POWs committed by GIs, however this behavior was not sactioned whereas torture and execution of POWs by the Japanese was quite clearly allowed.

mikeelikee
9/26/2007, 10:06 AM
You could sense what the news was going to be about "Babe". Pretty amazing young man. His letters home were always upbeat and positive. A real "glass half full" optimism.

The Greatest Generation, indeed!

9/26/2007, 12:59 PM
I don't think he is trying to make the US look bad by showing them. I think he is trying to show that we(felt) were so threatened by the Japanese that we were willing to take second and third generation Americans along with recent immigrants and hold them in a camp.

To me, it was wierd to see a POW camp with a US flag flying over it.

I wonder if there is going to be any discussion about German POWs that were held in POW camps in the US.What do you suppose the reaction would be, here in 2007, if Pres. Bush(R, Texas) was to try to set up inernment camps for all Moslems in the USA? That would be the modern equivalent of what FDR did.

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 01:05 PM
What do you suppose the reaction would be, here in 2007, if Pres. Bush(R, Texas) was to try tro set up inernment camps for all Moslems in the USA? That would be the modern equivalent of what FDR did.

I don't know. What does Rush tell you you should think?

Viking Kitten
9/26/2007, 01:08 PM
What do you suppose the reaction would be, here in 2007, if Pres. Bush(R, Texas) was to try tro set up inernment camps for all Moslems in the USA? That would be the modern equivalent of what FDR did.

Oh for Chrissakes.

Okay. The reaction would be that first, all us filthy libz would eat the entrails of rich, white infants and then we'd just take a big ol' collective dump on the American flag. Is that what you want to hear?

Let it go, man.

9/26/2007, 01:09 PM
I don't know. What does Rush tell you you should think?I haven't heard him discuss this subject. What do you think?

9/26/2007, 01:12 PM
Oh for Chrissakes.

Okay. The reaction would be that first, all us filthy libz would eat the entrails of rich, white infants and then we'd just take a big ol' collective dump on the American flag. Is that what you want to hear?

No, really, what do you suppose would happen, and why didn't some successful resistance occur back with the Japanese-American internment?

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 01:12 PM
I haven't heard him discuss this subject. What do you think?

I don't understand why you have to turn everything into a R v. D or a Libz v. Pubz argument. I really don't.

royalfan5
9/26/2007, 01:14 PM
We can't afford it. Cost too much, and the economy is too dependent on Petro-dollars. Plus you would likely be sacrificing a lot of American ex-pats as well.

9/26/2007, 01:19 PM
I don't understand why you have to turn everything into a R v. D or a Libz v. Pubz argument. I really don't.The overall subject is war.(hence, this is not "everything") We are at war domestically, as well as overseas. Some of us forget that, ignore it, miss that it is going on, or deny that it is. It's serious, and should be discussed, I think.

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 01:29 PM
The overall subject is war.(hence, this is not "everything") We are at war domestically, as well as overseas. Some of us forget that, ignore it, miss that it is going on, or deny that it is. It's serious, and should be discussed, I think.

This thread is about a documentary covering World War II. World War II started about 70 years ago. Let's talk about World War II in this thread and save your repetitive, black and white talking points for threads in which they fit.

9/26/2007, 01:38 PM
This thread is about a documentary covering World War II. World War II started about 70 years ago. Let's talk about World War II in this thread and save your repetitive, black and white talking points for threads in which they fit.The broader subject is the defense of the USA. WW2 was part of our response to that need. Today in the GWOT, it would be helpful if congress didn't try so hard to undermine our war effort.

9/26/2007, 01:46 PM
We can't afford it. Cost too much, and the economy is too dependent on Petro-dollars. Plus you would likely be sacrificing a lot of American ex-pats as well.You failed to mention the immediate, overwhelming demand for resignation.

limey_sooner
9/26/2007, 01:51 PM
Oh, the irony of wanting to bash liberals with the content of a program on the so called "left wing" PBS, a network that the right has tried to kill off for decades.

9/26/2007, 01:52 PM
Back to the show from last night! The campaign at Anzio was indeed, horrible. The CO who took so long to prepare to move into Rome sure cost a lot of American lives, while not getting the job done. Burns' cinematic talent makes history interesting, eh?

JohnnyMack
9/26/2007, 01:54 PM
Back to the show from last night! The campaign at Anzio was indeed, horrible. The CO who took so long to prepare to move into Rome sure cost a lot of American lives, while not getting the job done. Burns' cinematic talent makes history interesting, eh?

See how easy that is?!?!?!

9/26/2007, 01:57 PM
See how easy that is?!?!?!And you didn't even have to answer the questions you don't like.

soonersweetie
9/26/2007, 02:24 PM
I originally told my hubby about it as he enjoys watching films about WWII. So he set the DVR to record and we started watching it and now I'm hooked. Sadly, I realize by watching this show how little about it I learned in school. I had no idea about the Bataan Death March or that we fought in Italy. I had no idea that Midway was so close to Hawaii. This has been very educational and informative.

I am sure this is one of those things that will be available as a boxed set DVD for the holidays. I sure hope so. My dad would really enjoy it.

Veritas
9/26/2007, 04:19 PM
And you didn't even have to answer the questions you don't like.
Please stop trying to bait people into aiding you in your mission to turn this into another endless political ****ing match.

9/26/2007, 04:30 PM
Please stop trying to bait people into aiding you in your mission to turn this into another endless political ****ing match.You're the one doing the baiting right now, with that comment. RoyalFan and I already together answered the question that others didn't want to address.

stoopified
9/26/2007, 04:35 PM
USC. Duh.
USC my a$$,it was 'Bama.I have watched parts of it.

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2007, 05:21 PM
Ken Burns does dwell on racial things. However, I've heard him explain it this way. For folks who were raised on "The Little Golden Book of American History," in which all the heroes were perfect and we always did the right thing, it's important to realize that is just not accurate.

In fact, all our heroes were flawed, and in many instances, they were just ordinary people who did the best they could under the circumstances. Sometimes they goofed or did things that to us seem barbaric, cruel or crazy.

Personally, I think it's important to maintain that perspective when we read contemporary stories about alleged bad deeds in the current war.

I also think it's a marvelous testament to the American spirit that so many Japanese-American kids volunteered and went off to fight while their parents were kept behind barbed-wire. I cannot fathom a more loyal act.

I've kind of backed off my original statement. He is spending a lot of time on the racial issues of wartime America, which probably has never been this thoroughly documented and unveiled to this large of an audience before, so I've gotten onboard with it.

I was kind of debating with myself where he was going with it and what light he was trying to shine on it. While I haven't completely made up my mind yet, I think he's just trying to show no matter how internally ****ed up the United States may be, when we put our minds to doing something great and important, nothing and nobody can stop us. This was obviously true in the past, whether or not we can pull it off now or in the future is also just as obviously up for debate.

And I totally agree with your last paragraph. I've never been a fan of Daniel Inouye's politics, but his segment last night where he was describing what his father softly told him before he shipped off to boot camp brought a couple of tears to my eyes. Like he said, I also hope to have enough wisdom and foresight to say something similar to my child if someday I have to see them off to war.

OCUDad
9/26/2007, 06:39 PM
You're the one doing the baiting right now, with that comment.Hugely ironic assertion, coming from the Master Baiter.

Rogue
9/26/2007, 06:57 PM
Burns has us talking for sure. Best teevee I've seen in, like, forever.

Some o' the gals at work are excited because this is the week, apparently, that a bunch of new shows are starting. I like 'em so I won't bag too hard, but I've just never been caught up in the teevee show "season" which I never understood in the first place.

This is a really good series. Some slow parts, some overwhelming parts, but all good. Thanks again for the tipoff, Homey!

Rogue
9/26/2007, 07:08 PM
D-Day on tonight.

Rogue
9/26/2007, 07:20 PM
Flying in on a glider?! "Takeoff" is the point of no-return.

Harry Beanbag
9/26/2007, 08:02 PM
This is a really good series. Some slow parts, some overwhelming parts, but all good.

The narration from the Life pictorial of the three dead Americans on the beach on New Guinea was very moving. I can't find the text online at the moment, but the words used by that Life reporter were breathtaking as an American.

And for those Pacific Campaign buffs like myself, Eugene Sledge is coming. If you remember, he is from Alabama so I'm guessing he'll fit in with the Mobile storyline.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/48838/the-war/

Whet
9/26/2007, 10:30 PM
This program brings to light the differences between that generation and the current, when it comes to making sacrifices and battling evil in the world. My father is a WWII vet from the European Theater - he followed the front line, as he was part of a General Hospital group. He like to tell about the German POWs that worked for him - said they never had to guard them, they didn't want to leave. But, a couple of his brothers fought in the Pacific, and to this day, they still have an undying hatred of the Japanese! Some of there stories are horrific! The father of a buddy of mine from OU was one of the survivors of the Bataan Death March. The father had several health problems that were probably related to that period of time and has since passed. He didn't like to speak too much about that period, but did tell us some of the ordeals he survived - the only way I can describe his stories is a living nightmare that lasted years.

So, for Rush, I provide the following:

http://ibdeditorials.com/IMAGES/CARTOONS/toon072307.gif

OCUDad
9/27/2007, 12:31 AM
"I'd have rather come home without my arms and legs than without my brother."

The toll taken on some families is indescribable.

Newbomb Turk
9/27/2007, 07:54 AM
"I'd have rather come home without my arms and legs than without my brother."

The toll taken on some families is indescribable.

yeah - that was sad.

I've watched, heard, read Omaha Beach/D-Day stories dozens of times and it just amazes me what happened that day. No different when I watched last night.

Veritas
9/27/2007, 08:11 AM
yeah - that was sad.

I've watched, heard, read Omaha Beach/D-Day stories dozens of times and it just amazes me what happened that day. No different when I watched last night.
Watching this epic series just reinforces my opinion that current generations have no concept of sacrifice for country. Some people are freaking out because we've lost 5,000 or so men and woman in Iraq; whether you believe that war to be justified or not, that figure is amazingly low considering the length of the conflict. There is amazing groundswell of resistance to the war in Iraq, yet our lives are (for the most part) amazingly unaffected by the war. We have as much as we want of anything; no rationing, no restrictions on our lives whatsoever.

My point is not that the war in Iraq is right or wrong, but that my generation has zero perspective or understanding of sacrificing for the greater good. Perhaps a cataclysmic event similar to WWII would catalyze, but I have to admit I question that outcome.

picasso
9/27/2007, 12:12 PM
Oh, the irony of wanting to bash liberals with the content of a program on the so called "left wing" PBS, a network that the right has tried to kill off for decades.
I'm pretty sure the argument was that the PBS programs made so much money that it could support itself. You know, it was back in those balancing the budget days.

9/27/2007, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the argument was that the PBS programs made so much money that it could support itself. You know, it was back in those balancing the budget days.It still seems wrong to put taxpayer money into funding a tv or radio network. I believe Ken Burns wouldn't have too much trouble finding a network to carry his programs.

picasso
9/27/2007, 12:31 PM
I'm not saying I totally agree. Dan Quayle went after Barney because Barney was making millions.

Now, back to the series. I thought last night was the best yet.

9/27/2007, 12:41 PM
I definitely think that guy from Mobile that the Japs tried to kill over and over, starting with Bataan, is maybe the toughest guy I've ever heard of. He defines the will to live.

Rogue
9/27/2007, 06:50 PM
Watching this epic series just reinforces my opinion that current generations have no concept of sacrifice for country. ... There is amazing groundswell of resistance to the war in Iraq, yet our lives are (for the most part) amazingly unaffected by the war. We have as much as we want of anything; no rationing, no restrictions on our lives whatsoever.

My point is not that the war in Iraq is right or wrong, but that my generation has zero perspective or understanding of sacrificing for the greater good. Perhaps a cataclysmic event similar to WWII would catalyze, but I have to admit I question that outcome.

Agreed. Last night was a great segment. Every person in America wasn't just affected by the war, but living it in one way or another to varying degrees.

I've known many Ex POWs. All great men in their own way and, to a person, the most humble of men. The POWs in Germany had it rough...cattle cars, coldest winter on record, nothing to eat, etc. Many were Army Air Corps guys that the Germans had a lot of respect for in most cases. The guys captured by the Japanese on Bataan, Corrigedor, etc lived hell on earth. Hell ships, slavery, torture, murder, and on and on.

SoonerGirl06
9/28/2007, 12:09 AM
Someone please tell me that they are going to re-run this program or at least provide the ability to obtain the DVD. I've only read this thread and I've found myself wanting to watch this program immensely.

olevetonahill
9/28/2007, 12:57 AM
Someone please tell me that they are going to re-run this program or at least provide the ability to obtain the DVD. I've only read this thread and I've found myself wanting to watch this program immensely.
Girlfriend , I really did try to watch this show . I got 5 minutes maybe .
Couldnt do it . Maybe Why I got 2 hrs sleep last night . And those 2 hrs wore me out !

9/28/2007, 01:52 AM
Someone please tell me that they are going to re-run this program or at least provide the ability to obtain the DVD. I've only read this thread and I've found myself wanting to watch this program immensely.They've shown 8 hrs of it so far, at least here in PHX. I think it starts up again on Sunday. Watch your schedule on PBS. They went through Normandy Invasion and taking back Paris by the allied forces, in Europe, and past the Battle of Midway against Japan in the Pacific. Pretty much through summer, 1944. I don't know how many hours of programming remain, but possibly the show is only halfway through.

Okla-homey
9/28/2007, 04:50 AM
They've shown 8 hrs of it so far, at least here in PHX. I think it starts up again on Sunday. Watch your schedule on PBS. They went through Normandy Invasion and taking back Paris by the allied forces, in Europe, and past the Battle of Midway against Japan in the Pacific. Pretty much through summer, 1944. I don't know how many hours of programming remain, but possibly the show is only halfway through.

I believe its 15 hours total.

Okla-homey
9/28/2007, 04:52 AM
Has anyone evar taken Russia in the winter?

No, but I once took a White Russian in January.;)

SoonerGirl06
9/28/2007, 07:02 AM
Ya'll still haven't answered my question... are they going to re-run the program in it's entirety?

And start posting about last night's show. I'm needing my fix this am.

TIA

Okla-homey
9/28/2007, 08:28 AM
Ya'll still haven't answered my question... are they going to re-run the program in it's entirety?

And start posting about last night's show. I'm needing my fix this am.

TIA

OETA didn't run it last night. It was Sunday thru Wednesday this week. Presumably the same deal starting again Sunday night.

sooner_born_1960
9/28/2007, 08:38 AM
All air dates.

http://www.oeta.onenet.net/war/WarAirdates.html

SoonerGirl06
9/28/2007, 09:03 AM
All air dates.

http://www.oeta.onenet.net/war/WarAirdates.html

Thank you!

soonersweetie
9/28/2007, 05:26 PM
fyi, i saw on pbs where you can pre-order the DVD set on their website. It's $129 for the set.

OCUDad
9/28/2007, 07:41 PM
It's a lot less from Amazon...

10/1/2007, 10:57 AM
Well, the 9-30-07 episode(last night) was quite good, I thought. Boy, we sure had some questionable leadership from time to time, especially with that US general in France, sending the troops into a heavily fortified forest. We lost way more troops than we should have.
I had seen a program a few years ago about the amazing story of the pilot Aanensen(sp?) that Burns has given so much time to on this series. His story is one of the great survival/accomplishments stories from WW2.

Okla-homey
10/1/2007, 11:25 AM
Well, the 9-30-07 episode(last night) was quite good, I thought. Boy, we sure had some questionable leadership from time to time, especially with that texass national guard division commander who thought he was military genius in France, sending the 442 Regt'l Combat Team into a heavily fortified forest to rescue a cut-off and surrounded texass national guard battalion he had thrown away because he was a dilbert and wouldn't listen to people who knew WTF was going on.
We lost way more troops than we should have.

I had seen a program a few years ago about the amazing story of the pilot Aanensen(sp?) that Burns has given so much time to on this series. His story is one of the great survival/accomplishments stories from WW2.

fixed it. ;)

picasso
10/1/2007, 12:27 PM
great ending last night with the bit about the Crow soldier. Great to hear it from his own mouth too. The guy reminded me of my Grandfather.

I noticed in the paper last week that syndicated columnist Rueben Navarrette busted on Burns for not putting any Hispanic Vets in the series.

SoonerBorn68
10/1/2007, 12:59 PM
I finally got my TiVo back up and running out on the rig. I didn't want to start watching the series in the middle but ended up watching FUBAR last night. It's amazing we had 33K casulaties in the Hurtgen forest.

I was rather elated to see some of E. B. Slaughter's story too. I'm reading With The Old Breed now.

Okla-homey
10/1/2007, 02:31 PM
I finally got my TiVo back up and running out on the rig. I didn't want to start watching the series in the middle but ended up watching FUBAR last night. It's amazing we had 33K casulaties in the Hurtgen forest.

I was rather elated to see some of E. B. Slaughter's story too. I'm reading With The Old Breed now.

I also found it odd, considering the context, that OETA "bleeped" the meaning of the the "F" in "FUBAR" and "SNAFU" when the narrarator explained it.

I mean, I know its on George Carlin's list, but dang. This is history, and its how those guys spoke. ;)

10/1/2007, 03:29 PM
I also found it odd, considering the context, that OETA "bleeped" the meaning of the the "F" in "FUBAR" and "SNAFU" when the narrarator explained it.

I mean, I know its on George Carlin's list, but dang. This is history, and its how those guys spoke. ;)They didn't bleep it here in AZ. I was surprised it was even in the show, actually.

soonersweetie
10/1/2007, 04:40 PM
They didn't bleep it here in San Diego either, kind of caught me off guard.

Mixer!
10/1/2007, 05:21 PM
Ah, thanks to the Timberfake/Janet fiasco, PBS stations can't broadcast "f*ck" without Uncle Charlie lowering their banhammers.

Stoopidy government wonks.

10/2/2007, 01:18 AM
I guess I don't understand why you would want to take someone prisoner unless you thought you could interrogate them for intelligence info. Otherwise, the SOB's are your enemy, and will try to kill you or otherwise eff you up some way. To me, killing an enemy combatant prisoner is no less humane than napalming their cities, and killing civilians....?!?!? (one shouldn't go around broadcasting what you did, of course, in order to avoid being court-martialled)

Nowadays, however, the GWOT is another matter entirely, since enemy combatants are totally mixed in with the civilians, look just like them, dress the same, and are not part of separate, deployed military units.

BTW, tomorrow's episode(tues night's) of "The War" is supposed to be the last one. I don't know if it lasts 2 hrs., or maybe 3?

Okla-homey
10/2/2007, 05:28 AM
I guess I don't understand why you would want to take someone prisoner unless you thought you could interrogate them for intelligence info. Otherwise, the SOB's are your enemy, and will try to kill you or otherwise eff you up some way. To me, killing an enemy combatant prisoner is no less humane than napalming their cities, and killing civilians....?!?!? (one shouldn't go around broadcasting what you did, of course, in order to avoid being court-martialled)

Nowadays, however, the GWOT is another matter entirely, since enemy combatants are totally mixed in with the civilians, look just like them, dress the same, and are not part of separate, deployed military units.

BTW, tomorrow's episode(tues night's) of "The War" is supposed to be the last one. I don't know if it lasts 2 hrs., or maybe 3?

One of the best reasons for treating your prisoners humanely (aside from the international law consequences of not doing so) is to encourage surrenders versus fights to the death. If the other side believes you'll treat them decently, they should be less inclined to fight past the point at which they have no longer have any possibility of winning. That's the theory anyway. Of course, there may be cultural impediments to such a view on the part of your enemy (e.g. the WWII Japanese who believed surrender = dishonorable and always unjustifiable).

10/2/2007, 10:52 AM
One of the best reasons for treating your prisoners humanely (aside from the international law consequences of not doing so) is to encourage surrenders versus fights to the death. If the other side believes you'll treat them decently, they should be less inclined to fight past the point at which they have no longer have any possibility of winning. That's the theory anyway. Of course, there may be cultural impediments to such a view on the part of your enemy (e.g. the WWII Japanese who believed surrender = dishonorable and always unjustifiable).I have never been in combat, but I sure wouldn't want to have to worry about constantly guarding guys who, until their capture, were actually trying to kill me.

royalfan5
10/2/2007, 11:08 AM
One of the best reasons for treating your prisoners humanely (aside from the international law consequences of not doing so) is to encourage surrenders versus fights to the death. If the other side believes you'll treat them decently, they should be less inclined to fight past the point at which they have no longer have any possibility of winning. That's the theory anyway. Of course, there may be cultural impediments to such a view on the part of your enemy (e.g. the WWII Japanese who believed surrender = dishonorable and always unjustifiable).
Speaking of that subject, Niall Ferguson's Outstanding book "War of the World" touches heavily on the role that convincing Germans in both Wars that they could surrender safely played in speeding the end of the War. It also noted that it was much safer to surrender in large groups, so the beliefs of the officer corps were key. An example of this would be the British surrendering Singapore in 1942.

TUSooner
10/2/2007, 09:49 PM
I just watched the last couple hours of The War. I'm almost stunned. I feel like I have seen something of phenomenal importance for everyone - something that makes the glib politial arguments and blustery rhetoric of the SO seem trivial and even shameful. I would change the thread title to "If you have even a pssing interest in the human race, you MUST watch this film." Ken Burns is a very insightful and gifted teller of the great stories of humans and humanity. This is a film that grabs your mind and kicks your guts and somehow gets at your heart. Maybe I'm more than almost stunned.

TUSooner
10/2/2007, 10:15 PM
Regarding the parts about Japanese-American internment and Jim Crow: Burns made a great point in the discussion after the last episode: There was some unifying purpose in the war that made Americans overcome or at least overlook their differences for a great common cause. It must have been some cause, when Japanese-Americans would fight for the same country that pennd up their families, and for African-Americans to fight for the country that, in places, kept their families in second class status. I think the "cause" must have been the promise of America, which then and now transcends the often petty realities of it. Anybody can go to war for a country that's already perfect, I suppose. It takes something special to go to war for something that the country can, but has not yet, become.

Rogue
10/3/2007, 05:46 AM
Well said, TU.