PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Bowling?

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 10:04 AM
Notre Dame gets an automatic BCS bowl bid, right?

What if they have a loosing record, or loose every darned game this year? Do they still get to go bowling? Do they still get the zillion dollar payout?

CtheB
9/23/2007, 10:07 AM
Only if they have 9 wins.

badger
9/23/2007, 10:12 AM
Only if they have 9 wins.
Which they won't have, because they have four losses :D:D:D:D

Everyone sing along now if you know the words:

Cheer, Cheer for no bowling game
Pretty soon we'll be known as big Notre Lame
Send our team some big fat checks
We'll need them for Weis' big fat contracts!
Whether the odds be great or greater
Ol' Notre Lame will lay a big fat tomater
While her loyal sons lose interest
for we have no victories!

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:18 AM
nbc/espn/ncaa will still find a way to get them into the fiesta bowl.

guzziguy
9/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Thread title should be changed to, Notre Dame Bawling

hink4769
9/23/2007, 10:23 AM
i'm sure the qb of the other team will be happy since that means he'll be the first pick in the next nfl draft.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:25 AM
Best part is, ND is 3 losses away from staying at home in Dec/Jan.

JohnnyMack
9/23/2007, 10:26 AM
Best part is, ND is 3 weeks away from staying at home in Dec/Jan.

Fixed.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:26 AM
I'm not so sold on Purdue ;)

IGotNoTiming
9/23/2007, 10:28 AM
Can you see the , behind-closed-doors, high-level phone call at NBC Sports right now?
"Okay we have these sunzabiches on for the next 7 weeks?!?!?! Can we break the contract?
What?!?! No???... You you talk to the attorneys pronto! I want those confession spillers of my station!?!?

What?
Look I don't care what you replace it with!?!?! Call CBS maybe they will loan us some old reruns of Falcon Crest.....Figure it out!

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:29 AM
I'm not so sold on Purdue
and you are on nd???

:D

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm not so sold on Purdue ;)

<choke.....choke....choke>

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:31 AM
and you are on nd???

hehe, of course not. But man...the Big-10 is bad....almost ND bad ;)

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:32 AM
Can you see the , behind-closed-doors, high-level phone call at NBC Sports right now?
"Okay we have these sunzabiches on for the next 7 weeks?!?!?! Can we break the contract?
What?!?! No???... You you talk to the attorneys pronto! I want those confession spillers of my station!?!?

What?
Look I don't care what you replace it with!?!?! Call CBS maybe they will loan us some old reruns of Falcon Crest.....Figure it out!
i wonder (seriously) if they have a "breech of contract" rule if notre dame totally sucks balls. probably not... people will still tune in to see them get their butts handed to them.

and i'm betting navy breaks the winless streak this year against them. air force will throttle them. no commander in chief trophy for nd this year.

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:33 AM
what do you mean??? michigan is tied for first in the big 10!!!!

hink4769
9/23/2007, 10:34 AM
nd has gotten creamed by 2 big 10 teams so they're not as bad as ND bad. ND is duke bad.

hink4769
9/23/2007, 10:35 AM

What?
you mean they're not getting a boost from ND haters across the country tuning in to enjoy this trainwreck of a season?

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:36 AM
no breach of contract rule, they just have the option to not televise games I think. I believe they took that option once or twice during either Davie's last season or one of Willingham's.

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 10:36 AM
The funny thing about that is Fox has the BCS games, ABC/ESPN only has the Rose Bowl. Why they pimp ND so much since they don't have a contract with them is amazing since it seems self-promotion is all they care about.

As far as the NBC contracts what else would they show on Saturday afternoons that would create Higher ratings? Nothing else, they will still keep showing ND games in the afternoon time slot but I doubt if any would be moved to prime time. The USC game would be the only one that has a chance to be moved.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:37 AM
nd has gotten creamed by 2 big 10 teams so they're not as bad as ND bad. ND is duke bad.

Northwestern lost to Duke...ball is back in your court ;)

starclassic tama
9/23/2007, 10:37 AM
who cares? i hear enough about notre dame from ESPN, then i come onto my own teams message boards and see a thread about them. shut up

Scott D
9/23/2007, 10:38 AM
The funny thing about that is Fox has the BCS games, ABC/ESPN only has the Rose Bowl. Why they pimp ND so much since they don't have a contract with them is amazing since it seems self-promotion is all they care about.

networks pimping ND is on par with networks pimping the Yankees and the Patriots/Cowboys, or the Lakers. Teams that have a lot of pocketbook fans like those do get the pimpage.

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 10:39 AM

Duke beat Northwestern.

:eek:

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 10:40 AM

What if they have a loosing record, or loose every darned game this year? Do they still get to go bowling? Do they still get the zillion dollar payout?

Alright. Back on track here folks.

Post was not about how bad Notre Dame is. We know that. Let's move forward.

It's my understanding that when the BCS system was structured, because ND was an independent, they had an Automatic Bid. It is also my understanding that in order to go bowling you must have a winning record/six wins (?).

hink4769
9/23/2007, 10:41 AM
Northwestern lost to Duke...ball is back in your court ;)
okay well ND is baylor/northwestern/duke/insert worst team in conference bad

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 10:43 AM
ND only has an automatic BCS bid if they win 9 or more games as CtheB stated, if they don't have 9, then they fall to the regular bowl level if they have 6 or more wins. The 6 win minimum is by NCAA decree.

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 10:49 AM
K. thanks. Was wondering how that was structured. Seriously.

yermom
9/23/2007, 10:51 AM
yep, they take a Big East spot if they aren't in the BCS

yermom
9/23/2007, 11:05 AM
wow, i must have missed these changes...

http://www.collegebcs.com/bcsfaq.html#Eligible

Which teams are eligible for BCS bowls?

The automatic qualification standards are not the same for all teams. The teams are divided into four groups: automatic qualifying (AQ) conferences (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, Pac Ten, SEC), non-automatic qualifying conferences (C-USA, MAC, Mtn West, Sun Belt, WAC), Notre Dame, and other independents.

There are ten spots in the five BCS bowl games (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar and the title game). Under no circumstance may a conference place more than two teams in the BCS games. With that in mind, the following teams automatically qualify for one of those spots. (In order of preference. All ranking criteria refer to the final BCS standings unless otherwise noted.)

1. The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.
2. AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking. Exception: If the #1 and #2 teams are from the same conference and neither is the champion, then the champion of that conference will not participate in the BCS.
3. The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.
4. Notre Dame, if it finishes in the top eight.
5. The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.
6. The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot and no team qualifies under rule 5.

If there are still open spots after all that, then any team can be selected by a BCS bowl if it:

# Has 9 wins against I-A opponents, and is rated in the top 14 of the BCS standings, or
# Is a non-AQ conference champion and meets the qualification standard in #3, but was not the highest-rated team to do so.

Once every four years, a team may count a win against a I-AA opponent toward the nine needed for BCS-eligibility. So far, no one has used that exception.

Note that for independents not named Notre Dame, the only way to automatically qualify is to finish #1 or #2.

Also, the #3 provision only applies to the champions of the non-AQ leagues. That means, for example, if TCU were to finish 11-1, but have that loss be to Utah, which is 8-4 overall, but 8-0 in Mtn West play, then TCU could not automatically qualify under rule #3 no matter how high it is ranked.

it used to be that non-BCS schools in the top 6 automatically made it (Utah)

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 11:16 AM
Weren't Utah and BSU at-large selections and not automatic qualifiers?

yermom
9/23/2007, 11:31 AM
those aren't mutually exclusive

when Utah made it in 2004, they were #6 and got an automatic bid over #5 Cal (Texas was #4)

Utah was then an at-large team with Texas (at-large basically means not a BCS conference champ, and not #1 or #2)

fadada1
9/23/2007, 11:37 AM
wow, i must have missed these changes...

http://www.collegebcs.com/bcsfaq.html#Eligible

it used to be that non-BCS schools in the top 6 automatically made it (Utah)
reading all that makes my brain hurt.

Purple Tiger
9/23/2007, 12:16 PM

If they go 0/11,NBC and NCAA will create bowl for them and exempt the need for 6 wins to be bowl eligible.

85sooners
9/23/2007, 12:21 PM
:P

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2007, 12:23 PM
Cheer, Cheer for no bowling game
Pretty soon we'll be known as big Notre Lame
Send our team some big fat checks
We'll need them for Weis' big fat contracts!
Whether the odds be great or greater
Ol' Notre Lame will lay a big fat tomater
While her loyal sons lose interest
for we have no victories!

Sung to Holiday in Cambodia?

Leroy Lizard
9/23/2007, 12:25 PM
1. The top two teams in the rankings. Those teams are assigned to the title game.
2. AQ conference champions, regardless of ranking. Exception: If the #1 and #2 teams are from the same conference and neither is the champion, then the champion of that conference will not participate in the BCS.
3. The highest-rated champion of a non-AQ conference if it either ranks in the top 12 or is ranked in the top 16 and also ranked ahead of one of the champions of an AQ conference.
4. Notre Dame.
5. The #3 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot.
6. The #4 team, if it is a member of an AQ conference and there is still an open spot and no team qualifies under rule 5.

Fixed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/23/2007, 12:28 PM
reading all that makes my brain hurt.ANYTHING notre dame=major Brain Pain.

r5TPsooner
9/23/2007, 12:29 PM
They will go to either the Tidy Bowl or the Toilet Bowl. Maybe the Candy Bowl if they beat SC.

Readyfor8
9/23/2007, 01:03 PM
who cares? i hear enough about notre dame from ESPN, then i come onto my own teams message boards and see a thread about them. shut up

On behalf of the thread starter, I appologize for making you waste the 15 minutes it must have taken you to read the thread title, the 45 minutes it must have taken to construct such a well built reply, and the 5 seconds you spent proofreading it.

From now on I will be more courtious and consider you before creating any new thread or posting any reply.

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 02:20 PM
Reason I started the discussion was that, if later on down the road, OU became a team on the bubble for a BCS game (remember Auburn?), and Notre Dame getting an automatic contractual bid. Just was unclear on the chinese finger puzzle that is the BCS system and who ND is within it, because of their contractual automatic bid deal.

BTW, thanks VERMOM on the info. -seriously.

Scott D
9/23/2007, 02:24 PM
more like thank the BCS for renegotiating the contract w/ ND that made it more difficult than just a 9 win season to gain a BCS game.

Cam
9/23/2007, 06:50 PM
If I remember correctly, even if they don't qualify for a BCS game, they get a Million $$$ + payout just for being in the mix to begin with. Nothing but BS.

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 06:55 PM
If I remember correctly, even if they don't qualify for a BCS game, they get a Million $$$ + payout just for being in the mix to begin with. Nothing but BS.
Notre Dame also gets less than a full share if they play in a BCS game, and if they don't make it, they get a payment that is equivalent to what Baylor gets for being in the Big XII, or Vandy for being in the SEC.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7659924/

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 06:57 PM
If I remember correctly, even if they don't qualify for a BCS game, they get a Million $$$ + payout just for being in the mix to begin with. Nothing but BS.WTF ?? Seriously ??

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 07:00 PM
There were masses of ND 'fans' around here in Indy just before the season kicked off.
After the first game, many disappeared, but there were still some lurking 'loyal' fans.
After the 2nd and 3rd game, I haven't seen a single one, in any of my classes, in the halls, at the malls....

You get the idea ;)

Cam
9/23/2007, 07:01 PM
Notre Dame also gets less than a full share if they play in a BCS game, and if they don't make it, they get a payment that is equivalent to what Baylor gets for being in the Big XII, or Vandy for being in the SEC.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7659924/
Like i said, it's BS.

badger
9/23/2007, 09:33 PM
Sooo... closet Domers, eh?

I feel another song coming on... sing along if you know the words!

Jeer, jeer, your fanbase is lame
Jump off the bandwagon in total shame
Send your signal in distress
Not even Stoops could clean Weis' mess!
Whether your crowd numbers small or smaller
They'll all be hollering for a new play caller!
While your disloyal sons march out
and you have no victories!