PDA

View Full Version : Saving Private Ryan...

JohnnyMack
9/22/2007, 08:47 PM
...one of the very few movies I'd stop watching college football to see.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 08:48 PM
If it was a live event I could agree with you.

DVDs are pretty cool

Okla-homey
9/22/2007, 08:48 PM
...one of the very few movies I'd stop watching college football to see.

see you on the beach JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack
9/22/2007, 09:00 PM
If it was a live event I could agree with you.

DVDs are pretty cool

You shut your whore mouth.

Jerk
9/22/2007, 09:00 PM
You could sure tell when those Garands were emptied. Ka-chang!! The Japanese knew that sound and that's when they'd do a bayonette charge.

Great movie. Some technical things are off, but so what.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 09:01 PM
You shut your whore mouth.
**** off, dip****

JohnnyMack
9/22/2007, 09:02 PM
**** off, dip****

post reported.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 09:03 PM
post reported.
Don't bother.

It will be deleted shortly.

JohnnyMack
9/23/2007, 07:57 AM
see you on the beach JohnnyMack

I've been on that beach (the real one, not the one up in the UK they filmed the movie at). What a great vacation.

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 08:42 AM
You could sure tell when those Garands were emptied. Ka-chang!! The Japanese knew that sound and that's when they'd do a bayonette charge.

Great movie. Some technical things are off, but so what.

You know, I've read some stuff, particularly by Bruce Canfield (who has written some pretty authoritative and well documented stuff on infantry weapons of WWII) and he pretty much considers that whole "Joe got killed cuz his M-1 clip 'ping' belied he was out of ammo" myth.

Think about it. Even a small-unit action would be noisy as heck. What are the odds an enemy soldier would hear a clip "ping" amid the sounds of everyone else firing, not to mention the screaming and associated automatic weapons and/or mortars, artillery, etc.

Jerk
9/23/2007, 09:03 AM
You know, I've read some stuff, particularly by Bruce Canfield (who has written some pretty authoritative and well documented stuff on infantry weapons of WWII) and he pretty much considers that whole "Joe got killed cuz his M-1 clip 'ping' belied he was out of ammo" myth.

Think about it. Even a small-unit action would be noisy as heck. What are the odds an enemy soldier would hear a clip "ping" amid the sounds of everyone else firing, not to mention the screaming and associated automatic weapons and/or mortars, artillery, etc.
I don't know. At the gun range I can hear them go empty several rows down with my ear plugs in. I could have sworn that I read about the Marines using a device to mimick the sound and then filling the enemy soldier with bullet holes as he came running out of his cave.

I hate to admit this, but my dad owns a few and I have this great fear of getting my thumb smashed in the action, so I'm kind of a puss when it comes to Garands.

(for those of you who don't know, the garand is loaded from the top via a stripper clip that you push in with your thumb. When the clip is seated into the magazine, the bolt release kicks in and the action slams forward. If you haven't gotten your thumb cleared by the time the bolt hits the chamber, you're going to be in a world of pain.)

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 09:10 AM
I don't know. At the gun range I can hear them go empty several rows down with my ear plugs in. I could have sworn that I read about the Marines using a device to mimick the sound and then filling the enemy soldier with bullet holes as he came running out of his cave.

I hate to admit this, but my dad owns a few and I have this great fear of getting my thumb smashed in the action, so I'm kind of a puss when it comes to Garands.

(for those of you who don't know, the garand is loaded from the top via a stripper clip that you push in with your thumb. When the clip is seated into the magazine, the bolt release kicks in and the action slams forward. If you haven't gotten your thumb cleared by the time the bolt hits the chamber, you're going to be in a world of pain.)

Until you get the hang of it, you can mash in the clip with your left thumb while holding the bolt back with your right thumb on the charging handle. Then, let the bolt slam forward when your left thumb is clear.

Jerk
9/23/2007, 09:17 AM
Until you get the hang of it, you can mash in the clip with your left thumb while holding the bolt back with your right thumb on the charging handle. Then, let the bolt slam forward when your left thumb is clear.

Thanks. If I ever shoot one, that's what I will do.

StormySooner-IN
9/23/2007, 10:51 AM
I saw that, too. I had never seen it before, I hear it's great. I went to change the channel to watch it.

Then I went, "Hey, College Football is on!!"

:D

yermom
9/23/2007, 11:09 AM
great movie, but i'm thinking i could watch that any time...

bluedogok
9/23/2007, 11:12 AM
Yep, I have the DVD so I can choose when to watch it.

Turd_Ferguson
9/23/2007, 02:02 PM

Back in the day, I bought a couple of SKS's which load with a stripper clip as well. The first time I loaded one, I almost cut my thumb off and **** my pants at the same time:D

47straight
9/23/2007, 04:08 PM
I went to the Nimitz Museum of the War in the Pacific in Kerrville, TX one time, and they told us about the "ping" thing. For sure in a big battle you couldn't hear it, but in a small patrol v small patrol thing it might be big.

Anyways, they said that the GI's quickly adapted by have two soldiers fire together. Each would fire 4 rounds. Then, one would take an empty clip and bang it on his helmet, which reproduced exactly the "ping" from the rifle. Then they would wait a few seconds for the japanese to boldly rush forward, and then finish their clips.