PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling Bulls*** on the Samuel Adam's commercial

Jerk
9/22/2007, 05:16 PM
They claim to not use 'twist off' caps because it lets oxygen into the bottle which affects the taste, so they only use the old fashion caps that you have to take off with a bottle opener. Man, that is just not possible. If you have a pressurized container, if there are any leaks, liquid or gas is going to leak OUT, and not IN.

So there.

bluedogok
9/22/2007, 06:30 PM
As the lighter than oxygen gases escape, oxygen enters to replace it.

TopDaugIn2000
9/22/2007, 07:29 PM
just get ya a pair of these, problem solved

http://brandautopsy.typepad.com/brandautopsy/images/fanningsandal.jpg

I actually saw these at Dillards not long ago, $45 for these rediculous "shoes".

sooner_born_1960
9/23/2007, 12:16 AM
If they're going to build something into a shoe, it might as well be a bottle opener.

proud gonzo
9/23/2007, 12:24 AM
actually, that's pretty cool

royalfan5
9/23/2007, 12:26 AM
If you wear a ring, it can double as a bottle opener. That's what I do.

mhackl
9/23/2007, 12:57 AM
http://media3.guzer.com/pictures/shoe_cd_player.jpg

http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2478273576

proud gonzo
9/23/2007, 01:01 AM
that's hilarious

apusooner
9/23/2007, 01:50 AM

I actually saw these at Dillards not long ago, $45 for these rediculous "shoes".

I have a pair of those. they rule. really comfortable and comes in really handy at parties. i wear them more often than shoes, but you can do that in CA. They also make some that have a flask on the bottom. the air pocket fills up with booze.

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 09:14 AM
I have a pair of those. they rule. really comfortable and comes in really handy at parties. i wear them more often than shoes, but you can do that in CA. They also make some that have a flask on the bottom. the air pocket fills up with booze.

A novelty indeed, but just how smoove would it be to say, "hey darlin' allow me to freshen your cocktail from the flask imbedded in my sweaty and crusty flip-flop?";)

OklaUalum
9/23/2007, 09:31 AM
I'm no physicist, or chemical engineer. But, I LOVE beer. You ever open an old beer? Bottle that's been sitting around a while?

They do get flat. Like BlueDog says the lighter gas does escape (oops -excuse, me).

I'd think like the Sam Adams commercials state, that a tighter fitting cap would retain the contents better that a looser fitting one. But, heck, it'd have to sit a while for you to even notice. I've never let a beer sit that long!
Which, in turn, erodes their arguement about beer being best 'fresh' ( like bread ). Which, I do believe, is true.

Howzit
9/23/2007, 10:53 AM
If they're going to build something into a shoe, it might as well be a bottle opener.

http://www.davelgil.com/korea/don.jpg

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 12:06 PM
They also opine that light kills beer. mebbe so. That is why they put their bottles in cardboard six-packs with high walls so less light confronts the beerage.

That said, I wonder why they just don't put it in opaque bottles?

Turd_Ferguson
9/23/2007, 02:36 PM
Lately I have had quite a few bottles of beer give me a Ffff when I open them instead of a Pssss! So I started getting cans instead.

StoopTroup
9/23/2007, 03:23 PM
I bet the real Sam Adams could care less.

Okla-homey
9/23/2007, 05:00 PM
I bet the real Sam Adams could'nt care less.

fixed it!

I know, spelling/grammar smack is disapproved of in the SO.;)

SCOUT
9/23/2007, 05:37 PM
They also opine that light kills beer. mebbe so. That is why they put their bottles in cardboard six-packs with high walls so less light confronts the beerage.

That said, I wonder why they just don't put it in opaque bottles?

I have run across skunky beer a time or two. I hadn't really thought too much about it, but this thread made me do a little looking. This explanation does the best job as far as I can tell.

Skunked

(thing) by El Puerco Loco (5.1 mon) (print) ? 2 C!s Tue Apr 03 2001 at 4:12:04

An adjective describing beer that has been ruined by exposure to light. So called because it has the unmistakeable odor of a skunk. The odor is caused when hop resins in the beer react with light to produce mercaptan and related chemicals, the same compounds that give skunks their distinctive aroma. While people who know a little bit about beer will instantly recognize it as a fatal flaw and immediateley dump the offending beverage down the drain, novice beer drinkers, particularly American beer drinkers used to neutral tasting mass-market brews, sometimes mistake it as a sign of quality in imported beers like Heineken and Becks. The defect is quite common in these otherwise fine beers for a few simple reasons, the main one being that the green bottles in which they are sold are transparent to light at the wavelength (~530nm) which causes the chemical reaction that produces the offending mercaptan. This, combined with the fact that they usually are sold from the well-lit display cases of convenience stores and supermarkets (in the U.S.A., at least) gives consumers little chance of getting the quality beer that was put into the bottles at the brewery. The beers mentioned above are supposed to be fairly light in flavor, so if you get one that has an aroma or flavor significantly stronger than the American lager you are used to, dump it, because it is not supposed to taste like that.

Fortunately, there are ways to avoid ever coming across a skunked beer in the first place. For starters, if you must buy a beer from a lighted display, go for one in brown bottles, as it will be better protected against damage from light. Better still, buy beer in cans. It is impossible for beer in cans to ever become skunked. Same thing goes for kegs, which are, after all, simply really big cans. If you just don't feel as suave chugging from a can as you do sipping from a bottle, and you just have to have something that comes in green bottles, buy it in a case which will be better protected from light than the average six-pack.

rufnek05
9/23/2007, 05:47 PM

I, too, have a pair of these. They only cost me $30, and they are some of the most comfortable shoes I have. And they do come in handy if I don't have a church key close.

StoopTroup
9/23/2007, 05:57 PM
fixed it!

I did it on purpose in honor of Jenni Carlsbad.

apusooner
9/24/2007, 12:58 AM
I, too, have a pair of these. They only cost me $30, and they are some of the most comfortable shoes I have. And they do come in handy if I don't have a church key close.

it's amazing how much attention you get when you open a beer with the bottom of your sandal.

Frozen Sooner
9/24/2007, 01:03 AM
fixed it!

Particularly when you screw it up yourself.

Could not is abbreviated "couldn't."

:D

And that guy pictured on the Sam Adams bottles is actually John Hancock.

TUSooner
9/24/2007, 08:48 AM
Speaking of grammar/spelling smack.....
It's is R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S
from the Latin ridere meaning "to laugh." Something ridiculous is deserving of laughter.

You're welcome!! :pop:

TUSooner
9/24/2007, 08:49 AM
Particularly when you screw it up yourself.

Could not is abbreviated "couldn't."

:D

And that guy pictured on the Sam Adams bottles is actually John Hancock.

It's the thought that ****s!
I mean cOunts.