PDA

View Full Version : Help me out, please

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 04:50 PM
So, I get a smack email from a USC fan complaining about, you guessed it, us running up the score against Tulsa.

Didn't that self-same team call some kind of trick play to score late in the GOWWDNS, when the outcome was all but assured?

Thanks.

Ash
9/22/2007, 04:52 PM
For a much more recent reference, remind them that Petey told a reporter if he had known that people were making such a fuss about OU and LSU the weekend SUC played Nebraska, that he would have been more than happy to try and run up the score on Nebbish.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 04:57 PM
Believe me, for this guy I'd have to provide a link to the quote. Know where I might find one?

Thanks much!!!

Cam
9/22/2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sure SC's 2nd and 3rd team players have never scored a touchdown. How dare OU's reserves try. :rolleyes:

OKLA21FAN
9/22/2007, 05:07 PM
just ask him to go watch the 2nd half of the USC/Ark game in L.A. a couple of years ago.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 05:12 PM
And beating Stanford 42-0 doesn't count.

Man though, I'd sure like to find that quote about running up the score vs. Nebraska.

Cam
9/22/2007, 05:18 PM
Nothing you can say will change his mind. Don't put too much work into it.

Flagstaffsooner
9/22/2007, 05:18 PM
Why are you corresponding with a condom?

AllAboutThe'O'
9/22/2007, 05:19 PM
just ask him to go watch the 2nd half of the USC/Ark game in L.A. a couple of years ago.
They were running it up in the second half of last year's game at Fayetteville as well.

Ash
9/22/2007, 05:31 PM
Believe me, for this guy I'd have to provide a link to the quote. Know where I might find one?

Thanks much!!!

Sorry, I heard it on the radio and can't find a print version.

He said something to the effec that if he had known there'd be so much fuss about OU and LSUs blowout wins that weekend he would have played it differently late in the Nebraska game.

OUinFLA
9/22/2007, 05:38 PM
Sometimes in order to keep from running up the score, you just have to leave the field. In which case you forfeit. Nobody wants a forfeit.

Just explain to him that there's a lot about football that most suc fans won't ever understand. And if their team was just marginally good, most of them would get off the bandwagon and become arm chair surfing experts again.

SoonerBOI
9/22/2007, 05:39 PM
So, I get a smack email from a USC fan complaining about, you guessed it, us running up the score against Tulsa.

Didn't that self-same team call some kind of trick play to score late in the GOWWDNS, when the outcome was all but assured?

Thanks.

For me, that is killer instinct not running up the score.;)

OUinFLA
9/22/2007, 05:41 PM
you could just let his email addy somehow slip into the "Nigerian Tourist & Economic Development" prospect file.
He'll be too busy with his computer to bother sending out smack emails to OU fans.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 05:59 PM
Sorry, I heard it on the radio and can't find a print version.

He said something to the effec that if he had known there'd be so much fuss about OU and LSUs blowout wins that weekend he would have played it differently late in the Nebraska game.

OK, thanks.

He's a former coworker that I got along with fairly well apart from the whole football topic. I do have to give him credit, he was remarkably restrained after the GOWWDNS.

OUinFLA
9/22/2007, 06:05 PM
You could just tell him....

**** off, dip ****

then explain you spend a lot of time on SF.com.

bluedogok
9/22/2007, 06:07 PM
What is Leach's quote, "it's not my job to keep us from scoring".

Rhino
9/22/2007, 06:18 PM
We refuse to apologize for being awesome.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 06:46 PM
Well, I know logic won't work with this guy, but if we hadn't beaten Tulsa decisively we'd be accused of being overrated and probably drop a few spots in the polls.

So I think my best shot is pot kettle black, glass house residents and stones. etc.

If Carroll regrets not running up the score on Nebraska maybe he'll try to make up for it tonight. That would be SWEET. (Insofar as a Condom win is ever sweet for me, of course.)

soonerloyal
9/22/2007, 06:48 PM
Why are you corresponding with a condom?

Yup. Gotta wonder what they're teaching our young women these days. My generation was raised better. Shame on you, dearie - remember your good breeding. Learn not to associate with lesser beings, you'll be better off in the long run.

AlbqSooner
9/22/2007, 07:08 PM
Again, Billy Tubbs said it best: "You want me to hold down the score? That is illegal, it is called point shaving."

snp
9/22/2007, 07:41 PM
Crying about running up the score is for losers.

85sooners
9/22/2007, 07:57 PM
lol

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah, having your starting quarterback still in in the 4th quarter when you're sitting on a 26-point lead isn't running up the score.

:rolleyes:

Pardon me for talking to myself.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 10:47 PM
Oh, and on that last USC drive before the interception, I didn't exactly see Carroll telling Sanchez to take a knee.

sooneron
9/22/2007, 11:23 PM
I believe suc ran up the score in the 04 nd game. Petey was definitely padding Matt's stats for the heisman race late in the game.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/22/2007, 11:46 PM
My answer to the Condom is below.

I have to give the guy credit, no one has ****ed me off this much in a while. I am usually Ms. Laid Back, but outright stone-throwing by this USC glass-house dweller has pushed me over the edge.

Hi,
Nice to hear from you. Glad things are going well for you too.

I'll be more than happy to attempt to answer your question: "Why do some teams, such as OU, feel compelled to run up the score against inferior opponents? Just to humiliate them? USC could've beaten Nebraska 80-3 but pulled their starters after halftime...Just wondering... "

However, first I think we need to, as the lawyers say, stipulate a few things.

First, we need to agree on the definition of the term "running up the score."

OU vs. Tulsa = 41-point difference

USC vs. Wash State = 33 point difference, which would have indubitably been 40 if not for that last-minute interception by the Cougars.

And regarding that last situation, USC as far as I could tell was driving full speed ahead for the score. I didn't exactly see Pete Carroll telling Sanchez to take a knee so the Trojans wouldn't score again and "run up the score" for a margin exactly one point less than ours. And that's assuming that with a long 4 minutes left, USC wouldn't have been able to get the ball back one last time for yet another score.

The second thing we need to stipulate is that your statement that USC pulled its starters after the first half against Nebraska is just plain wrong. Booty and Chauncey Washington were still in in the third quarter. Look it up, since you obviously didn't watch the game yourself.

So how do you define "running up the score?" Obviously it's somewhere between a 33- and 41-point margin, so exactly where do you draw the line? 34? 35? 36? 37? 38? 39? 40? Just tell me.

Because I'm flexible, and as I said, once we can agree on the definition of "running up the score," I'll be more than happy to attempt to answer your question of why coaches do it. Although Pete Carroll could probably answer it better than I. You know, that guy that called the fake punt on Notre Dame with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter in 2004, despite the fact that the Trojans were already leading the Irish 34-10 (with starting quarterback Matt Leinart still in, mind you.) Me, I'd say that was an attempt to humiliate, but what do I know? I'm not a college football coach. Or a USC fan.

Sincerely,
SDSG

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2007, 12:19 AM
Nice reply, but somewhere there shoulda been a great big FU!

Not really...That was a perfect response to a complete idiot.

mhackl
9/23/2007, 01:11 AM
Trojanfan is scrrrrrd

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2007, 01:52 AM
trojanfan is RETARDED.

OUinFLA
9/23/2007, 12:59 PM
That's exactly what I told you to say...............

**** off, dip ****

just takes less keystrokes.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/23/2007, 01:38 PM
:D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/23/2007, 01:39 PM
Oh, I was wrong about one thing in my reply. Booty and Washington were still in vs. Nebraska until late in the 4th quarter.

goingoneight
9/23/2007, 02:08 PM
Crying about running up the score is for lOSUr.
Fixed.

Animal Mother
9/23/2007, 03:17 PM
Flush the email. You can't argue with a sick mind.

Dan Thompson
9/23/2007, 03:33 PM
We can't help it if we have that much depth.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/29/2007, 02:20 PM
In case anyone is interested in how this whole thing shook out:

I reread the reply to the Trojan that I posted here and I decided it was too obvious how ****ed I was, and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction. So I looked up a few things on the Internets and changed my reply:

His original comment to me:

I watched OU dispatch Tulsa tonight. Why do some teams, such as OU, feel compelled to run up the score against inferior opponents? Just to humiliate them? USC could've beaten Nebraska 80-3 but pulled their starters after halftime...Just wondering...

My final answer:

As for running up the score, okay, I'll bite. I'll willingly concede
that OU was running up the score against Tulsa if you can give me a
logical answer to this question: What was OU doing to run up the score
against Tulsa that USC was not doing against Washington State (and for
that matter, Nebraska)?

Yep, the Sooner starting quarterback played into the 4th quarter,
making good use of the team's receiving and running depth charts. So
did Booty. The only difference I could see was that Bradford left the
game when OU had a 26-point lead, but Booty stayed in the Washington
State game until USC had a 33-point lead. He also stayed in the
Nebraska game until USC had amassed a 32-point lead in the 4th
quarter. So unless he and Chauncey Washington are not starters, you
are mistaken in your claim that USC pulled its starters after halftime
against the Bug Eaters (the Huskers' original name, as we always like
to remind them in the Big 12. And somehow they thought Cornhuskers was
an improvement? Go figure. But I digress).

Yep, OU ended up with a 41-point win over Tulsa. USC's win over the
Cougars had a 33-point margin, but can you honestly say you think that
would have stayed the same had the Cougars not gotten the late
interception? At that point, as far as I could tell USC was on the
Washington 7 driving full speed ahead for the score. I didn't see any
USC coaches telling Sanchez to take a knee so the Trojans wouldn't
score again to reach a lead one point less than OU's vs. Tulsa. (Nor
would I have expected them to, and I don't think you would have
either.) And that's assuming that with a long 4 minutes left, USC
wouldn't have been able to shut WS's offense down--since they'd been
doing it all night--and get the ball back one last time for yet
another score, even surpassing OU's margin over Tulsa.

So again, what is it OU did to run up the score against a lesser
opponent that USC didn't do ? I'm baffled.

A week goes by. No response. Finally, last night:

"Regarding football--you follow this way more closely than I do!"

That's right. So the lesson here is, don't attempt to talk smack with a Sooners fan when you obviously do not have a clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and **** off, dip ****. :D

Cam
9/29/2007, 02:23 PM
Well done.

In case anyone is interested in how this whole thing shook out:

I reread the reply to the Trojan that I posted here and I decided it was too obvious how ****ed I was, and I didn't want to give him the satisfaction. So I looked up a few things on the Internets and changed my reply:

His original comment to me:

My final answer:

A week goes by. No response. Finally, last night:

"Regarding football--you follow this way more closely than I do!"

That's right. So the lesson here is, don't attempt to talk smack with a Sooners fan when you obviously do not have a clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and **** off, dip ****. :D

soonersweetie
9/29/2007, 02:44 PM
absolutely!!! I keep telling every one how sc fans really aren't fans in that they have no clue on the game or who their starters even are, etc., etc.

You just proved my point :)

Way to go!!!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2007, 01:02 AM
So...I know it's lame to bump my own thread, but I think it's even lamer not to be fair and balanced so I just have to say:

Today, during a job interview for a plum job I really want at the company where the Trojan (my former coworker at a different company) now works, I found out that he actually recommended me for the position. Which partially explains why they contacted me, not the other way around.

And in his email response he did acknowledge my superior football knowledge, which trumped his initial smack attempt.

That is all. Pretty decent, really.

I was, however, sorry I didn't get to see him while I was on the company premises today, because my first line would have been, "Sorry to hear your Booty got hurt!" I even rehearsed it, just in case. :D

goingoneight
10/11/2007, 01:07 AM
Shake his hand and tell him to '**** off dip ****.'

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 01:10 AM
Nothing lame about bumping your own thread when it's as entertaining as this one!

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 01:13 AM
"Sorry to hear your Booty got hurt!"

That's SO much better than George Costanza's "the jerk store called" comeback!

KantoSooner
10/11/2007, 03:14 AM
'Booty'
'Injured middle finger'

There's a joke in there somewhere, struggling to get out.

ruf/nekdad
10/11/2007, 06:15 AM
^That is so true. I'm on it...no wait, Booty was on it.....trojan.....
Damn it.