PDA

View Full Version : We have a bit of a good team this year.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah we gave up almost 400 yards to a good Tulsa offense. But we'll probably hold them to their lowest total this season. They may score more than 21 at half time for the rest of the season. I really liked our D for most of the 2nd half. I think Tulsa had about 100 yards in the 2nd half.

Our offense is just unstoppable right now. Yeah we've only played 1 defense capable of even slowing us down. But we thumped that team by 38 points. No team has started this well at OU since the Bennie Owen era. It'll be a fun ride this year. Hopefully we'll finish it off unlike another year that comes to mind.

aero
9/22/2007, 11:12 AM
The passing yardage would seem high if you just looked at that stat but the truth is 1) Tulsa has a decent team 2) just about any team with some level of D1 talent running that scheme is going to get some yards on whoever they play. I'm guessing 80% (probably more) of their plays were long yardage pass attempts. Pretty tuff to totally shut down for 4 quarters. Actually, I thought we did an exceptional job of containing them to what we did.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 11:21 AM
Tulsa will probably score more than 21 points in the first half of every game they play this year. We held them to 21 for the entire game.

Texas Golfer
9/22/2007, 11:27 AM
Tulsa will probably score more than 21 points in the first half of every game they play this year. We held them to 21 for the entire game.

Should have only been 14. Smith's TD on 4th and goal should have been stopped cold.

StoopTroup
9/22/2007, 11:27 AM
Tulsa has a very good team.

I bet they win the conference this year.

GottaHavePride
9/22/2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah we gave up almost 400 yards to the #4 offense in the country.

Fixed.

Luckily, we have the #1 offense in the country.

soonerhubs
9/22/2007, 11:36 AM
So strange to read LWS/NickZ praise a sooner team. I'm patiently waiting for you to give credit to the coaching staff.:pop:

TheUnnamedSooner
9/22/2007, 11:54 AM
Fixed.

Luckily, we have the #1 offense in the country.

Yeah, but it's not the greatest offense in the world!!

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 12:09 PM
So strange to read LWS/NickZ praise a sooner team. I'm patiently waiting for you to give credit to the coaching staff.:pop:

The only thing you can really complain about so far this year is Garrett Hartley's FG/PAT kicking and the announcers on TV. But the announcers on TV always suck.

Rhino
9/22/2007, 12:11 PM
Our offense is unbelievably balanced this year.

RedGiant
9/22/2007, 12:23 PM
The scariest thing is not how good or balanced the offense is this year but how wtf? inducing it's gonna be next year. The Big XII is already starting to pass around the lube!

GottaHavePride
9/22/2007, 12:36 PM
As long as we keep our O-line healthy.

Okla-homey
9/22/2007, 12:44 PM
I just wish the conference was more nationally respectable. I still fear that even if we run the table and win the conference, as I now feel we surely will...well, you know.

mhackl
9/22/2007, 01:06 PM
I'm glad to see positive outlooks on last nights game both here and in the national media. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with our performance last night. I expected more dominance from the run game, better tackling, and better pass coverage. Tulsa is a good team, but I was expecting more dominance. I guess I'm getting spoiled by the near flawless play of the last couple of weeks.

Ironically I picked the score on ESPN.com:
http://onmarkint.com/images/picks1.jpg
Oklahoma Sooners at Tulsa Golden Hurricane (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conversation?gameId=272640202)

Crucifax Autumn
9/23/2007, 02:42 AM
Nice guess!

CtheB
9/23/2007, 10:05 AM
I think our team is extremely efficient this year. Points make the matter, not yards. I'll give up 21 points/game all year and go undefeated. There are few teams that will hold us under that number.

For instance, you can take the ball at the 20 every possession, drive it to your opponents 40 every possession, and end the game with 450 yards and zero points. And our offense is good enough to make you pay both when you make a mistake, and when you don't.

Efficiency.

Dan Thompson
9/23/2007, 12:44 PM
Just ask TT about yardage in there lost to OSU, something like 656 yards.:eek:

Jacie
9/23/2007, 12:54 PM
If you are a head coach and/or defensive coordinator of OUr future opponents, the hottest show in the film room are clips of the Golden Hurricane offense versus the Sooners. Picture them watching the motion before the snap, the routes run by the receivers, the quarterback's movement and decision making and they must be thinking, "Hmmm . . . now if we can get our receivers to do THIS and Johnny Jack Quarterback to do THAT we can beat OU with (pick any or all) short/medium/deep passing, because our defense is WAY better than Tulsa's!"

And it is true that man for man, TU was smaller and at every position had less depth than OU. Sadly for OUr future opponents, they might be able to open up the passing game and make some yards but they won't be able to do it with any more consistency than Tulsa nor will they manage to stop OUr offense though certainly holding the Sooners to less than 60 points is a realistic goal for some of the other teams on the schedule.

The point is everyone watching OU pointed to the Miami game as the one where we'd see how the Sooners fared versus a good defense (51 points scored) and the Tulsa game as one where we'd see how the Sooners fared versus a good offense (21 points allowed), so if there is a team on the schedule that can combine the attributes of both, figure that a decent defense will allow the offense to score more, so add a touchdown there, and the decent offense will give the defense some rest to play better, so subtract a touchdown from OUr score, and that still leaves Oklahoma looking like a 2-touchdown favorite.

Yeah, the Sooners look like a good team this year.