PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like John Williams' season is over

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 09:41 AM
Ruptured achilles tendon.

stoopified
9/22/2007, 09:48 AM
Did you hear that on the postgame?Who is the source?I hate to hear that,John has palyed well when not snakebit by injury.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 09:51 AM
Did you hear that on the postgame?Who is the source?I hate to hear that,John has palyed well when not snakebit by injury.

It's in the Oklahoman today. Not on their website though.

UberSooner
9/22/2007, 09:56 AM
Man that is some serioius bad news. That cat can't catch a break. Here's to a speedy recovery.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 09:58 AM
I hope he gets a 6th year.

RedGiant
9/22/2007, 10:31 AM
That definitely sucks. That's a tough injury, I imagine he'll easily get another year.

Sooner Eclipse
9/22/2007, 10:36 AM
Damn, I feel bad for him. Poor guy cant stay on the field. He was having a monster year in 05 before he got hurt and was having an excellent year this year. Hope he gets his 6th year.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 10:36 AM
From today's DOK

OU notebook
By John Helsley

Williams out for season
Preseason concerns about the defensive end spot faded as the position became a strength through the first three games.
Concern returned Friday night, when senior starter John Williams was lost for the season to a torn Achilles tendon.
“Maybe we can get a sixth year for him,” said OU assistant Chris Wilson, who coaches the ends.
Williams limped off the field in the second half and spent the rest of the game on the sideline in a protective boot and on crutches.
Defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger was shaken up, but returned, as did tight end Jermaine Gresham, who shook off a sprained ankle.
Running back Chris Brown had to be led off the field following the game, after his head struck the hard Skelly Field turf late in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Lewis Baker was also limping at game’s end.

yermom
9/22/2007, 10:46 AM
poor guy :(

that was a pretty rough game...

zeke
9/22/2007, 10:53 AM
Darn

Hope he heels well and gets another year.

swardboy
9/22/2007, 10:56 AM
Darn

Hope he heels well and gets another year.

Yes, he's very teachable....and.....the fact that he could limp off at all could mean it's not as major as achilles tendon tears can be...but hard to recuperate from.

Texas Golfer
9/22/2007, 11:30 AM
I'm hoisting my glass to Big John for a speedy recovery and, hopefully, we'll be able to see him in a Sooner uniform next season.

stoopified
9/22/2007, 12:39 PM
LW you got enough red w/o bringing bad news too.

sooneron
9/22/2007, 12:46 PM
Damn, I feel bad for him. Poor guy cant stay on the field. He was having a monster first game in 05 before he got hurt and was having an excellent year this year. Hope he gets his 6th year.
Fixed that for you.

kevpks
9/22/2007, 12:48 PM
I wonder if we'll pull any DEs out of redshirt to add depth.

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 01:06 PM
LW you got enough red w/o bringing bad news too.

I'm barely in the red actually.

Jewstin
9/22/2007, 01:49 PM
Crap. :( If not for that stupid 15 yard roughing the passer penalty, that drive never would've happened, and he wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Grrrrrr. He's a stud. Sigh.

schlanker
9/22/2007, 04:23 PM
Is that the same injury he had against TCU a couple years ago or is this a new one? What are the chances of a medical redshirt?

Rhino
9/22/2007, 04:26 PM
I wonder if we'll pull any DEs out of redshirt to add depth. Alexander is the only one we'd even remotely consider. Anderson is way underweight and Bumpus had two knee surgeries before the season.

Dotson & English are our starters and Beal & Davis are more than adequate backups.

I doubt we'll pull Alexander's RS, but it could happen.

Rhino
9/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Is that the same injury he had against TCU a couple years ago or is this a new one? What are the chances of a medical redshirt? The TCU injury in 2005 was an ACL tear. And he was out part of 2006 with an illness.

I bet he gets the sixth year if he applies for it. In five years, he's only appeared in 13.5 games.

Rogue
9/22/2007, 04:41 PM
Man, I keep hoping he'll play a whole season. First few games each year he looks like a monster DE with loads of hustle.

boomersooner28
9/22/2007, 04:51 PM
Friggin astroturf. Outlaw it!

LittleWingSooner
9/22/2007, 08:00 PM
Here's the DE depth chart

Dotson and English obviously.

Davis, Beal, and Pryce Macon are the 3 after those 2. David Anderson and Frank Alexander will probably continue to redshirt.

soonersn2007
9/22/2007, 08:18 PM
That type of injury is easily a year out, I doubt he would be rdy till near the end of next year anyhow. I feel sorry for the guy, this really sux.

r5TPsooner
9/22/2007, 09:18 PM
That's crappy news. Hopefully the NCAA dos the right thing.

freshchris05
9/22/2007, 10:13 PM
wow.. thats terrible

p.s. when did nick turn green?? heh..

soonerhubs
9/22/2007, 10:53 PM
I just saw the news report. I really feel for the man. I pray for a miraculously speedy recovery for the guy.

budbarrybob
9/23/2007, 03:21 AM
Sounds like his CAREER is over :(
unless there's some sooner magic for him. His mobility will forever be damaged... not good for a DE
Dan Marino was never the same

OU-HSV
9/25/2007, 07:33 PM
That sucks. Hope he has a good recovery. Just saw this story on fox sports
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7263530

Williams' year over; Brown could return
Associated Press, Updated 4 hours ago

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - Oklahoma defensive end John Williams had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn Achilles' tendon and will miss the rest of the season.

"It all went as expected," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "The doctors were pleased and had nothing that was surprising. It all went the way it was supposed to."
Williams started three of No. 3 Oklahoma's first four games and had recorded one sack and four tackles for a loss before he was injured in the third quarter of last Friday's game at Tulsa. He also suffered a season-ending injury in 2005, when he tore a knee ligament in the opening game against TCU.

"It's just unfortunate. He was playing so well here," Stoops said.

Stoops said it was "just too soon to know" whether Williams, who is scheduled to graduate in December, will seek a sixth year of eligibility.

Alonzo Dotson, who started against Miami, is expected to fill Williams' defensive end position opposite Auston English on Saturday at Colorado.

"We've got other guys that are used to playing," Stoops said. "Alonzo Dotson and Auston English have been playing great. Alan Davis, Jeremy Beal, those guys have got to step up and take over in those spots, and they're more than capable."

Stoops said Chris Brown, who's been splitting time at tailback with Allen Patrick and DeMarco Murray, was able to go through conditioning and could return against the Buffaloes after smacking the back of his head on the turf against Tulsa.

"We expect him to be able to play. I'm not saying he is yet. That's something they'll check by the end of the week," Stoops said. "... There aren't any lingering signs that there's anything going on there."