PDA

View Full Version : TU Replay official!!!

The Maestro
9/22/2007, 12:04 AM
For ten years I was lucky enough to do play by play for Oklahoma Baptist University Bison basketball.

That included the years of 1995-1997 when Clay Martin played point guard for OBU, hitting a conference tournament winning jumper at the buzzer in 1996 and when he led OBU to the national title game against Life, Georgia, in 1997.

Well, Clay began his collegiate athletic career at the University of Tulsa as a wide receiver fielding passes from Gus Ferrote. Clay decided to turn his back on football and transferred to OBU to play hoops and do great things for the Bison.

After college, he was an assistant at OBU and Texas-Pan American before he became the Jenks boys basketball coach.

I have not seen Clay in a few years...but it was crazy to see him in Tulsa tonight...in the replay booth...a former TU player...as the replay official.

A friend of mine from OBU told me a few weeks ago that Clay had become an NCAA official. Much to my surprise that included football...as I learned tonight.

You think Gordo Riese was a conflict of interest? This was a former TU football player as the replay official. Hell, Clay-Mo made a helluva call, but that rivals us having JuJuan Penny as a replay official!

NCAA...GET BETTER!!!

And Clay-Mo...much love, brotha!

aurorasooner
9/22/2007, 12:11 AM
Anyone get a Tivo screenshot of MK's foot on that TD ruled OB? I haven't watched it back but the TV replay was a little too high and it looked awful close if it was completely in or on the line. I was surprised the replay official didn't look at it. I still think that representatives of both schools playing should have observers in the replay booth to monitor but not comment on the procedures.

Miko
9/22/2007, 12:15 AM
No, you're right. The replay coverage was inconclusive at best :rolleyes:

It looked to me like he may have been on the line, but you couldn;t tell it from espn's coverage. But boy, do I feel like have a much better insight on ND's problems..........:rolleyes:

OU Adonis
9/22/2007, 12:15 AM
He was bobbling the ball.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 12:16 AM
all of the TV replays sucked...

Miko
9/22/2007, 12:23 AM
I'll have to re-watch but it sure seemed worse than usual. Maybe I missed all the good replays when I stepped out as they dug up Knute Rockne and Ara P. join in the booth as they ignored of the football game....

KantoSooner
9/22/2007, 12:26 AM
I'm being deluged by email from friends on the east coast who insist that the officiating was heavily slanted toward OU. "Worst since Oregon last year" is the consensus.
Was it that controversial? Or is my (middle) leg getting pulled?
(sorry - but I don't get video over here, just Bob Barry and Merv........)

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 12:27 AM
I'll have to re-watch but it sure seemed worse than usual. Maybe I missed all the good replays when I stepped out as they dug up Knute Rockne and Ara P. join in the booth as they ignored of the football game....

...and the Gipper....GGGEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ...

GottaHavePride
9/22/2007, 12:29 AM

But it looked like his left hand was under it. ;) we still won by 41, though.

Miko
9/22/2007, 12:33 AM
Was it that controversial? Or is my (middle) leg getting pulled?
(sorry - but I don't get video over here, just Bob Barry and Merv........)

I thought we got away with a few hits - the early one out of bounds and later on smith. And I thought they got away with several blatant holds when they moved the pocket. But I darn sure don;t think any of them affected the outcome in the slightest.

Soonerus
9/22/2007, 12:38 AM
But it looked like his left hand was under it. ;) we still won by 41, though.

I totally agree his left hand was under the ball and it was a great play...darn the replay officials.

StuIsTheMan
9/22/2007, 12:40 AM
Go Gordo..it's yer birthday...

This is Bubba for those of you that know me:D

OKC-SLC
9/22/2007, 09:25 AM
I actually thought the game was officiated fairly (Maestro, I know you aren't suggesting otherwise).

But that is serious BS by the NCAA. What do I have to do to be the replay official at OU games? Would you guys nominate me? I'd do it for free.

OKC-SLC
9/22/2007, 09:26 AM
I still think that representatives of both schools playing should have observers in the replay booth to monitor but not comment on the procedures.
This would be a great idea--fair and evenhanded.

Therefore, the NCAA will never allow it.

XingTheRubicon
9/22/2007, 09:33 AM
Apparently blatant holding was OK last night. Our O-line got away with a quite a few and Auston English was held on pretty much every play.

critical_phil
9/22/2007, 09:36 AM
Apparently blatant holding was OK last night. Our O-line got away with a quite a few.....

God help us if they decide to start calling holding.

srsly.

stoopified
9/22/2007, 09:45 AM
I thought we got away with a few hits - the early one out of bounds and later on smith. And I thought they got away with several blatant holds when they moved the pocket. But I darn sure don;t think any of them affected the outcome in the slightest.
That play on the boundary wasn't called because Smith still was half on,half off the field.As long as at least one foot is still on the field the refs let it go UNLESS helmet to helmet or some other element is involved.I've seen it not called under the same conditions when it is OUr guy getting hit.I don't know if that is in the rules or just a rule of thumb(lke differing strikezones in baseball).In any case you are right ,officiating had no affect on the outcome of the game.You are also correct about TU holding on pass protection.

bluedogok
9/22/2007, 11:47 AM
On the radio broadcast Trent Smith said MK admitted he bobbled the ball.

On the interception, it seemed like the ball might have rolled off his hand and hit the field before he rolled over with the ball. I kind of saw it as it could go either way. Not enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call or reverse it. I don't have a problem with that reversal.