PDA

View Full Version : After game analysis...

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:08 PM
...I am glad we had to face a little adversity against Tulsa and overcame it with flying colors...

critical_phil
9/21/2007, 11:15 PM
After game analwarts would be a perfect copy-cat thread for getting banned.

birddog
9/21/2007, 11:17 PM
another in-depth analysis, rus.

blah blah blah, we passed with flying colors.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:20 PM
After game analwarts would be a perfect copy-cat thread for getting banned.

You have kind of a ban-noia...relaxl...

sooneron
9/21/2007, 11:20 PM
I don't call one sentence any sort of analysis. Are you with the state department or something?

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:21 PM
another in-depth analysis, rus.

blah blah blah, we passed with flying colors.

Hey, you think they might work on pass defense a little...

King Crimson
9/21/2007, 11:21 PM
we gave up 356 yards passing.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:22 PM
250 in the first half...

soonersn2007
9/21/2007, 11:23 PM
Was the poor pass defense due to play or scheme?

critical_phil
9/21/2007, 11:28 PM
Was the poor pass defense due to play or scheme?

i believe that issue was addressed ad nauseum in Rusty's analysis.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:28 PM
My analysis, good, mobile QB and the first one we have seen this year, it took some time to adjust but we ended up just wearing out Smith ...

tigepilot
9/21/2007, 11:29 PM
OU always seems to have a problem early in the season with spread offenses that use a quarterback that can also run well. The glass half full types will look at this as probobly the best performance against this type of foe in the Stoops era. The glass half empty types well say OU gave up 356 yards passing. Considering that the only offense I can think of that OU is scheduled to face that is remotely similar is that of Techs (which OU typically handles that offense well) I'm not worried at this point... but yeah, not the most dominating performance I've seen, at least until the second half.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:29 PM
i believe that issue was addressed ad nauseum in Rusty's analysis.

funny...serious...:D

aurorasooner
9/21/2007, 11:31 PM
Just over looking at the stats. Paul Smith was 22/32 for 350 yards. Our pass D rating will take a hit, but this kid is a helluva QB imo. Sam also had another excellent game. 15/21 for 242 yards and 3 TDs. Iggy had 7 catches for 141 yards and 2 TDs. (He needs to take MK out for a nice meal for getting all the double coverage). AP 19 carries for 146 yards (7.7 ypg). Tulsa had almost 400 yards total O but we had 552 yards TO.
Overall I think it's good our DBs faced Tulsa and got a good workout. IMO, it was a good learning game for them. I also think TU will have a lot more 5 or 6 hundred yard total offense games and light some people up. Paul Smith has a good chance for some post season QB awards as well. I do hope he gets one. Seems like a quality kid.

soonersn2007
9/21/2007, 11:32 PM
That Smith kid had good pocket presence and damn good accuracy, what was bothersome was how open their receivers were. Our defensive rush wasn't quite up to par...........LB's turned in a good game.

As far as offense, no complaints.

StoopTroup
9/21/2007, 11:35 PM
I think Tulsa tonight was a better test than Texas will be...

If Tulsa were to play the whorns...I'd take Tulsa and the points.

birddog
9/21/2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?p=364702&posted=1#post364702

here's my analysis: apparently there were alot of sooner fans with mullets.

birddog
9/21/2007, 11:36 PM
I think Tulsa tonight was a better test than Texas will be...

If Tulsa were to play the whorns...I'd take Tulsa and the points.

it would probably be tulsa +16. i'd take the cane in that one too.

UberSooner
9/21/2007, 11:38 PM
We seem to run up against this every year. I panic and typically we pull it out and make me feel stupid for screaming at the D. Part of is my delusional belief that we should be perfect. I don't want to give up one yard and I want to score 100. Part of it is our D system. Its aggressive up front with room in the middle. If the safteys bite, we get smoked by a good Q-back a few times a game. If they have a running attack that has some success, we get burned a little more consistently. I think its just the nature of Stoop's D mentality . . . bend but don't break. Or I could be just a tinsy bit hammered, i'm goin to beddy bye. Got a 7:30 scramble because I can't say no. God I hate dewy golf shoes.

StoopTroup
9/21/2007, 11:39 PM
I seriously think there were quite a few OU Fans going to their 1st OU game tonight...

birddog
9/21/2007, 11:42 PM
That Smith kid had good pocket presence and damn good accuracy, what was bothersome was how open their receivers were. Our defensive rush wasn't quite up to par...........LB's turned in a good game.

As far as offense, no complaints.

it's hard to stay with the receivers for such a long time, especially when they're zig zagging all over the damn field. those roll outs gave him all day. it wasn't that we weren't getting through the o line, it's just that he was outside the pocket when we got there. and that dude can hurl that sumbich when he rolls out to the left.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:42 PM
This is as an amazing start as I can ever remember...except maybe 71...

GottaHavePride
9/21/2007, 11:46 PM
According to ESPN.com, the only other time we've ever posted 50 points a game for four in a row was 2003.

Soonerus
9/21/2007, 11:48 PM
I am not disputing that, I just do not remember it...I guess Texas would be the 4th in 03....

RedGiant
9/22/2007, 01:11 AM
Bob had defensive armbands on in the second-half when they finally got TU under control. Perhaps the 250 yards they hung on them was cause for more involvement from Stoops and hence the improved performance.

goingoneight
9/22/2007, 01:50 AM
That and we just flat-out caught onto their scheme and wore them down with OUr depth. TU is a great team this year. They won't turn in an embarassing product like a majority of the BIG 12 "rivals" will this year.

rainiersooner
9/22/2007, 02:05 AM
Bob had defensive armbands on in the second-half when they finally got TU under control. Perhaps the 250 yards they hung on them was cause for more involvement from Stoops and hence the improved performance.

I noticed that too...one of the first times I recall seeing that on him too.

illinisooner
9/22/2007, 02:34 AM
I'm glad the pass D finally got a real test before Big 12 play, and I'd give em a C tonight. Part of it is the schemes we run, and the other part is simply blown coverages. Not too concerned about it, it was the first real passing team we'd seen, but certainly not what you'd expect from the best secondary in the country, as some have said. Colorado does some similar stuff, with guys coming in motion for handoffs, direct snaps, etc, so it's also a nice prep for the Buffs. I think the problems will be solved after watching film this week.

Offense looked great, I was impressed with how Bradford responded after the pick. Was surprised that Malcolm wasn't involved more, but I'm not complaining about stats when we put 62 on the board. All of the running backs looked great, as did the o line. Tulsa's d line was inexperienced and small, so it's no real surprise that we dominated in the trenches. I liked when Spielman pointed out the 220 pound DE going against 350 pound Loadholt, and then the Load just pounded the poor guy into the ground.

stoopified
9/22/2007, 06:16 AM
Hey, you think they might work on pass defense a little...You don't like the MATADOR coverage package we used in the first half? :) OLE!

Readyfor8
9/22/2007, 07:02 AM
My analysis, good, mobile QB and the first one we have seen this year, it took some time to adjust but we ended up just wearing out Smith ...

Yeap, Sammy Bradford is looking like a modern day Nate Hybl... :D

ruf/nekdad
9/22/2007, 07:14 AM
That and we just flat-out caught onto their scheme and wore them down with OUr depth. TU is a great team this year. They won't turn in an embarassing product like a majority of the BIG 12 "rivals" will this year.

Well said sir.

sanantoniosooner
9/22/2007, 08:39 AM
The depth of analysis is dizzying.

Good show Rus.

jduggle
9/22/2007, 10:41 AM
I'm glad the pass D finally got a real test before Big 12 play, and I'd give em a C tonight. Part of it is the schemes we run, and the other part is simply blown coverages. Not too concerned about it, it was the first real passing team we'd seen, but certainly not what you'd expect from the best secondary in the country, as some have said. Colorado does some similar stuff, with guys coming in motion for handoffs, direct snaps, etc, so it's also a nice prep for the Buffs. I think the problems will be solved after watching film this week.

Offense looked great, I was impressed with how Bradford responded after the pick. Was surprised that Malcolm wasn't involved more, but I'm not complaining about stats when we put 62 on the board. All of the running backs looked great, as did the o line. Tulsa's d line was inexperienced and small, so it's no real surprise that we dominated in the trenches. I liked when Spielman pointed out the 220 pound DE going against 350 pound Loadholt, and then the Load just pounded the poor guy into the ground.

It's no secret that Venables plays zone defense. I have to assume that Stoops is a believer in zone defense too. But, when you play cover 2 and cover 3 as OU did last night the seams in the zone are wide open. And...the very thing the cover 2 is designed to guard against....the long ball....continues to be one our secondary's weaknesses. A good QB with a little pass protection will pick apart a cover 2 every time.

A good contrast to our defensive philosophy is Saban's Alabama. He plays man.

JohnnyMack
9/22/2007, 10:54 AM
It's no secret that Venables plays zone defense. I have to assume that Stoops is a believer in zone defense too. But, when you play cover 2 and cover 3 as OU did last night the seams in the zone are wide open. And...the very thing the cover 2 is designed to guard against....the long ball....continues to be one our secondary's weaknesses. A good QB with a little pass protection will pick apart a cover 2 every time.

A good contrast to our defensive philosophy is Saban's Alabama. He plays man.

I don't think BV and Bob trust our corners enough to try that just yet.

Our DB's still have very limited awareness of the ball it seems. BJW needs to work on that. They seem stiff (jkm would be talking about swivel hips at this point) and are trying to make up in speed what they lack in understanding.

We played cover 2 or 3 most of the game and never seemed too concerned about showing too much in the way of blitz packages. We played some more dime and showed some three man fronts in the second half, nothing too exciting. Bob knew we were better than TU and that we'd eventually wear them down.

Paul Smith is too talented and TU has too many receivers for them not to get yards and points.

As for CU heading into next week I predict more of the same from our defense. The Buffs are still seriously lacking in talent on offense. I'd take Tulsa straight up over Colorado right now on a neutral site or at TU.

jduggle
9/22/2007, 11:52 AM
I don't think BV and Bob trust our corners enough to try that just yet.

Our DB's still have very limited awareness of the ball it seems. BJW needs to work on that. They seem stiff (jkm would be talking about swivel hips at this point) and are trying to make up in speed what they lack in understanding.

We played cover 2 or 3 most of the game and never seemed too concerned about showing too much in the way of blitz packages. We played some more dime and showed some three man fronts in the second half, nothing too exciting. Bob knew we were better than TU and that we'd eventually wear them down.

Paul Smith is too talented and TU has too many receivers for them not to get yards and points.

As for CU heading into next week I predict more of the same from our defense. The Buffs are still seriously lacking in talent on offense. I'd take Tulsa straight up over Colorado right now on a neutral site or at TU.

I totally agree with you. I just don't understand how our DB's are caught so badly out of position sometimes. My opinion is our defenses in the past have been too aggressive, and overpursue trying to come up with the big play or turnover. And in our attempt to make a big play, we expose ourselves to getting burned. We just need to contain by staying on assignments and in coverage.

RedGiant
9/22/2007, 12:44 PM
I think a big problem is the linebackers not getting back into their zones and getting into the passing lanes quick enough and once they are in their zones they concentrate more on the QB run threat more than they do on their zones. On teams before Mike left the LB's were making passes far more difficult to make. The DB's are still out of position and their technique is just not very polished. Crossing routes kill them because the LB's aren't there to slow down the receiver and coverage out of their 3 deep is still lacking. However, this D seems to be coming up with important turnovers which is something that the last few seasons have not seen.

bluedogok
9/22/2007, 12:50 PM
I would take them in Boulder as well.

mightysooner
9/22/2007, 02:23 PM
I think Tulsa got many yards for several reasons. Obviously they're a good team with a QB who will get drafted. Also.....they completely abandoned their running game and threw every down once we got up 21-7 and threw the rest of the game. But......that wussy zone defense we run irks me to no end. It's why we lost to Boise State in the fiesta bowl. Any decent QB can shred a zone defense if he has any time to throw. I'd like to see us be more aggressive and jam at the line and play more bump and run. We have the athletes to do that yet we don't utilize them the way we should IMO. Marcus and Reggie don't suck.

mhackl
9/22/2007, 05:25 PM
(Video) Tim Brando's worried about us running up the score. Evidently there was almost a riot at the end of the Tulsa game because of it. http://www.sportsline.com/video/play...all?id=150793s (http://www.sportsline.com/video/player/collegefootball?id=150793s)

JohnnyMack
9/22/2007, 07:11 PM
(Video) Tim Brando's worried about us running up the score. Evidently there was almost a riot at the end of the Tulsa game because of it. http://www.sportsline.com/video/play...all?id=150793s (http://www.sportsline.com/video/player/collegefootball?id=150793s)

No there wasn't.

jduggle
9/22/2007, 07:22 PM
I think a big problem is the linebackers not getting back into their zones and getting into the passing lanes quick enough and once they are in their zones they concentrate more on the QB run threat more than they do on their zones. On teams before Mike left the LB's were making passes far more difficult to make. The DB's are still out of position and their technique is just not very polished. Crossing routes kill them because the LB's aren't there to slow down the receiver and coverage out of their 3 deep is still lacking. However, this D seems to be coming up with important turnovers which is something that the last few seasons have not seen.

Right on the money. It's the LB's job to stay put and there were many plays when they were clueless about where they were supposed to be. I agree with the other post that would like to our db's do a little jamming. This would take a lot of pressure off the lb's to guard the crossing route.

I like others thought it was something new to see Stoops wearing a play band and I thought I saw him mouthing defensive plays into his headset. The defense did a lot better in the 2nd half which is when Stoops seemingly took over the play calling. I hope the press asks him that question during his press conference next week.

mhackl
9/22/2007, 07:22 PM
No there wasn't.
I know, I was there. They're trying to create some drama at our expense.

Friday games stink, we were hardly even mention on College Gameday this morning and there's very little press elsewhere.