PDA

View Full Version : Buzzards circling in College Station

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2007, 04:19 PM
Students are trying to organize a "Black-Out" for the upcoming Baylor game at Kyle Field to show support for the team and send a message to Bill Byrne.

Me, I've never been into such gestures, but it seems to be what Aggies are really good at. The most "organized" college campus? I didn't come here to argue that, however...

What I want to say is that game was an embarrassment to A&M and to the Big XII as a whole. As an Aggie, I'll just say I'm sorry. Obviously, this thing is not in my hands, and yet I feel some weird sense of culpability. I respect the people on this site, and for 3 or 4 years now have enjoyed the comraderie it offers. And for some reason I feel like I owe you an apology for how bad my team stunk it up last night.

The sad thing is, I really don't think Miami is that great; we are just that clueless on the field. After we beat Baylor and OSU, I don't see too many more winnable games on the schedule ;-)

With the media taking aim at Fran like never before, you've got to believe this is his last season. Hopefully, the next coach can come in and make good use out of the great facilities and a fanbase that is dying to support a winner. Fran has squandered it all.

You guys don't know how good you have it with Stoops at the helm.

badger
9/21/2007, 04:23 PM

I think we do--- he is the second (stupid Bamers) highest paid coach in college, after all :)

SeattleOUstudent
9/21/2007, 04:42 PM
I was at the game when the propeller-ed buzzards were circling over Owen Field to kick out Gary Gibbs. I believe that was vs KSU or KU (they all look the same). Not one of my better OU memories. I actually felt sorry for the guy....

hope they keep Fran. I like kicking his butt.

Rogue
9/21/2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, GG was in a spot like Mike Shula. Did his job "cleaning up," but it wasn't enough. Fran has no excuse like "probation." Bammers hate him, Aggies hate him, he's going to end up coaching little league somewhere.

Miko
9/21/2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, GG was in a spot like Mike Shula. Did his job "cleaning up," but it wasn't enough. Fran has no excuse like "probation." Bammers hate him, Aggies hate him, he's going to end up coaching little league somewhere.

He's going to stoolwater? I thought Gundy was pretty secure. What with that offense and all.

Blues1
9/21/2007, 04:52 PM
JMHO- I think you lost to a very good Miami team - their defense look excellent ..And their offense was an improvement over what we faced...

I dislike Miami as 99% and 1/2 of all Sooners - but to me this are just the real facts...Has Your Coach done his best Job...?? - If this is his only Blowout loss for this Season then maybe yes -- IF your team cannot recover and falls apart from this loss then Fran will be coaching some small college next year...

It could be worse just ask any ND fans.... ;)

Taxman71
9/21/2007, 04:54 PM
Should have cut Fran loose after 77-0. No decent coach could have let that happen, much less bend over, accept it and apologize for the length of time it took. Especially considering the guy is making mega$$.

Has he changed coordinators since his run at TCU and Bama?

TexasSooner01
9/21/2007, 04:54 PM

Yes we do.

But we also know what it is like to be where A&M is now. I remember sitting in the stands at Kyle Field watching Blake totally suc. It was pouring down rain and it never let up...it was hard to stay and watch but I did. We lost and we looked horrible losing. Then Stoops took over and won OUr 7th NC with the talent that Blake recruited (sp?).

We love OUr Coach!!! :D

SOONERKAT
9/21/2007, 04:59 PM
Fran needs to cut bait and run. I have 11, count 'em, 11 ags in my office right now and you would think the school burned down yesterday or something. These guys are ready to lynch Fran and have been talking about the "blackout" all day. Last night was bad, and from what I could tell (not that I'm some coaching expert) it was all on the coaches. There was no excuse for continuing to try to run the ball when it just wasn't going to happen. I'l stop here, b/c there is nothing that I can recount that anyone else here did not see or hear about already.

That said, not that it makes any of the ags feel better, but I would mind having that Tupe kid on our squad. Seriously, how many tackles did he have last night, about 30?

MRNOTDUCKS
9/21/2007, 05:09 PM
Hopefully, the next coach can come in and make good use out of the great facilities and a fanbase that is dying to support a winner.

I'm going to lower the bar...
Hell, a fanbase that is dying to support a team headed in the right direction.

aurorasooner
9/21/2007, 05:10 PM
no telling what would be happening now if that Fresno receiver doesn't try to extend that ball over the goal line, and Fresno beats aggie at Kyle. Losing to Miami would be mild compared to that.

Jeronimo
9/21/2007, 05:31 PM
Sooner fans know exactly what we have. And trust me, we do NOT take it for granted. We enjoy every second we get to see the Sooners do what they do best. These are the good times. If we slip, you bet your *** we get up and knock your *** out next time. Ask Miami.

OUinFLA
9/21/2007, 06:00 PM
What's wrong with Fran?

I'm glad he's aTm's coach.

So are the Crimson Tide.

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2007, 06:01 PM
I would donate my left testicle to the OL if it meant beating the hell out of those maroon wearing goose stepping morons.

OUinFLA
9/21/2007, 06:08 PM
I would donate my left testicle to the OL if it meant beating the hell out of those maroon wearing goose stepping morons.

Haven't you donated your left one to the girl who took your right one?
Just so she could have a complete set?

SicEmBaylor
9/21/2007, 06:17 PM
Haven't you donated your left one to the girl who took your right one?
Just so she could have a complete set?
She declined to accept my testicle.

r5TPsooner
9/21/2007, 06:21 PM
If I were an A&M fan I'd be ****ed too. What has Fran done that's positive in College Station, regarding the football program since his arrival.

We really need A&M to be somewhat successful if we want the Big XII to be a respected major conference.

SoonerBBall
9/21/2007, 06:52 PM
You know, I dislike most of the Aggie pomp and circumstance that surrounds their football program, but those "black outs" are serious damn business there.

Lest we forget, we went into Kyle Field with a #1 ranking and lost to Reggie McNeal playing his best game ever during a black out.

r5TPsooner
9/21/2007, 06:54 PM
You know, I dislike most of the Aggie pomp and circumstance that surrounds their football program, but those "black outs" are serious damn business there.

Lest we forget, we went into Kyle Field with a #1 ranking and lost to Reggie McNeal playing his best game ever during a black out.

Thanks for that shi**ay memory.

Bartender, pour me another.

OUinFLA
9/21/2007, 06:55 PM
WTH is a blackout?

I mean other than a loss of electricity at night.

r5TPsooner
9/21/2007, 06:56 PM
WTH is a blackout?

I mean other than a loss of electricity at night.

It's a statement by the student body and the fan base.

Bad karma man.

trwxxa
9/21/2007, 10:15 PM

That game was "maroon out". Get it right man.;)

Sooner_Havok
9/22/2007, 12:09 AM
That game was "moron out". Get it right man.;)

Then why were there even any aggies in the stands?
:D

StoopTroup
9/22/2007, 12:12 AM
A blackout is what happens when OU scores 99+ points on you at a Stadium that doesn't have a scoreboard with 3 digit technology...

LoyalFan
9/22/2007, 05:15 AM

See here, Grace Harper! Errrr...I mean Grasshopper(or do I?) Two things;
If the MMTTBBBB ( Mighty Marching Thumping Tweetling Blatting Baylor Bear Band), leading the BU student body, and the FTAB (Fightin' Texas Aggie Band) n' Corps were parading at the same time, on parallel avenues, which would the populace be flocking to see and hear?
And, a huge number of those "goose-stepping morons" have given their lives in defense of freedom and America. They continue to do so today.
Yeah, there are some weird (to most) customs and traditions at Aand/orM but the lifelong loyalties and bonds they engender and reinforce more than compensate.
An Aggie I ain't, but I count my close friendships with some Aggies, one in particular, to be a gift for which I am most grateful . I may well be alive today because I served alongside a couple of Aggies in a place far away...so long ago. In fact, during one particularly harrowing night in that Asian land, it was the calm counsel, over the radio, of an Aggie alum Major that steadied this all-too-young Captain and inspired him to deeds he never thought possible. If I could have, I'd have taken my lady's name off my tank turret and painted HIS on.
Here's to you, Nick, wherever you are.

LF
Drive the saber to the hilt for Garryowen!

PS: So how's it goin', romance-wise? Well, I hope.

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2007, 12:05 PM
See here, Grace Harper! Errrr...I mean Grasshopper(or do I?) Two things;
If the MMTTBBBB ( Mighty Marching Thumping Tweetling Blatting Baylor Bear Band), leading the BU student body, and the FTAB (Fightin' Texas Aggie Band) n' Corps were parading at the same time, on parallel avenues, which would the populace be flocking to see and hear?
And, a huge number of those "goose-stepping morons" have given their lives in defense of freedom and America. They continue to do so today.
Yeah, there are some weird (to most) customs and traditions at Aand/orM but the lifelong loyalties and bonds they engender and reinforce more than compensate.
An Aggie I ain't, but I count my close friendships with some Aggies, one in particular, to be a gift for which I am most grateful . I may well be alive today because I served alongside a couple of Aggies in a place far away...so long ago. In fact, during one particularly harrowing night in that Asian land, it was the calm counsel, over the radio, of an Aggie alum Major that steadied this all-too-young Captain and inspired him to deeds he never thought possible. If I could have, I'd have taken my lady's name off my tank turret and painted HIS on.
Here's to you, Nick, wherever you are.

LF
Drive the saber to the hilt for Garryowen!

PS: So how's it goin', romance-wise? Well, I hope.
lol, Band smack! Honestly, is this the best that an Aggie fan can do? You're not an Aggie but surely there's a better argument than that to be had. I mean really, comparing their Corps band with the BUGWB?

And yes LF, many of them have given their lives in support of this nation in the armed services. MANY students from EVERY University (and believe it or not even Baylor...we've got their names all over campus) give their lives in defense of this country who are both members of ROTC and sometimes not. There's nothing unique about Aggies giving their lives to this country from any other university or segment of American society. They're sure as hell not going to get credit for "giving their lives" while they're still a bunch of Corps idiots.

Now, if by "weird" you mean "totally insane and sometimes disturbing in a psychotic ward sort of way" then yes you could call it that. Squeezing your nut sack in order to feel the pain of your team on the field is pretty damned fraekin' weird. The fact that it seems completely normal and fine for them to do so is even more disturbing.

As for your friends, I'm sure they're all great people outside of A&M. I know some great guys that are Aggies who turn into freaking idiots when "church is in session." That's true of a lot of schools, but there's something uniquely insane when the Aggies do it.

LoyalFan
9/23/2007, 05:36 AM
Look, I apologize for using your real name in my previous post. OK?...jes' kiddin', o'course.

So far as numbers go; For years A&M was the largest single source of commissioned officers for the armed forces. While I certainly acknowledge that virtually all schools have lost sons in defense of freedom Aggies have fallen in numbers that can only be approached by the losses among grads of the service academies.

Band smack? You call the Ags goose-stepping idiots and that's not smack?
FYI, they do not, never have, and never will goose-step. In fact, the last person I saw goose-stepping was a Baylor kid who had OD'd on burritos and Tecate(TM) and was making a beeline for the restroom at an IH35 rest stop.

You don't need to educate me on combat losses, Sickels, I've seen the elephant in person, laddie, and lost friends from West Point to Washington U., Norwich to Nebraska U., OCS to Oregon State, and others too numerous to recall.
Let's get back to basics. May I recommend a good recruiter?
Carry on.

LF

PS: Click to see pretty good example of goose-stepping, a few moments into the clip. If you DO watch the whole thing, you will be well rewarded with some SERIOUS EYE CANDY when the Chilean dancers take the field...not kiddin' this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-4NNhExkGc&mode=related&search=

fadada1
9/23/2007, 07:07 AM
And, a huge number of those "goose-stepping morons" have given their lives in defense of freedom and America.
since when did a&m become a military school?? i know what your saying, but there is a perception that aggytech is a military school... and it simply isn't. many of those "goose-stepping morons" are exactly that... morons. they make neidermeyer look like patton. it's a shame that the corps, which doesn't secure you a military career (unless you call mall security a military career) has, to a degree, a perception of a bunch of lunatics

don't get me wrong, they HAVE military tradition, but so do a lot of other colleges. go into our union and look at the names of students/faculty that gave their lives. a lot of the posters on this board have military experience (as do i).

my point??? i don't know, it's early and i'm at work. the end.

LoyalFan
9/23/2007, 09:40 AM
Fadada,

Slight correction/clarification...
Until the 70's ROTC participation was required of all male first and second year students at Texas A&M, as it was at many (though mostly private) schools. Those with prior service, medical exemptions, or past a certain age were exempted, of course. Those wishing to pursue a commission took something called the RQ exam, with those passing continuing in the military or naval sciences during their Junior and Senior years...worked for me, though an Aggies I ain't. So, yes, A&M and others WERE virtually de facto military schools.
The Corps at A&M is an amalgamation of Military/Naval ROTC students as well as those who participate under the still rigorous Drill and Ceremonies system though not enrolled in Mil/Nav Science courses and not pursuing a Service career.
Think of it this way...Not everyone in The Pride is a Music Major, right?
D n' C cadets participate to carry on a family tradition, benefit from the discipline and camaraderie to be found, or just to "belong" to a grand tradition. The rest of the Corps are seriously seeking service to this nation as a commissioned officer in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps.
Call them morons if you will, but a famous warrior by the name of *George Patton once stated he'd be unstoppable if he had more officers from Aggieland.
Sure, some of their customs seem a bit over the top...I agree with that assessment. Even I poke a little fun at the Ags now and then. Why, then, is it that even our home crowd majority (See: Sober, not on crack, minus mullet) seems enthralled when the FTAB performs at Owen Field.
When the entire Corps visited San Antonio for a game at the Alamodome, they paraded through downtown and there was not much standing room left for latecomers. Must be a reason...right?
BTW, I'm abundantly aware of Sooners who gave their all, trust me on that.
Sorry you have to work on a Sunday. Dare I hope you get double o'time?

LF

*"Saint George" to we Cavalry types...(see: Tankers)

CtheB
9/23/2007, 09:50 AM
And only two months ago, Fran the Great was calling out Oklahoma and Texas at media days. Fran's days are numbered.

Again, first half against Miami, Javorskie gets zero touches.
Tries to run option against a team clearly faster than his.
Ignores past trends of running right at them.
And has turned a great passer into nothing more than a socket wrench in his offense.

fadada1
9/23/2007, 10:02 AM
Fadada,

Sorry you have to work on a Sunday. Dare I hope you get double o'time?

LF

*"Saint George" to we Cavalry types...(see: Tankers)
sounds all good to me. and thanks for the good info. they're still looney;)

double OT??? heh. i'll tell my boss... he'll get a chuckle out of that one.